Fingerprints of God Online Bible Study Begins Today

Welcome to womens online bible study as we begin Fingerprints of God by Jennifer Rothschild. During this study you’ll discover a Father who has placed His touch on your life.  Fingerprints of God starts with this basic premise: We are individually touched by God- created by Him, recreated through Jesus Christ, refined and restored through the Holy Spirit,” writes Jennifer. Stop and think about this…God has touched you….individually.

Maybe the tag inside your clothing should read “Handcrafted by God.” God didn’t speak you into existence, He created you with His hands. So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep. While the man slept, the Lord God took out one of the man’s ribs and closed up the opening. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib, and he brought her to the man. Genesis 2:21-22 NLT

During our time together in bible study, we’ll discover God’s handiwork through these lessons:

1. Fingerprints of God
  2. A touch of intimacy
  3. His redeeming touch
  4. His sheltering embrace
  5. The hand that guides
  6. Shaped by His hand

This week I want you to think about your own creativity and what you create with your hands. I’ve been crafty since I was a young girl, making jewelry with gum wrappers and later learning crafts from my grandmother. I learned how to knit, cook, sew and crochet…and developed a passion for making beautiful things. As an adult I express myself with scrapbooking, quilting and jewelry making. If you gave me a lump of modeling clay I’d probably create a princess crown as a reminder that I’m a daughter of the King.  At the top of my crown I’d engrave the letters HIS because my heart belongs to God. As I think about this I’m reminded of how God expresses Himself through His beautiful creations.

During our bible study we’ll explore God’s imprint on your life and we encourage you to participate with the other women in this study. Each week we’ll post discussion questions for you to answer here on the website and also in your small groups. We’ll also have a live discussion on Facebook to discuss our study. It will be a fun way to fellowship and get to know each other.  We’ll announce the day and time on Facebook…so be sure to follow our page: Facebook.com/WomensBibleCafe

You can also connect with me personally on my personal page Facebook.com/LifeVerse for updates on family and life…just send me a friend request.

Our Prayer Wall is the place to reach out with your prayer needs and praise reports. Please visit the page and pray for those people who are asking for you to lift them up in prayer.

How to Participate

Here’s what you can expect from your participation in the Fingerprints of God  Bible study

• Pray before you begin reading. Ask the Holy Spirit to open your heart to wisdom.
  • Read your daily lessons, five total, lasting about 20 minutes each day.  A good plan is to read each morning Monday through Friday, allowing the weekend to make up any lesson you missed during the week.
  • Visit the Womens Bible Cafe anytime on Monday and join in the group discussion by posting a comment.
  • Watch our Facebook page for announcements of live discussions and fun events. Facebook.com/WomensBibleCafe
  • Optional video lessons are available from Lifeway at a minimal cost. If this is your first Jennifer Rothschild study, I encourage you to listen to at least ONE video lesson to connect with the personality and teaching style of Jennifer Rothschild.
  • Get into a daily routine of study. Make it the first priority and resist distractions or doubt that will temp you to fall behind.

Homework For Next Week

• Write a letter to God on the inside cover of your book. Put today’s date inside your book and tell Him where you are in your life right now, and where you hope He leads you during your bible study Fingerprints of God
  • Read Week One in your book.
  • Watch the Video Introduction Session and Session One (optional due to cost)
  • Check in with your Small Group Leader. Contact us if you have not heard from your leader by Wednesday.

Group Discussion- answer one or as many questions as you like by posting a comment below and also discussing in your small groups this week

1. What is something creative you like to do with your hands?

UPDATE: Small groups are full. You can still join our study, however the small groups are at capacity. So you’ll be placed on a waiting list for a small group. You can still participate by joining the online discussions and Facebook chats

• Colleen says:

I love cooking and baking, and also crocheting. I also love teaching my daughter these things.

• Jennifer says:

I love to cook and take care of my family. I would create a book, because I homeschool my children. Keeping God the center of their education is very important to me.

• Joyce says:

I like to design bulletins, cards things of this nature. I was never a secretary and when I was a member of New Mt. Zion, I became the Bishop’s secretary. From there I was able to design the front of the bulletin, make business cards, book marks and almost anything that the church needed. I thank God for this gift in that it allows me to show his mercy, love, grace and Him on paper. I coordinated the Vacation Bible School one year and it was a success.
    If I had a lump of PlayDoh, I don’t know, A vase comes to mind. I have a tendency to hold things in. I don’t really like to make waves. In this respect, I sometimes feel that no one is really concerned about what is going on with me. Like a vase, you see the beautiful flowers above the water. You have no idea if the water is clear, murkey or what. You just look at the flowers.

