Welcome back to week three of our Summer Online Bible study on the book of Hosea! What a powerful week of learning about love, God’s unfailing love that forgives and restores us!
I must admit, as I began this week’s lesson, I could not believe that God had instructed Hosea to go and get Gomer and bring her back home. Whew, I really struggled with how I would score on this test had I been asked to do the same or something similar. I mean, I am not sure if I would have been as obedient as Hosea was, or at least at first. But what we see in this passage is that God is always willing and ready to forgive us and restore us to where we need to be, despite what we have done or deserve just as He did with Israel and Gomer. Never once did Hosea treat Gomer less than his wife, just as God does for us.
Reading in 1 Peter:18-19 about my value being the cost of Jesus’ life really, really took my breath away. I mean I know that Jesus died on the cross for my sins, but I never thought of it in this way, that my value was His life. Can you even wrap your mind around this? I need a minute or two to truly grasp this. But it is the truth, God’s truth about how important our value is in Him. The amazing thing about God redeeming us, is that He also restores us in the process. They come hand in hand, they go together like apple pie and ice cream. You just can’t have one without the other. We become new in Christ, our identity in Him comes to the fore front and we begin to live as God intended. Why does God redeem and restore us? Because of Love! Why does God give us second, third and more chances? Because of Love! Because of His unfailing Love that heals and covers all! Isn’t that amazing?
My big take away this week was thinking about the restoration process. In our lesson we learn that this process includes cleansing, polishing and repairing. I began to think about what each step meant for me and my relationship with God… When God cleanses me, he is freeing me from my sin or my state of bondage, when He is polishes me, He is refining me to a better form of myself, and when He is repairs me, He gives me a new life, a new makeover by mending and healing my brokenness. These steps are necessary to truly complete the process of restoration in Him, the one true God, the one who has chosen us to love and cherish. Will you let Him in to restore you to your beauty just as tarnished silver is polished to its natural beauty? Come on, He stands at the door knocking, won’t you let Him in?
Remember, it is God’s unfailing love that provides all that we need. God’s love covers all! It covers sin, unforgiveness, pride, anger, addiction, past mistakes, unfaithfulness, anything you need! So reach up and grab it, embrace it and accept your place as a cherished daughter of the Most High King!
ASSIGNMENT FOR THIS WEEK
- Attend a small group this week Select a small group day and time that fits your schedule, all groups are open http://www.facebook.com/groups/WBCSmallGroups/
- Share some of your favorite book quotes with your social media friends and hashtag #BibleCafe so we can find them too!
- Choose a time and place where you will complete each lesson, set a reminder for your self
- Read Week/Session FOUR in your book. You’ll read one lesson per day, each lesson is about 30 minutes.
- Optional Activity: Print out this complimentary “Press On” card, print another one to share with a friend.
- We want to know the truth so the truth can set us free! Print this “Press On” Scripture card for you and each member of your Bible Study group. Put it in your Bible, tape it to your mirror, stick it on your refrigerator, or keep it in your car — wherever it will be most obvious so you can be constantly reminded to “yada” God — press on to know Him. We Gomer Girls want to really know God, not just know about Him. Use this card to help you memorize and meditate upon Hosea 6:3 so you will keep pressing in and pressing on to know the God who loves you.
Courtesy of www.jenniferrothschild.com/hosea
- Optional Fun Activity: For the next week, write in your journal about how you feel during the process of restoration that God is taking you thru.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR THE WEEK
You will have the opportunity to share your answers to these questions during your small group time. You may also post them here. Consider also recording your answers in your spiritual journal.
QUESTION 1: This week we read about God instructing Hosea to go and get Gomer and bring her home despite feeling betrayed by her unfaithfulness. Think of a time when God called you to restore a relationship/situation that may have caused you pain. How did you feel when God first told you to do this? How did you feel after you were obedient? or How did you feel after you disobeyed?
QUESTION 2: Read this verse: 1 Peter 1:18-19: “For you know that you were redeemed from your empty way of life inherited from the fathers, not with perishable things like silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without defect or blemish.” (HCSB) Share your feelings about what this verse says about your worth/value. Is it difficult for you to wrap your head around the truth of your worth/value? What do you want to say to God after reading this?
QUESTION 3: We have a choice, we can either “depend on grace” or “depend on self” in our life. Which one are you depending on right now? How is that working out for you and do you need to change what you are depending on?
QUESTION 4: On the grace scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is “the worst pond scum ever and beyond the reach of God’s grace” and 10 is “practically perfect and not in need of His grace”
QUESTION 5: The restoration process includes cleansing (freeing from sin/bondage), polishing (refining you to a better state), and repairing (giving new life by mending what is broken). At this moment, how do you relate to the God’s restoring us using this process? Is there one step that you need more than the other?
My Sisters, remember, Love, Love, Love, all we need is God’s Love!