Breaking Free Online Bible Study | Introduction

Welcome Ladies, to another online Bible Study at the Women’s Bible Cafe™. This is an amazing study, Breaking Free by Beth Moore. It is a ten week in-depth study based on the book of Isaiah. We have 900+ women from around the world participating in this online Bible study.  Some of us are repeating the study because it’s just so good! My prayer is that you will have a deeper relationship with God through this life-changing study written by Beth Moore. May you identify and break free from your personal strongholds and obstacles to faith. May you be a different woman ten weeks from now than the woman you are today, standing firm in the promises of God.

breaking free online bible study intro

As you read Breaking Free, you’ll discover that Beth Moore is open, honest, compassionate, bold, and grounded! She shares her heart candidly and often uses her testimony, as well as the stories of other women, to unveil a personal relationship with Jesus.  “You will laugh, cry, be surprised, be happy, be sad, be angry, be compassionate…” says ministry leader Traci Pollard,  “but you will grow, releasing the bonds of captivity along the way, realizing that it is only through God’s love, grace and mercy that continues on  and on.”

Through it all, God says in His Word, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” It will be during the next ten weeks that God will meet us right where we are at, holding  our hands, walk with us one step at a time towards releasing hidden bondage that has been holding us hostage… until we are free to stand, always giving the Glory to God!

We’ll be using the Breaking Free workbook (sometimes called member book) for this study.  Each lesson should take about 45 minutes a day, five days a week.  We encourage you to pray before you begin each lesson, and only read one session per day. In the back of your workbook you will find nine Scripture Memory Cards, which are to be memorized on the corresponding week. Video sessions are available for download from Lifeway.com, they are optional and not required for online study.

Create a daily appointment with God, and don’t let anything pull you away from intimacy with Him. A good plan is to read each morning Monday through Friday, allowing the weekend to make up any lesson you missed during the week. Keep your study time simple and free from distractions.  You may find that keeping everything you need in one place will help you stay motivated.  I have a basket with my Bible, workbook, journal, pens, highlighters, reading glasses and post it notes.  If you are new to Bible study and don’t own a Bible yet, then use one of the many online versions at FREE sites such as BibleGateway.com or YouVersion.com or you may want to read this article~ How to Shop for a Bible

Sharing is voluntary and we do not expect you to share anything that will cause harm to yourself or another person. You are invited to participate in small group discussion via Facebook, or here at the website.  To participate in a discussion here on the website, you will answer the questions below by posting a comment. The first week our small groups will have introduction sessions, where you’ll meet your leader and co-leader, as well as the other women in your group. You’ll have the option to connect with an accountability partner if you desire this for your Bible study.We’ll explain how the small groups function and help you get started in online Bible study.

Please note that the first week of study, the small groups are quite populated! Many women will visit the groups to “see what it’s about” and might visit more than one group during the week. The timeline will move VERY FAST during the first week and might challenge you or frustrate you. This only happens the first week….then the small groups adjust in size and the conversation is easier to follow. During the first small group meetings, you might need to refresh your computer screen F5 to keep up. You can always go back later and re-read the timeline for your small group or jot down the prayer requests. Mobile devices are not recommended, please use a computer to access the small groups if possible.

Assignment For the Week

• Write a letter to God on the inside cover of your workbook. Put today’s date inside your book and tell Him where you are in your life right now, and where you hope He leads you during this study.
  • Pray before you begin reading. Ask the Holy Spirit to open your heart to wisdom.
  • Begin reading Week One: Untying the Cords of the Yoke in your workbook
  • Download the Answers to the Viewer Guide from Lifeway when you- click here and look under “support materials”
  • If you are listening to the audio cd’s or watching the videos, watch Session One, available through Lifeway (not required for participation in the study)

Discussion Questions- Answer in your small group or post a comment below

1. In your own words, how would you define stronghold?
  2. How would you describe captivity for a Christian?
  3. Galatians 5:1 NIV says “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.” How would you define freedom?

