Gideon Online Bible Study Week 2

By June 24, 2013Gideon

Welcome back to online Bible study at the Womens Bible Cafe! We’re reading Gideon by Priscilla Shirer and just finished our second week of study. By now you should have your workbook and be connected with a small group. We’ve seen many familiar faces and many new faces in the small group chatroom…what a blessing to spend our summer with you as we expand our knowledge on Gideon. During our first week of this topical study we learned the about Cycle of Redemption and the historical timeline of events leading to rebellion and discipline.

angel

This week Gideon encounters an angel..pause and think about that! Can you imagine an encounter with an angel! Priscilla Shirer writes “Having your spiritual radar up in constant anticipation of His presence- even in the midst of the joyful chaos and regular rhythms of your everyday living- is paramount in hearing God, because sometimes the place and manner you find Him is the least spectacular you’d expect.” As believers, we need this holy expectation of a divine encounter. Never assume you will only have an encounter in church on Sunday morning or during your devotional time. Always be ready to receive Him. Priscilla writes “To be aware of God’s purpose you must be aware of His presence.”

What would happen if YOU turned your ordinary tasks into spiritual lessons and awareness of God’s favor? One woman who has mastered this is known as the FlyLady… she takes the task of cleaning a home and turns it into a “weekly home blessing” complete with candles and praise music. If you want to take your ordinary tasks to a whole new experience…check out her website at www.FlyLady.net

Priscilla reminded us this week that “the ordinary is often the disguise of the divine,” and invites us to become aware of divine opportunities to serve God.  I hope you wrote some of the scripture verses on index cards this week…and you will memorize them to prepare for your assignment from God. May you be bold for Jesus….accept His calling and radiate His love.

Our Prayer Wall has many requests, so please take a minute and pray for these women. Post your own prayers and lift one another up with your words.

• Read Week Three in the workbook
  • Watch the Beth Moore video on her website when you click here
  • Listen to Audio Session Three or Video Session Three at Lifeway.com (optional due to cost)

Group Discussion- Answer here or with your small group (some based on Beth Moore’s questions)

1.  Based on the question in the middle of p.37 of your homework: To what specific area of holy bravery does God seem to be calling you in this present season?
  2. What expectations do you think Believers have about how God reveals Himself? How do you think these expectations have been formed? (page 42)
  3. Drawn from the portion on p.46 regarding the 5 ordinary tasks you perform on a daily basis, share a memory of an ordinary circumstance in which God met with you in an extraordinary way. If you’re new to all this and can’t think what to share, don’t feel lame or unspiritual. Pray for Him to do this very thing with you over the coming days and I have a feeling you won’t be disappointed.
  4. Based on p.50 and the discussion about the first part of the divine declaration to Gideon, how confident or insecure do you tend to be regarding God’s promise that He is with you? Explain your answer.
  5. Why do you think it is critical for believers to understand their identity before moving forward to their destiny? How can an incorrect or malformed spiritual identity hamper someone’s spiritual success? (page 57)
  6. Look at the bottom of p.57. Would you be willing to share the pair of terms that best describe a disparity you’ve dealt with between your self-perception and a biblical view of who you are in Christ? If you’re willing, also briefly explain your answer.

• Rachelle says:

1. Holy bravery: To be content where I am planted, to do the mundane dailyness of life with a more contented and grateful spirit. For me it will take supernatural courage to do this, rather than to do what others expect/want me to do. This is walking “against this current” in our present culture.
    2. Believers expectations about how God reveals Himself: We expect BIG, we expect unusual, we expect to be knocked over or knocked down. I am not sure where this comes from, perhaps it is just a fleshly diversion.??
    3. Meeting God in the ordinary: I thinks He meets me here (in the ordinary) most often. He has reminded me often (thankfully He is patient) as I clean and do daily household tasks that He has given me four people to nurture and care for. The “extraordinary” is that I really do have be reminded of this frequently.
    4. God’s promise that He is with me: Often, I am insecure in that promise even though He has proven over and over again that He is with me. His Word is my anchor and my security when I cannot see or feel. In that I can be confident.
    5. Understanding identity critical to moving forward to destiny: It certainly helps to understand your identity in Christ–loved, sealed, adopted, etc..
    6. Disparity: Fearful/Courageous I tend to be fearful, yet if God has given me a truth, He has enabled me on an occasion or two to speak up.

