Welcome back to our online Inductive Bible Study on the book of Acts, “The Holy Spirit Unleashed in You” at the Women’s Bible Cafe™. We have just finished Week One, “Witnessing: God’s Plan–The Holy Spirit: God’s Provision.” We studied Chapter one of the book of Acts in quite some detail. In Inductive Bible Study, you will discover that the secret to handling God’s Word accurately is to observe, observe, observe His Word, and to hang on to His every God-breathed word.
Our memory verse for this week is also the key verse in the book of Acts:
“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.” Acts 1:8
Jesus did not say you might receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, but that you will receive power. So what exactly does this power mean, and how are we to use this power in our own lives? These are some of the questions we will answer by discovering truth for ourselves in this awesome book of Acts. We have already started compiling a list on the Holy Spirit when we marked this key word in the first chapter. You will continue to add to this list as we progress through the study. Some of the highlights about the Holy Spirit from this week are:
- 1:2 By the Holy Spirit, Jesus gave orders to the apostles whom He had chosen
- 1:4 What the Father promised
- 1:5 Jesus to apostles just before He ascended: you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now
- 1:8 When He has come upon you, you’ll receive power and be My witnesses
- 1:16 Foretold Scripture by the mouth of David concerning Judas
We have only begun to scrape the surface of what it means to have the power of the Holy Spirit. We are embarking on a faith-journey, because we have been given the same calling as the apostles, to be His witnesses and to walk boldly sharing the Good News of the Gospel with all people we come in contact with to the ends of the earth.
Kay Arthur writes in the Thought for the Week:
“Whenever God calls you to do something for Him, He always supplies the means. You never have to do anything in your own strength, wisdom, or power. You have the Holy Spirit. He is your Helper.”
What an awesome first week of study this has been! Aren’t you awed by all that you have observed on your own simply by observing the text? Savor these truths, think about these truths, store these truths in your heart, talk to the Father about them, and thank Him for giving you His Holy book to study and to live by!
ASSIGNMENT FOR THE WEEK:
- Join a small group and fellowship with your fellow Bible students.
- Complete your study of Week Two, “What Made the Church Distinctive? Are We Missing Something?”
- Pray before you begin your study. Ask your resident Teacher, the Holy Spirit, to open your heart to wisdom and understanding to learn His truths.
- Store in your heart Acts 1:8.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR THIS WEEK (answer in small groups or post a comment here)
Ice Breaker Question: If you had to live this week over again, would you change anything? If so, what would that be?
- What does power look like in our world today?
- What part of witnessing is hardest for you? Do you witness very often? Why or why not?
- What evidence shows that your church has received the Holy Spirit’s power?
- What does the “remotest part of the earth” look like in our own lives? (Acts 1:8)