More of His Spirit-Seminar Three (Day 2)

spirit

Welcome back to the Women’s Bible Cafe, as we grow in faith with one another. We’re an online small group sharing and discussing the Bible together.

Like any Bible study, we’re each at a different place in our workbooks. Some of you are ahead in the workbook and some are just now reading the second week of study. No problem, the online format allows you to study at your own pace and post a comment to join the discussions.

We’re still Pursuing More of Jesus with Anne Graham Lotz as we continue with the third week of study. This week we explore scripture verses from John 14 as we seek More of His Spirit.

Today’s Scripture Verse

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. John 14:16-19

Thank you Father for sending the spirit to be in us, for not leaving us here as orphans. You came to us and live in us, we praise your name. Amen.

Individual Activity

Complete pages 52-53 in your workbook.

Group Activity

What are your thoughts about today’s verse?

• Theresa says:

I too don’t really have much to say on this one. It spoke to me as a reassurance more than anything.

The Father, The Son and the Holy Ghost. Three Separates but One Whole.

Jesus left us to sit at the right hand of The Father but wanted to make sure that he didn’t leave us alone. The Holy Ghost/Spirit takes up place in us so that when we seek we will find.

All I can really say to that is WOW and Thanks for Blessing me with the Holy Counselor.

Makes me wonder why we sometimes depend on others for reassurance, when it’s right here in our Bible and resides inside our hearts! How conditioned humans are, to seek reassurance from their parents, family, coworkers, neighbors and friends. When we need reassurance, we should speak to the Counselor who knows us and guides us. I need to reflect more on this today.

• pam says:

Spirit of truth….do you sometimes feel as though you see things differently than a lot of people around you? That you don’t just go with the flow? If so, it is probably the Spirit’s at work in you. We in our old nature would probably go along with what everyone else was doing or thinking. But if we really believe in Christ, and I love Ann’s talk and list of things that we need to be convinced of, than we have His Spirit in us.

So much of Christ’s talk was about abiding in Him and He would abide in us, and I have to admit I don’t get how it works, but find that I find myself agreeing wholeheartedly when I am with convicted, convinced Christians. But that there are a lot of people who say they believe, but are not convinced.
    I think it is that many want a Saviour, but they don’t want a Lord.

(Not discussions we are having here, where people are legitimately trying to learn. I’ve been in so many talks where people think that the Bible is ambivalent, not clear, not inspired, not whatever, and that is what I am referring to here. I appreciate this study very much and read all the inputs and learn from many. So please don’t think this applies where it doesn’t.)

His love towards us is unconditional. But, our love towards Him is often conditional. We only want so much of Him, or we only want Him on our terms, without any changes in our life. Yet, He calls us to be true to Him. He calls for that convinced believing. When He says things as yest, that if you believe then you will obey, it is more an injunction about us than about Him. In other words, He loves us, but do we love Him? and how does it show in our life? Are we being obedient to Him? Are we more loving, forgiving, obedient in our moral lives? That is how it shows we love Him. Not that He loves conditionally, but that we do. His Spirit speaks to us regarding this, and we have that check in our hearts that we are obeying, or not. It is a relationship based on His love for us, and our response is to be out of love for Him. We may respond in fear initially, as Ann said, the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, but as we grow in our walk, than His perfect love, for only God can love perfectly, His perfect love casts out our fear. As we grow in our relationship, the Spirit speaks more to and through us, and He only speaks truth.

• Desiree says:

I am really overwhelmed with this scripture and have no idea what it means or which direction it leads me. I think it is saying that Jesus is always with us, but I don’t understand the significance in it other than that we always carry God within our hearts. I will refrain from saying anymore because I honestly don’t have a clue on how to apply this scripture to my study or my life. 🙁

• Penny says:

I had not noticed that the scripture says ANOTHER counselor….Jesus is our counselor and the Holy Spirit is our counselor.

Thanks Penny. I recall several scripture verses with Jesus as the Counselor. With your words, the “connection” makes sense. Jesus was leaving us and wanted to make sure we had another Counselor here on earth. His love is evident when he says he does not want to leave us orphans: Jesus loves his children! His words give me comfort and peace.

In this verse, Jesus is comforting the disciples by telling them they will not be alone on earth. It is to their advantage that Jesus leaves, so the Counselor may come.

I feel secure knowing that the Counselor is always with me and I do not need to seek him. When I face a mountain-such as a family illness-I know I’m not alone. If my child lies in a hospital bed, and I need to leave in order to find Jesus, I would feel orphaned. Instead, I’m secure in knowledge that the spirit resides in me and hears my prayer. Like the disciples, I too, am comforted knowing that the Counselor has taken up residence in my life.