Welcome back to our online Inductive Bible Study on the book of Galatians, “Free from Bondage God’s Way” by Kay Arthur. We just completed Week Four, “You’re an Heir of Grace…Live Like It!” This is about the time we see a decline in attendance in our small groups. We do not want you to miss out on these small group discussions. We learn so much from one another what God is teaching us in His Holy Word, so please continue with your study and join in on the small group discussions even if you are behind in the study. Remember, the enemy will whisper to you that it’s too hard to catch up so just drop out and quit. But we know for a fact that when we open our Bibles and pray, the enemy flees! So persevere student of God’s Word, and you will be blessed!
This week we observed Chapter Four of Galatians and learned what it means to be an “heir through God.”
“Therefore, you are no longer a slave, but a son; and if a son, then an heir through God.” Galatians 4:7 NASB
The New Living Translation states, “….and since you are His child, God has made you His heir.”
And so we can claim what He has provided for us…our full identify as His children, because we are fellow heirs with Jesus Christ (Romans 8:15-17). Therefore we have all rights and privileges of being God’s child, because we have been adopted into His family.
Adoption. This brings back a memory when I was a little girl, I asked my mother, “am I adopted?” I’m really not sure why I asked this question, but I remember my mother telling me, “no, you were not adopted, I gave birth to you,” and oh how relieved I felt when she gave me this reassurance. However, as an adult, my outlook on adoption has changed. I know so many women who cannot have children of their own and want a child so badly, so they apply for adoption. They even get to choose the child they want, i.e., race, eye color, hair color, age, etc. I was truly amazed at the process of adoption.
Dictionary.com defines the word “adopt” as to “choose or take as one’s own.”
“But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, so that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.” Galatians 4:5
Isn’t that incredible? He redeemed us, and He freed us from the law! And He adopted us! He chose us! We have been chosen by God. He has taken us as His own, and he has given us an inheritance. He chose us, he chose us, he chose us! Oh how reassuring this truth is to me, just as my mother reassured me that I belonged to her by birth. I am adopted into God’s family by His choice! He chose me, and He chose You! Won’t you take a moment and thank Him today for redeeming you and choosing you to be His adopted heir.
ASSIGNMENT FOR THE WEEK:
- Join a small group and fellowship with your fellow Bible students. https://www.facebook.com/groups/WBCInductiveStudies/
- Complete your study of Week Five, “How do you Walk by the Spirit?”
- Pray before you begin your study. Ask your resident Teacher, the Holy Spirit, to open your heart to wisdom and understanding to learn His truths.
- Do an online word study on “heir” (Galatians, 4:1, 7, 30) at www.blueletterbible.org. Record your findings on the Word Study Form located in “Files” in the Inductive Studies chat room.
- Store in your heart Galatians 4:31 (Week Four, Day Seven).
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR THIS WEEK (answer in small groups or post a comment here)
- What does it mean to be an “heir through God?” (Galatians 4:7)
- If you belong to Jesus Christ, are you a slave or an heir? How are you living in your relationship to your God?
- How is the gospel of grace superior to the law? How would you explain this to a new Christian?
- What full rights do we have as God’s children? Why would someone give up such rights?