Everything that occurs in the visible, physical world is directly connected to the wrestling match being waged in the invisible, spiritual world. Priscilla Shirer.
Battle weary and war-torn women from all over the world are gathering together to learn how to better equip themselves for the onslaught that has been waged against them. As we began our Introductory Week of the Armor of God by Priscilla Shirer, we came to the realization that we can no longer stand aside idly and allow the enemy to destroy all we hold dear. We will learn not only to be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might, we will learn how to use the armor that the Apostle Paul spoke of in Ephesians 6.
The first step towards victory is recognizing who the enemy really is as well as what he can and cannot do. We are in a wrestling match and the enemy is not who we think he is. Although he is strategic and has plans against us, God has given us everything we need to be victorious. We have power through faith in Christ Jesus and in His Holy Word.
As you begin to really dig deep in this study, remember to work on formulating Prayer Strategies as mentioned on page 192 in your Member Book. Write the acronym PRAY along the left hand side of one of the Prayer Strategy cards in the back of your Member Book then craft a prayer based on one of the things the Lord has showed you this week during your study time. (Here is a brief recap of PRAY)
P – Praise- Our gratitude for who God is and all He has done for us should be the woven throughout all of our prayer time.
R – Repentance- Prayer exposes areas of our lives where we are resistant to God. Be prepared to allow the Lord to show you areas in your life that you need to deal with.
A – Asking- Make your requests known to God. Write down those prayers. Be personal and specific. Keep a record of what God is doing in your prayer life and be encouraged.
Y– Yes- For all of God’s promises have been fulfilled in Christ with a resounding “Yes!” And through Christ, our “Amen” (which means “Yes”) ascends to God for his glory. 2 Corinthians 1:20 Use scripture to help you articulate those prayers. Look for those promises that correspond to your needs and write them into your Prayer Strategies.
Once you have a few Prayer Strategies, consider placing them in a prominent place where you will be reminded to pray them daily. (I have a few taped to my bathroom mirror for this study.)
Assignment For the Week
- Pray before you begin reading. Ask the Holy Spirit to open your heart to wisdom.
- Select a small group day and time that fits your schedule. Arrive to the private Facebook group for the one hour meeting.
- Begin reading Week Two: The Belt of Truth in your member book.
- If you are watching the videos, watch Session Two, available through Lifeway (not required for participation in the study)
- Read Ephesians 6:10-19 through before you begin your lessons this week.
Discussion Questions- Answer in your small group or post a comment below
- What truth jumped out at you as you reflected on this week’s study?
- How is this teaching similar or different than what you have heard about the enemy in the past?
- We began our first day by identifying the most overwhelming circumstances in our lives at the moment. Referring to the scripture in Ephesians 6 that states our struggle is not against flesh and blood, how well have you been able to redirect your frustrations and struggles from those around you to seeing the enemy trying to derail you?
- Have you felt pinned down by the enemy in your life recently and if so, how?
- On a scale of 1-5 (1 being unable to resist and 5 being strong in His mighty power) how well have you been able to resist the work of the enemy in your life?