More of His Courage-Seminar Two (Day 1)

compassion

Compassion International

Last week we learned to pursue more of his voice and studied verses about to help us identify the authentic voice of God.

We had some great discussions about the sheep, shepherd, gatekeeper and pasture! We even enjoyed some inspirational photos of sheep and the shepherd!

This week we’re going to pursue more of His courage.

In the next five days we’ll Pursue More of Jesus by reading the gospel of John, Chapter 15 verses seventeen through twenty-seven as we pursue more of his courage.

While the Day One lesson is a short verse with few words, it’s meaning is so important that Anne Graham Lotz devoted an entire day of study to this command.

Session Two Schedule

Today’s Scripture Verse

This is my command: Love each other. John 15:17 (NIV)

But remember the root command: Love one another. John 15:17 (The Message)

These things I command you, so that you will love one another. John 15:17 (English Standard Version)

Father, you’ve commanded us to love one another. Open our eyes to this root command, show us more of his courage and teach us your word. Amen.

Individual Activity

Complete pages 33-35 in your workbook.

It helps to understand today’s lesson if you read the beginning of John 15 as Jesus talks about the vine and the branches.

Group Activity

What did you learn from John 15:17? There are few words in this verse, and the longer we think about them, the more we discover. What did you discover?

Post a comment to share your thoughts about John 15:17.

• Theresa says:

I have found as most of us have that it is easy to love our family, friends and even acquaintances like the grocery store clerk. I have also found that I have a harder time with people that are mean, incompetent and irritating. I have to step back and remember that I do not have to like these people.

I don’t believe that Jesus liked all the people that he came across. I DO have to treat them with love and respect. I understand that in this era respect is earned not just freely given. So instead of respect, which seems to be more of a way to look at a superior, I am going to say What about Common Courtesy? I so want to be treat with courtesy…I need to remember that as I deal with people in my life.

When I am not acting in Love- I hear God’s voice in my heart. Reminding me of LOVE….It makes me aware of my actions. It is a gentle feeling of being ashamed that washes over me. Ashamed not Condemned. It reminds me that I am suppose to Love Everyone.

• Sisterlisa says:

To love one another. Something that I have been thinking about lately is that even when Believers disagree about theology, standards, etc. a disagreement should be in love. This is something I feel we all need to learn. I used to slam blast people whose theology didn’t match my own. I was wrong. Although I do feel agreeing to disagree can become dangerous too. There are times we need to continue to attempt to restore one another. The problem I see is that people try so hard to restore one another to a doctrine rather than to Christ.

Nonetheless, we all need to learn how to disagree with love and not division. Jesus came to divide, we were not meant to. At least I don’t think we were. Thoughts?

• Desiree says:

This scripture seems to teach the “golden rule.” Loving others is sometimes difficult and demanding, but we need to learn how to be compassionate and to treat people well. This is a challenge for me sometimes depending on my mood, but I know now that this is what is expected of me as a follower of Christ.

Some people are easy to love, such as the homeless woman digging through trash can to feed her children or the poor children sponsored by Compassion International or Samaritans Purse. Yet others seem undeserving of love, and Jesus loved them anyway. If the title of this lesson is ‘More Courage” then it seems I do not have the courage that Jesus did when he loved those who hurt him and hated him. I’m just not there yet and with forgiveness for those who hurt me, I’ll probably get on board with the command. I’m just not comfortable or ready yet.

• Nickie says:

I do believe it is easy to love our friends but step out and to love the one that hurt you???? that is the true spirit in you… I love my family and my friends even my neighbors but to love the person that you dont want to be around has got to be the hardest… that is when you now Jesus is working in you…
    blessing to all,
    -Nickie

• Pam says:

First, I note that Jesus commands. It’s not a multiple choice question or an option, but a command. “love one another”. Second I read it in context of the chapter preceding it, which I’m not sure why she left out, as I started doing it and got a lot out of it before I realized we weren’t doing it 🙂 Anyway, Jeus is addressing His disciples. He is specifically telling them to remain in Him and follow His commands and that they will bear much fruit. Then He tells them to love one another. It is as though the fellowship of believers needs to be reminded to be loving towards each other. I’m not saying we aren’t to love those outside, we are, but we are to especially love and support fellow Christians, and Christians who are actively bearing fruit. This is a mission oriented chapter, and I think it is easy to compete, compare, criticise our fellow Christians, rather than love and support them. Jesus is reminding them to remain in Him, obey His commands and to love each other, then they will bear fruit for Him. Strong words. This is a deeply commited obedient love that stems from our relationship with Jesus and flows out to others. Very hard to do……I love Myriam and Charmaines Bible quotes “poured into our hearts” – that is a neat visual picture to remember when we don’t feel loving, just imagine Christ pouring HIs love into us! I agree with Christine about needing to pray to love as Jesus commands! and the pictures you have are always so great!

• Charmaine says:

You have no idea how many people I encountered last week talking about the love of God and how we are to love others. It is easier said than done sometimes as like Myriam said the word is overused by many of us. I am trying to make an effort not to make this word trivial. Something I realized one time was that we need to learn to love with God’s love and not our vecause in our humanness we sometimes love conditionally and not unconditioanlly as God loved us “while we were yet sinners”. That is so humbling to me. Romans 5:5 says “The love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit so if we have salvation we “have” God’s love in us as Christ is in us. God is love as we’ve heard many times. We just have to develop his love in us.

• Myriam says:

Hello everyone
    Glad to be able to post something today. I did all of last week’s study and absolutely love that style because it’s just the Word of God speaking directly to us with no middle person. Although a middle person can certainly help us to understand the Word of God also but that kind of study allows God to speak to us on a more personal and intimate fashion.

I will try to be more active and try to post this week. Christine & all- thanks for the prayers. I am truly grateful.

Now on the question of the day about loving one another. I always find it is easier to say it than to actually carry it out. It is no wonder that it is listed as the first of the nine-dimensional fruit perfectly described in Gal 5:22. He commands us to love one another and thankful that He provides us the Holy Spirit who pours His love into our hearts enabling us to let it flow from us to others.

Blessings to you all!

Myriam

Welcome Myriam! I’m enjoying the study because it requires as little or as much time as I am willing to devote to it. I can read the verse, answer and say “done” or I can read it over and over, research some words, pray over it and find the verse nestled into my soul. Somedays I go deep with the verse, other days I let the verse stay on the surface. Love it!

I selected the Compassion International photo because the command to “Love One Another” reminds me to love those people who are suffering and in need. Jesus tells me to love others, even when they are not members of my family. I’m commanded to love those who are in struggle. It takes courage to love others and I thought about the courage necessary for missionaries and those serving Jesus in other countries. I pray for more of his courage to love one another as Jesus commands.