12 Books to Read During the Summer of 2012

My favorite summer memories are sitting by the pool reading a book while sipping sweet tea. Since my children love to swim with friends, I have many opportunities to read through some great books. I still remember the books I read last summer, they were so good! I’ve decided to create a list of books I’d recommend to my friends for summer reading….and I’m sharing it here with my friends from the Womens Bible Cafe and Twitter @LifeVerse

What are you reading this summer?

While my usual reading preference is for new nonfiction Christian books, I like to mix up the selection during the summer with fiction and classics. Be sure to let me know what book you’ve selected…. and then share a review of it when you’ve finished. If you’ve got a favorite ice tea or summer drink recipe please share that too! Don’t forget to join our summer bible study with Beth Moore as we read Nehemiah by Kelly Minter. Sign up when you- click here.

12 Books to Read During the Summer of 2012

1. Choose Joy by Kay Warren
  2. The Circle Maker by Mark Batterson
  3. Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster
  4. Close Enough to Hear God Breathe by Greg Paul
  5. Expecting to See Jesus by Anne Graham Lotz
  6. Bailey Flanigan Series by Karen Kingsbury
  7. Soul Detox by Craig Groeschel
  8. Bringing Up Girls by James Dobson
  9. What’s It Like to Be Married to Me by Linda Dillow
  10. A Lineage of Grace by Francine Rivers
  11. Almost Christian by Kendra Creasy Dean
  12. What do you recommend???

For more suggestions on books to read during the summer, check these places:

See you at the pool or beach!!! I’ll be the woman with the Christian book in her hand. It always sparks a conversation with someone….

This is what my children will be reading during the summer…I just might peek into their books too!

• Shannon says:

The very best book I have EVER read is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. I read it every summer and fall in love all over again!!!

• Karen says:

I am reading “Not a Fan” by Kyle Idleman. It is great!

• debbie faunce says:

i’ve been reading Robert Whitlow’s book this summer beside my bible study on Nehemial. Jimmy is a tear jerker but enjoyed Deeper Water and The Sacrifice. I’ve heard the book “not a Fan” is incredible. similar to Crazy love which i ‘ve read and downloaded to reread on phone.

• Elizabth says:

Another great book is “How People Change” by Timothy Lane and Paul David Tripp. I would rate it the best book on Christian living! It also has an accompanying workbook. It is truly a life transforming book. I reviewed it on my blog.

• I’d recommend Nancy Jo Sullivan’s “Small Mercies.” It’s a beautiful memoir in which 50-something Nancy Jo Sullivan reflects on her life to this point–which includes the death of one of her daughters and a painful divorce–and discovers that God has been, and continues to be, everywhere.

Sullivan helps you find joy and God in everyday moments, from kitchen table conversations with her daughter to walking her dog. It’s a summer must-read!

• Lynda Anderson says:

I’ve been reading “Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God” by Francis Chan. An excellent read that I would recommend to anyone.

I’d also recommend “The Noticer” by Andy Andrews. Seriously, this book can be a life changer.

• Ashley says:

I just recently finished Choose Joy , by Kay Warren. It was an eye opener to me about the joys in life. I am excited to start the next book, Circle Maker, I also am looking forward to the Nehemiah study. God has some amazing blessings to show each of us. He is such a Savior! 🙂 my book is bought and waiting for June 26!!

• Christine Smith says:

I just ordered Circle Maker for Kindle. It’s nice to have a friend to “read” with! I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the next book. 🙂

• Laverne (Missy) says:

Hello ladies,

I just added to my wish list every one of these books available on Audible and Amazon.com. Two were not available on Audible but they all are on Amazon. While most people listen to the radio at work i listen to books and sermons….I really enjoy One Place – its like one stop shop for ALL ministers…LOL

Thanks again Christine….

• Joanie says:

I have chosen to read Choosing Joy. The title sounds promising.

• Ominah Morez says:

My church, the GACC.org, womens group summer reading list is Exquisite Agony by Gene Edwards, The Beauty of Modesty by David Vaughn, and Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow. I will be adding these books to by reading list. So exciting. ^_^

• Laverne (Missy) says:

Thanks so much for this list I have selected quite a bite from it. I was wondering from you and anyone here.

Do you read a devotional? If so what is its title? I’m looking for one that also has journal space in it if possible, if not its ok but I need a devotional.

Any recommendations?

• Thanks for this list of books AND the links to purchase, Christine! Brother Lawrence’s “Practice the Presence of God” is also a good read…especially in August as school and activities begin to kick it. He offers a valuable reminder that even amidst busyness, we can seek God’s presence.

• Shawn Allen says:

Thanks for sharing….going to read atleast 2 of them!!

• You have some really interesting books to read for the summer! I ♥ summer reading especially by the pool!

Have a blessed summer!

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Ellen Hagan says:

I just read a good little book called “Lit” written from a Christian perspective about what we should be reading and how to get the most out of reading – both fiction and non-fiction, Chrisitian and secular. Very helpful little book that will help me organize my summer reading list this year 🙂

• Carla says:

Thanks for sharing Christine. I have several of the books you’ve recommended (I’m still working on them). I’ll be sure to add some of these to my collection.

• elaine says:

Hi , I Have a good book you may like Steps To Christ how to know him better

Thank you so much. I will be checking out these book.

• Shan says:

I’ll be reading The Circle Maker and following through with the whole Soul Detox program!