Welcome to Summer bible study as we begin reading Gideon, Your Weakness God’s Strength by Priscilla Shirer. In this 6-week womens online bible study, you’ll discover one man’s struggle with his own weakness and the One True God who transformed it into triumph. You’ll also learn personal reflections applicable to your own experience and life. It’s not too late to sign-up and join us in the Gideon study, just click here.
Each week there are five daily lessons in the Gideon Bible study, so you will read one per day for five days of the week. As you read your Bible study, for six weeks you’ll put God first in your life. Your focus will be on Him at the start of your day. It’s interesting when we read in the morning, we’re often reminded of our lesson throughout our busy day. A verse or a phrase will simmer in your mind and then refreshes itself sometime in the day. For me, this is one of the greatest benefits of Bible study and why I desire to share it with you as I lead the study. Some of you may prefer to read in the evenings or on your lunch hour…the important thing is to get started and create a routine.
Create a daily appointment with God, and don’t let anything pull you away from intimacy with Him. A good plan is to read each morning Monday through Friday, allowing the weekend to make up any lesson you missed during the week. Keep your study time simple and free from distractions. You may find that keeping everything you need in one place will help you stay motivated. I have a basket with my Bible, workbook, journal, pens, highlighters, reading glasses and post it notes. If you are new to Bible study and don’t own a Bible yet, then use one of the many online versions at FREE sites such as BibleGateway.com or YouVersion.com or you may want to read this article~ How to Shop for a Bible
You are invited to participate in small group discussion via Facebook, or here at the website. To participate in a discussion here on the website, you will answer the questions below by posting a comment. The first week our small groups will have introduction sessions, where you’ll meet your leader and co-leader, as well as the other women in your group. We’ll explain how the small groups function and help you get started in online Bible study.
VERY IMPORTANT:Please note that the first week of study, the small groups are quite populated! Many women will visit the groups to “see what it’s about” and might visit more than one group during the week. The timeline will move VERY FAST during the first week and might challenge you or frustrate you. This only happens the first week….then the small groups adjust in size and the conversation is easier to follow. During the first small group meetings, you might need to refresh your computer screen F5 to keep up. You can always go back later and re-read the timeline for your small group or jot down the prayer requests. Mobile devices are not recommended, please use a computer to access the small groups if possible.
Our Prayer Wall is the place to reach out with your prayer needs and praise reports. Please visit the page and pray for those people who are asking you to lift them up in prayer. Pray for the leaders of this study and the women in your small group.
Assignment For The Week
- Write a letter to God on the inside cover of your workbook. Put today’s date inside your book and tell Him where you are in your life right now, and where you hope He leads you during this study.
- Pray before you begin reading. Ask the Holy Spirit to open your heart to wisdom.
- Begin reading Week One in your workbook
- If you are watching the Priscilla Shirer videos, watch Session One, available through Lifeway (not required for participation in the study). To download the videos click here. If you are not watching the videos, the answers to the video sessions are in the back you your workbook on page 189
- To join a Facebook small group- click here.
Discussion Questions- Answer in your small group or post a comment below (the questions are from Beth Moore’s blog)
- A fun one: What title to a popular song – from any decade you wish – best captures you right now? (It can be serious or ridiculous.)
- Write one sentence describing something about your present season – your right-here-and-now – that makes it unique. Life changes constantly. What is distinct about this particular season?
- In one sentence, what is one thing you wish your sisters in Christ would know about you sooner that often doesn’t come out in your relationships till later? Complete this sentence: “I wish my sisters in Christ knew that I…”
- Optional: Watch the devotional video from Beth Moore. Make a one-sentence comment regarding anything in the video devotional that resonated with you.