With love,

christine abraham

• Tammy says:

I have wanted to do the breaking free bible study for almost 10 years now. But never more than I feel I NEED to now. I have always been to late when I found one being offered. I would REALLY like to get an online group of women together that would be willing to do this study with me. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this? Thank you. Tammy

• Christine Abraham says:

Ask your FAcebook friends Tammy, all you need is a handful to make it successful!

• Gerilynne Lampkin says:

Tammy, I was able to find the breaking free study guide for a 1.00 at a local library. It’s brand new! Thank you, Lord……I am very interested in attending a study with you. Please keep in touch with me in regard to getting another study started. Thank you, Lord

• Aida says:

I would like to joining the Breaking free bible study i hope its not late i bought the book. Thank you God bless. Aida

• WBC says:

Aida, I am sorry The Breaking Free study is from an old post. You are welcome to do it on your own. It is a good study. On Aug 25, we are starting the study from book The Power of Gods Names. Written by Tony Evans

• Suzeanne Martinez says:

I just found this wonderful site and wanted to do the Breaking Free bible study. I hope it is not too late to join in. I also would like to join a small group, if possible. I seriously need accountability. I am going to get the book this weekend if I can still join so please let me know. Thank you

• Carol says:

TODAY’S WORD from Joel and Victoria
    “In scripture, the prophet Elisha told a man named Naaman to go wash in the Jordan River and he would be cured of his leprosy. Naaman was the Captain of an army, a very influential man. He didn’t want to go wash in the dirty Jordan River. His attitude was, “That’s absurd. That’s little. That’s insignificant. That’s not going to make any difference.” His assistant said, “Naaman, if he would have asked you to do something hard, something big, you would do it. Why don’t you do this small thing?” Naaman finally went and washed in the Jordan, and he was totally healed.
    I wonder how many of us would see our breakthrough, our healing, our promotion, or a dream come to pass if we would just do the small thing that God is asking us to do. People think, “Oh, it doesn’t really matter. I’ll do it one day.” But realize today, those little things mean a lot. They are keeping you from the fullness of your destiny. It may be something small, but your act of obedience will cause God to release the big thing that He has in store.”

As I read the today’s word from Pastor Joel and Victoria today…..it is telling me no matter how small things I do for myself or when ask….that it is a blessing to me for being obedience to God……of being ask…..that helps me “Breaking Free” listen by being obedience to God.

• Carol says:

I record Joyce Meyers on the TBN channel every morning…..one morning she was talking about her life…..it was very touching to me to hear that someone like her went through something like that growing up as a child…because my sisters and brother….we were blessed with a beautiful childhood growing up…..that we have enhance to continue that in our growing up as in our adult life……the name of the book she talks about is
    Do Yourself a Favor…Forgive: Learn How to Take Control of Your Life Through Forgiveness by Joyce Meyer
    I drive 2-hours to work one way…then 2-hours back home listen to her CD….she talks about how angry she was with her father and mother…..and how she had to learn to Forgive/Breaking Free…..to me this is powerful because of what our bible study is teaching us today…….I encourage each of you when you have a chance to ask your library if they have this CD and just listen to it while drive on your daily whatever you may be going……all while I was listen to this CD driving….a soft voice came through and said just be still and listen……it help me to tune out every thought that was going through my mind…..as well as our bible study Breaking Free….I hope this will help others in our bible study who are going through different things in their life..

• Carol says:

Good Morning Saints

Song of the Day: His Eye Is On the Sparrow

Scripture of the Day: It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burden again by a yoke of Slavery. Galatians 5:1

• Traci Conroy says:

Is it too late to sign up for a small group? If not…where do I find that?

• Jill says:

In your own words, how would you define stronghold?

A stronghold is when there is a battle of the mind and instead of giving it to God to handle or doing what God would do, you decide for yourself and if the decision does not align with God it could take you down the wrong path. The more time you spend on this path, the stronger hold it has on you. Hopefully you will recognize quickly you stepped off the straight path.

