More of His Courage-Seminar Two (Day 2)

hateWelcome back to the Bible Cafe as we continue our study  Pursuing More of Jesus by Anne Graham Lotz.

Today’s Scripture Verse

If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own.

As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. John 15:18-19

Thank you Jesus for choosing us out of the world for your purpose. Give us the courage to speak in faith and belong to your kingdom. Guide our steps as we walk in a world that hates us because we believe in you. Walk by our side and fill us with courageous spirits as we aim to serve, honor and please you. Be near our hearts and give us strength. Amen.

Individual Activity

Complete pages 36-37 in your workbook.

Group Activity

Hate is a very strong word. What was your reaction to reading this scripture verse? Please post a comment.

• Theresa says:

I am going to say something that most may not understand…

I am so happy to be in the “Hated” group.
    If they hated Him they are going to Hate Me!

What and honor and privledge to be put into the group with Jesus. I am ok with the world hating me. Because I am no longer the world’s I am His.

It is so much easier to go about my business and spread the Word when I am not concerned with acceptance and my popularity status. Yes the word Hate is not nice…BUT the word Choosen is wonderful.

• Desiree says:

This is somewhat confusing to me because yesterday’s scripture said that we need to love others. But today’s scripture states that the world hates us because we are not of the world. So how do we love a world that hates and rejects us? How do you show love to something that you are not a part of? I understand that love is more than being nice and having romantic feelings towards someone, but I don’t understand how I am supposed to love a world that hates me and that I was “chosen out of.”

I’m struggling with this verse too! When I look at the hatred in the world, most obvious the 9/11 attacks, and the bible tells me to love others, it confuses me. I’m not going to love someone who takes an innocent life, rapes a child or hurts innocent people. I am aware of prison ministry and my pastor’s encouragement for us to love a sinner, yet I have not reached this level of acceptance. It will take supreme courage for me to love those that hurt children. I do feel hatred for the husband and wife who kidnapped an innocent girl and held her for 18 years. I’ve not yet reached a level of forgiveness that Jesus commands and I accept that I am not a perfect Christian but a willing Christian.

Regarding to the words “chosen out of this world” I find that verse helpful because I’ve questioned if the Shepherd found me or if I found him. I’m not sure why it even matters, I just know I’ve considered this question since we started the study last week. I was a lost sheep and when I heard his voice, I followed. He found me wandering and I turned my tiny little ears his way and started seeking Jesus. In this study, I want to know more of Jesus.

• Desiree says:

Thanks for the reply, Christine.

I am also working on loving others who have hurt me or who hurt innocent people. I believe that I will get better over time, but I will never be as good as Jesus was.

• Penny says:

Bless you Pam for standing up to what you believe. God will honor you and will lead you to just the right fellowship where you can take root and bloom.
    The Amplified Bible uses the term detest as well as the term hate.
    He chose us and we in turn choose Him.
    Thank you Jesus that You first loved me.. I love you back.
    Penny

• Pam says:

Thank you Penny! It’s been a rough time, and although we aren’t about a church body, they do become your “family”. So, we’ll see where the Lord leads….I am learning a lot from this, and growing, but I think that’s what this Christian walk is about! I’m trying to keep picturing God pouring His love in! …I like that visual, and it helps me when I don’t feel very loving….

• Nickie says:

We as Christians are not to be part of the world, so we do stand out. I could name a couple… music, clothes, tv, ect… but I want to stand out and for people or family to see me different, after all we are chosen to bring people to the Lord.. if I am hated for being a Chrstian–I can live with that..but I will still try to love them all….

• Myriam says:

Hello everyone

It wasn’t until today that I realized that I was going by Seminar Two in the book rather than the missing pages that I downloaded from the Lifeway site. I am now doing the correct study. I still love the one in the book as well.

Hate is indeed a strong word and as Jesus experienced in his days – he forewarned us that we were going to be targets as well. I am finding that in our current era, we are being persecuted for our biblical views and for not being more tolerant of other beliefs and moral views. The tables are reversed in the sense that when we speak of biblical truths – we are seen as haters and think we have a corner on the truth.

Hate takes many forms – it is not just against non-believers – as it can come from within the Christian’s circle. One thing is for sure – as we approach the end of times, we have to be prepared and trust that we are hated because we are not of this world and hang on tight to our Lord.

Blessings to all!!!
    Myriam

As a Mom with young daughters, it’s a daily struggle to turn them away from world views towards God views. How do we teach them in a world that worships physical attractiveness and money?

• Pam says:

We often feel the world is topsy turvy, and that Christians are being rejected more and more: i.e. 10 commandments being removed from public buildings, people protesting Christmas parades, or manger scenes, no prayer in schools, etc. Yet, I read this and am reminded that Jesus was the first Christian who dared to stand out in His society and as a result He was persecuted. We will face hatred and persecution from those who disagree with Christ, and that is why it is so important that we love and support each other within the body.
    What I am seeing today, also, is division in the body. This happened in my church recently, when national leadership made quite liberal decisions in regards to clergy leadership relationships. As a result myself and 2 others left our church this last month and find ourselves church “shopping”. We are looking for Bible believing fellowship, and we have remained loving to those who chose to stay, as they have toward us. Yet, for us we felt we could not be under that “umbrella” leadership at large any longer.
    Some say we are judgmental. Some may think we feel superior. What we do feel is comitted to His word, and to what we see the Word as saying in regards to our Christian witness through our life. It is hard. It has been a 20 year struggle. We may feel hated by some who don’t understand, but we took a stand.
    The world says, “go with the flow”, be “accepting” and “don’t make waves”. But Christ calls us to speak the truth that some may be saved…I believe that love is not always mushy, but in the case of Christ caused much stir in people’s hearts, and even caused many to hate Him because of who He was.
    We will experience trials if we choose to walk a comitted walk. We are to remain loving during these trials, however, and I believe that is all He asks.

Our relationship is with Christ, not with a specific church, so I think if one church does not fulfill our spiritual needs, then another church will. I grew up with 12 years of Catholic school, so it’s refreshing for me to have a pool of pastors and Christian authors to nourish me. Besides my own pastor, I find myself listening to Joyce Meyer, James Robison, Joel Osteen and Rick Warren. I’m no longer “church bound” I’m “God bound” and I seek his word from numerous sources such as Women of Faith, Lifeway Women or Christian radio. My heart’s desire is to follow God, not spiritual leaders.

• Pam says:

That’s so true and God has taught me a lot through this as I’ve gone to to other churches to see what is being taught, to attend studies, and have watched various people on tv.(many same as you!:) ) I’m not “church bound”, but feel it is important to have a body of believers that get to know you, support you and you are accountable to. It’s so easy to lose our way without fellow believers, at least it is for me.