Welcome to another week of online Bible study for women as we study Wonderstruck by Margaret Feinberg. This week we discovered the wonder of rest, as we looked at resting from a Biblical perspective. Were you convicted to make some changes in your schedule this week? Margaret reminds us that resting on the Sabbath is not a suggestion, its actually a commandment and one we most often neglect.
I looked at the NIV Bible translation this week and there are more than 500+ scripture references with the word “rest.” Then I looked at the Strongs Concordance #1515 and saw that eiréné is the Greek word meaning “peace, peace of mind; invocation of peace a common Jewish farewell, in the Hebraistic sense of the health (welfare) of an individual.” So it appears “rest” is good for your health! Digging deeper, in Strongs Concordance #5117 the Hebrew word nûach means “settle down, to dwell, stay, let fall, place, let alone, withdraw, give comfort.” Looking at the Greek and Hebrew meaning, ARE you taking time to find peace of mind, settle down, withdraw and improve your health?
Margaret Feinberg suggests adding reflection and relaxation time into your schedule. She writes “The pause awakens us to God…when I’m physically tired, weary or stressed, I’m less likely to live with an awareness of the Holy Spirit.” Then she gave us two helpful tools for resting- the art of saying “no” and the activities list we created on page 73 in the workbook.
Ladies, it’s imperative that we create that quiet place in our lives where we sit and reflect. In small groups this week we’ve been discussing what prevents us from finding the quiet place. There is simplicity in resting…my prayer is that sometime this week you’ll find that quiet place to be!
I’m asking God for one thing,
only one thing:
To live with him in his house
my whole life long.
I’ll contemplate his beauty;
I’ll study at his feet.
5 That’s the only quiet, secure place
in a noisy world,
The perfect getaway,
far from the buzz of traffic. Psalm 27:3-5 Message Version
That quiet place is in your heart…where Christ dwells. Seek Him!
Our Prayer Wall has many requests, so please visit the page during the week and pray for these women who are asking for your help. If you have a prayer request, post a comment on the wall.
For Next Week
- Read Week Four in your book.
- Listen to Video Session Four (optional due to cost)
- Check in with your Small Group for prayer requests and fellowship
Group Discussion- Answer here or with your small group
- What challenge do you have in slowing down and resting more?
- In what areas of your life are you prone to overcommit and overextend yourself?
- What happens when you spend more time with Jesus, how do you feel while “resting in Him?”
- What is one thing in your life right now that you wish you had said “no” to? What stopped you from saying “no” at the time? (page 69 )
- What did you discover from the activity list on page 73 in your workbook? Did you select an activity from your list and make time for it last week?
- How does observing the Sabbath rest challenge you to trust God for the provision in your life? (page 78 )