How would you describe captivity for a Christian?

Captivity for a Christian might be when a Christian is a strong believer but still battles with issues such as selfishness, gossip, or something that is of a sinful nature.

Galatians 5:1 NIV says “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.” How would you define freedom?

I would say in this case, freedom means free of sin. God wants to share a relationship with us all though his deep unconditional love for us. If we face our problems on our own, things may get worse. But when we work with the lord through prayer and ask for his help, it will be given unto us. Stand with God and you are not alone. He will fight your battles for you.

• Genna says:

Hey ladies! I am starting the breaking free bible study today. Is it too late to get started? If not, any advice on how I can catch up with the groups? This is my first time doing an online bible study so I’m not sure how the whole process works, but I’m really excited to get started.

• Tracy says:

Hello from Sunny Florida-

My name is Tracy and this is my first time doing an online bible study but thought it would help me keep on track with my relationship with God.

• Strong holds. I personally struggle with patients, control. Worry and focus. I have to tell my brain to shut down when I pray so I can focus on him and learn to hear his voice and direction.
    Captivity. Emotional and spiritual bondage.
    Freedom. I believe for my self that this a daily walk of learning,praying and being humble.i believe God teaches me by testing me in these areas so I can see and be aware of it and learn to handle it differently which often leads to getting on my knees to thank him and let that pride go.

• Lizette says:

How can Idownload the answers from lifeway? I am new to online bible study and I am a little lost.

• Amy says:

Hi. My name is Amy and I’m from Colorado. My favorite kids book is “The monster at the end of the book” who doesn’t love Grover!

• Julie says:

Hi Ladies, I am finding it hard to find a group to join in on Facebook as live is South Australia however I am loving the bible study and am learning so much already. So my homework for this week is:

In your own words, how would you define stronghold?

Any physical, emotional, spiritual thing that stops letting you live the fullness of life in Christ that he has planned for you.

How would you describe captivity for a Christian?

Being caught in the these strongholds, sometimes for years, and not actively praying and working with God to become free of them.

Knowing that when strongholds try to start separating you from freedom that you can pray and have faith that God will set you free from them. Strongholds just don’t stop happening it takes hard work to be free of them. I know in my personal experience years can go by caught in some strongholds and you don’t have blessing in you life and you feel you are far from God. When you start working on them God is with you 100% carrying you through them. Mine are mainly emotional strongholds and what I have learned so far is when there is an emotional stronghold bubbling under the surface, if I take it to God in that moment, through pray and guidance God will help me through it before I react in away that is not positive to myself or others.

God bless

• Heather says:

Hi Julie, I live in New Brunswick, Canada. Would love to join you in sharing thoughts through the Breaking Free Bible study. May you continue to be aware to the emotional strongholds that begin to bubble and take them before our Father…May His abundant love fill you daily keeping you on track to react in positive ways. His way always…take care

• Diane says:

I had a question regarding the viewer guide. I am not watching the videos, but can access the fill ins through the website. Is the ” viewer guide” part of our study, or are we focusing on the chapters?

• Jenny Sharpe says:

I would define Freedom in Christ as being free to worship and serve God because I choose too it’s my desire out of love and reverence for him. I have a choice and I choose him because he first chose me.

• Michele K says:

Christine, you mention to download the “answers to the viewer guide”… do you mean for us to download the copy with the answers or without? I would think that you would want us to have it blank,,,,not sure about this, can you clairify.

• Amy says:

God could have made us robots where we had a set of duties and commands to follow. No stops, no breaks, nothing, just move from point a to point z then stop. Instead, God created humans and gave us free will. Every time we put something else in front of Him; we are snared. Christians have captivity by putting worldly things before Christ over and over. It’s allowing outside forces to enslave us.