• Jenise S. says:

Something creative with my hands would include making things for other people, like fleece blankets, wreaths, or other crafts. I cook with my hands and love to cook for others. I also am an interior designer and I like to create designs with the use of my hands.

If you gave me a lump of clay to create something, i would create a heart because I have a very big heart and love to give and help others.

• Ruth says:

Oh my! I didnt see this. So sorry I’m late in responding :-/

I love to use my hand to cook and garden. Also to pet my poodles and cat. They love it when I scratch their bellies 😀

• Pam says:

I missed this area of the website, so it appears I’m a week behind in the discussion 🙁 However, I did do the “homework” in the member book, so I’m not as far behind as I could be! I create many things with my hands….home decor, jewelry, meals (my husband’s favorite 🙂 ), and clean home for us to live in, and we are thankful for that blessing! Thank you all for praying for me and keeping me on the straight an narrow so I can further my relationship with God.

• Kimberly Boyd says:

Last week I had the opportunity to take my 18 month old son to the children’s zoo. As we were visiting all the animals, we saw a Gibbon Monkey. It was that moment, that I finally understood the Amazing work GOD has done and continues to do.

• simone says:

something i like to do with my hands is play the piano. if i had a piece of playdough i would make a broken heart with jesus on the cross in the middle

• Robin Carlson says:

Creativity for me is scrapbookingor playing piano,neither which have i done much lately. I also like to garden. I like to fashion something into something else, better, prettier,or more efficient. With playdoh, i would create something that resembles a stained glass window. Waterfall, rainbow, pond and flowers… beautiful and yet fragile. Peaceful and reflective yet transparent.

• Jayce says:

1. What is something creative you like to do with your hands? As a recent college grad, I am attempting to learn how to cook and I like knowing that I have created a meal with my hands. I have created something that can sustain me. It’s also interesting to know that God created me to satisfy Him.

2. If I gave you a lump of modeling clay or PlayDoh and asked you to make something that represents your life…what would you create and why? I would just leave it as a ball of clay because as a recent college grad, I’m not sure where my life is heading and what direction God will take me.

• Christine Smith says:

I love cooking and seeing what creative meals I can make. Today I saw the Pioneer Woman on the Food Network and was inspired to make her Meatloaf and Twice Baked Potatoes. It’s been an all day event getting my ingredients and pre-baking many of the times. fun too!

• Gemma says:

I love to cook and create food with my hands.

• Faithfilled Mom says:

I would really like to do this bible study. Is it too late to join a group?

• Christine Smith says:

It’s not too late to join however the small groups are filled. So you will be placed on a waiting list for a small group. You can still participate by joining the online discussions and Facebook chats.

• susan says:

This is my first post. I am new here. I like to quilt, crochet, and love to garden. I am currently making a place under my large grape arbor for meditation and reading. I put in a fountain, reading bench, flowers, plants, bird bath and bird feeders. I feel closer to God in a garden.

• Carrie says:

i love to create cards and scrapbooks, they are what i do when i am feeling lonely or restless.
    If i was given a ball of clay, i would make 3 hearts, to show where i am in my life right now, a wife, mother of 3 grown kids, and a granddaughter, and parents who are starting to need me do to health issues. And trying to full fill all those roles.

• Quintens MOM says:

Make with my hand I love to sew. and though I havent done so in a long time i love to draw ( pencil and charcoal)

and what i would mold with clay i dont know what i would mold… id probly make it round and then square and flat just trying to figure out what to mold…

• Nancy Burton says:

I enjoy scrap booking, but because of my situation here I have mostly switched to doing it digitally. I love to quilt but still consider myself a novice.

If I had a ball of real playdoh (not available here), I would probably just keep playing with it and changing the shape, since God seems to be teaching me flexibility right now. Or I might make a suitcase to represent all the transitions we have gone through as a family in the last several years.

• Christine Smith says:

Your comment finally made it!!! Not sure why your IP address keeps getting blocked by the website…it’s never happened in 3 years! Must be spiritual warfare to keep you frustrated and discouraged. I’m thankful you pushed beyond the enemy and found your place here at the Womene Bible Cafe 🙂

• Sarah says:

What is something creative you like to do with your hands? I have several. I like to embroider ( although I need to bite the bullet and get bifocals), free hand letter scripture (like calligraphy not calligraphy), crochet prayer shawls for my family and friends (thank you youtube for the directions).

