Welcome back to womens online Bible study as we continue our lessons from Believing God by Beth Moore. If you finished your assignments in week seven then you now realize why so many women say this is a life-changing study! I first completed my memory retrieval 10 years ago and was blessed to re-read my journal notes this week, adding more life events to my story. We will NOT ask you to share your personal memories in small groups this week.
My prayer is that you do not skip this week and when it seems uncomfortable that you’ll lean closer to Jesus. Seek support from a licensed Christian counselor or your local church. Walk through the memories with Jesus beside you.
- Some of you are retrieving memories of abandonment and adoption from biological parents.
- Some of you are retrieving memories of sexual, emotional, and physical abuse.
- Some of you are retrieving memories of children you lost to miscarriage, infant death, cancer, childhood illness.
- Some of you are retrieving memories of divorce, infidelity, loss of a spouse or marriage.
- Some of you are retrieving memories of abortion, promiscuity, affairs, pornography and past sins.
While some memories are painful, others are reminders of seeds planted in our spiritual journey.
- Some of you are retrieving memories of grandmothers and mothers who brought you to church each Sunday.
- Some of you are retrieving memories of Sunday school teachers and church camps.
- Some of you are retrieving memories of a convicting word spoken by a friend.
- Some of you are retrieving memories of a personal confession of faith and salvation story.
- Some of you are retrieving memories of spiritual mentors.
Everyone has a story to retrieve. Everyone has the opportunity to retrieve it with the Holy Spirit as Counselor, Teacher and Reminder. Is this your time…or will you keep those memories tucked away in the dark. This is your story.
Assignment For the Week
- Calendar your study time and small group time. Use a reminder alarm on your cell phone.
- Pray before you begin reading. Ask the Holy Spirit to open your heart to wisdom.
- Select a small group day and time that fits your schedule. Arrive to the private Facebook group for the one hour meeting.
- Read Week Eight: Believing God Can Get You to Your Gilgal in your workbook
- If you are listening to the audio cd’s or watching the videos, watch Session Eight, available through Lifeway (not required for participation in the study)
Discussion Questions- Answer in your small group or post a comment below
- John 14:26 says: But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Which of His three roles is most important in your current season of life- Counselor, Teacher, Reminder? Why?
- God sent the Holy Spirit to teach us all things and remind us of everything Jesus has said. Do you find this comforting or troubling? Why?
- God has given us two families- biological and spiritual. Psalm 27:10 ESV says: For my father and my mother have forsaken me, but the Lord will take me in. When did you first realize that you were adopted into God’s family as His treasure? What does the saying “brothers and sisters” in the Bible passages mean to you personally?
- This week we affirmed that God has been there all along, part of your life from when you were knitted in the womb. Is there a time in your life when you turned away from Him or did not have a relationship with Him? What event or person brought you back?