Developing a Heart to Share Jesus- Week 1

sharejesus1

Welcome to the Women’s Bible Cafe as we study Share Jesus Without Fear by William Fay. This week we’re discussing How to Develop a Heart to Share Jesus, based on your reading assignment. We timed this Bible study for December when people are observing Christians as we celebrate Christmas. More women joined our study last week, and we now have over 300+ participating in this online womens Bible study. Many of you have said how much you’re enjoying the book and that you can’t put it down!

After reading this week, you now understand how your heart is essential to sharing Jesus with others. The most important lesson is that you can’t fail. Knowing this, I hope your heart has changed  and you’ll allow people to respond to your faith instead of hiding your faith. You’re not converting people; you’re working in conjunction with the Holy Spirit to lead people to Jesus so He can reveal His love.

Your role in sharing Jesus with others is to overcome the temptation to be silent. Let others see Christ working in you and yield to the Holy Spirit. Talk to the lost, as someone once talked to you. Realize that your one conversation may not open the door to salvation, however it does plant a seed for knowing Him. When enough seeds are planted, a Holy Makeover will occur.

During the small groups this week you’ll discuss fear as the biggest obstacle to sharing Jesus. Knowing God has called you to the Great Commission, you’ll find the enemy has been silencing your voice. A good example is of this today is in the media and schools, as it’s “unacceptable” to openly share your faith without an atheist or person of another religion condemning you. An army is rising up to silence you…and you have the choice to be obedient to God or to hide behind your fear.

Turn your hearts away from what is acceptable to the media, and turn back to God. Share Jesus with others and wait for doors to open. Remind yourself that obedience to God is sharing Him with others. You are a Daughter of the King…and your Father is glorious. Why do you want to keep quiet about that? Fear.

Fear God instead.

So you shall keep the commandments of the Lord your God, to walk in His ways and [reverently] fear Him. Deut 8:6 Amplified

Personal Story from Staisa Nielson, Missionary

This book is good. As a missionary I do share my faith. I work more one-on-one because of Mercy Ministries I have been involved with through the years. But I love to share His love. Constantly. I have been honored to have shared in large crowds, up to 3000 in Asia, Mexico.

24 years ago, I was sharing at an evangelistic outreach (around 1500 people assembled) in a Muslim (that means quite dangerous basically) area near Olangapo and someone threw a large rock at my head. Dizzy and dazed I dropped the microphone as blood started to dribble quickly down my head.

Immediately my team members came and took care of me. Not missing a beat, the men on the team stood in front to protect us as several other people threw smaller rocks. Then strange hush went threw the crow

Mad stares went towards the culprits who threw the rocks, then our dear younger man from Sweden took the microphone and shared The forgiveness of Christ to the whole crowd. We all stayed right there on the make shift stage….I continued to stand after I was given a cloth to wipe my head with. I would not retreat. a couple of us later thought we were about to me martyred that day. But then and it was truly amazing…People wept, people came to Christ. the one who threw the rock that hit me left and I never saw him again. I still pray for him when I remember it all. Just a simple memory I wanted to share with you all. I don’t know why… giggled as I touch my forehead, I still have a scar…. wee one, but I can still feel it. God is good.
Stasia is one of the leaders here at the Womens Bible Cafe. To follow her personal blog- click here.

Our Prayer Wall is the place to reach out with your prayer needs and praise reports. Please visit the page and pray for those people who are asking for you to lift them up in prayer. Pray for the leaders of this study and the women in your small group.

Scripture Memory Verse of the Week

But you belong to God, my dear children. You have already won a victory over those people, because the Spirit who lives in you is greater than the spirit who lives in the world. 1 John 4:4 NLT

Homework For The Week

• Read Chapters 5 to 7 in the book.
  • If you’re using the workbook, read Week Two
  • Join a small group discussion this week.

Discussion Questions- Discuss with your small group or if you’re doing the study independently, post a comment below

1. What are some of the reasons why you are afraid to share your faith or did not witness?
  2. Before this study, did you think success in witnessing was winning someone to Christ? Why?
  3. What does it mean to trust God for the results?
  4.  Think about the person God worked through you to bring you to Jesus. What did they share with you?
  5. Which fears are preventing you from witnessing? (fear of rejection, fear of not knowing enough, fear of offending, fear of ridicule or persecution)
  6. What has God taught you during this week’s lesson?

Comment using your Facebook Account OR scroll to bottom of page and comment using your email

• Nancy James says:

I missed the live session last week so here are my discussion comments:
    I am reluctant to share my faith in Jesus mainly for the reasons that were stated in the intro. Fear of it being inappropriate or not politically correct to witness people. I was involved with a southern baptist church where it was strongly encouraged to do door knocking evangelism. As a new Christian I happily followed, but after a few months of doors being slammed I lost my hope for sharing Christ.
    Because that is what we were told to do as disciples.
    What does it mean to trust God for the results?
    We have to have faith that God’s work never fails even though it may feel like it from a human standpoint.
    She shared with me the truth that even though I thought I was a good person, may works alone could not win me a place in heaven.
    As stated above in the faith question.
    What has God taught you during this week’s lesson?
    That I should let go of my expectations and false beliefs and open up the conversation and let the Holy Spirit do his work through me.

• Rochelle says:

Thank you Christine for answering all questions/comments so quickly!! You are truly a blessing and are really cultivating such a sense of community!
    I’m having trouble finding the schedule for the online chat for the A Heart to Share Jesus book. I am a member of the online chat group on facebook, but don’t know when the chats are.

Thanks so much!

