It’s our last week of online Bible study and we’ve finished reading “Laughing in the Dark: a Bible Study on the Book of Job” by Chonda Pierce and Dale McCleskey. I met with my Monday small group ladies today and we literally laughed the entire hour online! Wow…that was fun!
Womens Bible Cafe Bible study has three goals: We STUDY the Word of God and look at the historical context of Scripture. We CONNECT with non-denominational women and discuss our understanding of the Bible. We GROW as we apply the concepts to our modern lives.
Looking back at our six weeks together, we met those three goals. Congratulations to both our volunteer leaders and our active students, as we learn from one another each week. The small groups have been AMAZING and exceeded expectations!
My hope is that you will not end your study of the Book of Job, but during the weeks ahead as we wait to begin the Hosea study, you will keep reading through your Bible. This is fascinating theology and worth the time invested!
Through both Job and Chonda’s stories, we discover that suffering tests our faith and love. We either draw near or pull apart. When we draw near we are rewarded with relationship. We know Jesus. It’s easy to confuse suffering with punishment, we see many religions teaching that. But through our examination of Job we now have a better understanding of suffering and sovereignty.
Don’t take offense when a friend says “you suffer because you sinned.” Smile and realize that she has a different understanding just like Job’s friends. Make the decision to seek God in your suffering, all the time.
Now that we’ve finished this study I hope you’ll join us as we study Hosea. Most of the small groups have the same day, time slots, and leaders. We’ve added a late group on Wednesday 9:00 PM Pacific for West Coast women and international women (next day-Thursday- in international time zones). Sonya Nelson is organizing the Hosea small group schedule and it will be posted by July 1st in our private Facebook group.
Coffee with friends and family brings laughter into my heart..so I’m sharing that photo today with you 🙂
ASSIGNMENT FOR THIS WEEK
- Select a small group day and time that fits your schedule http://www.facebook.com/groups/WBCSmallGroups/
- Deeper study: Read through the entire Book of Job, a chapter each day or a few chapters on the weekend.
- Share some of your favorite book quotes with your social media friends and hashtag #BibleCafe so we can find them too!
- Register for Hosea Summer Study https://www.womensbiblecafe.com/2016/06/hosea-register/
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR THE WEEK
(You will have the opportunity to share your answers to these questions during your small group time. You may also post them here. Consider also recording your answers in your spiritual journal)
- We know that Jesus will one day make all things new, but how does He make things new for you now? (page 91)
- How has suffering in your life made it possible to see God in a clearer way? (page 95)
- What does grace mean to you in regards to the losses you have suffered? (page 96)
- What stood out to you the most in this study of the Book of Job?
- Let’s have some fun on our final day. SHARE a photo of something that brings you joy. What makes you laugh or at least smile when things seems hard.
Praying for you,