If I gave you a lump of modeling clay or PlayDoh and asked you to make something that represents your life …what would you create and why? I would make a few things. I’d make a trash can to throw away the past hurts and pains. I’d make a star because somewhere out there is a star named after my mom. When she died in 2005 she donated her body to the university in MN and they named a star after her.

• Christine Smith says:

I love the story your Mom’s legacy and the star.

• Sarah says:

Thanks! My hope and dream is to one day find somebody who has a telescope that I can put the coordinates in and actually really see my mom’s star!

• Sylvia says:

2. I would form a lantern or a lamp with my modeling clay. I am seeking God’s will and direction for my life and I know I will find it by studying God’s word/ the lamp for my feet and the light for my path. Also, its my desire that I can be a light for Him.

• Jennifer D says:

1. What is something creative you like to do with your hands? I love to create scrapbooks for my family and friends. It’s one of the ways I can relax after a stressful day.
    2. If I gave you a lump of modeling clay or PlayDoh and asked you to make something that represents your life…what would you create and why? I would create a crown. In addition, a small ball to remind me that I am unique, and touch by God

• Ronda says:

What is something you create with your hands? Although I havent done it in a while, I like to draw. I also like to interior decorate. Its amazing to see an idea in your mind come to life.

If I had clay, I would probably just make a ball. because right now, my life is full of so many things, I dont have directions on what to do next, or what direction to go in.

• Susie says:

I am not very creative with my hands. However, I love to scrapbook and take pictures. I am noticing in our new age of technology, I seem to be taking the easy way and doing more on line – meaning editing pictures, journals on the computer, making photo books, ect. I think this definitely takes away some of the creativeness and the peaceful time at a desk or table where you can also be in prayer time as you create. When I am at a computer, it just seems different. I use to like to cook, but now I go once a month to a company and all the ingredients and receipes are there in one convenient place, so I still enjoy putting the dinners together by hand to serve my family during the month. Does anyone else feel like our new age of technology is taking away our blessing from God to make things with our own hands?

• Carrie says:

Yes i do and the scrap booking is a good example of that. I also scrapbook and refuse to go digital, there is just something about paper and scissors in your hands, and the wonderful legacy your leaving your family with the stories, and your hand writing.

• Stefanie says:

1. What is something creative I like to do with my hands?

I love to knit. I learned to knit as a young child. But only after my second child did I really get back into knitting. I find it relaxing and love the “me” time. I get together with my mom and some lady friends once a week when I can at a local knitting shop where we can talk and knit and get ideas for new things to create. I love the feeling of accomplishment when I finish a project!

2. If I had a lump of modeling clay or Play doh, what would I make to represent my life?

That is a tough one. I do not feel that my life is complete so I am not sure what I could create. I feel like I am always growing and changing. I make mistakes and falter, but that I learn from those mistakes and then grow from them. So I guess I could create a tree or maybe a flower that blooms every year. A tree grows new branches and leaves, which is like how I grow and change. Some branches die off and so do the leaves during the fall, much like my mistakes and then they come back in the spring new like how I learn. Or a flower that grows new every spring and blooms.

Stefanie

• Carrie Simpson says:

That is such a great question. The other day I was focusing on my hands as I was drinking my coffee and realized how much I use them and take them for granite. I love to cook, bake, scrapbook, and card making.

If you were to give me a lump of clay I would try to recreate my mother’s face. I lost my mother at a very young age and the memories of her have faded through the years. I work constantly to improve my relationship with God so that I can be reunited with her someday.

• corinna says:

Cakes! 3-d, custom, you name it! LOVE IT! The clay representation of me would be a rock….as I feel that would be appropriate for this time in our life with my three children and husband.

• Missy says:

Hello to all! I have been making soap for several years, I love the process of making a batch of soap, and the practicality of it 🙂 I also make candles, and roast my own coffee beans. I love making anything from scratch.I would make my life in the shape of a bowl. I have a job , have raised two children as a single parent but I have never been alone because of the Lord.That is not to say that it isn’t and hasn’t been difficult, but I am learning I am empty at the end of every day and I have to be filled by my friend Holy Spirit . I give over all of the things that come to me as worries first thing in the morning.I sometimes sing a song that is in my heart to Him. I read part of a devotional and my Bible and sometimes, I am prompted to sit and be utterly quiet, that is when He speaks to me this is my most treasured time, when I listen for His voice to me.This fills me up again.

• Chrissy says:

I am not very crafty with my hands! I use to enjoy taking pictures and doing things like that but I have noticed a lot of the things I use to like to do have fallen to the way side. If I had a lump of clay I think I would attempt to mold it into a small child, because as a new found Christian that is what I am, I am learning all the basics, how to eat solids and walk for the first time. I love my new life and one day will shape my dough into a crown.

