Welcome back to the Womens Bible Cafe as we join together to study Esther: It’s Tough Being a Woman by Beth Moore. Your assignment last week was to read chapter one, and if using the video/audio segments, listen to the Introduction. Many of you also joined us in the small groups via Facebook and it was pure joy to get to know you better! For those women who are not using the Facebook group, you’ll use this website to post your answers to the discussion questions. Each week we present a summary of the lesson and group discussion questions for you to answer. Let’s jump into week one…
During our study Beth Moore introduced us to Vashti, the beautiful Queen of Persia and trophy wife for King Xerxes. We know that a lavish party was occurring, wine flowed freely, and when summoned by her husband to make an appearance, the Queen refused. As a consequence of her rebellion, all women were then legally required to submit to their husbands. Since he banished the beautiful Vashti, the King opened the door for a new wife to enter the scene. For the new queen, it’s tough being a woman in another woman’s shadow. Especially if that woman was a trophy wife!
After reading the first chapter of Esther, you realize that many details are missing from the story. We don’t know why the men and women were divided into two different settings. My imagination went wild on this one…and Beth gave some possible explanations of her own. Since the Old Testament is acknowledged by many other religions besides Christianity, I think it would be fascinating to know how they ‘translated” Esther chapter one. From the perspective of our Beth Moore Bible study, I gather there was a room full of drunk men, the king desired his wife, he sent seven castrated men (eunuchs) to fetch her, and she refused him publicly. Ouch!
Queen Vashti was beautiful, rich, had friends to entertain and lived in an amazing palace. With one decision she made, she was tossed out as Queen and burdened all women as a result of her action. For Queen Vashti, it was tough being a woman because she was disposable.
Our Prayer Wall is the place to reach out with your prayer needs and praise reports. Please visit the page and pray for those people who are asking for you to lift them up in prayer. Pray for the leaders of this study and the women in your small group.
Homework For The Week
- Read Week Two in your workbook.
- If you’re using the video or audios for this study, watch Session One.
- Join a small group this week. To see the small group schedule please click here
- For those in my Saturday small group, we’ll be discussing week 1 and 2 this Saturday
Discussion Questions- Discuss with your small group or answer them here when you post a comment below
- King Xerxes threw a lavish 180-day expo to show his wealth and power. Do we still see examples of this today? Give an example.
- Why do you think Queen Vashti refused to come when the King summoned her?
- Beth believes the seven wise men (nobles) gave the King inflammatory advice, taking advantage of his situation and mood. How can you keep from giving someone inflammatory advice when the temptation is strong?
- Have you ever been in another woman’s shadow? What happened?
Related Articles for Esther Online Bible Study
Esther Online Bible Study Begins Sept 24, 2012 (sign up here)