• Bonnie Hazelwood says:

Just did the small group today…God has been placing this on my heart for a few months now, I even dreamed about sharing my faith, I have been praying for opportunities to share, now I’m praying for awareness for those opportunities and boldness and know even if I fumble through it God can use it. And yes I will probably still be afraid. (I am very shy so I’m already afraid to talk to people)

• Christine Smith says:

Excited for you Bonnie! In the next lesson the author suggests role playing the 5 questions…so you’ll put this into practice soon 🙂

• Missy says:

Waittttttttttttttttttttttt I missed the go live/launch chat…ARGH too many things going on….and I had so many things to say after visiting Mr. Fay’s website a few weeks ago, oh well it wasn’t meant…..

See you in the chat this week to discuss week 2.

• Christine Smith says:

Waittttttttttttttttttttttt …Mr Fay has a website? How did I miss that! I’m going to check it out…. 😉

• Sarah says:

As a young girl and teenager, I was strong in my faith. I witnessed to my friends and my life was good. As I went to college, I remember admitting to my dorm mates that I prayed to Jesus and that I would share my Bible if they ever wanted to read with me. Well, I was IMMEDIATELY ridiculed. They called me a Bible beater and laughed. I was out of my element and so desperately wanted to fit it. I am ashamed, but I admit, I hid my Bible and NEVER brought it up again.

I lost my way and for fifteen years, I turned my back on the Lord. I even made fun of Christianity ☹

By the kindest act of GOD, I was reunited with a dear friend a few years ago. She was a sister in Christ when we were in High School. I thank the LORD that she did not stray from Christ and that a year ago, she prayed with me and encouraged me to ask Jesus back into my heart.

She witnessed to me by the way she lived. I was so depressed and alone and living in darkness. I looked at her Facebook page and saw beauty and love surrounding her. She has a wonderful husband and two beautiful children. I was barely scraping by, and eating almost every meal by myself, crying and battling suicidal thoughts almost everyday.

One evening, I was crying in my bedroom. I called her and she invited me to ask Jesus into my heart. She so sweetly and gently reminded me that Jesus loves me and wants me. She was powerful and gentle as we prayed. I asked the Lord back into my life and plead for forgiveness. Days later, I was participating in a free trial where I saw a therapist and was put on short term anti-depressants. Then I moved and soon met my boyfriend. The past year has been an amazing time, Christ is working in my life.

I am still afraid to share my faith because I feel weak. I don’t want to be made fun of again and I don’t want others to talk about me behind my back.

I was reminded this week that witnessing does NOT always mean winning someone to Christ. I was reminded of the times in my life when I saw something as simple as a cross hanging in a friend’s living room or storefront. That symbol of Christ made a pathway that opened my heart. It was a symbol that HE is good and there are friends in him. It is good to remember that Christ works in his own mysterious ways. I do need to remember that I need to speak of him to my non-Christian friends. And I need to remember that if they decide to ridicule me, I am surrounded by God’s love and I am protected. No harm will come to me, but a brother or sister could be saved. Their entire life could eventually be turned around by the LORD and they too can experience the life changing love of Christ. I can’t deny anyone that precious gift! I want to share.

• Christine Smith says:

Oh Sarah…you’ve reminded me why we need to outreach to college students…this is so important! We need a place where they can connect and fellowship, and feel accepted for their beliefs. The Teen Bible Cafe is starting in January…we need to focus on young adults too! Thank you for your testimony.

• Sarah says:

Christine,
        Yes! It is so important. I’ve been emotional this week, wondering just how different my life would have turned out if I had stuck with the Lord during that time.

Yes, colleges are a very, very important place to minister.

• marsha says:

Before I started reading the book I didn’t think about it being a sin to not share Jesus with others. I Knew that God wanted me to but I just felt like it was something I would get better at as I got stronger. Well now I have been a christian for about 40 years and though I have shared Jesus at times, it’s not been nearly as much as God has wanted me to. Satan really has ways of keeping us stagnant in our christian growth! The last couple of years I have really been studying the bible and praying and working on growing as I get closer to God thanever before. This week I have been asking God to open oppurtunities for me to share and things are starting to happen Pray for my strength, because I am very shy and awkward in talking to people I don’tknow well. But I know God will give me strength! . I love this book and am very glad I joined this study. Thank you for the good work you are doing.

• Sheree Poole says:

What an awesome time of discussion we had in our small group Saturday morning. Some of the fears we discussed as reasons why we do not share our faith with others are fear of rejection, fear of ridicule, fear of lack of knowledge, fear of failure, to name a few. Some of us even thought we had to be successful when sharing our faith, and so the number one fear is the fear of rejection. However, when we share our faith with other people, we are acting in obedience to God’s call for us as Christians. As stated in our Bible study “Share Jesus without Fear,” Bill Fay states, “success is sharing your faith and living your life for Jesus Christ. It has nothing whatsoever to do with bringing anyone to the Lord. It has everything to do with obedience” (p. 3). This takes a lot of pressure off of us as Christians, because we plant the seeds and the Holy Spirit will do the rest. The only way we fail is when we remain silent, and we learned that “silence” is a “sin.” Bill Fay also states, “we need to get away from the “win them” mentality.” People do not put their faith in Christ because we force them to believe. They put their faith in Christ because God uses us to point out the truth” (p. 17). We have the power of the Holy Spirit to give us the strength and the courage to share our faith (Philippians 4:13). Therefore, we need to tap into our main resource, the Holy Spirit, Who is our Helper, Who gives us wisdom, Who gives us power, Who gives us confidence, Who gives us strength…we cannot fail!!

Thanks for joining the discussion!