• Jackie says:

1.What is something creative you like to do with your hands? I sew some. Right now I am working on a quilt. However, I don’t really consider it creative because it is just following directions. I think of creativity as being something unique, on my own without following a pattern or directions. (haven’t braved that one yet) I like baking too, but that feels like I am following directions and not a truly creative thing for me.They are as close to creative as I think I can get:)
    2.If I gave you a lump of modeling clay or PlayDoh and asked you to make something that represents your life…what would you create and why?
    I think I would try to make a tree. Trees have roots, my life is rooted in Christ. Trees drink water with their roots, Christ is the living water. The trees trunks have rings that represent each year on new growth, and I am a new creature in Christ, and believe every year I am growing in Him. Healthy trees yield leaves,and blossoms and bear fruit. I am blessed in my life with so many people that I love and things that are wonderful and see these as the beauty of a sping tree blossoming, and hopefully passing on the blessings to others as bearing fruit.

• Becca Walker says:

1. Something creative I do with my hands is sewing I have always liked to sew and just this last christmas I got my own sewing machine and have since made several projects with it. I love being able to take the material visualize what it is I want to make and transform it into the final product.
    2.I think I would make my clay or playdoh into long thin strips like wires, just last year I graduated from dental hygiene school and I finally have a part time job now but I also have three very young children, sometimes it feels like I am stretching my time thin to fit all of lifes daily activities into it and trying to find a balance between being a mom and working and wanting to not miss out on any of it. 🙂

• Melissa says:

1.What is something creative you like to do with your hands?
    I love to write – letters, stories, etc. and I like to use my words to create something that helps me express myself.
    I am not very creative or crafty at all but my son thinks my PlayDoh creations are amazing, so I would likely do what he loves and that is put my handprint inside flattened PlayDoh. We like to look at the lines and creases on our hands so that could be representative of God’s handprints on our lives.

• Connie - Arkansas says:

As a young Mom, I cross-stitched & painted ceramics & loved both, but the thing that has consistently brought me the most joy & closer to God is to garden. I have learned so many lessons with the Lord through the processes of gardening, and whatever stress or crisis I am facing can take on a new perspective as I get out into the fresh air and dig, plant, pull weeds or walk through the beauty of it all!
    If I had a lump of play-doh, I would try to make a tree, because it is the Lord’s symbol for me. He planted me and I am to be His tree of righteousness, to glorify HIm (Is 61) and as I trust HIm with my life, my tree shall flourish & bear fruit – no matter what the different seasons bring! (Jer 17)

• Letty says:

I like to play with beads & make jewelry with them. Just love the way the different stones feel as I flip them around & string them on whatever it is I’m working on. If I had a lump of clay right now would probably roll it into links & make a pretty bracelet just for fun. 🙂

• Diana says:

I love to scrapbook.
    If I had a lump of clay I would sculpt a tree. I see myself as a tree with many branches reaching out to help many others. A tree gives shelter and protection, shade and joy. Sometimes I “drop an branch” but God has restored me and given me numerous other limbs. I reach upwards in praise of Him.

• Mandy S says:

I don’t have a lot of extra time to be too creative, but when I do have time I like to cook. Making a special dish or a treat is one way for me to bless and serve my family and friends.

If I had playdoh I would flatten it and make it very thin, and that would represent my life right now. I feel that my time is spread way too thin and needs to be simplified. I am a full-time mom and I also work full-time and I often feel like I should be serving my family and friends instead of being at work where I really don’t feel like my time serves much of a purpose other than bringing home a paycheck. It’s a constant struggle.

• Christine Smith says:

We need to “pump up” your modeling clay! I’m glad you connected with the Womens Bible Cafe and are making time for yourself.

• Carrissa Kaser says:

You are so valuable and your time is too. I pray you’re blessed with less financial burden and I’m glad you’re here.

• Audrey says:

I do paperart. I make greeting cards, quilling and orgamni folding. I also love to knit but am really a very beginner to that. I sew and I cook and bake. I also love to write and compose sentiments for my cards.
    If I had a lump of clay I don’t know what I would do, I didn’t do well at that in school and would no doubt not do well now. I loe the crown idea and I am so glad that my Dad is the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords I love being a King’s Kid!

• b says:

We had an exchange student from Japan who made me a beautiful orgamni swan. My cat ate it 🙁
      i’m kinda like you, if i had a lump of clay i would probably eat it 🙂

• Erica says:

I enjoy cooking and arts & crafts! I usually use my projects around the house and they usually have some kind of meaning behind it, so every time I see them , I’m reminded! Cooking is something I do everyday.

