Welcome to online Bible Study from the Womens Bible Cafe™ as we facilitate “The Women of Christmas” by Liz Curtis Higgs. It’s not too late to get a book and join us for the next five weeks of study. We’re reading two chapters a week and there’s NO daily homework assignments like our other studies. We selected a lighter format knowing you’ll be busy during the holiday seasons. Download the ebook version from Amazon and read with the FREE Kindle reading app on your tablet, smartphone, or computer OR get a print copy and mark up the pages with your highlighter pens!
Welcome to the introduction week of our study as we get to know each other and learn how online studies work. My name is Sonya Morris Nelson and I’m Co-Director of this wonderful ministry. I love the Christmas season; I truly believe it is “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year!” The music is cheerful, the decorations are so beautiful, everyone is excited and I love to spend time with family and friends. And of course, the snow!! But most of all, I love to revisit and remember the true reason we celebrate this season, the birth of our Savior, baby Jesus. And what a remarkable and miraculous story it is.
During the next five weeks, we will get to know three remarkable women, who played a huge role in the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ: Elizabeth, Mary and Anna. Three different women, with three different purposes, but full of the same faith in God. Whether you have heard of them, know them, or don’t… this study will pull all the pieces together and reveal God’s purpose in choosing them for each of their parts in this miraculous birth. Through our study of their purpose, we will explore our own purpose and God’s love for us! What a wonderful way to begin the Christmas season, learning more about the birth of Jesus! Exciting, isn’t it?
Each week you will read two chapters from the book. Expect to spend about 15 minutes reading each chapter, or 30 minutes total for the week. As we prepare for the Christmas season, you may want to spend time on Sunday reading about these women of Christmas.
This week, join an interactive small group via our private Facebook group. We meeting morning and evening, seven days a week. Select a day and time from the schedule “pinned” to the top of the group page. I’ve posted the schedule below so you can see when we meet. WBC groups are NEVER closed so you are welcome anytime, in any group. Each group lasts about one hour and some groups are larger than others, so find one that you will feel most comfortable attending. Look for one of the group leaders to post a photo for the group and arrive at the listed to join in when you post your comments below the leader photo.
|Day of Week||Eastern||Pacific||Leader||Co-Leader|
|Monday||8:00 AM||5:00 AM||Stasia Nielsen||Debbie Tovar|
|Monday||12:00 PM||9:00 AM||Christine Abraham, Sherilynn Matsumoto||Barbra Jackson, Caroline Hawthorne|
|Monday||9:00 PM||6:00 PM||Rhonda Collins||Vickie Bowen, Gina Windle|
|Tuesday||9:00PM||6:00PM||Lakecia Harris||Dora Lewis, Sonya Nelson|
|Wednesday||9:00 AM||6:00 AM||Heather King||Alice Theobald, Debbie Tovar|
|Wednesday||9:00 PM||6:00 PM||Lauren Martinez||Fides Faith Santos|
|Wednesday||12 Midnight||9:00 PM||Karen Douglass||Cindy Webster, Sherri Meckel|
|Thursday||12:00 PM||9:00 AM||Christine Abraham||Stasia Nielsen|
|Thursday||9:00 PM||6:00 PM||Stasia Nielsen||Renee Foley|
|Friday||7:30 AM||4:30 AM||Mary Beth Floyd||Christine Johnson, Jeanne Ridderman|
|Friday||3:00 PM||12:00 PM||Sajna Kuruvilla||Sherilynn Matsumoto, Renee Foley|
|Saturday||11:00AM||8:00AM||Christine Abraham||Tricia McWilliams, Debbie Tovar|
|Sunday||8:00 AM||5:00 AM||Melissa Gray||Rosette DeGuzman, Karen Buckwalter|
|Sunday||9:00 PM||6:00 PM||Sonya Nelson||Carla Brooks|
Take a deep breath, relax, keep it simple. Don’t let the hustle and bustle of the countdowns and the sales get you rattled. Take it one day at a time.
We are so excited that you have decided to join us and we look forward to our time together to
Study. Connect. Grow!
ASSIGNMENT FOR THE WEEK:
- Read Chapter One and Chapter Two in “The Women of Christmas” by Liz Curtis Higgs.
- Come and meet the women in this study when you join a small group meeting at: http://www.facebook.com/groups/WBCSmallGroups/
- Register for the study if you have not already at: http://www.womensbiblecafe.com/2016/10/women-of-christmas-register/
- If this is your first study with us, read the Frequently Asked Questions
- Prepare for the Christmas season and this study with prayer, and for fun listening to some of your favorite Christmas Hymns and carols.
Tweet or Facebook Share with Hashtag #WomenOfChristmas
- “If only one message from this book finds a home in your heart, let it be that God’s love for you is wider, longer, higher, and deeper than you can ever imagine ” – Liz Curtis Higgs
- “And his wife, Elizabeth, praying with her sisters of faith, would soon discover that, whatever her age, she was still precious in God’s sight. – Liz Curtis Higgs
- “What we call miraculous, God calls business as usual.” – Liz Curtis Higgs
- “This we know: the miracle was accomplished, and the child was growing, all because an ordinary woman clasped hands with an extraordinary God.” – Liz Curtis Higgs
- “This is how God works, a blessing for one is a blessing for all, and the end result is a greater focus on Him” – Liz Curtis Higgs
- “Women are precious to Him, beloved. You are precious to Him.” – Liz Curtis Higgs
- “…thinking about who Jesus is and why He came to earth as a babe wrapped in swaddling clothes. He came for those he loves. He came for you.” – Liz Curtis Higgs
- “Just as God always knew how the life of His Son would unfold on earth, God knows how our lives will unfold as well. Nothing is a surprise to Him.” – Liz Curtis Higgs
- “Long before silver bells jingled, Christmas lights twinkled, and horse-drawn sleighs went dashing through the snow, God reached down from heaven with the best gift of all. Love, wrapped in swaddling clothes. Hope, nestled in a manger.” ― Liz Curtis Higgs
- “In the end the women of Christmas quietly stepped aside, making room for the One who truly matters.”
― Liz Curtis Higgs
- “First the Lord used Elizabeth, who was ‘too old,’ then he used Mary, who would be ‘too young’ by today’s standards. At any age, we can serve the Lord.”― Liz Curtis Higgs
- “The truth is, God’s strength is fully revealed when our strength is depleted.”― Liz Curtis Higgs
SMALL GROUP DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
Your WBC small group leaders may use some or all of these discussion questions this week.
- As we approach the Christmas season, we have the opportunity to focus on Jesus rather than on the shopping and chores. What is one thing you can do personally to make sure that you “Put Christ back in Christmas?”
- What is your favorite Christmas Hymn or carol? What do you love about this hymn or carol?
- What will be your biggest challenge during this study? How can/will you overcome this challenge?
- Share a Christmas tradition that you have in your family.
- Finish this sentence, “It wouldn’t be Christmas without “
- When does your Christmas Tree and Decorations go up? Who trims the tree and puts the decorations up?
- Why is remembering and celebrating Christmas important to you?
- Have you ever had to wait in anticipation for something? A date? Some news? A decision? An answer to a prayer? How did you keep calm during the waiting time? How did you react once your wait was over?
- What is your favorite Christmas chore: baking/cooking, decorating, or wrapping presents?
- If you could ask Mary, Elizabeth or Anna one question, who would you ask and what would your question be?
“This holy season is about making room for Jesus.
Welcoming him into our homes, our families, our lives.
Flinging open the door to our hearts.” – Liz Curtis Higgs