Welcome to online Bible study at the Womens Bible Cafe! We’re discussing Week Two from the book Covenant by Kay Arthur. It’s not too late to join this online Bible study, our small groups are open attendance and everyone is invited to participate! This week we studied “The Customs of Covenant” and our lessons included:
- The Son of a King
- The Gift of a Robe
- And the Word Became Flesh
- In Full Armor
- When the World Hates You
Kay Arthur states that “a covenant relationship is a binding agreement between two parties–one that usually carries with it not only certain blessings but also responsibilities.” We saw this in our study this week when Jonathan took off his robe and put it on David. When David accepted the robe from Jonathan, he took on Jonathan’s identity, and they entered into a covenant relationship. The two have become one by an eternal bond of love and friendship.
What an awesome picture this is of what it means to be one with Jesus Christ. When we accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, we are entering into a covenant relationship with Him. He is the robe we wear, and we have taken on His identity. When we wear the robe of Christ, we now have the awesome responsibility to keep it clean and blameless, not to soil the robe or get it dirty with unclean acts, thoughts and deeds. You may ask, well how do we keep it clean? We are cleansed by the blood of Christ when He shed His blood on the Cross for our sins. When we put on the robe of Christ, we were made clean once and for all. Our new robes will stay white, because our sins have been forgiven. We put aside our former way of life (taking off our old dirty smelly robe), and we put on Christ (the shiny and new white robe), and we take up His Cross daily and follow Him. Jesus Christ exchanged robes with us!! I find that incredibly fascinating and mind-blowing!
“For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ” Galatians 3:27.
“…put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth” Ephesians 4:24.
What does your robe look like? Are you wearing the robe of Christ today?
ASSIGNMENT FOR THE WEEK:
- Join a small group and fellowship with your fellow Bible students!
- Basic Study: Complete Week 3 in the Covenant workbook, about 20-30 minutes each day.
- Optional due to cost: Watch Session 3 video or listen to the audio and follow along in your workbook on page 61. To download videos CLICK HERE
- Write a prayer to God in the margin of your workbook thanking Him for giving you His robe, forgiving your sins and giving you newness of life in Him.
- Digging Deeper: Do a word study on “baptized” in Galatians 3:27. Use the resources at www.blueletterbible.org. Instructions on how to use this tool is included in “Files” in the WBC Covenant chat room. Write your findings on what it means to be “baptized in Christ” in the margin of your workbook or your journal.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR THIS WEEK (answer in small groups or post a comment here)
- What are the most important qualities you value in a close friendship?
- What does it mean to be clothed in righteousness? (page 51)
- When we enter into covenant with Christ, what is the exchange? What difference is this exchange making in your life today?
- Upon marking the word “world” what did you discover? How does the world feel about us and why? (page 59)
Bonus Question: Since we are in covenant with God, what is to be our response to the world? Explain your answer. (page 60)