Welcome back to our online Inductive Bible Study on the book of Acts, “The Holy Spirit Unleashed in You” at the Women’s Bible Cafe™. We just completed Week Six, “Baptized with the Spirit? Who…When…How?” This week we observed Acts Chapters 10, 11, and 12, and oh what truths we gleaned from our study this week! God sure did drop the bomb shell, didn’t He? Were the Jews prepared for what was to come? The Gospel is not just for the Jews, but the Gentiles as well?
How difficult this must have been for Peter, because his attitudes and beliefs were passed down to him over many generations. However, God showed him in a vision that it was wrong to call any man unholy or unclean (Acts 10:28). What God asked Peter to do went against everything Peter’s family and culture believed, because Jews just didn’t associate with Gentiles, ever! God, however, does not show partiality or prejudices.
“Opening his mouth, Peter said: “I most certainly understand now that God is not one to show partiality, but in every nation the man who fears Him and does what is right is welcome to Him.” Acts 10:34-35 NASB
God has made salvation possible through His Son, Jesus Christ, for everyone in the world, Jews and Gentiles, no matter what color or nationality. This reminds me of an old childhood song I used to sing and even sang to my own children when they were small:
“Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world, red, brown, yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.”
So what about you? Have you inherited attitudes, habits and beliefs that were passed down to you that need to change? Perhaps you have carried these around with you for years simply because that is what your parents did, and their parents, and their parents before them, etc. etc. It’s time to break the cycle. We all need to stop and take a good look at our own hearts to see what prejudices that may be deeply rooted there. This is a good time to weed our gardens. God’s Word will show us new ways to think and feel, and the Holy Spirit within us will guide us, but we have to unleash the Holy Spirit and let Him take reign in our lives.
Kay Arthur writes in the Thought for the Week:
“If you are a child of God, you have the Spirit of God; now don’t quench the Spirit. Be filled continuously, and watch what happens, Beloved, as you walk by the Spirit.”
ASSIGNMENT FOR THE WEEK:
- Join a small group and fellowship with your fellow Bible students.
- Complete your study of Week Seven, “Don’t Know What to Do? Try Prayer and Fasting.
- Pray before you begin your study. Ask your resident Teacher, the Holy Spirit, to open your heart to wisdom and understanding to learn His truths.
- Store in your heart Acts 10:15, “Again a voice came to him a second time, “What God has cleansed, no longer consider unholy.”
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR THIS WEEK (answer in small groups or post a comment here)
- Are there any people on the face of this earth so unclean that they are not welcome in the body of Jesus Christ–the Church?
- How can we help our church avoid showing favoritism in its efforts to witness for Christ and bring new members into His church?
- We are all works in progress. How has Jesus changed your perspective since you met Him? What is God changing in you now?
- The Gospel makes salvation in Jesus available to anyone who believes in Him. Is there anyone in your life who you believe to be too far from God? How can you reach out to that person this week.