Knowing God By Name Online Bible Study Begins Today

Welcome to womens online bible study as we begin Knowing God By Name by Mary Kassian. While the bible reveals more than 100 names of God, this study will focus on 35 of them. “The purpose of this study is to get to know God better and trust Him more completely by exploring the many facets of His names. Such intimate knowledge will compel us to worship Him,” writes Mary.  Our study will be divided into these name categories:

1. Names of deity
  2. Names of character
  3. Names of power
  4. Names of authority
  5. Names of splendor
  6. Names of intimacy
  7. Names of sufficiency

Each week of study you’ll examine the names of God through your reading assignments. You’ll find flashcards for download (see the homework section below) or you can create your own using the template in the back of your workbook.

You’ll also explore the meaning of your own name- first, middle, last and maiden (before your were married). You can ask your parents (if living) why they named you, and also explore the internet for sites to research the meaning of your name.

I remember asking my mom why she named me “Christine” and she said she heard the name on a soap opera and liked it. My maiden name is “Abraham” and while I was attending Catholic schools as a child my standard tests always said “Christ Abraham.”  No pressure, right? Today my caller ID on the phone reads “Christ Smith” and it makes people smile.

As I explored the meaning of my name on internet sites, I discovered Christine means “one who believes in Christ” and that really defines me. Lynn, my middle name, means “water feature or pool” and that does NOT describe me. I think I’ll continue searching….according to Wiki “since the 1960’s Lynn is the most common middle name for females.” Thankfully I was not born to celebrity parents or my name might be “Blue Ivy” or “Echo.” I’m sure they’d never consider “Sin Halo Jude” though it was placed upon a precious baby by his celebrity parents. How do you discipline a kid with the name “Sin?”

Have fun this week searching your names and then post the meaning as a comment below. We’ll have a live discussion on Facebook to discuss our names and meanings. It will be a fun way to fellowship and get to know each other.  We’ll announce the day and time on Facebook…so be sure to follow our page: Facebook.com/WomensBibleCafe

You can also connect with me personally on my personal page Facebook.com/LifeVerse for updates on family and life…just send me a friend request.

Our Prayer Wall is the place to reach out with your prayer needs and praise reports. Please visit the page and pray for those people who are asking for you to lift them up in prayer. Pray for the leaders of this study and the women in your small group.

How to Participate

Here’s what you can expect from your participation in the Knowing God By Name  Bible study

• Pray before you begin reading. Ask the Holy Spirit to open your heart to wisdom.
  • Read your daily lessons, five total, lasting about 20 minutes each day.  A good plan is to read each morning Monday through Friday, allowing the weekend to make up any lesson you missed during the week.
  • Visit the Womens Bible Cafe anytime on Monday and join in the group discussion by posting a comment.
  • Watch our Facebook page for announcements of live discussions and fun events. Facebook.com/WomensBibleCafe
  • Get into a daily routine of study. Make it the first priority and resist distractions or doubt that will temp you to fall behind.

Homework For The Week

• Write a letter to God on the inside cover of your workbook. Put today’s date inside your book and tell Him where you are in your life right now, and where you hope He leads you during your bible study Knowing God By Name
  • Download the Flash Cards for this study: Lifeway.com > Knowing God By Name Member Book> Support Materials
  • Read Week One in your workbook.
  • Explore the meaning of your own name- first, middle, last and maiden. Ask your parents (if living) why they named you, and research the internet for meanings of your name.
  • Check in with your Small Group Leader. Contact us if you have not heard from your leader by Wednesday.

Group Discussion- answer one or as many questions as you like by posting a comment below and also discussing in your small groups this week

1. Why did your parents select your name and what is the meaning of your name?
  2. Did your family every give you a nickname? Did you like or dislike  it?
  3. How did you select the name (s) of your children?

UPDATE: Small groups are full. You can still join our study, however the small groups are at capacity. So you’ll be placed on a waiting list for a small group. You can still participate by joining the online discussions and Facebook chats

• Marie Solla says:

1. My name is Marie Gene Solla (LUNA is my maiden name). I am named after my mother Marie Gene Norris, who was named after both her parents. Her mother’s name was Maria and her father’s name was Eugene. Marie is derived from Miryam and in Hebrew means bitter or rebellious. Gene is a Greek name, meaning well-born, or noble. Luna means moon in Latin.

2. When I was little my dad used to call me Mati Tuni.(Marie Luna) I don’t know if I liked it, but I know I missed when he stopped calling me that!

3. My son’s name is Joei Rhonzel Solla. His father and grandfather are named Jose, Joseph in English, so I decided on Joey with an i instead of a y – Joei!! His middle name is a made up name that Joei’s dad and my dad came up with!

• Jimmie C says:

In the early 1960’s there was a name trend in MS and AL to name little girls after their Daddy. So James became Jimmie. James is Hebrew for he who supplants. My middle name comes from my Grandmother Claudia. A Christian woman of Rome in Timothy. Knowing my Grandmother she was named correctly. My maiden name is McCluskey. It comes from Northern Ireland and has a Celtic origin. The religious origin is Christian and the family crest colors mean (gold: generosity, white: sincerity and peace and green: hope, loyalty in love). In 1981 I married a Chesnut. I have always said Chesnut without a T in the middle as we are not trees. Haha. The name comes from England meaning of the Chesten Nut Tree.

I have two children who are teenagers. When we started coming up with names for the first, family got involved and argued over who she would be named after. So we chose a name that had never been used in either of our familes as far as we knew. Looking up her meaning tonight I find Charlotte – free woman. How profound… The second daughter also had a non-family name: Courtney – Courteous. And she is.

• Jenise S. says:

My mom selected my name because it began with a J and so did hers. My nicknames are chocolate, jeff, bones and niecy, all from family and friends and I like all of them. My daughters name I chose a B to start with because I hadn’t heard so many people called this, and evidently many other moms thought the same, since Brianna is quite the household name.

• Jayce says:

1. Why did your parents select your name and what is the meaning of your name? My parents created my name by combining both of my grandmothers first names: the JA from Janice and the YCE from Joyce. I love my name because it is so unique. I have met a few boys over the years Jace and looking online Jayce is also mainly a male name. I’ve also had problems with the way people pronounce my name; many people want to say Jaycee but it’s just one syllable, similar to Chase but with a J. Looking online, my name is derived from the Greek word for “healer.” I’m not sure I would call myself a healer, but it is interesting to know.

