Welcome back to week three of online Bible Study as we continue with Children of the Day by Beth Moore. Before we talk about this week’s lesson, did anyone take a snapshot of the verses you are writing in the back of your workbook and post them on our Facebook page at http://facebook.com/womensbiblecafe We’d love to see scripture written in your own hand, so share your photos when you post them on our facebook page.
We have a flashback of last week’s lesson and review two sources of hindrances: each other and satan. But it was also revealed that there is a third source, you bet, the woman in the mirror (you and me). By not heeding the instruction in Hebrews 12:1 to “throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles…” (NIV) our own bad habits hinder our growth and walk with God.
- Therefore then, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses [who have borne testimony to the Truth], let us strip off and throw aside every encumbrance (unnecessary weight) and that sin which so readily (deftly and cleverly) clings to and entangles us, and let us run with patient endurance and steady and active persistence the appointed course of the race that is set before us Hebrews 12:1 Amplified
- Since we are surrounded by so many examples of faith, we must get rid of everything that slows us down, especially sin that distracts us. We must run the race that lies ahead of us and never give up. Hebrews 12:1 GOD’S Word
- Do you see what this means—all these pioneers who blazed the way, all these veterans cheering us on? It means we’d better get on with it. Strip down, start running—and never quit! No extra spiritual fat, no parasitic sins. Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we’re in. Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed—that exhilarating finish in and with God—he could put up with anything along the way: Cross, shame, whatever. And now he’s there, in the place of honor, right alongside God. When you find yourselves flagging in your faith, go over that story again, item by item, that long litany of hostility he plowed through. That will shoot adrenaline into your souls! Hebrews 12:1-3 Message
Are there things that you need to throw off?
Whatever it is, with God’s help you can throw it aside so that you can freely worship God! During this week, pray to God and ask Him to reveal what is a hindrance to you and ask Him to help you throw it aside. Connect with a small group discussion and discover what others are leading through this Beth Moore Bible study.
The prayer wall is a great place to post prayers, find the monthly Womens Bible Cafe prayer calendar and to pray for one another. Be sure to visit the page when you click here. We also have a Facebook prayer group with almost 7,000 women… you can find it here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/WBCprayers/ (login to Facebook before you click the URL).
ASSIGNMENT FOR THE WEEK
- Read Week Four in your workbook.
- Join a small group this week!
- OPTIONAL: Listen to Audio Session Three or Video Session Three (optional due to cost)
- Visit Beth Moore’s blog for a Summer Bible Study update
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR THE WEEK (share answers in small groups)
- Timothy was called to go on a journey with God. Beth Moore asked us to consider his decision-making process on page 75 in the workbook (week 3, day three). Have you ever been called by God for a task, large or small? If so, what factors did you consider before moving forward?
- Beth Moore says on page 80 “Scripture does not stop at telling us we’ll have pressures and afflictions.” Share an example of pressure or affliction and how you responded when afflicted. Do you stand and fight, hide and retreat and sit still until you have clear direction?