One Word 2014

By December 30, 2013Misc

oneword

Please join us at the Womens Bible Cafe as we embark on the One Word journey. Instead of making new year resolutions, the concept of One Word is to select a single word for the year. You’ll choose just one word and focus on this word all year long.

Selecting One Word for the year is personal and unique to you. Don’t let a friend or family member choose it for you, find the word yourself. Once you make the decision to choose One Word for 2014, then your heart and eyes will be open for it. You’ll seek the word and it will find you.

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. Matt 7:7-8 NIV

Pray about your One Word. See if you start noticing a theme or repeating word, something that jumps out at you or sticks to your side like glue. Be observant of your surroundings and look for your one word for 2014. You might find it in a day or two, or you might find it in a few weeks. Start looking and see what you find.

If you want to dig deeper into this unique One Word experience, I recommend reading the book One Perfect Word by Debbie Macomber.

This year my One Word is “Devoted.” I will begin with a scripture study of the word, praying daily on how to apply to word in my life. I am very excited to see where this word leads me in 2014.

If you have One Word for 2014, please share it by posting a comment below.

Happy New Year!

• Pat Bojinoff says:

My One Word is Restored. I started with restore. But God is already in process of restoring areas of finance, health and times alone with the Lord. i pray by years end these areas will be restored.

• Teresa White says:

My word is strength. I have never done a One Word before. Thank you!!

• osylvia says:

Resurrection:

the act of causing something that had ended or been forgotten or lost to exist again, to be used again, etc. (www.m-w.com).

Synonyms- reanimation, rebirth, regeneration, rejuvenation, rejuvenescence, renewal, resurgence, revival, resuscitation, revitalization, revivification

Many areas of my life were being drained to near extinction. This is a year of resurrections!

• Carolyn Williams says:

Intimacy!

• Stephanie says:

Restoration

• Pastor Yolanda Thomas says:

My one Word is Wholeness…..I will focus on my wholeness in Christ, not because of something I have done but all because of what He has done. Not because of who I am but because of Who’s I am…..No matter what anyone tells me I am Whole!

• Lynne says:

Today as I meditated on my word RESPECT, I was led to look through the Book of Romans. I found much about how to look at yourself and measure your true value, how to look at others, how to get along with others, relationships in general, and finding value by following the guidance of the Lord. I will study this book slowly. I will use an easdy to read “translation” type of bible written for teens to begin my study. I want to study the spirit of the message in this Book and not get hung up in the technical or theological aspects of the Book.

• Judy Kennedy says:

I have chosen the word “renew” as my One Word for 2014. This is my first time on such an interesting adventure. I am looking forward to what the Lord teaches me through this One Word this year.

• Ashley says:

My one word is holiness. It was planted in my heart last year for thus year as I sought God. Holiness because as God’s children we are called to be holy as He is.

• Deaidre says:

About 6 years ago, I lost my faith and lived a lifestyle that I could not even imagine. Although, my debauchery provided a small level of pleasure and enjoyment, I still felt empty, often time, out of place and unhappy with my life direction. I was a lost soul and could not see what I was yielding for. What I was needing, was a restoration in my relationship with my heavenly Father. I took that much needed steps months ago to restore that relationship, which was God needed – for me to take a step in towards him. So like a stumbling toddle that is learning the value of balance in order to walk, I’ve crawled and stumbled my way back home to his loving, patient loving arms. I can feel his Spirit upon my broken soul. The warmth of his embrace that is assuring me of his dedication to make me whole-soul once again if I continue to obey and rely on him. So that is my ONE WORD for 2014 – DEDICATION. 2014 will be the year for me to rededicate my serve, my love, my confidence, my trust, my joy, my heart to my God, Jehovah God.

• Marilyn says:

My word is divine. I will seek all things sacred and God like in all aspects of my daily life’

• My word is relationship. I want to work on my relationship with not only god but my family members and friends.

• My word is RESTORE. To really restore my relationship with our Lord in a Daily disciplined,passionate and purposeful manner and to RESTORE all aspects of my living to reflect the fruits of the Spirit

• Nancy says:

My “one” word is Holy Spirit. I knew immediately when I found this Bible study what my word would be because I have been reflecting lately on how awesome it is when a person accepts Christ as their Savior, they are immediately indwelt by the Spirit of God. For me that was 48 years ago and this year I want to really concentrate on what that means…should mean to me.

• Cindy Wynn says:

My word is Revival. I am praying for a revival of dedication, and focus on the Word of God daily. Last year was one of inconsistency and I’m determined to make this year reflect the Love that I have with my relationship with the Lord.

• Tina says:

This year my one word is VICTORY!!! Choosing my weapons wisely for I know the battle ahead of me.

• Catelyn says:

My word is devote. I am going to be more devoted to God, I will devote more of my time to have my daily readings and prayers.