2. Did your family ever give you a nickname? Did you like or dislike it? I’ve been called Ace before, probably because it rhymes with name. I liked it when I played volleyball because an Ace is when you serve the ball and the other team doesn’t even hit it back over the net. Although I didn’t mind the nickname, I’m glad that it didn’t stick forever.

3. How did you select the name (s) of your children? I recently finished my undergrad degree and am continuing with a grad degree in the fall so I don’t have any children yet. I’m not sure how I will eventually select the names of my children though.

• simone says:

My moms found my name in a magazine. Dont have any children yet but i would like to name them biblical names or names with a signifigant meaning

• Marcia says:

My mother named me Marcia because my grandfather (my mom’s Dad) heard it on a soap opera and thought it was original (Marcia is not a common name among Hispanics). Marcia is the Spanish form of my name and it means brave. In English is pronounced Marsha. Most of my friends call me Marsha. My daughter’s name is Maricel. I picked her name from one of my students. I had never heard it before and I really loved it. Maricel means beautiful Marie. My son’s name is Christian. His father picked his name since I had picked our daughter’s. Christian means follower of Christ.

• Shan says:

Shanon means wise one or little owl, most probably refers to an ancient Celtic deity Siona (SHAN-en) of the Irish river Shannon.
    Leanne means various things in different cultures: beautiful, climbing vine, thoughtful and serious, gracious meadows.

My parents named me Shanon after a 2nd cousin who named a child with that name and my mom loved it, and my middle name came from a friend who named her daughter Leanne and my mom loved the name.

My family nicknames are Shan and Pooh. LOL My dad nicknamed me Pooh and my sister still calls me that to this day. All my nieces call me Aunti Pooh and they are 17, 24 and 28! Lots of people, including family and friends, call me Shan. I like both nicknames.

My daughter’s first and middle names came from derivations of my and my husband’s best friends, my son was named after a character in a book that I fell in love with when I was 13 and his middle name came from my first real boy friend who passed away when I was 15 and my husband’s very good friend who also had the same name. My youngest son’s first name was simply a name I liked and his middle name he got from his great grandfather. He was born on his 70th birthday in the same town his grampy was born in. His middle name is also his grampy’s middle name.

• Kelly (WV) says:

My parents named me Kelly after my Dad’s friend Robert Kelly. My Mom loved the name Kelly. The nickname given by my Dad’s friends when I was real little was “Little Bella,” which Bella is my Mom’s name. I don’t know why they called me that, but I look back at it now and love it, because she has been the light that kept leading me to God. She is a beautiful Woman of God in every aspect of her life and I hope I can be the example to my children that she has always been to me. Lastly, my children’s names have very different stories. My daughter’s name Camri-Morgan is the result of a conversation I had with a co-worker/friend at the age of 18 about people with the same name as a car. We decided to make some new ones, hence Camri (Camry). Thankfully 8 years later, my husband loved the name just as much as I did. If I gave meaning to the name Camri, it would be creative child of God! My son Daniel Edward is named after my Daddy and my husband’s Dad.

• Tina says:

My name is Tina Marie, my parents named me after the song “Tina Marie” sang by Perry Como back in the 60’s.. when I looked Tina up.. it just came back as nick name for Christina.. and others

• Patricia W. says:

My mother told me when I was a little girl that I was named after her favorite doll when she was growing up. Her name was Patricia and she loved her so much that she knew that when she had her little girl that her name would be the same. My middle name was her mothers middle name (Ann). I have a picture of my mother as a little girl holding her favorite doll “Patricia”.

The name Patricia (in Latin means Noble One and in English means Noble Woman). Ann (English means Gracious, Favor or Grace and in Hebrew it means Prayer). My maiden name is McCluskey. The name comes from Northern Ireland and has a Celtic origin. The religious origin is Christian and the family crest colors mean (gold: generosity, white: sincerity and peace and green: hope, loyalty in love). My married name is Wilson (very common name from Scotland and Ireland). It seems to mean “son of Will” with Will meaning Desire, Helmet and Protection. Now when I put all these together I get:
    NOBLE WOMAN WHO IS GRACIOUS, GENEROUS, SINCERE AND LOYAL IN LOVE who married a man who had a DESIRE TO PUT ON THE HELMET OF SALVATION TO PROTECT.

• Irmarelie says:

Hi Christine, I’m still waiting to receive an email of my small group leader. Please let me know who is my leader and what to do. Thanks for your help!

• Leigh Anne says:

My mother named me Leigh Anne because a neighbor had a daughter with that name, she had never heard it before and she thought it was pretty . Leigh means “meadow” in English. Anne means “favour” or “gracious” in Hebrew. Growing up I had a nickname of “Cissy”, which my brother started to call me because he had a hard time pronouncing Leigh Anne. Several family members still call me Cissy, which I have never minded. It’s kinda funny, for a while my son called his sister Cissy.

• Tawnya Kraus says:

My name is Tawnya. My mom named me after a deer in a book! I was never too thrilled about that. The book (and the deer) is “Tawny.” My middle name, Jane, is my mom’s middle name.
    We named our daughter (3) Sarah Joy because we had to wait several years for her to come along, we love that it means “princess” and because Sarah in the Bible was beautiful & faithful. Her middle name, Joy, is because of the joy God gave us when He blessed us with her! It’s pretty amazing that she radiates joy- even my midwife commented on how happy the baby was in my womb whenever she listened to the heartbeat…. Our son (7 mos) is named William, after my husband. My husband is called Will & our son is called Liam (the 1st & last haves of the name ) : ). His middle name, Noah, is because of righteous Noah in the Bible who trusted & obeyed God in a sinful world. We pray our son will stand for the Lord as well.

• Sally says:

My parents chose my name because it is a derivitive of Sarah. Which is what my sister wanted to name me. Both of them mean princess. My middle name is Ann and my Father called me Annie when I was little. I did not like being called Annie but that is what my Dad called me. Somebody at work calls me salgal I dont mind that. I dont have any children. But my sister named her youngest daughter Sarah cause she really likes that name I guess.

