More of His Courage-Seminar Two (Day 5)

We’re back! I had a brief interruption in my day when I was called to get my kids from school-IMMEDIATELY. Seems one of the kids in Junior High had confirmed H1N1 Swine Flu, so the entire school -Preschool to Junior High-shut down for “disinfecting.” School will resume on Monday.

wallbibleThe absolute best part of the Online Women’s Bible Study is flexibility. Even with an interruption in my planned schedule, I can visit the Bible Cafe and connect with other women of faith. Welcome back to the Bible Cafe as we continue our study  Pursuing More of Jesus by Anne Graham Lotz.

Today’s Scripture Verse

When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me.

And you also must testify, for you have been with me from the beginning. John 15:26-27

As a family of God, we support, encourage and strengthen each other. Thank you Jesus, for teaching us to love one another. We pray for more of your courage in our convictions as we share the truth of your Word. Amen.

Individual Activity

Complete pages 42-43 in your workbook.

Group Activity

What does it mean for you to testify? What are your thoughts about this verse?

• pam says:

This again was to the first disciples because they were the ones who actually witnessed and saw His miracles and could actually testify of Him. But, can you imagine how they must have felt after following Him, seeing all those miracles and then seeing Him being crucified? No wonder they ran! and No wonder Jesus knew that they would need the presence of the Counsellor in their lives to testify of Him and be the power in them to do amazing things for Him.
    I can live my life without even thinking of Jesus and those are the days my temper flares, my moods win out and I am impatient as all get out. Has His Spirit left? No, I just havent’ acknowledged Him. But, if I do acknowledge Him and ask for His help, then my day goes better and I can be that witness.
    There are also times when I have had to speak publicly for what I believe, and I know that He has spoken through me, on those occasions I fasted and prayed before hand.
    I wish my walk were more consistent. I believe I would not deny Him, but my life is not often the witness I wish it were. More of your Holy Spirit, please!!!

• Theresa says:

I love youir candidness! I wish that my walk was more consistent also. Not in the day to day but in the minute to minute…

There are days were I wonder were my Lord was between my morning prayers and my evening prayers. Then I realize he was with me right there. I just forgot to acknowledge him. OUCH that really hurts. I can’t imagine the pain it causes Jesus too.

Consistancy I like that thought

• Theresa says:

I use to walk around and think that it would be great if just one person would see my light and “want what I have”.

How many of us Christians say that?

“They will see God’s light in me and want what I have (my peace, my serenity, my dancing on cloud nine listening to harp music with angels)…Then I will discuss my faith with them!”

Then I decided that instead of waiting for them to “See the Light”. I would tell them about the Light and then let them witness what it does in my life.

Does this mean that I have the perfect, nothing goes wrong, I am soooo strong in my faith, life. No!!! In fact just this last week I sent out an email to quite a few people begging them to pray for me. To pray for me because I feel as if I’m in a stand-still in my growing. But it is how I respond to this mini crisis and other things that pop up that people notice. That is why for me it is important that I tell people from the beginning that I am Seeking Peace. I am Seeking God and in my journey I would like to bring them along with me.

I use to think if I can just lead one person to God that would be a great testimony in heaven. One isn’t enough…I want more then one person to know Jesus through me. I testify!!!

• Desiree says:

Thanks for sharing Penny. I agree with you. I believe how you live your life demonstrates your belief and your faith in God.

• Penny says:

Woops, I forgot you are on the West Coast and I’m on the East. Glad it wasn’t anything serious with your kids,you or your family. Hope the kids that are sick from their school get well quickly and that it doesn’t spread.
    For me the greates testiomony I give is how I live out my daily life. I’m thinking of the time I was helping my Aunt in the Nursing Home. She was not expected to live (she lived 2 more years), but she said she was afraid to die. I knew she had Jesus living in her so I told her that Jesus is the Prince of Peace and He is the one coming to get her, so when the time comes for her she will have Peace. From then on she lived in Peace. And I’m sure quite a few people in the NH heard what I had told my Aunt.
    And smiling and going through difficult situations and having joy on the other side, that is a great testamony. We are a living testament to unbelievers and believers in everyday life.
    Who is the YOU that have been with Jesus from the begining. Perhaps it is
    those He is talking too at that particular time, but also to us that are reading it today…?!
    Ok, I really must get to bed. Thanks so much Christine for being our leader.
    I enjoy reading your post and seeing what picture or video you have for us each day.

I can relate to this story because the experience with your aunt is the difference between a Believer and UnBeliever. When I was an UnBeliever, you’d never get me to the bedside of a dying person. When my Grandma died, I called her by phone and said “I love you” too terrified of death to be near her. I was also pregnant with my first baby and worried the “death experience” would cause me to miscarry. I was that afraid!!!

Today, I face death constantly and consistently. As a Believer, God places those in front of you who are traveling to Heaven and need the strength of Believers. Their bodies are weak, their hearts are exhausted and they just want to go in peace. You said it so well with your words. I have the courage to stand beside those who are facing death and Jesus in my heart to remind them they are loved. Finally, I have the Holy Spirit watching over me to guide my steps in the right direction. I am thankful that I found Jesus and that I believe.

When I first became a believer, I was afraid to testify and witness to others because I felt inadequate. I worried that someone would ask me a “faith” question and I would not know how to reply. I did not have all the answers so I did not share ANY answers. I walked in silent faith.

After a few Bible study lessons, I started to share my faith with other Christians. It felt safe and I knew that if I did not know the right “answer” they would gently correct me without judgment. They loved me.

So, how did I go from this… to where I am now…writing a Bible Cafe blog with over 10,000 readers each month and Tweeting scripture verses and prayers on Twitter? I found courage. My courage came from hearing and understanding the voice of God. I made the choice to only fear God and that gives me courage. I realized that my words are helping others and inspiring them to grow in faith, so that gives me courage. And finally, I realized that my actions are pleasing to God so that brings me courage.

God isn’t proud of His children for sharing life-changing words of faith, He’s proud of His children for making an effort to spread the Good News. The more I spread the news, the more courage I find!

Beth Moore once shared that she was terrified to speak in public. Anne Graham Lotz said she threw up in the bathroom before each Bible study she was leading. We know these women have amazing courage inspired by their faith. It’s true, with God, all things are possible.

What’s possible for you? How will you testify to others about God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit?