I Will Remember

This post is by Cindy Hamilton as she shares her breast cancer journey with the Bible Cafe guests.

It started me thinking.  My daughter, son, and I were sitting in the kitchen talking, when my daughter asked, “How come all people aren’t healed?”  This was an honest question, and it deserved an honest answer.  As Christians, we believe in prayer.  We believe that our God listens to us and answers our prayers.  We know that Jesus healed the sick—that was a part of His ministry.  Miracles happened and people believed.

I believe in miracles.  Those two adult children, sitting around the kitchen bar are proof of that.  My daughter was born one month premature.  She developed Hyaline Membrane Disease where the lungs are covered with something like a plastic bag.  In the 70’s there was not a lot they knew to do to prevent it.  They could only place the baby on oxygen and hope that the lungs would begin  functioning correctly.  For several days, she was placed on 100% oxygen.  The doctor told us that he feared if she continued at that high level, she would suffer brain damage or blindness.  But, she could not breathe on her own.  That day, I called my prayer warriors.  I asked them to specifically pray that at 4:00 that afternoon, they would turn her oxygen down.  I made the call to the hospital at 4:30.  I will never forget what the nurse told me.  “Mrs. Hamilton, we can’t believe it, but we are able to start turning your babies’ oxygen down.”

When my son was born, the pediatrician “just happened” to be in the nursery when my baby stopped breathing.  The doctor stayed with him all night long.  I remember the nurse coming in to tell me that there was a problem.  I couldn’t get out of bed because of an epidural, so all I could do was pray.  I reached over and opened the Bible beside me on the nightstand to this scripture: weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning. Psalm 30:5.  The nurse came in the next morning to tell me that my baby was going to be fine.

About that same time my daddy was diagnosed with lung cancer.  He had been a smoker all of his life.  I prayed, oh how I prayed, for my daddy, but God didn’t heal him.  Through all of that, however, God gave me an amazing glimpse of heaven.  I was alone with my daddy when he died.  I will never forget the look on his face when he took his last breath.  It was as if he saw someone that he hadn’t seen in a long time.

There have been so many answered prayers throughout the years.  All I know to do is trust in the Lord.  There’s no magic formula to “getting healed”.  God’s Word just gives us many scriptures on healing.  I can only stand on them.  I know that we all will die, and I’m certainly not afraid to go to heaven, but I pray that God will give me more years to be with my precious grandchildren and finish my work here on earth.

So, in the meantime, I want to have a cheerful heart because it is good medicine. (Proverbs 17:22).  And I pray: Lord, by such things people live; and my spirit finds life in them too. You restored me to health and let me live. (Isaiah 38:16)

I will continue to pray for all of the precious people on my prayer list who are fighting cancer.  God is Jehovah-Rapha.  He is the God Who Heals.

Comments

1. says

My wife, Janet, and I battled her colon cancer that metastized to her lung and spine when chemo failed. It lasted 3-1/2 years. We put it in God’s hands continually with prayer. More than once we thought the ultimate victory had been won with clean bills of health. Then came the news the chemo had failed. But God never fails. He loved her so much He gave her His very best healing of all. She’s been doing her dance in heaven for almost two years. Though I miss her I would not ask her to come back. Her earthly father put her hand in mine. 38 years later, I put her hand in the hand of her Father in heaven and gave back what He had so richly blessed me with. One day we will be together again. Rejoice. Again I say, rejoice!

2. Amy says

I just ran across your blogs – an answer to my prayers! I have terminal colon cancer with mets to my lungs. I have fought this horrible disease for three and a half years. At a time when I thought my faith would become stronger it seems that I have grown a little stale. I have seen many blessings and answered prayers during my fight. I was told in January that I may not live long enough to see my daughter get married, but by Gods grace and mercy I witnessed her walk down the aisle this past Saturday and felt well enough to enjoy the day! I know this was a gift of God. While I am not afraid to die I would like to live longer, serve Him and share the Word. Thank you for your encouraging spirit, I will be returning to this site.

All glory to God,
    Amy

3. Penny says

Father God, I lift up Cindy to you. She is your child, your daughter. You alone know the plans you have for Cindy. Plans to prosper her and giver a future with hope. We praise you God for your continued healing of Cindy. Let her know everyday that you are there. You will fight for her and all she needs is to be still. (Exodus). Praise you, praise you, praise you for her healing.

4. says

Cindy, you have such a rich, wonderful history of God miracles and I want to thank you for sharing your story with all of us.

My prayer for you is out of Proverbs 3:8 from The Message: May your body glow with health, and your very bones vibrate with life!

Thank you for the life and encouragement you continue to give to others.

Blessings,

Bridget

• Sarah Marshall says

Bridget, thank you so much for sharing that verse! It’s just what I needed to share with a friend of mine who is having a breast biopsy done this Friday. “Proverbs 3:8 from The Message: May your body glow with health, and your very bones vibrate with life!” will be the first message I text to her in te morning!

Amy and Cindy, I ask God to continue healing and blessing you both. HE is faithful and oh so very ABLE.

5. Joan says

Cindy, you are such a blessing and a grace-filled lady. I am praying for God to continue to use you and work in your life. I went to your website and was reading what you wrote and I felt uplifted and empowered by your strength. I am so thankful that you know the Lord intimately and that you know that he is with you at all times. Your walk and faith are an inspiration to me. I pray God’s healing presence will continue to wash over you and that you will be healed.

6. Nancy says

Lord God Almighty, I lift up to You today Your servant Cindy. You have walked with her throughout her entire life and she has walked with You for quite a while now. You have shown her the wonders of answering her prayers, sometimes even before she knew that prayers were needed. You have supported her, encouraged her, guided her, taught her, and now, dearest Father, I ask boldly that You heal her as well. Pour out Your peace which surpasses all human understanding into her heart until it is filled to overflowing. Place in her life those who will provide for her positive energy and unconditional love. Help her to be able to feel the abiding sense of Your presence with her at all times. Strengthen her and continue to provide for her every need as You always have. I ask all this in the glorious name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.

7. says

Only God knows the plans He has for your life. Jer 29:11 NIV Part of the journey is learning to trust in Him and not lean on your own understanding. Dig into scriptures, continue to have conversations with God and seek peace- day-by-day, or hour-by-hour as you need it. Know that the medications and environment will test your faith, and sometimes rattle it. You’re witnessing others who are beside you on the cancer journey- some with faith and some without- each time you go to the clinic or hospital. “Not Shaken” should be inscribed into your heart. The enemy will take your physical and emotional exhaustion and tempt you to doubt and fear. Shout scripture back at the devil! Let others intercede when you are having a low day. It is a honor when you humble yourself and allow your husband, children and friends to pray for you. God speaks into their hearts as they communicate on your behalf. Ask them to pray and let them draw near to God through your illness. God is near. Be still, and wait patiently for Him. Psalm 37:7