• Victoria says:

Why did your parents select your name and what is the meaning of your name?
    My first name is Victoria meaning Victorious. My middle name is Oriana and I know my mom chose that name because it was the title of a romance novel she was reading while pregnant with me 🙂

Did your family every give you a nickname? Did you like or dislike it?
    I had a few nicknames- Vikki (my grandparents, parents and siblings called me) But I prefer Victoria 🙂
    And my older sister calls me Pickle, lol. My best friend from high school, Casi, calls me Tori or Toribell.

How did you select the name (s) of your children?
    My husband had a lot of influence- he loves Colorado and he loves to hunt- so our daughter is Aspen and our son is Hunter 🙂

• Sarah D says:

My parents named me Sarah Elizabeth. My mother had wanted to name me Mary, but a woman she didn’t care for who had that name kept gushing over how my parents were naming me after her, so mom changed her mind : ) Sarah means princess which made me feel special as a little girl. They are also both biblical names and examples of great women and mothers. I teased my parents by saying the one thing Sarah and Elizabeth both had in common is having a child at an old age. I hope that doesn’t happen to me! I have three children and we ended up giving them all old testament first names: Josiah, Gideon, and Esther. I wanted names that were unique but not to strange. It was also important to give them each a strong name with good character. Each of these figures gives a good example of faith and standing for God among a sinful world.

• Erica says:

My name, Erica, means honorable or eternal ruler. I have been told I am bossy more than once, but I prefer the title leader. 🙂 My mother, like Christine’s, heard it on a soap opera and liked it. Can you guess which one? I had never looked up my middle name Renee, it means reborn! How awesome is that. The interesting part is I share the same middle name as my mother and grandmother, and I was not reborn until after I was in college. My maiden name is Klingler. I was always told our ancestors were sword makers in Germany and that was the sound of two swords “clinging” together.
    My children all have Biblical names, but we chose the more unusual names. Our two daughters are Chloe and Claudia and our two sons are Urban and (alex)Xander. We chose family names for their middle names, Chloe’s is Renee of course 🙂

• Sequellah{sakilah} says:

Why did your parents select your name and what is the meaning of your name? My father gave me my name. he cant remember the meaning or why. so i looked it up and it means: secondary consequence.

• Sharon Waltman says:

Sharon in Hebrew means a flat clearing… Hm. Don’t know if I actually live up to that one lol. Tova is my middle name and it’s Hebrew for “good”. At least that one I work towards every day. I never really had a nickname. Well my aunt and my parents shortened it to Shar, so maybe that shortens the meaning to “flat”? My three kids do not have biblical names, I really just liked the sound of them. We are brewing baby number 4 though and we have a strong feeling it is a boy. If so we will name him Joshua. Joshua means, God is Salvation. No wonder it’s been on my heart so strongly!

• Kim Baker says:

My name is Kimberly and it is of the English origin. Its meaning is “From the wood of the royal forest. From the royal fortress meadow.” Many people call me Kim, but as I grew up many called me “Kimmy”. I didn’t like this nickname too much at all, however as an adult somehow I end up getting called that at work many times. It doesn’t bother me as much as it did when I was younger. My daughter’s name was selected just because I liked it Brittany Rachelle. She however does wonder why I gave her a fad name. Once in a dance class of 6 girls, 3 had the name Brittany. My son has my husband’s first name as his middle name and his first name is Kameron with a “K” for me. He now always has to specify his name is Kameron with a “K”.

• Sharon says:

My name means ‘the plain’ & I’ve always hated the meaning – even though its reffering to a field rather than being boring! But I found a website the other day which said it is used in the Bible as a synonym for something Fair and Good – the Rose of Sharon. Which I like much better!

My nicknames were always mean & used as insults. So no, I didn’t like my nicknames!

We decided not to name our children after family – as they were all so desperate for their names to be put in, we didn’t want to play favourites! haha. We chose names that we liked that had good wholesome meanings. My daughters names mean Pure & Free. My sons name means defender of man & enthusiastic. 🙂

• Christine Smith says:

Rose of Sharon sounds beautiful to me! 🙂 I like the way you solved the family naming issue.

1. My name Lauren Ann Griffith Bates- found several meanings for Lauren. I’d always heard crowned by laurel leaves,but some websites said, “a flower, something beautiful” but I also found that it was originially used to mean “Man from Laurentum”, a city in Italy… and is the female form of Lawrence. My Mom named me Lauren because of an actress on the Love Boat, and she had never heard the name. That year, she met a little girl in kindergarten at the school where she taught named Lauren… who later became a cousin-in-law. Funny that she had never heard it, yet here we are good friends and almost family. Ann means “grace or favor”. I dont’ know why she named me that, but I like it. So if you put them together… Beautiful grace. Love that! Griffith means strong cheif and is Welsch in origin. Bates, my married name, means “Son of small hill” and is English in origin, a shortening of the name Bartholomew.
    2. No nickname…
    3. My son’s name is Wallace Caleb. Wallace is a family name… he is named after many generations in his Dad’s family. It’s also his Dad’s name. I chose Caleb because I liked the sound of it and it had a biblical connotation of faith and obedience. His name means, “foreigner- man from Wales” and “faith, devotion, whole-hearted.”

• Christine Smith says:

I’m old enough to remember the “Love Boat” show…I loved it as a kid. When I was older I started going on cruises with my husband…until we had kids and ran out of money. 😉

• Penny says:

My name is Penny Kay. Penny is dimutive of Penelope. penny means “Silent Worker” and Penelope means “Dream Weaver.” My middle name Kay means “Rejoice.” I had never looked up my middle name, and was so happy with its meaning. No nicknames for me. I guess Penny was enough. My father told me that when I was born he reached into his pocket and pulled out a penny and that is what they named me. Not sure if that is true or if he made it up just for me. My children are Daniel – :God is my Judge” and Jennifer -“White Wave.” My dad always loved the name Daniel so I chose it for my son. My daughter was named by my husband. It is amazing to me that these names all link into who we are and what we like. We are workers, dreamers, rejoiceful, know that God is our judge, and we love the ocean and the waves. They just seem to fit. Isn’t God amazing.

• Christine Smith says:

The names fit and when you look back you see how God created them all as a unit or puzzle. I’m reminded of Psalm 139

• April says:

My name is April (an opening (of a womb), beginning, or breath of spring) Victoria (because their prayer was for me to be victorious in Christ) – ironically also the first and last names on my parents’ alphabetical list of girl names. My nickname growing up was, and still is, ladybug – don’t know where it came from, but I’ve always liked it.