• The last 2 years my word for the year has been RESTORATION but this year it definitely has to FAITH. Those who know personally should understand.

My word this year is LIGHT. How GOD & his word is the light of my life and how I need to be a light to the world. I need to move from the darkness that’s been around me into the LIGHT.

• Pat Tayes says:

Since I am starting a new season in my life I thought I would choose the word Prayer. My goal this year is to have a closer relationship with God.

• Becky Ewing says:

My Word is Trust. I want to learn to trust God totally and trust in general.

• Norma says:

Trust….

• Linda says:

my one word is “Listen”. I will listen more to friends and family and The Lord. Looking forward to an awesome year as I listen and then do what I need to do from there .

• chantell78 says:

My word if FOCUSED! I need to be focused on the word of God, focused on my prayer life, focused on my Christian walk. I must be focused on not just reading the word, but studying the word. I must be focused on the needs of my family and what God has in store for us. I must be focused on becoming a better mother, a better wife, a better friend, a better follower and witness for Christ. I must be FOCUSED!

• Cynthia says:

My word is CONTENTMENT! I want to strive to be content exactly where God has me. Trusting in HIS guidance and strength to carry me through whatever is ahead for me this year.

• Jo says:

My word is FAITH. I want to grow where I don’t ever even let a second thought of doubt come into my mind. I have really started to dig into the word.

• Jo says:

My word is discipline. I have so many wonderful things going on in my life right now.I am truly blessed. But I do tend to procrastinate and out things ofF.Discipline ha been on my mind lately. That I need to be more disciplined in my daily activities to accomplish all that I have been tasked with

• Lynne says:

My word is RESPECT. I have been studying it and meditating on it. This morning the thought came to me that allowing myself to be in a nearly constant state of anxiety or anger is not showing respect to my health and body. The Lord wants us to respect our body so that we are healthy enough to serve Him. It is a novel thought for me, a person who allows outside influences to determine my mood. I posted this with the hope that through the year we participants in this Word Study can share, support, pray for and learn from each other. Thank you.

• Wendy Schryver says:

My word is JOY.

• Dondi Floyd says:

Honesty. That seems like a basic character trait that most Christians wouldn’t struggle with. But for me, it has been a weakness most of my life. I have tried to portray myself to be whatever kind of person I thought someone wanted me to be or to make people like me better. I have built myself up in the past to look better in someone’s eyes and impress them. My word is honesty because if I actually LIVED the Godly life I wanted people to think I did, then that’s what my life would be truthfully. 🙂

• One word does not need to be something you struggle with, it is simply a word that the Lord places into your heart for reflection.

• Dondi Floyd says:

It is not my one word simply because I struggle with it, and it is more than simply a word to me. It is something He has placed into my heart to work on and I just thought it fell into this category.

• Martha says:

My word is deeper !!

• Joyce says:

Hello all and Happy New Year. I just saw the one word challenge so I am looking for the one work that would describe what I need to do.

• My one word for 2014 in ‘Quiet’. I want to spend less time speaking, more time listening. More time quieting my spirit and resting in His presence daily.

• Sue Begin says:

Sue says, My 2014 word is release. There are many, many things I need to release. Anger, fear, worry, stress, forgiving – yet taking it back to solve the problem myself, concern for tomorrow while not enjoying today, laughter, etc. The list goes on and on.

• Sue Begin says:

Release

• Amy S. says:

My word for 2014 is HONOR. I want to honor God’s will in my life, to honor (respect my husband) better, and to honor others above myself. I hope that this will be a reminder to be more loving and selfless to others.

• My word for the year is: compassion. How can I choose to show more compassion to myself, my family and friends and the world around me.

• SYREETA says:

Consistent: In the past I’ve not been able to complete the things that matter to ME. Others would say that I am consistent,and I am with them. This year I want to matter to me.

• This year, I choose “Come”, as in “Come near to God and He will come near to you.”
    (James 4:8a)

• Andrea Lee says:

My word for the year is COMMITMENT One thing that is a constant in all the ways I’d like to grow, physically, spiritually, relationally, financially…are going to take commitment…in the past I’ve been pretty bad with it.

• Sandra Ertley says:

My word is ” release ” . Release my anger and learn to forgive, release my troubles to God and know he will guide me.

• Anna says:

My word is ‘simplify’. It just kept coming up, and there are so many areas I need to apply this.

• kathienewell says:

My 2014 word is GRATEFULNESS. By focusing on all that I have to be grateful for on each of the next 365 days, I believe I will keep a more positive outlook on life and hopefully that will be reflected in how others see me. And most importantly, each day I want to express my GRATEFULNESS to our Heavenly Father for my life and all of my blessings.

• Aziza Johnson says:

My word for the year is Release. This is the year that I release unforgiveness, love, and passion for God so that His Power can be released in my life.

• lindaa58 says:

MY word is going to be Thankful. Rather than fret about what I don’t have in 2014 I want to concentrate on being thankful for all that I do have.