• Amy says:

I would define freedom as choices and the free will to make personal decisions for our choices. Christian freedom is putting Christ at the center of those choices. He is our stronghold or fortress. His guidance helps us to make the best choices. He loves us. He therefore wants us to have a bountiful life filled with wonder. So,we Christians trust him to help us with decisions.

• Renee says:

Hi my name is Renee. I missed the beginning of the study starting yesterday but would like to continue and am reading the material and using the other tools and materials provided. I am not sure how to view what was said yesterday on facebook and it says that the study is closed and yet I did sign up. What do I need to do? Thank you and I am looking forward to what God has in store for us.

• Patty Swanson says:

Freedom in Christ means I have and experience a secure attachment to Him. I am free to live and move in a radius around Him and still fel His presence..and guidance. But I will feel a distance or confision if I have strayed too far.

• Monica Bess says:

Hi Everyone,
    I have the ebook version from Lifeway and it is not broken down by lessons. Can someone breakdown each lesson by chapter for me? I just want to make sure that I do not get behind. I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!

• Carol Jackson says:

As I define and think about “Freedom”…..I have prayed my entire burden to God…and being at peace for his guidance.

• Pamila says:

Hello,
    I AM so excited for this study anticipation of what great BLESSINGS will be shown to us all

• Angela Roberts says:

I would also define freedom as knowing that I have a personal relationship with God and will spend eternity with him.

• Angela Roberts says:

I would describe a stronghold as anything that you will do no matter what the costs and even though you know it is wrong, you still do it and cannot stop. Captivity for a Christian is any desire that you put before God and/or not doing God’s will.

• Sarah says:

Because Christ died for my sins I am free and unburdened from the heavy and enormous weights of sin.

• Sarah says:

Captivity for a Christian can be seen as Satan blocking you from taking the time to pray and worship and creating a relationship with God.

• Kristy says:

How do I join a small group for this study ?

• Sarah says:

So my definition of a stronghold is something you can use to anchor yourself to or the opposite being something that can prevent you from being anchored to. I struggle mightily with bipolar disorder and bouts of deep depression where I see no hope for a future. In those times my stronghold is the special education students I teach and knowing that I give them hope and second chances. But that stronghold works both ways because at times even my faith inChrist and his undying love and grace for me isn’t enough to be my stronghold and my anchor

• Gail Milling says:

In answer to the above questions: for me a stronghold is something that binds someone downs and it has the capability of holding one back from what they can accomplish in their life. When a Christian is held captive by a weakness in their own life their their walk with Godbecomes stifle , they become spiritual weak because of things that bind them to the outside world. It is only through the prayer and asking God to help to deliver that person out of spiritual darkness that binds them from having a closer walk with God. Can one achieve person and spiritual freedom.

• Marie says:

.I know He who is in me is stronger than anything else that may hold me captive, so I’m looking forward to Breaking Free….

• Wendy says:

I am new to this and very excited about Breaking Free! Good Afternoon to everyone!

• Barbara Moore says:

My name is Barbara Moore and I live in College Station, TX. My favorite childhood book is “Are You There God? Its Me Margaret” by Judy Blume

• Jenny Sharpe says:

Hi everyone I am very excited to get started today!

• Nancy Brands says:

I hope I am doing this right. I have been looking forward to doing this study.

• Joleen says:

Looking forward to being FREE ❤

• cindi jones says:

Galatians 5:1 is my testimony verse. Can’t wait to get started!

• Melanie says:

Just starting today – looking forward to it

• Sheila Colangelo says:

I agree, great way to start a week !

• Joan says:

Il, too, am looking forward to what God has in store for me. There are any number of strongholds God may wish to break me free of and I a ready for any or all of them. Praise You Lord for Your faithfulness and mercy!

• Vanessa says:

Good morning, what a wonderful way to start my day. I’m new to this, but looking forward to the challenge.

• Vickie cox says:

im looking forward to stiudyng Beth Moore Breakuing Ftee

• Natalie says:

Hi Im just starting the bible study today !! YAY !! looking forward to seeing what God has in store 🙂