My husband and I named our 6 children with Biblical names paired with family names to honor past generations.

• Christine Smith says:

I nick-named my daughter “bumblebee” and the other daughter “cricket.” One daughter never stopped talking and the other one used very sharp words! Now that they’re old enough to know the meaning of the nicknames I don’t use them anymore. 🙂

• Elizabeth says:

1.Why did your parents select your name and what is the meaning of your name?
    my mother said she desired strong women’s names and survivors for her girls, both biblical and pioneer – hence for me “Elizabeth Anne”
    2.Did your family every give you a nickname? Did you like or dislike it?
    yes, “Lizzy” My cousin nicknamed me “Lizzy the Lion” because I cried so much as an infant.
    Never liked it much til I was older and now i enjoy being called it, although not many call me it anymore.
    3.How did you select the name (s) of your children?
    Each of our children has a traditional / biblical first name and a grandparent’s name as a middle name, except the last child who has his father’s name as a middle name.

• Christine Smith says:

You mom wanted “strong women’s names and survivors for her girls, both biblical and pioneer”…no pressure, right! Did you live on a farm?

• Laura says:

My name is Laura Elise. Laura meaning a crown of laurel leaves and chosen by my dad from Mary Tyler Moore’s character on the Dick Van Dyke Show. Elise is a form of Elizabeth meaning God’s promise/oath. That name was from one of my relatives in Germany (My grandfather came to the US in 1929).

My oldest daugter is named Corinne Paige. My husband and I went through a baby name book and picked names that we liked. He and I both have very popular names and we wanted something different that not every one would have. Corinne means maiden

Our youngest daughter is named Autumn Elizabeth. Autumn for the season and Elizabeth for God’s promise. We had a long wait for her as I had secondary infertility issues and Elizabeth just seemed right both for the meaning and also from Elise.

• Robin Howard says:

Why did your parents select your name and what is the meaning of your name?
    My name is Robin Virginia Livesay-Howard. I was going to be named Robert after my great grandfather bug when my parents got the call from the adoption agency they told them it was a girl, so I was named Robin. Virginia comes from my maternal grandmother who passed away about 12 years ago, I was 27 when she passed. Livesay comes from my adoptive father. Howard is my married name. Robin means “Famous Brillance”, Virginia means “Pure”.
    Did your family every give you a nickname? Did you like or dislike  it? I never had one that I remember
    How did you select the name (s) of your children? My oldest son is Michael he was named after my dad and Sean is his middle name I just liked how they sounded together, then i had twins, my daughters name is Michele Sara, I picked her name because I like the name Michele and I wanted my kids to have the same initials, my son is named mason storm, it is from the movie hard to kill.

• Alana C says:

1. Why did your parents select your name and what is the meaning of your name?
    My parents selected my name Alana out of a book of baby names. There was no real reason for the choice of Sue as my middle name besides it sounded good together & my oldest girl cousin’s middle name is the same.

Alana means Little Rock. Alana is of Celtic origin. It is used mainly in English & Irish. It’s derived from alun ‘harmony’; al ‘rock’. Alana is the feminine form of the English, German and Scottish Alan. Alana is also a Hawaiian name meaning “afloat, calm as still waters.” Alana is also a Russian name meaning “light.”

Sue means Lily. Sue is of English origin and a variant of Susannah. In the apocryphal Book of Tobit Susannah courageously defended herself against wrongful accusation. White lilies grew in the Biblical city of Susa of Persia.

Linquist – unable to find the meaning of my maiden last name.

Carpenter means one who works(ed) with wood.

2. Did your family ever give you a nickname? Did you like or dislike it?

I never had a nickname but I always thought it would be neat to have one.

3. How did you select the name(s) of your children?

My oldest daughter’s name is Tiffany Nicole and my youngest daughter’s name is Emma Faith. For Tiffany, I had decided on two names because I liked the way they sounded together. Once I had decide on the names, I never wavered even though many people tried to get me interested in other names. I chose one for a boy and one for a girl. I was blessed with Tiffany Nicole. Tiffany means ‘manifestation of God’ in Greek origin and in Latin origin it means ‘Three, the Trinity.’ Nicole means “victory of the people’ in Greek origin. When I looked this up I was blown away with the meaning. I had no idea and yet it’s such a beautiful Godly name.

For Emma, I really liked the name Faith and wanted to use it but I wasn’t sure what would go with it. I tried numerous different names and Tiffany actually ended up with Emma and I fell in love with the name. This time I didn’t choose any boy names because I felt destined to have another precious baby girl. Emma means ‘all-containing, universal’ in the German origin and Faith means ‘faith, confidence, belief’ in English origin. ‘All-containing faith’ is so fitting for Emma.

When Emma was 6 ½ months old she was shaken and diagnosed with Shaken Baby Syndrome. The next 2 weeks were touch and go and also very, very stressful to say the least; however, she made a full recovery which is beyond miraculous. At the time she was about 2 and speaking better my mom, Tiffany and I were putting a puzzle together of Jesus (which we then glue together and framed). Emma came up to the table and asked, “Who that?” I responded, “This is Jesus.” Emma said, “I know Him.” I responded, “How do you know Him?” She said, “He hold my hand when I was hurt.” My mom and I looked at each other and we just cried and I hugged Emma for a long time before I let go.

• April Sheffield says:

My first name, April means “open/open-minded”; my middle name, Michelle is a variation of Michael, which means “who is like God”; and my last name, Sheffield means “open land/open country”. My oldest is Deborah Allison, Deborah after my mother and Allison because I wanted a daughter I could nickname “Alli”. My daughter Jordan Leeann, Jordan because I wanted a daughter with a boys name (lol) and Leeann because both her grandmothers middle names are Ann, and her dads middle name is Lee, and initials JL after my papa JL. My son Gregory Hunter, Gregory after his dad, Hunter because his dad hunted a lot. My son Austin Levi because I loved those names together.

