Welcome to womens online bible study as we begin Knowing God By Name by Mary Kassian. While the bible reveals more than 100 names of God, this study will focus on 35 of them. “The purpose of this study is to get to know God better and trust Him more completely by exploring the many facets of His names. Such intimate knowledge will compel us to worship Him,” writes Mary. Our study will be divided into these name categories:
- Names of deity
- Names of character
- Names of power
- Names of authority
- Names of splendor
- Names of intimacy
- Names of sufficiency
Each week of study you’ll examine the names of God through your reading assignments. You’ll find flashcards for download (see the homework section below) or you can create your own using the template in the back of your workbook.
You’ll also explore the meaning of your own name- first, middle, last and maiden (before your were married). You can ask your parents (if living) why they named you, and also explore the internet for sites to research the meaning of your name.
I remember asking my mom why she named me “Christine” and she said she heard the name on a soap opera and liked it. My maiden name is “Abraham” and while I was attending Catholic schools as a child my standard tests always said “Christ Abraham.” No pressure, right? Today my caller ID on the phone reads “Christ Smith” and it makes people smile.
As I explored the meaning of my name on internet sites, I discovered Christine means “one who believes in Christ” and that really defines me. Lynn, my middle name, means “water feature or pool” and that does NOT describe me. I think I’ll continue searching….according to Wiki “since the 1960’s Lynn is the most common middle name for females.” Thankfully I was not born to celebrity parents or my name might be “Blue Ivy” or “Echo.” I’m sure they’d never consider “Sin Halo Jude” though it was placed upon a precious baby by his celebrity parents. How do you discipline a kid with the name “Sin?”
Have fun this week searching your names and then post the meaning as a comment below. We’ll have a live discussion on Facebook to discuss our names and meanings. It will be a fun way to fellowship and get to know each other. We’ll announce the day and time on Facebook…so be sure to follow our page: Facebook.com/WomensBibleCafe
You can also connect with me personally on my personal page Facebook.com/LifeVerse for updates on family and life…just send me a friend request.
Our Prayer Wall is the place to reach out with your prayer needs and praise reports. Please visit the page and pray for those people who are asking for you to lift them up in prayer. Pray for the leaders of this study and the women in your small group.
How to Participate
Here’s what you can expect from your participation in the Knowing God By Name Bible study
- Pray before you begin reading. Ask the Holy Spirit to open your heart to wisdom.
- Read your daily lessons, five total, lasting about 20 minutes each day. A good plan is to read each morning Monday through Friday, allowing the weekend to make up any lesson you missed during the week.
- Visit the Womens Bible Cafe anytime on Monday and join in the group discussion by posting a comment.
- Watch our Facebook page for announcements of live discussions and fun events. Facebook.com/WomensBibleCafe
- Get into a daily routine of study. Make it the first priority and resist distractions or doubt that will temp you to fall behind.
Homework For The Week
- Write a letter to God on the inside cover of your workbook. Put today’s date inside your book and tell Him where you are in your life right now, and where you hope He leads you during your bible study Knowing God By Name
- Download the Flash Cards for this study: Lifeway.com > Knowing God By Name Member Book> Support Materials
- Read Week One in your workbook.
- Explore the meaning of your own name- first, middle, last and maiden. Ask your parents (if living) why they named you, and research the internet for meanings of your name.
- Check in with your Small Group Leader. Contact us if you have not heard from your leader by Wednesday.
Group Discussion- answer one or as many questions as you like by posting a comment below and also discussing in your small groups this week
- Why did your parents select your name and what is the meaning of your name?
- Did your family every give you a nickname? Did you like or dislike it?
- How did you select the name (s) of your children?
UPDATE: Small groups are full. You can still join our study, however the small groups are at capacity. So you’ll be placed on a waiting list for a small group. You can still participate by joining the online discussions and Facebook chats