Welcome back to our online Inductive Bible study at the Women’s Bible Café. We have one more week of study, and we will have completed our Inductive study on “How to Study Your Bible.” We have learned so much these past nine weeks, and it is my prayer that these Bible study tools have greatly impacted your Bible study experience in a positive way.
This week we will learn how to study a specific subject. For example, you may want to study what God’s Word has to say about prayer. You would use a concordance or a chain-reference Bible and look up the word “prayer.” You would then list all the Scripture references on the subject of prayer and organize your findings in an outline format.
A topical study gives the total picture of what the Word of God has to say on a particular subject.
We will also be learning how to do a character study. Character studies help you to understand how God interacted with men and women during times of trials as well as good times. We get a better understanding to how God also interacts with us in today’s times.
Kay Arthur writes:
“Throughout His Word, God has given us true stories of people who have experienced victories, defeats, second chances, struggles, ecstasies, and depressions–people just like us.”
Our daily reading lessons this week includes:
- Chapter 15: Studying Topically by Subject
- Chapter 16: Character Studies—Learning from the Lives of Others
ASSIGNMENT FOR THE WEEK:
- Begin your Bible study by praying and asking the Holy Spirit to guide you into all truth and to open your mind and heart for understanding His Holy Word.
- Read Chapters 15 and 16 in How to Study Your Bible.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR THIS WEEK (answer in your small group or post your answers here):
- Choose a subject of interest to you and look up the subject in the concordance of your Bible. Read the Scriptures on your subject and look up every parallel and relative passage on the subject. Share with your group the subject you chose and the truths you have gleaned from your discovery.
- How can a topical study help you in your daily life?