• Jennifer Shepard says:

My maiden name is Jennifer Lavern Koonce. I was told by my parents that I was named after my mother and grandmother. My first name is Jennifer because my mother’s name is Jeannette, my middle name is Lavern because my grandmother’s name is Verna. When I researched the meaning of my names I found that Jennifer means “fair one”, my middle name means “born in the spring” and my last name meant “bold, counsel”. I found this to be very interesting and truly indicative of me for the most part, 2 out of 3 isn’t bad….I wasn’t born in the spring but closely enough I was born in the summer. I really enjoyed this activity and even looked up the meanings for my oldest two children (my youngest was purposefully given his name because of the meaning because he was truly a miracle to us). I found that my daughter Jeanetta’s name means “God is gracious”, my daughter Kiara’s name means “bright; famous” and last but not least my son Jayden’s name means “God has heard”.

• Melissa says:

My name. Melissa is Greek and means honey
    bee. In Ireland it means Servant of Jesus.
    Very ironic my parents did not know Jesus but are
    Irish. Not sure if they knew the meaning when
    they named me.
    M of Melissa’s Musings A Blog

• Michelle says:

My full name is Michelle Lee Bentien Hyman. My name Michelle was given to me because my Dad’s name is Michael; a strong name like the archangel, Michael and that because someone born with a tinge of red hair has to be strong. Mom said I looked like a “Michelle”. 🙂 Online Michelle means “is like God”. My middle name is the same as my mom’s, Lee. Online it says it is Old English and means meadow or pasture. My maiden name Bentien does not show up online, unknown. I know I am German descent so maybe it was changed alot and lost it’s original spelling so can’t track it down. My married name Hyman originates from the Hebrew word “khayim” meaning life. I like that my name is strong, I also like that my middle name means meadow or pasture, cause I like to keep the verse, “The Lord is My Shepard…” in my head!

• b says:

Bonnie is a Scottish word for “fine, attractive, pretty”. The old nursery rhyme claims that “the child who is born on the Sabbath Day/is bonny and blithe and good and gay”, which makes this an appropriate name for a Sunday’s child. Elizabeth or Elisabeth is the Greek transliteration of the Hebrew name Elisheva, meaning “God’s promise (vow) “, “oath of God”,”awesome one”, or “I am God’s daughter”. i was named after my Aunt Bonnie and mother Elizabeth. Both names feel slightly beyond reach at the moment.

• Adele-Alys says:

My full name is Adele-Alys Claudette Josephine. Adele, which means filled with courage and moral character,is for my maternal Grandmother. Alys, which is a variation of Alice and means truthful, is for my father’s Aunt. Claudette is a feminization of Claude (my paternal grandfather) and means lame. I am amazed by this discovery, especially because my signature healing story is the paralytic by Solomon’s portico in John. I too spent exactly 38 years (from age 17 to age 55) on hold after my sister and only sibling was killed in an auto accident. The Josephine honors my mother’s sister and means “the Lord increases.” Indeed, Jesus has worked wonders in my life since I found my way back to Him.

• Christine Smith says:

I’ve been seeing your name quite often in the Womens Bible Cafe and always wondered about it’s unique meaning. How amazing to have the meaning so entwined into your history!

• Carol Scholl says:

Why did your parents select your name and what is the meaning of your name?
    I was named after an actress named Carol Lynley. She was popular in the 1950-60’s? In English, Carol means song and related to Christmas. Lynn means teil tree (linden or lime-tree) is a tall evergreen tree commonly growing in Palestine. Teil trees were used as landmarks and in designating places. In winter when the teil and the oak trees shed their leaves and appear dead, their life-giving substance is still within them, and they shall bud and bloom in time. In the same way, the holy seed is the substance of the children of Israel (Isa 6:13). But I also like Christine’s version of Lynn meaning “water feature or pool” since I am a fly fisher. I am Japanese descent and I was told that my maiden name “Ota” means big or little field which brings a smile to my face since I come from a long line of farmers.
    Did your family every give you a nickname? Did you like or dislike it? When I was little for a short time, my brother couldn’t say my name so he called me Kiko. I don’t really remember it but It didn’t stick to the dismay of my Mom.
    How did you select the name (s) of your children? My children already had their first names so we gave them their middle names Caitlin (girl) and Joshua (boy). I always liked these names.

• Marilyn says:

Marilyn = english, variant of Marie = bitter
    Renee = French = reborn
    Sims = gracious hearing

I was named after my grandmother.

• Marilyn says:

Oops!

Nicknames: nope

Children = my daughter is Hannah Renelle Hannah means Grace and Renelle is a form of Renee meaning reborn. ( My husband and I were baptized when I was pregnant, so for us it was saying that because of this child we learned about Christ and who He is (Grace Reborn))

my son is Isaac David Isaac means laughing one and David means chosen one. Isaac was a blessing that we thought we could not have.

• Kelly says:

Why did your parents select your name and what is the meaning of your name?
    I am adopted. When the agency called my folks they told them they had a set of twins and did they want them. Of course they did! They were told we had red hair so Mom and Dad chose Irish names, assuming we must be Irish. Later it was discovered we are Swedish, dutch and German. My twins name is Kim and mine is Kelly.

Did your family every give you a nickname? Did you like or dislike it?
    Dad called me “Keller-the-Beller”. He called my twin, “Kimmer-the-Bim”

How did you select the name (s) of your children?
    We chose bible names with good meanings. Our oldest means “pleasant one of the lord” our middle daughters name means “Conquer Judged by God” and our sons name means “Appointed Son of my right hand”

• Danielle Dayton says:

Danielle means “God is my judge” and my middle name Nicole means “Victorious People”

My dad calls me Twinkie. I don’t remember where the nickname came from but he’s always called me that. I like it a lot better than my sister’s nickname for me. She called me Scrappy due to a period in 6th grade when I wasn’t fond of showering. Thankfully she doesn’t call me that anymore! 🙂

• Debbie says:

My maiden name was Debra Dee Moorman. My Dad chose the name. I am one of 3 girls and our names all start witj “D” and we all rhyme; Denise Lee , Dawn Marie, and Debra Dee. I believe my name is what it is because it fit the criteria. As cute as the idea is, when Dad got mad he could never get the right name out, so I became Sam. The full nickname was Samathie Aloeishes Jones Moorman, I truely have no idea where all that came from, Sam for short. I actually liked the nickname, however when Daddy died, the nickname died too. So, I go by Deb or Debbie now.

