Welcome to online Bible study at the Womens Bible Cafe! This is our final week of our Kay Arthur Bible Study, “Covenant.” These eight weeks have flown by! Although it is with great sadness we will meet for the last time in our small groups, we are so excited that you have persevered and completed this Bible study. God will bless you for your obedience to studying His precepts.
If, however, you have fallen behind in the lessons, please do not give up! You can still complete the lessons at your own pace until you finish the study of Covenant.
This week we are discussing Week Eight, “The Covenant of Transforming Power” and are covering these weekly themes:
- I Will Put My Spirit Within
- When the Holy Spirit is Given
- Servants of the New Covenant
- The Promise of the Spirit Through Faith
- Living the New Covenant Life
Kay Arthur writes, “What makes the new covenant so powerful that it can absolutely change a person, set her free from the fear of death, and give her the ability to live as more than a conqueror?”
Something to think about!
There is such freedom in the new covenant. We are a new creation. Created in the likeness of Jesus Christ, and we have been set free. Jesus Christ came and died in our place, for our sins, so we could live in eternity with Him.
However, our flesh is still very much alive, and we will still have temptations, but when we choose to walk in the Spirit, by faith and not by sight, we CAN overcome and walk in righteousness.
“If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.” Galatians 5:25 (NASB)
What freedom there is to walk with Jesus Christ! We are no longer slaves to the chains that bind! We are heirs of the promise. And it is worth repeating…
WE HAVE BEEN SET FREE!
“Therefore, you are no longer a slave, but a son; and if a son, than an heir through God.” Galatians 4:7 (NASB)
The new covenant is also an unconditional covenant. It never expires! Jesus paid the penalty for our sins once and for all. He overcame death, and we will also overcome death.
Kay Arthur writes, “Physical death is not our enemy, rather, it is the door into heaven for all who are partakers of the new covenant in His blood.”
Are you a partaker of the new covenant?
ASSIGNMENT FOR THE WEEK:
- Join a small group and fellowship with your fellow Bible students.
- Optional due to cost: Watch Session 9 video or listen to the audio and follow along in your workbook on page 204. To download videos or audios CLICK HERE
- Write out a prayer of praise to God thanking Him for what He has taught you in this study of Covenant. You can write this in the margin of your workbook or in your journal.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR THIS WEEK (answer in small groups or post a comment here)
- How does the Law lead us to Christ? What does it show us that makes us see we need Jesus? (Pages 194-197)
- How do you cast out the bondwoman of legalism or works of the flesh? How do you keep the flesh in check, under control, when things get out of control? (Pages 199-200)
- How can we explain to a new believer what it means to “walk in the Spirit?” What are some ways you are walking in the Spirit? (Page 202)
- “But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.” (Galatians 5:22-23). Which fruit of the spirit do you struggle with the most and why? (Page 202)
- Bonus Question: What has meant the most to you in this study of Covenant?
Registration is now open for the new online Inductive study written by Kay Arthur, David Arthur and Pete DeLacy, “How to Study Your Bible.” This study will begin on March 30, 2015. In this study, you will learn the joy and value of Inductive Bible studies that will help you discover truth for yourself when you read and study God’s Holy Word. Kay Arthur states, “Inductive Bible study draws you into personal interaction with the Scripture and thus with the God of the Scriptures so that your beliefs are based on a prayerful understanding and legitimate interpretation of Scripture–truth that transforms you when you live by it.”
Our new WBCInductiveStudies chat room is now open. Please join by clicking this link and a leader will approve you. http://www.facebook.com/groups/WBCInductiveStudies/