• ALYSON M. D. says:

QUESTION ~1~
    THE YOUTH LEADERSHIP POSITION OUR PASTOR HAS ASSIGNED TO ME, INSPITE OF, THE OPPOSITION OF CERTAIN PIONEER MEMBERS THAT WANT TO DO THINGS AS THEY USUALLY HAVE DONE THEM; WITHOUT EVEN CONSIDERING THAT MY GIFTS ARE NOT THEIR GIFTS; & THEIR GIFTS ARE NOT MINE, IS THE AREA & ATMOSPHERE WHERE God SEEMS TO BE CALLING ME TO TRIUMPHANTLY OVERCOME THE DISPLAY OF OPPRESSIVE BEHAVIOR OF PEOPLE PLEASING & NOT God PLEASING. WITHIN THIS SEASON OF MY MINISTRY & LEADERSHIP GIFTS, I FEEL AS IF I SHOULD BE ABLE TO WORK IN God’s WILL & IN His WAY WITHOUT DOUBTING THE UNITY OF THE Holy Spirit IN THE BOND OF PEACE, AMONG THE MINISTERIAL LEADERSHIP WITHIN OUR CHURCH. I BELIEVE, TO PLACE A TITLE ON AN ASSIGNED POSITION; BUT, PERSISTINGLY, FORCE A DIRECTION OF EVERY STEP MADE WITHIN IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING & CAUSES ME TO APPEAR TO BE SPINNING MY WHEELS & GOINIG NO WHERE!
    SO, I FEEL THIS MATTER TO BE A SPECIFIC AREA IN WHICH God IS CALLING ME TO EITHER OBTAIN Holy BRAVEERY TO SHAKE THE DUST OFF OF MY FEET & MOVE ON TO WHERE MY YOUTH MINISTRY, CALLED BY God & FOREVER SUSTAINED BY God, IN Spirit & IN Truth; WILL BE ETERNALLY EFFECTIVE FROM GENERATION TO GENERATION ~OR~ HAVE Holy BREAVERY TO CONTINUE ON WHERE I AM & CONTINUE ALLOWING RATIONALIZATION TO CAUSE ME TO STAND STILL, WAIT ON THE Lord TO MAKE IT TRANSPARENT, & CONSTANTLY REMIND MYSELF THAT “THIS TOO SHALL PASS.”

QUESTION ~2~
    DRIVING HOME ONE EVENING FROM A RELATIVE’S HOME, I WATCHED A SERIES OF LIGHTENING STRIKES IN THE SKY THE ENTIRE DRIVE HOME. NO THUNDER, NO RAIN, NO STORM; ONLY LIGHTENING! I BELIVE IT TO BE A DISPLAY FROM God THAT WAS LEADING ME TO SEE THAT I WAS HEADED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION & He WOLUD BE THERE ALIVE, ACTIVE, & DECLARING My PATH GUARDED & GUIDED. ~ I WAS SO CONFUSED ABOUT SO MANY THINGS YHAT WERE BEING IMPROPERLY TAUGHT TO ME CONCERNING MINISTRY & WALKING IN MY CALLING DURING THAT SEASON. I WAS EXTREEMELY UNHAPPPY & BEING TESTED ON EVERY ASPECT OF RIGHTEOUS LIVING, LIVING Holy, & SEPERATING THE world FROM MY MINID; BODY; & SOUL. ~ AS SOON AS I HAD PARKED MY CAR & TAKEN MY KIDS IN THE HOUSE TO PREPARE FOR BED; I LOOKED OUT OF THE WINDOW FOR NEARLY HALF AN HOUR; WATCHING FOR WHAT EVER MAY HAVE HAPPENED NEXT. AMAZINGLY, IT WAS DONE. NO MORE LIGHTENING, NEVER RAINED AT ALL THAT PARTICULAR NIGHT. ~ SO VERY CONCERNED ABOUT THE AMAZEMENT; I PRAYED, MEDITATED ON God”s Holy Word, & OBTAINED EXTRAORDINARY STRENGTH WITHIN MY FAITH; ASSURED & BLESSED WITH SECURITY & BELIEF THAT God IS & ALWAYS WILL BE TOTALLY IN CONTROL OF MY LIFE. ~ I MUST ONLY ALLOW His PRESENCE TO BE DECERNING TO My HEART @ EACH & EVERY CROSSROAD THAT CAUSES DISTRACTION & CONFUSSION OF THE RIGHT PATH TO TAKE.