• Kathleen in Phoenix, AZ says:

Why did your parents select your name and what is the meaning of your name?
    I was named after my Grandmother (my dad’s mother) Katie Lee Farmer. I was born Kathleen = pure (Irish); Lee = dweller at or near a meadow / clearing (English); Gardner = one who tended an orchard or house garden (English). I have always gone by Kathleen. Growing up there were lots of Kathy’s, but I was the only Kathleen.

Did your family ever give you a nickname? Did you like or dislike it?
    The only nickname I have ever had is “Wingie”. This name was given to me by my mother. I don’t know how she came up with this name for me, but it has always been dear to me. This may also be what planted the longing for wings in my mind at an early age. When I was 6 years old, I clearly remember asking for a magical wand and angel’s wings for Christmas. My mother handled my request with great resourcefulness and wisdom. The wand she made for me with dowel, a star and lots of glitter. It was the most wonderous gift I ever remember receiving and as magical as could be. As for the wings, my mother loving explained to me that this would indeed be a marvelous thing for me to have, but if I were to receive wings I would have to fly away and could no longer stay with her. This convinced me that I was not at all ready for wings yet. Now, almost 50 years later, I realize that I’m still longing for those wings, and that I am no longer fearful of flying into His arms when He is ready for me to come home to him.

How did you select the name (s) of your children?
    My daughter who received her wings and flew into God’s arms on March 19, 2009 was named Kathryn (Katie) Michelle: “Pure; who is like God”. She was named after me and my husband (Michael) and from the day she was conceived she was dear to us and surround by our love. She had a remarkably deep and personal relationship with Jesus. Her faith truly inspired and blessed all who knew her.
    My son’s name is Michael “Kasey”: “He who is like God; brave”. He was named after my husband and myself (a good Irish name spelled with a K), so that he too may be surrounded by our love. Like his name, our Kasey, has become a brave and godly young man. He is such a blessing! Praise Yah!

• Nikki Short says:

My maiden name is Nichole Deanna Kaufman. I asked my parents many many years ago how they came up with my name but I don’t remember why. I looked up the meaning of my name today and Nichole is the feminine version of Nicholas which is French for people’s victory or victorious in Greek. Deanna means divine or from the valley and Kaufman is German and means one who dealt in merchandise or a merchant. I haven’t always lived a very Christian life but I am truly love being a woman of faith now and hope that I will live up to my name and be victorious at keeping God in my heart at all times and live a divine life.

• Alicia says:

1. My parents chose my name by looking through a baby name book until they found one they liked. When I asked then why they chose Alicia, they said that they liked how it sounded.

2. I didn’t really have any nicknames from family. My friends tried to give me a nickname, but few stuck around for long.

3. When naming our boys, my husband and I put a lot of thought into it. We gave our boys both Biblical first names, and family middle names. Our older son shares a middle name with my husband and his father. Our younger son shares a middle name with my father and grandfather. I wanted their names to have meaning, so I made sure I liked the meanings behind their names, too.

• Sheree Poole says:

Our Pastor is preaching on the Ten Commandments over the next few weeks, and yesterday he preached on Exodus 20:7, “You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses His name” (NIV). And the version I grew up on, “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain…” (NAS). What a perfect intro into our Bible study on “Knowing God by Name.” Our Pastor brought up some ways we are probably all guilty in misusing God’s name that I had no idea was inappropriate. I have been guilty of saying “gosh” or “jeez” and even “golly” and little did I realize that these are word substitutions for God, and therefore, we are misusing God’s name. He told us to look up the meaning of these words, so I did. Here’s what I found out:

“Gosh” is an euphemistic alteration of God.
    “Jeez” is an euphemistic shortening of Jesus.
    “Golly” is an euphemistic alteration of God.

Wow!!! What an eye opener. So those words have now been dismissed from my vocabulary. From now on I will just simply say, “WOW.” We have to be careful how we use God’s name, remembering to always keep His name holy. I just thought I would pass that bit of information on, because it really hit home with me.

Now, to answer the questions…

My name is Sheree. It is French and it means “Dear One.” I love that because I feel I am dear to God and that is what He calls me. My mother selected my name from a movie star she liked named Sheree North. I don’t think she really knew what my name meant, she just liked Sheree North and the way it was spelled. Sheree is spelled so many different ways, i.e., Sherry, Cherie, Cheri, Sheri, Sherrie, etc., and my name has been misspelled so many times over the years. I really don’t even correct anyone anymore unless it’s very important that it’s spelled correctly. I have never been given a nickname. Not one that ever stuck anyway…LOL.

How did I select the names of my children? All my four children’s names begin with “J”. There’s no magical way their names were selected…I wish I could say I researched their names to get the meanings. I’m going to research all their names to see if the meanings fit. However, two of my children have family names. My youngest daughter has my middle name, and my youngest son is named after his great grandfather on his dad’s side.

• When my mom picked out the name Heather for me, she thought it was pretty and original. It turned out to be the most popular name the year I was born! So much for being unique.

I wasn’t always sure I liked it so much. My brothers all had deep spiritual meaning behind their names and mine just means “flower” as in the actual flower Heather that grows on the moors in Scotland. So much for meaning something special.

But over time I began to think of flowers in general as a way that God created beauty and I so very much long to be beautiful—not outwardly for show, but beautiful inside, beautiful to God and showing His glory to the world.

• Stephanie says:

1.Why did your parents select your name and what is the meaning of your name?
    I was named after Stephanie Powers from “Heart to Heart”.

2.Did your family every give you a nickname? Did you like or dislike it?
    My only nickname was Stephy…I didn’t mind it when I was little. But when I got older I didn’t like anyone calling me by that name. Only one person got away with it and it’s because I absolutely love him!

3.How did you select the name (s) of your children?
    I chose the name Caleb when I was little. I just always loved that name. Steven was chosen by a random act. I was at 34 weeks and we still didn’t have a name. We were watching a TV show and liked the name, so there you go! Sofia was named because of the meaning of the name (wisdom).

• evie730 says:

1. My parents named me Yvette. It is a french name meaning archer.

2. My sister gave me the nickname Evie and it has stuck with me all these years. I like the name.

• Renee says:

Why did your parents select your name and what is the meaning of your name?

My name is Renee Nicole Clark. My mother named me. It is very interesting that this is one of our first questions. When in my early teen years, I became very intrigued into how I was named and actually asked my mother.

