Welcome back to our online Inductive Bible Study on the book of Acts, “The Holy Spirit Unleashed in You” at the Women’s Bible Cafe™. We just completed Week Two, “What Made the Church Distinctive? Are We Missing Something?” We observed Acts Chapter 2 and discovered that the promised Holy Spirit came on the day of the Jewish festival known as the day of Pentecost, also known as “Feast of Weeks” (see The Feasts of Israel chart on page 32). I can only imagine what must have gone through the minds of all who were there that day when they heard the sound like the blowing of a violent wind. We have seen what power the wind has during a tornado or hurricane. You cannot see the wind, but you can feel it, and you can see it’s destructive power. However, the Bible tells us this sound was not a wind but like a violent rushing wind:
“And suddenly there came from a heaven a noise like a violent rushing wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting.” Acts 2:2
What amazing power that came upon them on that day! The Holy Spirit enabled them to speak in tongues which was the outward sign of the baptism in the Holy Spirit. There has been a lot of confusion to the believer today what it means to speak in tongues. Just remember that this is a gift given to a select few by the Holy Spirit. It doesn’t mean that you do not have the Holy Spirit. If you have accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, believed that He died on the cross for your sins and that He rose again on the third day, and you have repented of your sins and live for Jesus today, the Holy Spirit now lives within you.
Kay Arthur writes in the Thought for the Week:
“When Jesus came as the Lamb of God, He died for our sins and rose from the dead because of our justification. Then the promise of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit could be given to all who would repent and call upon the name of the Lord–both Jew and Gentile.”
Can it get any better than this? I pray these past two weeks of study have been a blessing to you as it has been for me. Just knowing we have the power of the Holy Spirit…a resident Helper, Comforter, and Teacher to help us in our day to day living. But with great power comes great responsibility! We must share what we are learning with others. Tell others what the Holy Spirit is doing in your life. Share the Good News so that others can also come to know Jesus and receive the Holy Spirit!
And as Kay Arthur says, “Then, Beloved, you will know how to live…and you’ll be able to live forever and ever and ever.”
You don’t want to miss what’s coming up….keep studying and keep living!
ASSIGNMENT FOR THE WEEK:
- Join a small group and fellowship with your fellow Bible students.
- Complete your study of Week Three, “Bound by Your Humanity–Or Unleashed By His Spirit?
- Pray before you begin your study. Ask your resident Teacher, the Holy Spirit, to open your heart to wisdom and understanding to learn His truths.
- Store in your heart Acts 2:38-39.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR THIS WEEK (answer in small groups or post a comment here)
Ice Breaker Question: If you could go back and visit any time period in Bible history, what time would you travel to and why?
- What did you learn from this week’s study about the Holy Spirit that had a great impact on you?
- According to all you have seen from this week’s study in the Word of God, how would you explain the baptism of the Holy Spirit?
- Does what happened in Acts 2:41-47 sound like Christianity to you….today? If not, is there anything in your walk with the Lord and your ministry to others that you might change?
- From all that we have learned this week, how has the Spirit of God spoken to you personally? What have you learned that you want to incorporate into your life and witness?