People often ask me what are the best Bible studies for women, and since I have completed more than 50 online Bible studies in the last few years I do have some favorites. Bible studies vary and will fall into two categories: personal study and topical study. They also vary in length, some studies are six weeks long and others ten weeks long. Below is a list of my 10 favorite Bible studies for women…those studies I would recommend to my Mom, Sister and Girlfriends.

top10biblestudies

1. Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God by Henry and Richard Blackaby (personal study). A modern classic that has sold millions of copies worldwide, Experiencing God is based on seven Scriptural realities that teach us how to develop a true relationship with the Creator. By understanding how God is working through us even as we try to fathom His ways, we can begin to clearly know and do His will and discover our lives greatly and gracefully changed.

2. Breaking Free: The Journey, The Stories by Beth Moore (personal study). This in-depth women’s Bible study draws parallels between the captive Israelites of the Old Testament and New Testament believers in Jesus as the Promised Messiah. Beth looks at the Book of Isaiah through the lives of the kings who ruled during the prophet’s ministry. These kings exemplify many of the obstacles to freedom with which we must deal. Using Scripture to help identify spiritual strongholds in your life, no matter how big or small, Beth explains that anything that hinders us from the benefits of knowing God is bondage.

3. Nehemiah: A Heart Than Can Break by Kelly Minter (topical study). Nehemiah s heart was so broken for those in need that he left the comfort of his Persian palace to help them. Like Kelly s other studies in the Living Room Series, you ll find authentic Bible teaching, recipes, and a relational approach. Nehemiah also includes seven video sessions and real-life ways to put feet to your faith. Are you ready to let God break your heart for a hurting, lost world and move you in compassion to be the hands and feet of Jesus?

4. Esther: It’s Tough Being a Woman by Beth Moore (topical study). Join Beth in a very personal examination of this great story of threat and deliverance as she peels back the layers of history and shows how very contemporary and applicable the story of Esther is to our lives today. If you’ve ever felt inadequate, threatened, or pushed into situations that seemed overpowering, this is the Bible study for you. Just as it was tough being a woman in Esther’s day, it’s tough today. This portion of God’s Word contains treasures to aid us in our hurried, harried, and pressured lives.

5. Ruth: Loss, Love and Legacy by Kelly Minter (topical study). Ruth’s journey of unbearable loss, redeeming love, and divine legacy comes alive in Kelly Minter’s Ruth: Loss, Love and Legacy-the second study in the Living Room Series. This 6-week Bible study delves into the virtuous character of Ruth, her unique relationship with her mother-in-law Naomi, and her blossoming love with Boaz. If you’ve ever felt devastated, struggled as a stranger, longed to be loved, or wept along the way, you’ll find a loyal sister in Ruth. This study includes stories, recipes, a leader guide, interactive Web site extras, and free bonus videos.

6. Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver (personal study). An invitation for every woman who feels she isn’t godly enough…isn’t loving enough…isn’t doing enough The life of a woman today isn’t really all that different from that of Mary and Martha in the New Testament. Like Mary, you long to sit at the Lord’s feet…but the daily demands of a busy world just won’t leave you alone. Like Martha, you love Jesus and really want to serve him…yet you struggle with weariness, resentment, and feelings of inadequacy.

7. True Woman 101: Divine Design by Nancy Leigh DeMoss and Mary Kassian (topical study). What does it mean to be a woman? The current cultural ideal for womanhood encourages women to be strident, sexual, self-centered, independent — and above all — powerful and in control. But sadly, this model of womanhood hasn’t delivered the happiness and fulfillment it promised. The Bible teaches that it’s not up to us to decide what womanhood is all about. God created male and female for a very specific purpose. His design isn’t arbitrary or unimportant. It is very intentional and He wants women to discover, embrace, and delight in the beauty of His design. He’s looking for True Women!

