Welcome back to women’s online Bible study at Women’s Bible Café! This week we will be discussing Unit Four of Experiencing God by Henry and Richard Blackaby entitled “Love and God’s Invitation.” Our lessons this week took us into a deeper understanding of what it means to love God and be loved by Him. Great concepts but very intense and very powerful if we let them be.
Our daily lessons this week included:
- Know God
- Worship God
- Love God
- God Invites You to Join Him
- Knowing Where God Is At Work
These concepts sure are building on one another each week, aren’t they? On the surface, it seems like the lessons are repeating themselves…because they are…but each week is taking us deeper.
Our memory verse for this week is John 14:21 “Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.” This verse summarizes what loving God and being loved by Him looks like.
There is such a difference between knowing ABOUT God and actually KNOWING God for ourselves. That difference is huge. Consider the difference between hearing someone describe a sunset and seeing one for ourselves – is there any comparison? Of course not! We have to experience the sunset for ourselves to really comprehend it. Likewise, we can only know so much about God from listening to others. When we experience Him for ourselves we get to know Him for ourselves. We get to know Him when we spend time with Him in prayer or in worship. We get to know Him when we join Him in whatever He is doing around us. We get to know God when we obey Him. We get to know God when we love Him. Do you know God for yourself, or are you depending on the experiences of others? Don’t be afraid to jump in and have your own personal love relationship with the one who made you!
YOUR ASSIGNMENT FOR THE WEEK:
- Join a small group for study and fellowship.
- Complete Week 5 in your Experiencing God workbook.
- Optional: Watch the Session 5 video or listen to the audio.
- Record your thoughts in your spiritual journal.
BIBLE STUDY TIP FOR THE WEEK:
Have you thought about how you can use your Bible study time to get to know God? How can you experience Him in a deeper way as you complete the lessons? The answer has nothing to do with the questions. It has to do with prayer. Are you taking the time to pray each day before you start your lesson? If not, try it today and see what a difference it can make! Start your lesson by going to God in prayer to ask Him to send his Spirit to help you focus your attention on the day’s lesson and to bind all distractions that may try to interfere with your Bible study time. Ask Him to guide you to what He would have you learn each day, to the lesson He has in these pages that is just for you. Ask Him to teach you and to reveal more of Himself to you each day. Prayer changes things, including the way we look at Scripture and our Bible study lessons. Use it and see what a difference a little prayer can make! You will be glad you did.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR THIS WEEK (answer in your small group or post your answers here):
1. Describe an event through which you know you experienced God at work in your life. What name could you use to describe the God you experienced? (pg. 71-72)
2. Day Two’s lesson asks you to spend time in worship. If you did this exercise, tell us about your experience. (pg. 74)
3. How can you demonstrate your love for God? (p. 75)
4. How can you recognize God’s activity around you? What two factors are most important and why? (p. 80)
5. “What God initiates, He always completes.” Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Why or why not? (p. 86)
I hope that this week’s lessons have challenged you to really get to know God in new and different ways. I pray that you have been able to keep up with the lessons in the midst of your hectic schedules. If you are behind, do not despair! Make a plan to get caught up – and do it. It is worth the effort!
See you next week!