Welcome to our Spring Online Bible study! We’ve all felt invisible and anonymous during different seasons of our life, or perhaps you know someone who feels insignificant and you’re here to learn tools for helping a daughter or friend. In her book “Anonymous: Discovering the Somebody You Are to God,” Bible teacher Cindi Wood says “While the opinions of others may drag us down, the God who created us has an entirely different opinion God who we are.” During our time together, we will learn to see ourselves as His creation. Will you accept the invitation to discover you are somebody to God? If so, then sign the invitation on page eight in your “Anonymous” book. Let’s begin!
This week you’ll join a small group discussion via our private Facebook group. All small groups meet in the same place each week, so if you miss your regular group then you’re welcome to join another group discussion. This unique flexibility for Womens Bible Cafe online studies ensures you’ll have access to our group fellowship when your schedule is chaotic! Our leaders keep attendance lists to kelp you stay accountable and also to pray for you each week, so when possible choose one primary day and time for your meeting.
Your small group meeting will be a mixture of diverse women from different denominations around the world. We find a common ground of discussion, based on the workbooks we study. Another unique feature of the Womens Bible Cafe is that we remove barriers to spiritual growth because you will not be judged by your appearance, marital status, economic status, age, knowledge, health, etc. We don’t divide our small groups and all women are treated with equal respect. Your voice matters most and our ministry leaders are equipped to help you share your heart and grow in faith.
When you join the chatroom you will see a SMALL GROUP schedule pinned to the top of the group. All groups are open attendance. Select the day and time that works best for your schedule. Look for the leader photo on the day and time, and then join the discussion which takes place right under that photo.
A FEW GUIDELINES FOR ONLINE BIBLE STUDY
IMPORTANT: During the first week of online Bible study, many women may be exploring different small groups. Some groups will be larger and move very fast, while others will be smaller and easier to read. This will all change during the second week as the women settle into the groups they have decided to join. Please be patient – the second week becomes much easier to follow!
CONFIDENTIALITY: Anything shared in the group is not to be repeated outside of the group. Please respect the women who are transparent with their testimonies.
SENSITIVITY: Please be sensitive to the discussion by not interrupting with Facebook symbols or links to outside videos or articles (these can be shared at the end of the chat if necessary). Please also remember that nothing discussed is about one individual; it’s about the Holy Spirit, so please allow everyone a chance to share. Finally, we want this to be a place where women can tell what they are going through or feeling without being told how to ‘fix’ things. Sometimes we all simply long to be heard rather than be told what to do.
NON-DENOMINATIONAL: As a diverse group of women, we have different church doctrines, Bible translations and theologies. This is a place to respectfully disagree, rather than judging one another, so that you may grow and understand different viewpoints. It’s okay to question and see things differently; however, we ask you to be kind and sensitive to the feelings of others.
ASSIGNMENT FOR THIS WEEK
- On the inside cover of your book, write the date you are starting this study. Journal a prayer about what you hope to learn through the study.
- Sign the invitation on page eight of your book.
- Join a small group this week
- Read WEEK ONE in your book. You’ll read one lesson per day, each lesson is about 20 minutes.
- Optional due to cost: AFTER you finish the reading assignment, watch video session One available from Amazon or publisher website.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR THE WEEK
You will have the opportunity to share your answers to these questions during your small group time. You may also post them here. Consider also recording your answers in your spiritual journal.
- Tell us where you are from and if God gave you a nickname, what would it be?
- During our study we’ll be learning about women in the Bible who were Judged, Hurting, Ordinary and Shamed. All of these women encountered Jesus and their lives were changed through Grace. Pray for a moment, and then ask the Holy Spirit: Which woman do I need to study most? What is His answer: Judged, Hurting, Ordinary or Shamed? You answer may reflect someone close to you, or perhaps a sensitive place in your own heart.
- Every human wants to be somebody, to have significance and purpose in life. What does significance look like to you? How would you define this?
- Every woman has an identity. Some identities are influenced by family, media, education, religion, political party and race. Yet these are not identities from God, they are created by people. How do you think these identities influence our behavior and thinking?
- If you met yourself as a 16-year old girl, what advice would you give her that you didn’t have then?