8. Invisible War: What Every Believer Needs to Know About Satan, Demons and Spiritual Warfare by Chip Ingram (topical study). Some Christians believe strongly in the existence of demons and spiritual warfare. Others downplay or even ignore the idea. With such divergent views, how are Christians supposed to know the truth about demonic forces at work in this world? The Invisible War examines what every believer needs to know about Satan, demons, and spiritual warfare, offering a balanced look at this controversial subject. This provocative book will help Christians understand what the Bible says about these threats and will show them how they can safeguard themselves and their families through prayer.

9. Jonah: Navigating a Life Interrupted by Priscilla Shirer (topical study). What do we do when God interrupts our lives? Many times, like Jonah, we run! In this 7-session Bible study, Priscilla redefines interruption and shows that interruption is actually God’s invitation to do something beyond our wildest dreams. When Jonah was willing to allow God to interrupt his life, the result was revival in an entire city.

10. Believing God by Beth Moore (personal study). In-depth women’s Bible study based on Isaiah 43:10 that explores what it means not only ‘to believe in God’ but ‘to believe Him.’ The bride of Jesus Christ in our generation is nearly paralyzed by unbelief. God is calling His bride to a fresh and lavish anointing of faith. Through studying the lives of Abraham, Moses, and others as examples of persons who believed God, Beth encourages women to deepen their own trust in God and receive a fresh word from Him.

11. (bonus) Faith Dare: 30 Days to Life Your Life to the Fullest by Debbie Alsdorf (devotional study). Jesus came to give us abundant life. So why are so many Christian women living with worn-out faith, struggling just to get by? What if there was something more? What if we could be set free from worry, fear, and the constant cycle of searching for significance?
The Faith Dare is a 30-day challenge for women who are tired of ho-hum living and want to break the pattern of self-reliance and people pleasing by putting their trust in God alone and learning to live to please him. This energizing book will change a woman’s focus from her moods and attitudes to living in the power of God’s Word. It will encourage her to take the next step and begin to live out real faith in her real life.

Some of thee studies are so amazing, I have completed them more than once! Breaking Free (four times), Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World (twice), Faith Dare (three times) and Invisible War (twice). I would absolutely study Experiencing God a few more times!

faithdarebookcoiledge

Here’s TIP… I like to put a coil edge on my workbooks before I begin the study. I take the book to a local printing shop, they cut off the book edge and replace it with a spiral edge so its easier to write in my workbook.

Here’s another TIP… “Topical Bible study is the study of the topical teachings in the Bible. You may limit the topic to a single book, such as a study of the teaching in the Book of James about the use of the tongue. You may also trace the topic throughout Scripture, such as a study of the miracles in the Bible. The topic can be narrow, such as prophecies about Jesus’ birth, or it can be broad and lengthy, such as prophecies in the Bible.” (via BH Publishing)  A personal study is more “me-focused,”sometimes emotional and is a subcategory of topical studies. An example would be James  by Beth Moore as topical and Breaking Free as personal in nature.

Last TIP… rotate your studies with different authors. While Beth Moore, Kay Arthur and Proverb 31 have excellent studies, if you only focus on a specific author then you may be tempted to focus on the author instead of the Bible. Balance the different approaches to scripture.

Do you have some favorite Bible studies? If so, please post a comment below and tell me what you like most!

• Barb says:

I am looking for an old woman’s bible study guide which may be called The Christain Woman. Can you tell me how I might find it?

I have been a Christian for 33 years. I retired 3 years ago. I am having a bit of a wobble about my faith at the moment. As I am aging I am questioning more the reality of God and what is happening in the world today. Can you recommend a bible study or book that can help me? I have new born grandchildren that I cannot imagine leaving or the thought of what their future will be. I guess I am scared of what’s ahead.

• Laura Parmentier says:

“Drawing Near” by John Bevere
    This is based on the Bible verse James 4:8 “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.”

Also, “The Bondage Breaker” by Neil Anderson is also a very awesome for a Bible study too!

