What an amazing week of online Bible study! We’ve just finished reading week five of the Gideon Bible study written by Priscilla Shirer. We saw a major turn of events as our Biblical hero goes from a God-centered life back into a self-centered life. Yes…BACK into his self interests. Equipped by God to overcome his own insecurity, Gideon the hero becomes Gideon the disrespected in a very short time. His demise was listening to the flesh rather than listening to the Lord. Has this ever happened to you?
It’s easy to be deceived by the enemy of lies. When we stop seeking wisdom from God through prayer, Bible study and fellowship…we open the door to spiritual warfare. Today in my local Bible study our leader suggested memorizing Galatians 5:19-21 NIV so we recognize the works of the flesh inside us.
19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
I wonder if Gideon would have experienced a different outcome if he knew and prayed these things! What about you? Do you recognize that when you are acting in anger, discord, or jealousy…you are acting against the Fruit of the Spirit. Perhaps each of us is a bit like Gideon in someway or at sometime in our lives. When God uses our weakness for His strength….we need to stay in relationship with Him so that strength is not misused by the flesh. For Gideon, insecurity became courage and then courage became sin. Make sure you don’t cross the line with the gifts the Lord give to you. A wise woman knows when to yield to the Spirit and capture all thoughts through a Christ-centered heart.
I hope you’ll be joining the small groups this week to discuss week five. Did you know that next week is our last week of the Gideon online Bible study? This study has really gone by fast! We already have women around the world registered for the Faith Dare study led by Debbie Alsdorf, so if you are participating make sure you register and get your book. We start the next study July 29, 2013.
Our Prayer Wall has many requests, so please take a minute and pray for these women. Post your own prayers and lift one another up with your words.
For Next Week
- Read Week Six in the workbook
- Listen to Audio Session six and seven or Video Session six and seven at Lifeway.com (optional due to cost)
- Register for the Faith Dare study when you click here
Group Discussion- Answer here or with your small group
- On page 123 in the workbook you listed three difficult situations you are facing right now. Then you listed your natural weapon of response and your spiritual weapon. Without naming the difficult experience, name the natural weapons you listed in your chart.
- Okay, now share the spiritual weapons…again…do not share the difficult situation. The reason we are doing it this way is that the weapons are clues to the situation!
- What “logic” does the enemy typically use against you to disguise the spiritual nature of your struggles and to mask his role in them? (page 124)
- Are you ever inclined to pacify your insecurity instead of staying inside the boundaries set up by God? If so, what are some of the ways you have done this? (page 128)
- How do you feel most fatigued in your life right now? Spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically or other. Explain your choice. (page 136)
- How is your relationship with God affected when you feel week and uncertain about yourself and a task? How does the way Jesus responded in prayer and solitude (Mark 1:35-38) help to keep you on track?