Welcome back to online Bible study at the Womens Bible Cafe! We’re discussing week five from the book Jeremiah, Daring to Hope in an Unstable World by Melissa Spoelstra. We’re almost finished with the study! This week we studied “Quitting the Blame Game: Personal Responsibility” and our lessons included:
- Good Discipline
- Finding a Target
- Perilous Pride
- Going Through the Motions
- Rescue with Repentance
We’re having some great discussions in small groups this week, as we talk about trusting God, sowing and reaping, and spiritual dryness. Spend time in prayer this week, asking God what He wants you to do with this information. Where is He asking you to make corrections? What is He asking you to let go? How does He want you to spend your time for the remainder of this year and month?
Here’s a short sample video for Session 5
ASSIGNMENT FOR THE WEEK:
- Basic Study: Complete week 6 in the study guide, about 20-30 minutes each day.
- Deeper Study: Read Jeremiah chapters 45 to 64 in a Bible translation of your choice.
- Digging Deeper resources are available at: http://www.abingdonpress.com/jeremiah
- Optional: Watch session 6 video (optional due to cost).
- Memory Verse: For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11 NLT
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR THIS WEEK (answer in small groups or post a comment here)
- Have you every compared yourself to others around you and thought that God was unjust? How can you apply the message of “trust God alone” to your situation? (page 136-137)
- What lessons have you learned the hard way according to the sowing and reaping principle? (page 138)
- How does the media portray Christianity? Do you think the media’s posture toward faith in Christ ever resembles that of the people of Judah toward Jeremiah’s message? If so, in what ways? (page 151)
- Which areas of spiritual life did you check that may have lost their freshness in connecting you with God? (page 157). What action steps or changes in routine is God calling you to implement? (page 158)
- As we end this week on blame, what was your biggest take-away?