Rebirth (Renee), Leader of a Victorious People (Nicole), and Scholar (Clark) are the meanings of each name. So many of us do not realize how powerful our names are. So to my amazement when I researched the meaning of my name in high school, how fitting I felt my name given by my mother was. My first name, Renee, my mother had fawned over while reading a European inspired romance novel. My middle name, Nicole, she took from her brother, my uncle, Nicholas. My last name initially was Bullock and was later changed after hassling with the deemed authorities to Clark. So the name I have lived with has been Renee Nicole Clark. Rebirth. Leader of a Victorious People. Scholar.

• Monica, NY. says:

My parents were going to let me 1st name be Leah, but decided on Monica instead. My middle name is Ruth after my beloved grandmother. I use to not like that name growing up & felt it was an “old” sounding name. lol! I love it now, however, since learning about whom she was named after. 🙂
    My grandmother nicknamed me “doe-doe” as a child. It was a term of endearment she used. She lived right next door to us & I loved her dearly & visited her daily. She named me that, because she said I reminded her of a sweet little graceful dear coming down the hill to her house.
    I remember one day, I brought a friend w/ me to her house to visit her when I was in high school. My grandmother called me by my nickname.(which I loved btw) in front of my friend. My friend was like..”What did she call you??”..lol!! Needless to say, I told my grandmother to not address me by my nickname in front of friends anymore.

• Irmarelie says:

I was named Irmarelie by my mother. She told me that she received my name from God when she was 16 years old. My name is composed of 2 names: Irma + Arelie. I’ve always been told that my name is unique and never before thought of looking at the meaning of the 2 names that composed it. So, this is the first time I’ve searched for the meaning of my name. It was a real surprise to find out that my name means: Irma = Devoted to God + Arelie = God’s lion or Mount of my god. (I think that not even my mother knew the meanings of my name. LOL!) I googled Mounts devoted to God and found Mount Sinai/Horeb. This was the holy mountain at which the Ten Commandments were given to Moses by God. Some scholars describe the mountain as a volcano. I think that this can explain the nature of my explosive character ;). Also, I found that this was the mountain where the Israelites gathered in anticipation of the words of God. This fact opened my eyes and made me understand why I’m always anticipating what God have to say to me. WOW! God is so incredible! I’m so thankful for God giving my mom that name and to be blessed me with it.

• Daenel T says:

My name is Daenel Arkese Vaughn. I have no idea what my mother was thinking. Actually that’s not completely true. I’m a twin and my mom wanted our names to match without being cutesy, so we are Daenel and Shontel. The middle name is a mystery to all involved. Not even my mother has an explanation.

As a kid, I hated all of my names except for my last name, so I had my friends call me “Dani.” also I got tired of being called “Darlene”, there isn’t even an “R” in my first name.

My children were named after characters in books, a friend’s child and by chance.

• Christina Shubert says:

I am not sure why my parents selected my first name, Christina, or called me “Chrissy”. The meaning and orgin of Christina is different among websites. The meanings that I found are “follower of Christ” , “Christ bearer” and “The Christian.” My middle name, Renee, means “reborn or born again”. I believe my names reflect my heart.

1. Why did your parents select your name and what is the meaning of your name?

I was supposed to be a boy and my parents had picked out the name Anthony Ray Wilt to follow the initials of my dad’s name which is Arthur Ray Wilt. Instead I was a girl (!) so they changed my name to Angela Fay Wilt! I have always loved that story…

Angela is derived from the same origin as the vocabulary word ‘Angel’ – angels being the messengers of God.

2. Did your family ever give you a nickname? Did you like or dislike it?

My family has always called me Angie. My coworkers and friends a lot of times shorten my name even further to just Ang. I’m happy with either one. Not so much do I like being called Angela though because, as is the practice a lot of times for parents, I was only called Angela when I was in trouble!

3. How did you select the name(s) of your children?

In keeping with the sort of “tradition” started by my dad, I named my son Austin Ray Wilt. My dad wanted me to name him Anthony but I was pretty sure everyone would shorten it to Tony and for some reason I just didn’t think I would like my son being called Tony.

• Liana says:

My name is Liana Ruth (manning) Velez. I don’t know the exact reason my parent’s chose the name Liana. There are 8 children in my family and we all have an L name. My parent’s wanted musical names so they named my oldest sister Lyric, but then had a boy and were stumped so they just continued with L names. 🙂 Liana means a few different things. In Hebrew it means My God Has Answered, in French it means Bond, in Spanish it means Youthful and in English it means Vine. Think of Tarzan… do you remember the vines he would swing from tree to tree with? Those vines are called Liana’s. 🙂 I was named after my Grandma with my middle name. I was not a big fan of the name Ruth but it has grown on me and my Grandma means the world to me so I am honored to have been named after her. In Hebrew Ruth means Friend or Companion.
    My Grandma calls me Ana some times, but other than that I don’t have any nicknames, which is odd. You’d think with 7 siblings I would have some kind of nick name.
    I don’t have any children yet.. prayerfully very soon. When I do have children though, I want them to have strong godly names with meanings that help shape and mold their walks with the LORD.

• Christine Smith says:

What an interesting history of family names! Praying for your home to be blessed with children soon. 🙂

• joannna says:

my parents are both gone so I have no idea other than they had chosen to give us all naames starting with J either first or middle but with me both. Joanna is a Hebrew name by orgin and it means God is Gracious. my middle name joyce is a Latin name by orgin and it means merry. my last name is derived from the given name Stephen and means crown, wreath, or garland. and it is a Engish name by orgin.
    When I was young I use to hate my name because I had trouble pronouncing it, but as an andult I learn to likee it. my mom and dad called me Janny as a nick name. and my sister started calling me jo and that is what I go by now.

• Christine Smith says:

Wow I love the story and history behind your name! You are a gracious and merry Daughter of the King. 🙂

• Evet says:

Why did your parents select your name and what is the meaning of your name? My dad chose my name and the story he has told me is that he met a woman overseas when he was in the Navy and he loved the name. Not sure if this was before he married my mom. He wanted my name to be different. Not sure what the meaning of my name is cause it is so hard to find.
    Did your family every give you a nickname? Did you like or dislike it? My family gave me the nickname of pee waded cause I used to wet to bed all the time when I was younger! I know its not funny or very nice! I hated my nickname!
    How did you select the name (s) of your children? We decided just something simple,Justin and Jacob.

