It’s our final week of the Experiencing God online Bible study at Women’s Bible Café. And congratulations – you made it! This is it ladies – the last chapter of a very important study. This week we are discussing Unit 12 of Experiencing God by Henry and Richard Blackaby – “Experiencing God in Your Daily Life.” In this lesson we look at moving beyond the information in the book to living a life where you experience God on a daily basis through a vibrant personal relationship with Him. In other words, how do we take what we have learned over the past 12 weeks and make it stick for a lifetime?
Our daily lessons this week included the following topics:
- Returning to God
- Experiencing God as Couples
- Joining God’s Activity in Your Children’s Lives
- Experiencing God in the Marketplace
- Continuing to Experience God
On Day 1 – Returning to God – Blackaby talks about the ways in which Christians may lose their intimacy with God. This is something which can happen to even the most zealous Christian if they are not careful. On pg. 250, Blackaby uses three parables in Luke 15 to illustrate three ways this can happen. Take a moment to review this information. Then say an earnest prayer asking God to protect your heart and your mind from this obstacles to your intimacy with God. Be reminded that if you should stumble, and it is highly likely that you will, there is always the opportunity for revival. Isn’t God wonderful?
Day 2 spoke about Experiencing God as a Couple. If God has given you a life partner, this lesson speaks to you about God’s purpose for marriage and the importance of looking closely at what God is saying to your spouse as well as what He is saying to you because it is likely He is talking to both of you together.
Day 3 talks about your children and how God is working through them. If you have kids, or hope to some day, it is important to recognize God’s purpose for them. He is conforming them to the image of Christ. Your role as a parent reflects this reality.
Day 4 – Experiencing God in the Marketplace – talks about how God works through our work. Our biggest mission field is not necessarily somewhere far away. More likely, it is among the people you work with every day.
Finally, we came to the final lesson of this 12 week study. In Day five Blackaby talks to us about “Continuing to Experience God” He leaves us with 5 final recommendations that will help us to “continue going deeper with our Lord” (pg. 265-6). I will leave you with these five recommendations as your “homework” as we complete the Experiencing God study and prepare to incorporate these lessons into our everyday lives:
- Stay immersed in God’s Word.
- Remain intimately involves with a church family that will love and nurture you.
- Pray regularly.
- Strive to keep your vows to God.
- Take time to process what God has said to you or done in your life through this course.
Further, I urge you to complete Questions 5 and 6 on p. 266 in detail. Come back to these pages when you feel yourself drifting and forgetting what you have learned in this course. Let these pages remind you!
In parting let me remind you of our memory verse for Unit 12. This very really does sum up what “Experiencing God” is all about – and how to continue to do it was this course comes to a close.
“Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another – and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” Hebrews 10:24-25
Can you accept this on-going assignment? How will it look in your day to day life going forward? We will talk about that in our final small group discussion this week.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR THIS WEEK (answer in your small group or post your answers here):
- Have you ever experienced a loss of intimacy with God? If so, how did it occur? Did it fit one of the three ways described by Blackaby in Day 1 Returning to God on p. 250-251?
- If you are married, what are some ways you and your spouse are presently joining God’s activity together? What are some ways you would like to? (p. 256)
- Describe a time when your family ministered together. What are some ways they could minister together in the future? (p. 261)
- In what ways is your workplace a mission field? If you are not employed, how does this apply to your other “non-church” activities? (p. 264)
- What do you sense God is wanting you to do next to stay connected in the body of Christ? (p. 265)
- Review the most meaningful statements or Scriptures you listed at the end of each day in this study. Of all those statements or Scriptures, which one has had the most profound impact on your thinking, your actions and your life? Share it with us now or after your small group ends. (p. 266).
What an amazing twelve weeks this has been! I hope that the Experiencing God study has been life changing for you. As Blackaby tells us on pg. 264 “This course should be only the starting point for a whole new adventure in following Christ daily”. This wonderful ride was just the beginning! I will miss you all.