• Lois says:

I wish I could be a part of a small group to fully be involved. Never mind. If i had some clay I would like to make something to symbolise my love for God like a pair of large hands with a heat in the middle.

• Sondra says:

I enjoy photography. I love to see the image in my head transform through the lens and come though when printed. I find that the memories a photo can provoke can take you back in time or reveal a story to others that cant be put into words. I love that!

• Adele-Alys says:

I find that cross-stitch is both a physically relaxing and a spiritually revealing activity. The necessity of stitching first forwards and then backwards reminds me to look at life from more than just my own small perspective. The fact that the cross- shape becomes visible as the piece is slanted underscores the necessity of turning over a situation in my mind until I can see God’s hand in it.

Currently, I am working on an adaptation of the painting Mystic Boat by 19th century French painter, Odilon Redon. To me it illustrates John 6:21: how even in the midst of a storm as soon as Christ enters my small boat, I will immediately be at my designated destination.

• Shawn Constant says:

I, like Trishna, love to use my hands to cook, but I am not great at baking. Cooking is less precise with a dash of this or that. Baking is based in chemistry and everything must be measured carefully to bring a tasty and beautiful result. Cooking is much more forgiving.

With clay, I would make a watering can. I’m blessed at this time in my life with great resources which God shows me how to sprinkle over others with less.

• Sharon Compton says:

If I had a lump of clay I would also make a flower. I love nature and the beauty of God’s creation. Even in the midst of a fallen world He still gives us a glimpse of Eden with the beauty that surround us. Once I took the time to look around and notice the flowers it was easy to know God is real.

• b says:

What is something creative you like to do with your hands? i’m all thumbs 🙂 but in another season i tried to be a writer.

If I gave you a lump of modeling clay or PlayDoh and asked you to make something that represents your life…what would you create and why? Right now it would be a simple cross then i’d hold on tight

• Christine Smith says:

Praying for you b as you wisely cling to the cross. You know where your strength comes from!

• Andi B says:

Once upon a time, I enjoyed cross-stitch and I have always loved writing… until this past year. Sadly, I have been struck with a condition that is making it impossible to work with my hands in any efficient manner. I must constantly remind myself that every purpose has its season. And I trust God to direct me.

With the clay, I would want to make beautiful flowers… when I was a child, my stepmom and I would play with Femo and she taught me how to make calla lilies. I’d love to remember the innocence and hope that I had then. But, hey, if all I could make was a ball… that’s one of my year old daughter’s favorite words!! Not so shabby!!

• Roseanna says:

My business involves my hands. I am always being told I have a great touch. I own a skin care practice doing facials, waxing and makeup. During my facials, during the massage part, clients melt. For me it has been a ministry using the gift God gave me.

Re; the clay, I have no idea what I would make. Most often the transformation just happens as I do. I wonder what I would end up making. Interesting question.

• Jeannie T. says:

I like to paint with watercolors. I haven’t painted in a very long time, but I would love to have the time one day to paint again.
    My husband who was the love of my life, went to be with Jesus last September. My heart is broken so I would make a heart with the clay, and than break it into two pieces. Through this study I’m hoping that God will do some healing on my heart and help to make it feel whole again. The breaks will always be there though.

• Sheree Poole says:

I love to cross stitch. And I’m talking about the counted cross stitch and not the pre-printed design. I like taking a blank piece of counted cross stitch fabric and watching a picture unfold before my eyes. I’m not an artist, and so when I create a beautiful, colorful picture using multi-colored threads and a needle, I amaze myself. I have given cross stitch pictures away for gifts and I have several hangings in my home that I have completed over the years. Some of my favorite cross stitchings are Scriptural. I did Proverbs 3:5-6, which is my Life Verse. The Serenity Prayer is another one of my favorites.

If you gave me a lump of modeling clay, I would make a smiley face, because I’m always laughing and smiling, and I’m always trying to cheer people up who are down or depressed. I don’t like to be sad, so if I keep a happy face, there’s no room for sadness.

• Nicole says:

I love to be creative. I’m a SAHM of 4 children and have found myself so many times at the table building, coloring, and creating many a masterpieces with my children. During those moments I really connect with them and I can see how much they learn by creating something with their hands. Every project they make is their greatest joy. They have so much excitement for every detail. And when they look back at all their previous projects they light up talking about how they did this and why they did that. The magic and pride in their eyes when it’s done makes me think about how God must feel about each one of us.

• Trishna Monplaisir says:

I love to cook and try new recipes so i am constantly using my hands for that. One thing i would like to work on is baking cakes. I definitely need patience for that which is something i pray for daily.