• Connie Smith says:

My 2014 word is PURPOSE. What is my purpose is the most basic question everyone faces in life.

• My word is TRUST. Trust first and foremost, in God. Not relying on my own knowledge, or my friends and family, but God to reveal what is important. I also want to be someone others can trust, that I could be useful to God.

• "ynne says:

My 2014 word is RESPECT. I believe it is the foundation of all healthy relationships, both with yourself and others. I was not raised within this foundation and hope to learn about it and implement it in this year. I think studying this word will open a study on other words: anger, resentment, tolerance, kindness, and acceptance.

• ccart22 says:

My word for the year is “Discipline”. I’m starting the year off by reading The Spirit of the Disciplines: Understanding How God Changes Lives by Dallas Willard, and will follow up with Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth by Richard J Foster. Any further reading recommendations are appreciated. I’m excited to see where the study of this word, and of His Word, takes me in the year ahead!

• Jenifer Jay says:

My word for this year is “Love”.

• I am so excited this year with all the “stuff” I’m going to be doing that will bring me closer to my Lord! This is the first year I am embarking on the One Word Journey. As I was reading another post, the word TEACH popped into my spirit, so I am looking forward to where this word leads me!!

• Vikki says:

My word is patience for 2014 and I will be working on finding scriptures for that word. It’s a word that encompass so many goals in my life. This is new for me but this challenge of word resonated with me today.

• Tracee says:

Wow, I will post my word tonight !! This is awesome!

• Carri Teston says:

Renew. After a year of many trials I need a renewing. A renewal of my spirit. A renewal of my walk with God. Just a renewing completely! I love the idea of this and am so very excited to be a part of this!

• Tish Burnett says:

My word for 2014 is. ..wait.
    Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord! Psalm 27:14

• mamacee7 says:

Last year, I was introduced to the One Word. Last year my word was renew. This year after thinking and praying about it my One Word is worship. It was the word that kept coming to me and would not let me go. Worship is such an integral part of who we are as God’s children and yet too many times we, unintentionally or not, limit our actual worship to an hour or so a week. Worship should be part of our daily lives. I love the words from Jamie Grace’s song “Beautiful Day” where she sings about getting her “worship on”. That is what I plan, with God’s help, to do this year–get my worship on every day.

• Dawn says:

I think my word may be “Faith”. I have faith but want stronger faith. I will pray on my word.

• Nanajan says:

Happy New Year

• Amy says:

So excited to be joining you on the One Word Journey!

This will be my third year selecting a word for the year. I wrote a blog on what happened in 2013 when my word for the year was Joy! In my life, I have found any time you offer something up to God -– well, He has a way of increasing it. He goes above and beyond my expectations every time, and he surely did that for me in 2013 – it was filled with JOY I could never even have imagined.

My word for 2014 is Trust! I have my verse selected, and have journaled on the ways I want to grow in trust.

Happy New Year to All!

• Sharon Clemons says:

I think this is a fascinating study and I will be praying about joining the study group!

• Char says:

I have been choosing “one word” for the past three years. Little did I know that my husband would be diagnosed with Glioblastoma brain cancer in 2012. That year I had chosen the word “embrace” and God used my focus on that word to get me through the surgeries and treatments. 2013 I had chosen “presence” and God’s presence was felt and demonstrated through every appointment and decision we had to make throughout the year. My new word is “strength” and I am excited and eager to learn about the strength of the Lord and how that will sustain me as we walk this cancer road.

• In 2014 my word is “Disciplined”..

• M-Jaye Johnson says:

My one word is “commitment.” 2013 exposed many commitment issues/flaws
    in my life (studying, my church, my eating, exercise, finances, just to name a few). My prayer is that as I focus on commitment, God will mend
    what is broken and replace what is missing in me. I cannot do it – I have to give this to Him.
    M-Jaye

• Cathy Pfeifer-Croken says:

Gratitude — Psalm 7:17

17 I will give to the Lord the thanks due to his righteousness,
    and I will sing praise to the name of the Lord, the Most High.
    [Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)]

• Marilyn says:

My Word for 2014 is Enough. I have everything (enough) and He supplies it all. I am focusing on being content and grateful for what I have been given and work on increasing my personal relationship with Him this year.

I lift up my eyes to the mountains— where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1-2 NIV

• I want to work on my mental, physical, and spiritual health in this new year. I can only make that happen by allowing God to make it happen for me. Sure, I have some work to do to restore my mind, body and heart, but I need to have faith that God will see me through it. So, my One Word for 2014 is FAITHFUL. The year may or may not start out good…maybe a rough patch here or there, but I will be praying minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day, talking to God all along the way, praying for his aid and assistance.

• Im thinking mine has got to be Grace. It seems like this word just keeps popping up in every circumstance in my life. How to give it as well as receive it is a big question I always have.