To be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. Ephesians 4:23-24
Eight words in the margin motivated me this week. I grabbed some rubbish bags and went from room to room determined to lighten the load of my home and hopefully my heart in the process. The scribbled words ‘Clean house – What will you get rid of?’ were etched in my mind as I filled bag upon bag with pre-loved clothing and toys.
As I put unwanted items into dark bags, I searched the even darker corners of my heart where bitterness, anger and feelings of resentment tend to hide. Each new season of life heralds opportunities to clean and organize every aspect of our lives. Those times where we allow the Holy Spirit to shine the light of truth in our lives can be frightening at first but we are better for it in the long run. I often buy a beautiful bouquet of flowers for my table after I am finished with the mammoth task of organizing my heart and home. Arranging the centerpiece is a victorious moment, a fragrant reward. This week’s quotable puts it all into perspective.
Your heart is the centerpiece of your soul. Priscilla Shirer
As we continue with our daily lessons, please keep in mind that there will be NO SMALL GROUPS on Thursday, November 26th, due to Thanksgiving. If you are in a group on Thursday, please jump into another group for the week.
Assignment For the Week
- Review and update your Prayer Strategy Card. Is your strategy effective? Put your card in a prominent place where you will be sure to see it on a daily basis.
- Make sure you attend a small group and if your group meets on Thursday, jump into another one as there will be NO Small Groups meeting on Thursday this week due to Thanksgiving celebrations.
- Read Week Four: The Shoes of Peace in your member book.
- If you are watching the videos, watch Session Four, available through Lifeway (not required for participation in the study)
Discussion Questions- Answer in your small group or post a comment below
- What does having an unwavering and unapologetic allegiance to the truth mean to you?
- How does the “belt of truth” serve as a “hanger” for the other pieces of your armor? See pages 52-55 in your member book.
- How is aligning yourself with the truth different than legalism? Review your answers from page 56.
- How is your prayer strategy going? Where are your posting those prayers? Is it effective?
- How does your breastplate specifically protect you?
May the Lord richly bless your Thanksgiving Celebrations with Love, Joy and Peace.