Welcome back to womens online Bible study as we continue Esther by Beth Moore. We’ve just finished week seven in our workbook and saw a turning point. The beautiful Queen Esther confronts her adversary and her fear… and unveils her identity. If you’ve watched the movie One Night With the King then you know this is quite a scene! If you haven’t watched this epic movie, it’s available on Nextlix or currently $5.00 at Walmart online.
We saw many emotions this week in our scripture study. Esther demonstrates courage and fear. The King demonstrates anger and jealousy. Haman demonstrates fear and defeat. As Beth Moore mentions in the study, grace and mercy are missing. What other emotions were present or not present in our study this week? Please share your answers by posting a comment below. On page 159 in the workbook we had the opportunity to describe the expressions and postures of each character.
Did you recognize the presence of Satan in this scripture? Beth Moore summarizes this when she writes “Over and over I am astonished at the effectiveness of our enemy to deceive people into thinking that Christianity is bondage, but his path (disguised as human independence, Matt 16:23) is freedom.” She concludes that Esther recognized the devil and then called him out!
We had the opportunity in small groups this week to apply the scripture to our own lives. We examined our own battles of trusting, times when we spoke too soon and wanted to renege, and times when we were tempted to tell the truth and run. Your answers in small groups have been powerful and eye-opening for many. Thank you for sharing your hearts so we all grow in faith and understanding of scripture and it’s life application.
We have two more weeks of study. I hope you stay in track with the reading assignments and continue to join us in small groups. Have a blessed week!
Our Prayer Wall is the place to reach out with your prayer needs and praise reports. Please visit the page and pray for those people who are asking for you to lift them up in prayer. Pray for the leaders of this study and the women in your small group.
Homework For The Week
- Read Week Eight in your workbook.
- If you’re using the video or audios for this study, watch Session Seven
- Join a small group this week. To see the small group schedule please click here
- For those in my Saturday small group, we’ll be discussing week 8 on Saturday
- Register for the next Bible study- Share Jesus Without Fear when you click here
Discussion Questions- Discuss with your small group or post a comment below
- Esther added a disclaimer “if we had merely been sold as male and female slaves, I would have kept quiet.” Why do you think she added this disclaimer?
- Can you think of a time when you spoke too soon but didn’t know how to renege? If so, describe the experience.
- Without mentioning names, describe the circumstances of your last battle over trusting. Are you thankful for your decision or do you regret it?
- Write Proverbs 26:27 into your own words. Here is the NLT version: If you set a trap for others, you will get caught in it yourself. If you roll a boulder down on others, it will crush you instead.
- When is the last time you were tempted to tell the truth and run?
Related Articles for Esther Online Bible Study
Esther Online Bible Study Begins Sept 24, 2012 (sign up here)