Welcome to our online Inductive Bible Study at the Women’s Bible Cafe™. Today we will begin our study of Ephesians, “Free from Bondage God’s Way” by Kay Arthur. We are so excited you are joining us for this seven-week in-depth Inductive Bible Study to learn how to walk in total freedom.
How are you doing at fighting the spiritual battle? Our enemy, the devil, is real. He is alive on Planet Earth today. He is out to tempt us. He is out to control us, and he wants to destroy us. Scripture tells us to “Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour” (1 Peter 5:8). None of us are immune from the devil’s ploys and tactics to trap and ensnare us in a pit of bondage. And if we are not prepared, we will become entangled in his web of lies and deceit.
That is what this Inductive Bible study is all about. We are going to dig deep into Scripture and discover truth for ourselves to help us go into the battle field armed and prepared. We are going to learn how to STAND FIRM and put on the whole armor of God, because it’s only God’s truths that can truly set you free and break the chains that bind.
Before beginning this study, please take time to read the “How to Get Started…” on pages 5 through 11 of your study book. This is valuable information on how to use this study guide to help you understand the Inductive Bible study approach that we will be using each week. Then begin reading Ephesians Week One which begins on page 47. This is Part 2 of the series, “Free from Bondage God’s Way.” Even if you did not complete the first part of the study in Galatians, you can still study Ephesians with us. Our Ephesians study is divided into seven daily lessons, and the seventh day is a day of reflection and review of what you studied during the week.
“Ephesians: Free from Bondage God’s Way” in Seven Lesson Plans
- Introduction Week (Begin Reading Week One)
- Week One – Why are you in Bondage to Other’s Opinions of You?
- Week Two – Secure and Seated with Jesus!
- Week Three – Grace that Covers and Provides
- Week Four – Loved Unconditionally
- Week Five – Forgiven–and Able to Forgive!
- Week Six – How can I Walk in Love?
- Week Seven – Stand Firm!
Each day’s study time will take approximately 15 to 30 minutes, sometimes less or sometimes more, depending on that day’s study. I urge you to set aside a quiet time of study with God free of distractions. I have found that if I make my appointment with God at the same time each day, I am better able to keep that time on a consistent basis. It also helps to have all your study materials in your special quiet time place, which will help you stay motivated: Your Bible, Bible study book, a notebook or journal, colored pens and pencils, highlighters, etc. It is not necessary to purchase an Inductive Study Bible for the purpose of this study. The Observation Worksheets that you will need to do your study on the book of Ephesians will be provided for you in the Inductive Studies chat room (see “Helpful Links and Resources”) by clicking “Files” at the top of the chat room beneath the cover photo of the open Bible. Click on the link that will take you to Bible Gateway where you can printout the entire book of Ephesians. Then you can decide after completing this study if you would like to invest in an Inductive Study Bible for future Inductive Bible studies.
I also encourage you to participate in a small group to discuss the lessons you are learning each week and to encourage one another. Sharing is voluntary, and we do not expect you to share anything that will cause harm to yourself or another person. We meet in a private Facebook group, or if you prefer, you may answer the discussion questions here on this website by posting a comment below. This first week our small groups will meet for a time of introduction and fellowship where you’ll meet your leaders and the other ladies in your group. Our entire ministry team will be praying for you.
Please note that the first week of study, the small groups are quite populated! Many women will visit the groups to “see what it’s about” and might visit more than one group during the week. The timeline will move VERY FAST during the first week and might challenge you or frustrate you. This only happens the first week….then the small groups adjust in size and the conversation is easier to follow. During the first small group meetings, you might need to refresh your computer screen F5 to keep up. You can always go back later and re-read through the timeline in your small group and jot down the prayer requests. Mobile devices are not recommended, so please use a computer to access the small groups if possible.
One week from today we will begin discussing WEEK ONE of the lessons you studied this first week.
BIBLE STUDY TIP: Read through the entire book of Ephesians in one sitting before you begin your daily assignments. Record your first impressions and thoughts in your notebook or journal. What type of literature is this book?
Assignment For the Week
- Make sure you registered for this online Bible study so that you receive email updates each week on Monday.
- Write a letter to God in your notebook or journal. Date your letter and tell God where you are in your season of life right now, and where you hope He leads you during this study. We will not ask you to share your letter. This is personal between you and God.
- Pray before you begin reading. Ask your resident teacher, the Holy Spirit, to open your heart and mind to wisdom and understanding to learn His truths.
- Select a small group day and time that fits your schedule. The small group schedule will also be pinned to the top of the Inductive Studies chat room. Arrive to the private Facebook group for the one hour meeting that you chose to attend. A small group photo will be posted by the leader one hour prior to your meeting time.http://www.facebook.com/groups/WBCInductiveStudies/
- Begin reading Week One: Why are you in Bondage to Others’ Opinions of You? in your study guide and complete the daily lessons in your notebook or journal.
Discussion Questions – Answer in your small group or post a comment below
- What motivated you or drew you to this online Bible study and what do you hope to receive from it?
- Why do you suppose our enemy (the devil) wants to keep us in a pit of bondage?
- Share your favorite Scripture that gives you comfort and peace during difficult times.
- What will be your biggest challenge during this 7-week study?
- How can our leaders and the other women in this small group support you on your spiritual journey? Do you need encouragement, accountability, Bible study tips, or something else?