Welcome back to the Bible Cafe as we discuss week four of Esther by Beth Moore. We’re at a major moment in the study, as Esther is faced with choosing her will or the Lord’s. She’s no longer the beautiful Queen filled with days of pampering and fun…she’s driven to her knees by Haman’s planned execution of the Jews. For such as time as this…Esther was prepared to follow God’s will and not her own.
Esther’s initial response to her uncle’s public display of mourning is to offer him clothing to replace his sackcloth. He denies the Queen, and she persists in finding out the cause of his obvious distress. Once she unveils the planned execution, she discovers she’s between a rock and a hard place. Wisely she chooses to follow God’s will and not listen to the terrified sound of her beating heart.
Esther faces her mountain with the most obvious choice: fasting and prayer. We’ve seen many other Biblical characters demonstrate a similar approach to a large problem. I wonder how many people today would follow this example?
Is it our nature to fast and pray when faced with trouble…..or do we turn to alternatives? How do we as modern Christians handle our personal stress and trials?
Consider both Esther and Mordecai this week as they demonstrate their incredible faith and love for God. Both were driven to bring Glory to God and overcome their fear.
“You don’t have enough faith,” Jesus told them. “I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it would move. Nothing would be impossible.” Matt 17:20 NLT
What mountain do you need to move in your life? Are you moving it alone…or with Jesus beside you. Join a small group discussion this week as we define a purposeful life and moving our mountains by faith.
Our Prayer Wall is the place to reach out with your prayer needs and praise reports. Please visit the page and pray for those people who are asking for you to lift them up in prayer. Pray for the leaders of this study and the women in your small group.
Homework For The Week
- Read Week Five in your workbook.
- If you’re using the video or audios for this study, watch Session Four
- Join a small group this week. To see the small group schedule please click here
- For those in my Saturday small group, we’ll be discussing week 5 on Saturday
Discussion Questions- Discuss with your small group or answer them here when you post a comment below
- What headline might have appeared in Persia had a newspaper existed in the day of Esther? What would the front page and second page headline read?
- Has God ever allowed a threat of trouble in your life to drive you to your knees? If so, what did you learn through the experience?
- Esther wanted to hand clothing to Mordecai to cover his distress. When we see someone in distress, what do we typically hand them to cover up their pain?
- Why would we prefer to fix someone’s pain rather than listening to it?
- How would you define a purposeful life? What does it look like to you?
Related Articles for Esther Online Bible Study
Esther Online Bible Study Begins Sept 24, 2012 (sign up here)