I WILL ALWAYS LOOK TO God’s GREAT Grace & THE EVER ENDURING MERCY OF Christ Jesus TO BE PRESENT & ACTIVELY LEADING ME TO WHERE MY Holy TRINITY {TRIUNITY} IS GUIDING ME WITHIN EVERY ASPECT OF MY ACTIVITIES OF DAILY LIVING THROUGH THE Power OF The Holy Spirit; ABIDING DEEP WITHIN ME; NURTURED BY FEASTING, MEDITATING, & PRAYING ON His Holy Word.

~MUCH THANKS~ TO ~ MARY MARY FOR YOUR BLESSED & HIGHLY ANOINTED SONG THAT STATES, “You TOOK EVERYTHING I WAS & MADE ME WHO I AM; & WITH ALL I AM, I WORSHIP You!.” ~ “I COMMAND MY SOUL,” ~ “I WORSHIP You!” ~ “MY Heavenly Father, You’re MY PROVIDER, You’re MY PROTECTOR You’re MY PRESENT HELP!”
    “I WORSHIP You!!!” ~ Amen.
    {THESE QUOTES ARE PULLED FROM THE SONG IN DISTINCTION OF AFFECT & MAY NOT BE THE EXACT ORDER IN WHICH THEY ARE WRITTEN & SUNG WITHIN THE ORIGINAL VERSION OF THE ARTISTS.}

• Michelle T says:

1. Right now, i feel that God is calling me to holy bravery with other Christians. I am mostly surrounded by others who are Christians in my daily life. However, I think it is easy to become complacent with our faith, callous with our words, and lose sight of what God calls us to do each day.
    2.I think that Christians mostly think of God in grandiose events rather in the common. We forget how He reveals himself constantly. These events have been formed by media and the tendency to forget that God reveals himself in the ordinary.
    3.Ordinary events- One time I misplaced an important paper and thought I would never find it. I prayed about it and found it! Sadly, misplacing papers happens quite often, but I am trying to fix this!
    4. I tend to fluctuate with this promise. I know He is with me, but when something bad happens, I seem to question.
    5.An incorrect spiritual identity means that the Christian will not be fulfilling God’s calling in the way He desires. This question made me think about my own spiritual identity.
    6.I struggle with my competency at times, especially as a mother. I am a full- time teacher and have 3 kids. When I am home in the summer, I see all the work I have neglected over the school year– home tasks, taking care of kid needs-. When I go back to school in August, I doubt my ability to manage all of it effectively.

• Carolyn Wall says:

5. Its important to know that our Identity is in Jesus because we lost that connection in the Garden BUT He has restored Wholeness and all things back to us thru the Cross and dying for us, and the Ressurection Power, we are secure in Him forever and ever, NOTHING can ever take that away, and if we don’t understand that, Flesh and satan can lie to us, BUT the Holy Spirit is always there to help, and get us back on track, run back to Him when you get off track He is the solid Foundation, that will never fail!! He is our stronghold, and strong Tower!

• I love that quote: “the ordinary is often the disguise of the divine” and I appreciate the reminder that everything we do can be a divine opportunity.

• Carolyn Wall says:

2. I think lots of times people don’t believe God WILL reveal Himself, when in growing in Him I’ve found quite the opposite, He can’t wait to reveal Himself, He created relationship, because of the Fall in the Garden everything was screwed up, BUT Jesus came and changed all that when I didn’t know what the answer was to move my Mom when we found out she had cancer, I was a mess, and He “journaled to my heart “Carolyn, I will work out all the details of Lois’s life”., He did He took her to Heaven He healed her of her cancer and gave her her own desire to see my Dad again and all the family,He picked up and did what He knew He would always do at the end of my Mom’s life, He took his child Lois Home, He finally gets to spend time with her.He reassured me also, and gave me supernatural adrenilin to spend the last days with her, my sister Linda and I took her to all the places she wanted, Chinese Food, took her to a local resort near me, etc., then after she graduated Linda and I gave certain special articles of hers to different friends and residents she lived with or knew. My expectations of God were formed by watching examples of relationships with God in front of me, parents, but also I always felt there was more, and getting to know the Holy Spirit was a great change and Blessing He brought Wholeness, leading me to Vineyard Church of Columbus where I’ve gotten to know Him even more with more balanced faith, His thoughts are NOT our thoughts or His ways our ways, thank Him for that!!

