Welcome back to online Bible study at Women’s Bible Café! This week we will be discussing Unit Three of Experiencing God by Henry and Richard Blackaby entitled “God Pursues a Love Relationship.” Wow – how can we not get into that?
Our daily lessons this week included some great topics:
- Created for a Love Relationship
- A Love Relationship With God
- Walking with God
- God Pursues a Love Relationship
- A Real, Personal, Practical Relationship
That’s right – we have been talking about love, relationships and God this week in a big way.
Our memory verse for the week sums it all up pretty well:
“Jesus replied: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment.” (Matthew 22:37-38)
That verse makes this seem like a simple matter, doesn’t it? But loving God in that way is anything but simple for sinful beings such as ourselves. So many things are constantly taking out time, our attention, and our “love.” We “love” so easily – we love our spouses, our kids, our friends, our jobs, our homes, our churches, our pastors, our cars, our favorite TV shows, our favorite restaurant, those new shoes we got on sale, the color we painted our living room, our iPhones, a good night’s sleep, the new Pilates instructor….but do we love God, really love Him, in the way this verse describes?
I know I don’t…at least not consistently. But God does love us that way – all the time. That’s quite a concept to grasp. He loves us, unconditionally, all day, every day, regardless of what we do, or say, or think. God takes the initiative. He pursues us. How cool is that????
This week we looked at the importance of building a relationship with the Lord that is real, personal and practical. That relationship is the cornerstone of everything – that’s right, everything. As Blackaby says “A love relationship with God is more important than any other single factor in your life”. It trumps the iPhone, the shoes, the TV shows, the food, the cars, the house, the job, the kids, the spouse… it really is everything. Are you willing to live like it is?
YOUR ASSIGNMENT FOR THE WEEK:
– Join a small group for study and fellowship.
– Complete Week 4 in your Experiencing God workbook
– Optional: Watch the Session 4 video or listen to the audio.
– Record your thoughts in your spiritual journal.
BIBLE STUDY TIP FOR THE WEEK:
Pack your bag! Take your Bible and your workbook on the road with you – everywhere. I am often called a bag lady because I have a tote bag for everything under the sun! I have a work bag, a school bag, an exercise bag, and a Bible bag. They all hang out in the back seat of my car when I am not using them – that way I never leave home without them. My bible bag contains my NIV Life Application Bible, my Experiencing God materials, and a huge pencil bag full of my favorite pens, pencils, highlighters, and markers plus post it notes galore. By taking my Bible bag with me everywhere, I can use those extra minutes (which so often turn into hours a week) to complete my lessons. No, it’s not foolproof and like the rest of you, I often have to play catch up on the weekends but it certainly helps. Try it and let me know what you think!
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR THIS WEEK (answer in your small group or post your answers here):
1. Can you describe your relationship with God by sincerely saying “I love you with all my heart”? (p. 53)
2. What are some things in your past that have a strong limiting influence on your life today? Do you think you are primarily shaped by your past or by your future? Why? (p. 57)
3. Look at the chart you made on p. 58. In what are you investing your life, your time, and your resources? Which of these will pass away? Which have eternal value? What adjustments do you sense God wants you to make?
4. How do you know God loves you? What evidence convinces you of His love for you? (p. 62)
5. Can you describe your relationship with God as real, personal and practical? Why or why not? (p. 66)
I sincerely hope that this week’s lessons have challenged you to look at your love relationship with your Lord and Savior. I pray that your relationship with Him is growing and that your find yourself “Experiencing God” in a new way as a result of this study. Not feeling that yet? Persevere and you will. This is still just the beginning!
See you next week!