The second question kind of hit me hard but i think what i would make with the clay is a large bowl with several holes. At times i feel that there are certain areas in my life that needs to be worked on which the hole would represent. But what I pray for is knowing and understanding that God is so fulfilling and all we need to feel complete. I want his love to fill those holes so i can totally depend and trust him.

• Nancy K. says:

I am also very excited about doing my first online bible study, with my hands I am able to do my job, I work at Disney and love to create magic for our Guests, creating things for our team to help them create even more magic. With my clay I would make a butterfly, this symbolizes my life coming out of a bad marriage and spreading my wings into the new person I am and want to be through Jesus Christ.

• Erin M says:

I’ve never been very creative, but I have recently gotten into cooking so I would say I enjoy doing that with my hands. I’m not sure what I would make with the clay. My life has been very chaotic for the past few years so I would probably make something that represents chaos.

• Denise Brinkmeyer says:

1. Something creative I can do with my hands is make these little origami frogs that “jump” when you press on their tails. Way back in elementary school, I had a teacher that showed us how to make them and we would have competitions to see who could make them jump the farthest. I don’t make them very often anymore, but kids usually have fun with them when I do. 🙂
    2. I would probably just make a ball with the play-doh. I love the feel of rolling a ball of play-doh back and forth in my hands. It’s almost therapeutic and relaxing.

• Ashley O. says:

Oh, I love to do so many things with my hands: knit, crochet, write, scrap-booking, and photography (if that one counts?). I find it such a beautiful gift to be able to create things. I believe it is part of being made in God’s image since He is the Creator of all!

If I could make a mold, I would make a heart. I’m a loving person and I know I’ve become this way because of all the love God has given to me.

• Lety Seaver says:

Since I became a stay at home mom, thanks to my amazing husband and God he gets credit too. I love to go on pinterest (a craft site for those who might not know what it is) and look at the crafts that are fun and creative and make them. I also like to read. So with my hands I craft and read.

• Danielle says:

I have just started to cook and really enjoy it I just throw things together and it usually comes out very good,I also like to paint I am not very good at it.

• McLinda says:

My creativity comes in the form of writing for me. I can literally write about anything. Writing is my God given talent. Android if I had a lump of clay I would take bits and pieces from everybody else’s clay to make one big colorful mess but on the very end I would make the begining of a barbell. It shows how messy my life is,BUT the barbell represents my strength and the building the body of my life back up.

• Annette says:

I have always enjoyed creating with my hands, whether is is sewing, cooking, knitting, writting Orr caring for my children or the children of other people. My current obsession is sewing and designing for my family. Unfortunately, I have difficulties with my hands that force me to redirect my efforts.
    I’m not sure what I would create with clay. The first thing that comes to mind is a bowl. It is practical, while being as ornate as I want to make it. I see it as a serving bowl that is richly decorated to honor my family and guests.

• Jill says:

I love to bake. I am a really gifted baker and nothing makes me happier than the look on someone’s face after biting into something I’ve made them.
    I think I would create a globe. I care so much for the people in the world I can’t think of a better way to represent that other than a globe.

• Danielle Dayton says:

With my hands I like to scrapbook, write, and play piano and guitar.

If I was given a lump of Playdoh and needed to make something to represent my life, I think I would create a book. I love to read everything and anything and have since I learned to read my first book, The Foot Book by Dr. Seuss. I’m also passionate about studying God’s word and I’m so excited to start this bible study!

• Mary Delnero says:

With a lump of clay, well, I would probably be sharing it with the children around me…so I guess I’d make a hand, and put a child’s hand in mine. At this time we have 2 foster children. We have had others, and they still visit. OUr own two children have moved on, after homeschooling for years. I love to cook, especially for a crowd, and I also enjoy helping my husband in our family furniture business. I’m happy for this study. Thank you.

• Christina Shubert says:

I would love to make things. I often have great ideas of creative things that I could make. Unfortunately, I never get pass the idea stage. I do enjoy to write and to teach. I love to daydream and think about things. Sometimes this is a hinderance because I fail to act. If I was given a lump of clay, I would probably make my little family out of it. This would represent my idea that family ensures my ideas, beliefs, and love will never die. I believe one of my most important jobs on Earth is to keep the spirit of Jesus and his love alive through my children and future generations.

• Christine Smith says:

Writing and teaching are very creative talents. I like the modeling clay family…a reminder we’re created in His image and members of God’s family too. 🙂

• Andrea says:

My hands do so much! I use them to cook,clean,wipe tears,hold hands…the list goes on and on! I think I’m pretty creative with my hands in using them so much on a daily basis with my kids. When I think of the Playdoh, I think of creating a cross. Being reminded everyday that Jesus paid it all.

