Join us in online Bible study for women as we study Wonderstruck by Margaret Feinberg. This week we’re discussing week four in our small group sessions. We explored the wonder of prayer and then looked at many examples of when Jesus prayed. Margaret writes “Prayer is simply communicating with God. Through prayer we both listen and talk to God.” We saw how Jesus prayed alone, prayed for someone, or prayed in public. He did not wear specific prayer attire, perform rituals, or even go to the same location each time He prayed. Sometimes we can complicate these rituals in our hearts and our drive for perfection or rituals might cause a stumble in our prayer life. Prayer is simple.
In the book The Power of Simple Prayer, Joyce Meyer writes “Prayer is so simple; it’s nothing more than talking to God.” When is the last time you talked with the Father? The key to prayer is constant communication and trust, not the posture or words. In fact, the Holy Spirit will intercede on your behalf…your role is to simply get started! For some of you, this might be the point in Bible study where you need to say “Lord, teach me to pray.”
According to Joyce Meyer there are 14 Hindrances to Answered Prayer:
- Lack of boldness
- Unconfessed sin
- Praying outside Gods will
- Praying with the wrong motives
- Doubt and unbelief
- Lack of gratitude
- Negative confession
- Failure to focus
- Not caring for people in need
Source: The Power of Simple Prayer by Joyce Meyer
This might be the week where you start a prayer journal. In one of my small groups someone mentioned that she has been waiting and waiting for God to answer a prayer, so I reminded her that Nehemiah prayed 90 days before God answered him. Another women mentioned that God answered her prayer, and she didn’t like His reply. We are not promised a quick answer or even an answer that we like. As long as we are in relationship with God, He listens to our prayers.
I’d like for us to lead a Bible study on prayer because this is one area that many women would like to dig deeper. Hopefully we can fit this into our schedule of studies sometime soon. Let’s pray on that! Meanwhile, you’ll find a list of books on prayer when you click here.
Our Prayer Wall has many requests, so please visit the page during the week and pray for these women who are asking for your help. If you have a prayer request, post a comment on the wall.
For Next Week
- Read Week Five in your book.
- Listen to Video Session Five (optional due to cost)
- Check in with your Small Group for prayer requests and fellowship
Group Discussion- Answer below or with your small group
- What helps you keep a steady rhythm in your prayer life? (page 87)
- When have you felt abandoned by God? How did you respond? (page 101)
- What is one obstacle in your life that you need to commit to God’s hands through prayer? (page 102)
- What are three reasons you’re tempted to give up prayer? (page 104)
- What is one area of your life or person that you’ve given up praying for? (page 105)