We’re still reading Gideon by Priscilla Shirer and just finished our third week of womens Bible study. I found this lesson so uplifting, I have to confess that several times in my workbook I wrote the words “Yes!, Whaoo! and Wow!” Did you find this week’s lessons equally exciting? The entire week is based on my One Word for 2013: Simplicity.
We learned the simplicity of turning a small portion of bread and fish into food for thousands. We saw how five small stones in the hands of David brought down his Goliath. We read the testimony of Gideon as he battled his army and his fears not by his own strength, but by the strength of God. Wow!
I’d love to sit beside you in small group and see what you wrote for humility and pride on page 76 in your Gideon workbook. In my own workbook I wrote down two strategies I can use to maintain humility: 1) keep memorizing scripture and Truth, and 2) continue to praise and thank God with gratitude for His many gifts. What did you write down?
We also learned this week about fighting fear and staying alert as members of God’s army here on earth. What does this mean to you personally? How will you apply the concept to your own battles in life. Do you seek strength from the Holy Spirit, or are you depending on self to carry you through? Pray and ask for more discernment about this as you finish the remainder of this week. Look for ways that your feelings might not be in alignment with God’s Truth, and celebrate those that are inside His will. Finally, seek opportunities to apply this great wisdom from Priscilla Shirer “The secret is not in obtaining but in releasing.” Who or what do you need to release in order to be inside the will of God? What is God calling you to fast from?
Move with the Spirit, in the same direction. Walk closely with Him across the narrow path. He will lead you across the high road and not cause you to stumble…if you allow Him room beside you.
Our Prayer Wall has many requests, so please take a minute and pray for these women. Post your own prayers and lift one another up with your words.
For Next Week
- Read Week Four in the workbook
- Listen to Audio Session four or Video Session four at Lifeway.com (optional due to cost)
Group Discussion- Answer here or with your small group
- What would redirecting your focus look like in practical terms? Discuss some strategic things believers can do to redirect their attention off themselves and onto the Lord. (Page 73)
- What practical strategies can you put in place to foster humility? (page 76)
- Without getting in to details, Has pride gotten in your way?
- Has your confidence in your ability and in God been enhanced as you’ve moved forward with less? How (page 80)?
- What is your normal response when faced with letting go?
- If you had to pinpoint something that most often distracts you from remembering and using your unseen supply, what would it be? (Page 91)