• Debbie Williams says:

the pair of terms that best describe what I have dealt with who I am in Christ: Fearful-Courageous. I know that no matter what my circumstances which I am still dealing with after
    20 years. I will stand be Strong by praying and keeping close to Jesus & reading the word.
    I have lost the Fear doesn’t mean it won’t come back but I do know all I have to do is reach
    to Jesus(God)and know he is with me thru it all. remembering verses Matthew 16:23 James 4:7 Ephesians 6:10

• Debbie Williams says:

Believers understanding their identity before moving forward into their destiny: God will give us Strength or whatever we need to defeat our enemies 11 corinthians 12:9 Deuteronomy 31:6 Spiritual Warfare Ephesians 6:10 James 4:7 Ephesians 6:16 When we believe we can
    be warriors nothing can stop us God is on our side Romans 8:38 Victory is Gods! He uses us
    prepares us for anything we face. Matthew 16:23

• Debbie Williams says:

I am confident and have Faith that God is with me everyday! It all started 20 years ago and of course has taken me many many years to have Faith,trust and believe God is working in my life. Jeremiah 29:11 my husband just recently finally admitted he knew what I have been
    going thru we were talking about our daughterinlaw and all the neg. problems one thing after another when this finally came out about my life & having God in my life which took many many years of fear which I have given to God and grown cause I gave it all to God(Jesus)
    the only way to go with any trial you have in your life. It has made me strong and others including family have commented on how strong I am & I of course tell them its not me its
    God working in my life. the Glory goes to God MY Testimony. Just recently told our Daughter
    about my Testimony which she already knows what happened 20 years ago the beginning
    of my journey with God just in the last few years. I am Strong because of God no other way!
    It was Pray Trust & then Faith after drinking and living in Fear constantly.

• debbie williams says:

God speaking to me while doing my everyday stuff- it happens when I am on the treadmill
    when I do my prayers or listening to Z88.3 a blessing to all who listens to this radio station.
    A song came on Forgiveness back during the holidays last year! I just cried and then thanked God because at this time our son decided not to talk to my husband which we have
    a close relationship with our son didn’t want us to have anything to do with our daughter
    which she to this day doesn’t know . When I heard this song Forgiveness by Matthew West I right away looked up Youtube and sent this video song to our daughterinlaw and she had our song watch it! it still took God working thru our son’s life about another 2 months before he came around. I did praise God for this moment in my life which made a difference in all our lives.

• Debbie Williams says:

God revealing himself to us: can happen in little ways a bird stops by on a fence when we are down & need uplifting! a family member calls us or emails us just when we need our spirits
    uplifted! God is intimeontimeeverytime! Exodus 15:2 sing for joy to God be our strength!
    my sister loves tweety bird & its funny everytime I see one I am reminded to call her or just say a prayer for her. My Sister reminded me of this please call her once in awhile with our busy schedule I make sure I do .God showed me a tweety bird that was in the back of a car window when we stopped for groceries I just laughed outloud knowing this is God reminding
    me Think of my Sister! God is sooo amazing awesome !

• Debbie Williams says:

holy bravery- God is showing me & my family since holiday time-his plans for me miracles
    that have happened son finally talking to my husband(nobody thought this would happen) I of course just prayed & prayed knowing God’s timing is always perfect God does have a plan for all our lives. one of my sayings are Dare to Be Different Be the Change! My journey started 20 years ago and God is now showing me after trusting reading the bible and walking
    with Jesus he is giving me more opportunites to show my family & the world the change I can make with God be the Glory in my life & others.philippians 4:13

• I haven’t been connected with a small group yet, shall I just go on as a solo member? That’s fine withme, just wanted to know!
    Blessings, Melody

Share a comment with our readers!