• Christine Smith says:

I love the image of how useful your hands are and how they never stop working. What I like most is that you are using your hands in Jesus name…not in Andrea’s name and so everything you do is done with love. Just as Jesus did on the cross.

• Terrie says:

I love to sew, make cards, design anything from creative ideas with family photos to working with wood. I don’t ever feel I have enough time to do all these things, because family relationships are top on my list next to my relationship with Jesus Christ. The first thing that came to mind about the play-doh is just flat and stretched thin. This is how I feel most of the time at this stage of my life. Grown children with their families and needs, elderly parents requiring more care, retired husband requiring more attention….I am in need of training as to how to let them all know I do care and love them, and yet not feel totally stressed by it all. I know this is not from God. I am praying that He led me to this particular bible study to strengthen me for the walk down this path of my life and that it will grow me and ultimately bring honor and glory to Him.

• Christine Smith says:

Caretaking is a difficult place to be, yet is it a season. While those duties are important and valuable, your own emotional and physical health are so essential to care for others. Praying that you’ll find relaxation and comfort from being in this bible study. Keep up your crafts and never feel guilty for making time for yourself. A balanced wife and daughter is a happy and helpful wife and daughter! -)

I like to hold my Bible in my hands, cook, hug, play with the dogs, do x-stitch, but most important prasie God with my hands….left them up to Him. With the clay try and make a model of God’s hand to remind me He holds me in the plam of His Hand.

• Lane says:

I am excited to do another bible study with Women’s bible cafe.
    With my hands, i play the piano when i can, which is my gift from God to express and feel connected to Him. I love it when i can just see where He takes me on a song or causes a song to pop into my head to play- Music is such a blessing in my life.
    If i had a lump of clay, i would make a hand, opened up, representing Christ with His hand outstretched to me, to help me back up each day when i fail, to show me He is ready for me always and wants to go on my journey of life with me.

• Christine Smith says:

I like the clay image of the hand and somehow it reminds me of the piano too! When you turn the hand over you’re using it to create something beautiful. 🙂

• Anne says:

I am really not very creative…. I used to panic when my son was attending kindergarten and it was one of these days when the Moms were asked to participate in creating festive decorations for Christmas and Easter! I do cook but it’s not exactly a hobby and when I think of PlayDoh I think of the blue blob in our red carpet which was a pain to get out… I do love my garden though and can spend hours pruning and shaping my roses. My garden makes me happy, it is where I go when I’m sad and when I am full of joy, too

• Christine Smith says:

Remembering those “room mom” days right alongside you Anne! I’d love to see your garden…I’ll bet its beautiful! Someday I’d like to have one…currently my husband and I are lacking in garden skills and knowledge.

• Patty says:

Projects made of reused items. I like to create “new” from whatever is available to create an individual piece of art. So my clay would be the foundation, a base to work with.

• Christine Smith says:

That would be something unique to see…I like the idea of reusing and recreating and never seem to do enough of this. Great visual image of the clay foundation too!

• Melissa says:

I love to knit! Everywhere I go I take my knitting bag with me and knit while I’m waiting at the doctor’s office, watching my daughter’s dance class, or even just while eating lunch at work. If I have a few minutes of spare time I always think to myself, “you know I could get 4-5 rows of that sweater done…” Every year for Christmas I give our family and close friends my knitted projects as gifts. It makes me feel so good to see them open my homemade gift that took so much time and love to create!

If I had a lump of PlayDoh…this is a funny question! Our daughter is three so we currently have an abundance of PlayDoh at home! I would make three people with my PlayDoh. My husband and I both work full time and our daughter recently turned 3 (I’m not sure how this happened! It seems like yesterday she was born and now she’s starting preschool in the fall). I know our jobs are important because they pay the bills but it’s our family that matters the most!

• Christine Smith says:

I love the knitting story! You might want to write a blog called “PlayDoh Memories” LOL 🙂 Those are fun memories with kids…I love to see what they create and where their hearts are. I like those plastic cutting tools…until it’s time to clean them. Oh yeah…during my Super-Mom phase I did make “homemade” PlayDoh and it was a complete disaster. I went to lunch with my husband and kids (10 and 13) and we shared our own stories of creativity. It was fun to look back at the PlayDoh memories, barbie dolls and other moments in the Smith family history. 🙂

• Evet says:

What is something creative you like to do with your hands? What I do is clean,clean,clean! I LOVE to clean houses! I clean other people’s houses but sometimes I hate to clean mine! LOL I used to crosstitch but when I had my 2 boys that was put on the back burner. I’m hoping some day to finish some projects.
    If I gave you a lump of modeling clay or PlayDoh and asked you to make something that represents your life…what would you create and why? I would probably make a heart to let me know that my heart belongs to Jesus and I need to keep it very close to me to remind me every minute of the day.