• Nancy Noaz says:

Nancy Guthrie series, Seeing Jesus in the Old Testament is excellent! (The Promised One, The Lamb of God, The Son of David, the Wisdom of God, and the Word of the Lord), are each 10 week Bible studies. A small group meets at my house weekly; some young Christians, others seekers. All do the homework and we have great discussions. ( Meaty chapters, served with tea and crackers, cheese, fruit, sometimes pastries.) But we are all learning and Seeing Jesus in the Old Testament! Sad to see the series end and am looking for new material. Thank you for your choices/ recommendations and the posts of others.

• Suzanne says:

I have led several Bible studies at our church including five of the ones listed above and find that I am most comfortable with those that have study guides. DVD’s are also a plus. It might be helpful if you include that info in your list of favorites.

• Suzanne says:

Please add to my comment above: We just today finished Beth Moore’s “Living Beyond Yourself.” I love her studies but our entire group agreed this one, focusing on the fruit of the Spirit, was exceptional!

• Carol says:

One of the best studies our group has ever done, and I highly recommend, is James MacDonald’s “Lord Change My Attitude”. Life changing!

• Priscilla says:

Gideon by Priscilla Shirer Wow! Ouch! Who knew?

• Daphne Manning says:

Wonder Struck is by Margaret Feinberg.

• Daphne Manning says:

We have recently done two excellent studies: To Live Is Christ, a study on Philippians by Nancy McGuirk and Wonder Struck by !
    Margaret Feinstein.

• Rhonda says:

Warren Wiersbe!

• Heather says:

If I remember correctly you said in your post that you brought your books to get them rebound with a spiral binding. Where do you bring them? I would like to do this for my school textbooks so I can easily take notes in them!

• Yesenia says:

I would love to add to this list.The Nancy Guthrie studies “Seeing Jesus in the Old Testament” series is excellent. It helps to ground women in God’s Word and help us see the overall story of redemption throughout the Old Testament. Very stretching.

• To Live is Christ is a wonderful study by Nancy McGuirk.
      To Live is Christ is an 8-week, verse-by-verse bible study on the book of Philippians. The Apostle Paul’s letter to the Philippians has been the foundation for a life of contentment and joy to all who have embraced its message over the generations. Paul’s secret of contentment is found in his well-known words “to live Is Christ”. In this way he reveals how to rise above the circumstances of life, experience joy amidst adversity and live with Christ at the center of your lives.

• Lyn says:

This is a great thread of recommendations! I didn’t see my earlier comment here, so I’ll comment again.

I always have my books coil bound as well – it is definitely worth the nominal cost.

I highly recommend the studies by Anne Graham Lotz and have led “the Vision ofHis Glory” mad “MagnificentObsession.” Both are excellent! Priscilla Shirer’s study, “hearing the voice of God” is also excellent.

Blessings to you today!

• Sandee says:

Idol Lies by Dee Brestin

• Sherrill Shimek says:

I like the Bible Studies authored by Margaret Feinberg. Her biblical knowledge is extraordinary, she relates well to a variety of women; and the studies are fun as well as transforming. Wonderstruck is my favorite. her daily blogs are excellent also. Please check her studies atmargaretfeinberg.com

• laurals13 says:

A plug for online studies too…Proverbs 31 ministries has Bible based book studies with lots of ways to participate. Precept now has online studies, including my favorites by Pam Gillaspie. And there are three online studies I think you can still purchase on Lifeway (Experiencing God, Living Beyond Yourself and Believing God). These are my go-to studies for women who want to do something from home plus church, or for women with chronic illness who are struggling to get out to a study. I just recently found Bible Cafe, and have added it to my list.
    We are more than blessed with resources arent we?!

• I’ve taken SO MANY through the years. Right now Jennifer Kennedy Dean’s “Live a Praying Life” has got to be right up there at the TOP! What a life altering approach to what God says about prayer! Before now, I think Beth Moore’s “Inheritance” probably changed my life more than anything…..so deep and thought provoking for such a small study.

