Last week on Facebook, Christian author Kay Arthur asked “What are the top 3 reasons why a Christian does not study the Bible?‘ Within minutes, over 70 Christians replied to her question. I decided to summarize the response list, with the most popular replies, to help me become a better Bible Study leader. These are some of the reasons women do not want to study the Bible:
Don’t understand how to study God’s word
- Don’t have structure and know how to study the Bible
- Doesn’t see the value of a Bible study
- Doesn’t realize the benefits of Bible Study
- Not knowing how to study God’s word and giving up
- Not understanding what they are reading in the Bible
Lack of Intimacy with God
- Intimidated by God and can’t understand how to relate
- They’re afraid of God
- They’ve never had a real experience in the presence of God
- Don’t want to be convicted of sin or think about their behavior
- No quiet place or time to be alone with a Bible
Too busy to study God’s word
- Parents of Small Children
- Taking college classes
- Long work hours
- Lack of commitment
- Caretaker for special needs child or disabled adult
More concerned with world or blinded by Satan
- Social Networking Groups
- Spiritual warfare
- Physical injury or limitations
- Cost or expense of the study
Lack of Discipline
- Waits until end of day then too tired to study
We all have excuses for not participating in a Bible study. We are blinded by the enemy as he strangles us with busyness, distractions, inadequacy and self absorption in his effort to distance us from the word of God.
Not participating in Bible study allows Satan to stay focused in the center of our lives.
Participating in Bible study puts God in the center of our lives.
Choose God and join us in this online Bible study. Allow us to support you as you battle the enemy of distraction…we’ve been there too and once we overcome the enemy we experience the benefits of intimacy with God through Bible study.
To read the answers to Kay Arthur’s question on Facebook, please click here.
If you’ve never participated in a Bible Study or you’ve tried and quit the study, then we invite you to join us in the online Bible Study we designed for women. We’re starting a new Bible study on Sept. 14, 2009 and you still have time to get a workbook and study with us. If you have questions about the Bible study, send us an email.