• Christine Smith says:

I like the “J” theme for your sons names. I’ve never met an “Evet” though I did have an “Yvette” in my high school class. Interesting name. How about your middle name, did you search that?

• Kari says:

I am so confused on how to reply and answer these questions. I assume Christine that you are my small group leader but im not sure. Hahaha I feel ridiculous that I can’t figure this out:) someone please help me out.

• Christine Smith says:

I’m not leading small groups, check your email and see if you have a welcome message from your leader. Look in the spam folder…sometimes it’s tucked away in mail.google.com and you have to dig to find your spam folder. You will answer the questions here on the site, and join your small group leader for a more intimate discussion. Everyone is new at least once…so please ask questions if you have them and read the Getting Started page here:

• Tara says:

My parents named me Tara because it was the only name they could agree on! It means tower, meeting place of kings, or queen depending upon the language you are translating from. I never really had a nickname but never really liked my name. As I got older, I grew to appreciate it more.
    We named our daughter Grace Elizabeth. We had difficulty getting pregnant for a number of years and the month before she was conceived, I had a dream telling me that we would have a healthy baby girl, so I was convinced from when we found out about the pregnancy that it was a girl. Later, when I was pregnant, I woke up with the name “Grace Elizabeth” in my thoughts. I always liked the name Grace, but later when I looked up the meanings of both, Grace translates as “blessings” or “thanks” and Elizabeth means “God’s promise”. It reminds me to be thankful for God’s grace and the blessing that is my daughter. She was also born early and has a number of health scares still to defeat. It also reminds me to have faith in God’s promise that she will be healthy.

• Christine Smith says:

I love the story of your daughter’s name. Isn’t it amazing when God places thoughts into our hearts and we act in obedience. Each day you say her name you are reminded that she is a blessing from God. How beautiful and inspiring!

• Tamera says:

Oh, the Spirit pours over me when I think of the scripture – The righteous shall flourish like the palm trees! And I also like to think what an honor for the palm tree (and for me) that palms were spread on the road before Jesus as he road in on the donkey! Understandin my name is wonderful but I can hardly wait to get into the study of Knowing God by Name! This is going to be an incredible time!!! I’m shouting!

• Tamera says:

Interesting that I already posted about my name on the Getting to Know Each Other page when we signed up for this study. My dad named me Tamera Leigh and I have to say that it was a truly inspired name. Both names come from the Hebrew and it was interesting that they go hand-in-hand. I have understood the meaning of my first name for many years – Hebrew translates to Palm Tree. The palm tree is an awesome study in and of itself but briefly – the palm tree is a strong, enduring tree because of it’s deep root system. It can withstand the most powerful winds, and although it bends to nearly breaking, it will come back and remain standing. My middle name is Leigh and I have never studied it out. Today I learned its a variant of Lee and it’s Hebrew translation is Sheltered from the Storm. Wow – that is so true! I have to say the names my earthly father gave me were certainly significant in my life. Have to admit though – I love the names my heavenly Father has given me even more!
    My children were name before I became a Christian. Daughter is named Anika which is a Scandinavian name closely related to Ann which in Hebrew translates He (God) has favored me. Next is Craig which means Rock. Is it any wonder he’s a Marine!!! Finally, Zachary – Jehova has remembered. I am so thankful God’s hand was on me even before I knew Him! I would be very disappointed had I named my children names that have a negative connotation.

• Christine Smith says:

I remember when you shared about the Palm Tree…its a beautiful image. Just curious…have you ever done a scripture search on the word “palm” or “Palm tree” to see it’s biblical use? I love the way God uses imagery in His word. What did you find on palm tree verses?

• Julie says:

My name is Julie Anne (Malcom) Silva. My mom said she named me Julie Anne because she worked with a lady whose daughter’s name was Julie Ann and she liked it a lot. My mom’s middle name is Ann, no E on the end. She added the E on the end because my dad’s sister’s name is Mary Anne. She wanted to call me Julie Anne but another Aunt of mine, a very opinionated Aunt, talked her out of it! I have two nick names..My name is French and means Youthful! My maiden names means “Devotee of Columbia”.. some Scottish thing! lol… My dad calls me Jules and my nieces and nephews call me JuJu. I love both of my nick names! I also go by Nana to the cutest 2 year old in the world! I can’t remember why I named my son Christopher Chad. I guess I just liked it! I gave my son two options to pick from for my daughter..Kelley Anne or Anne Marie. He chose Kelley Anne!

• Christine Smith says:

I love the story of family names. I looked in my name book and saw Julie-Anne can also mean “young by God’s grace.” Does that fit you?

• Julie says:

I think it does fit me!! I am 47 and already a “Nana” to the cutest little 2 year old boy on the planet”…I love that I am young grandmother!!

• Heather says:

Hey there! My name is Heather in Alabama. He calls me Heathie.

• Joyce says:

Why did your parents select your name and what is the meaning of your name? My Dad named me. I have two older brothers and he wanted a girl. He always told me I was a joy to him.
    Did your family every give you a nickname? Did you like or dislike it? I had/have various nicknames. My brothers called me Brat because I was always in their business and most of my family call me Sis. I never knew why they called me that. I neither liked or disliked the names.
    How did you select the name (s) of your children? My mother named my oldest son Timothy and my sister in law named my youngest son Eric. I gave them the middle name of my brothers.

• Christine Smith says:

I love the story of your father calling you Joy. I didn’t have a dad like that…so I’m thankful for the reminder that I am a joy to God the Father. There are so many verse on Joy in the NIV bible- 242 to be exact. So we know where God’s heart is…He takes Joy in us!

• Melissa W says:

I’m not sure why my parents selected my name. My name is greek in origin and means “honey bee”. Growing up my family called me “Missy” and mostly still do, but I hated it because kids in my elementary school class would often rhyme it with “pissy” and so once I went to highschool in another town, I have gone by Melissa ever since. I have 3 sons and 1 daughter. Each one of them has a name from the Old testament and one from the New testament. I wanted to pick people in the bible that had the character qualities I wanted my children to look up to.

• Christine Smith says:

My named rhymed with “pissy” also and my family used it to tease me. I love that you named your children from scripture…

Share a comment with our readers!