• chris blair says:

40 days in the word Rick Warren is good also its on video and talks about analyzing Scripture. Its from Saddleback. I have to add James by Beth Moore also.

• Mitzi says:

Thank you for the tips and study suggestions. Every group leader should read this post. Love WBC!

• Sandra says:

Liz Curtis Higgs does so many nice studies. Our study group does a “heavy homework” study in the Fall, and a “light homework” study in the Spring. Liz’s study of Ruth is great, and her Bad Girls series is excellent.

• onyxmarie says:

Thanks Christine. Blessings.

• Pam DeWitt says:

Victory Over The Darkness by Neil T. Anderson

• Thank you and couldn’t agree more on the Experiencing God study! You can also go to your local Office Store that does printing, all the major ones do. And it usually costs less than $5.00. Be blessed sisters!

• This is my most favorite study of all times … and like you … I’ve done a few.
    Disciples Prayer Life Study Book Paperback – January 1, 2001
    by T. W. Hunt & Catherine Walker

• Kelly says:

Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer was very powerful for our ladies. Several years later, it is still impacting lives and I find myself giving counsel to others using the foundational principles found there. We also enjoyed “What Happens When Women Say Yes to God” by Lysa TerKeurst.

• Judi says:

P.S. I LOVE putting the spiral binding on my workbooks as well – it makes it much easier

• I credit my Bible study friends for teaching me that…and its awesome. The only thing I dont like is that when the spiral books are on my self I cannot read the names of the books. However the convenience of writing in the book is a huge payoff!

• Judi says:

Thank you for sharing your list – it is always wonderful to hear new ideas. I have been enjoying a variety of Bible studies since I started in June 2009 with my first ever being Esther which I LOVED!!! From there we began a weekly Bible study where I am blessed to be the facilitator with a group of wonderful Christian women (We named ourselves “Women Journeying Through The Bible” . . .

Esther: It’s Tough Being a Woman (Beth Moore)
    The Patriarchs: Encountering the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob (Beth Moore)
    Breaking Free: Making Liberty in Christ a Reality (Beth Moore)
    Lord Teach Me to Pray (Kay Arthur)
    Daniel: Lives of Integrity, Words of Prophecy (Beth Moore)
    John Wesley … Holiness of Heart & Life
    Here and Now, There and Then (Beth Moore)
    One in a Million: Journey to Your Promised Land (Priscilla Shirer)
    A Woman’s Heart: God’s Dwelling Place (Beth Moore)
    The Sacred Echo (Margaret Feinberg)
    50 Days of Heaven (Randy Alcorn)
    Living Beyond Yourself (Beth Moore)
    Jesus The One and Only (Beth Moore)
    James: Mercy Triumphs (Beth Moore)
    Purpose Driven Life (Rick Warren)
    Knowing God (Kimberly Dunnam Reisman)
    To Live Is Christ (Beth Moore)
    The Law of Love (Beth Moore)
    Not A Fan (Kyle Idleman)
    Gideon: Your Weakness. God’s Strength (Priscilla Shirer)
    Read The Bible For Life (George Guthrie)

Be blessed as you bless others . . . Judi

• Wow Judi…this is such a blessing to me! Thank you for the list and suggestions, I will add them to my list of future studies. I appreciate that you took the time to write these out and share them with our readers.

• Karen Pycraft says:

Our Covenant God by Kay Arthur. Every believer should do this study! Excellent!

• Anna says:

Crazy Love by Max Lucado

• BJ says:

I have so many that I have done and have so many I wish to do yet. I love the First Place 4 Health Bible Studies. And “When Women say Yes to God.” is the one I just finish and I learn so much about myself. I do the same thing with the putting a coil on my books, make studing and writing easier.

• Marie Solla says:

I also loved Nehemiah and True Woman 101.