• Christine Smith says:

Recently my mother-in-law gifted me with a service to clean my home. One of the things I noticed was how the women ARE very creative. They rearrange the sofa pillows, change the accessories arrangement and really make my home sparkle. They can take a roll of toilet tissue and create a TP rose on the end of it…its the most beautiful thing to see! Hope you find time to cross stitch again…my sister-in-law does this and her creations are beautiful and admirable. You need great patience and vision to finish something like that!

I like your heart example…Jesus heals our hearts and keeps them pure.

• Autumn Grant says:

I am excited to start this Bible study! I’ve been wanting to do a Bible study for a long time, but with 3 small children, my hubby’s work schedule (and only having one car), I usually can’t get to “in-person” Bible studies. I crochet, scrapbook and enjoy doing lots of crafty things. With a lump of Play-doh, I would probably make 3 small hearts, each with one of my children’s names and one slightly larger one with my husband’s name on it. This would be a daily reminder, even though I love each one DEARLY, to be gracious and gentle with each of their hearts and not get so stressed out about all of the daily life struggles. Which I so often do and find myself getting frustrated with my family even when it’s not their fault. 🙁

• Karen says:

I am not a creative person, in fact I’m a math teacher! But what I do with my hands is cook dinner for my family and hug my daughter and husband – not very creative but important! If I were to use the molding clay, I would make it into a heart because everyday I want to give my entire heart to Jesus.

• Christine Smith says:

That made me laugh Karen 🙂 My teen daughter is very artistic and creative and failing at algebra. I do believe cooking is creative…so is gardening, writing, decorating your home, etc. Anything that expresses your individuality. Sounds like you need to put modeling clay on your Mother’s Day with list- LOL.

• Jan says:

I love to crochet, make floral arrangements, and garden. When I am outside I continue to be amazed at the beauty of God’s creation right down to the smallest insect! This is where I feel closest to God. If you gave me some clay I would mold ‘wings’ to represent my life. God has set me free from sexual and ritual abuse and helped me put back the shattered pieces of my life. He restored me, I am free….He never gave up on me.

• Christine Smith says:

What a beautiful representation of your journey. I love the story of transformation from brokenness into beauty…it’s in alignment with scripture and the Father’s love. Thank you for sharing this!

• Sally says:

I am not very creative with making things really,but I do sometimes write.
    I am a stay at home mommy with my two year old,and also have teenagers.
    I am thankful for this online bible study,and desperatley wanting to know what God’s full intent for my life is. I am nothing without Him and the hope He brings…

• Christine Smith says:

Writing is such a beautiful and artistic use of words Sally. I admire anyone with the gift of expression through words and I’m a huge fan of books!

• Cheryl S says:

Good Morning Ladies! I am so excited about taking my first online Bible Class. I have loved crafting all my life. My mother who was an awesome self-taught seamstress taught me how to make my first sewing project when I was in the fourth grade! It was a gathered skirt with a zipper in the back and two patch pockets on the front. It has been over fifty years ago since then and I remember it so well. Anyway, several sewing machines later I still love to sew! But my biggest crafting time now days is spent on scrapbooking, card making and other paper projects. I recently took a “Scrapbooking Your Faith” class with my sister and it has been such an inspiration to me. I love putting together inexpensive little gifts to give to friends when we meet for lunch or taking to former coworkers on their birthdays etc. Today, I would simply mold a heart from clay/playdoh. A heart is used as a symbol for love. Love from family as each of my three children call me in the mornings as they began their day; love of God’s creation as I hear the baby birds chirping in my back yard and seeing the raindrops left on my roses from last nights storm, and the love of Jesus Christ for dying on the cross for my sins.
    Have a blessed day everyone!

• Christine Smith says:

I really think the handmade gifts are the best to receive. I’ve saved all the handmade gifts from my children and friends and they have a special places in my home. I know they were touched with love and offered in love….so I’m careful these treasures. I like that you are inspired by nature. Sometimes we’re too busy to hear or see what God has created around us. You’re reminded me to stop and listen to His beauty.

• Carin says:

I would like to do this study but may check in a little late.

• Christine Smith says:

Glad to have you Carin….and I know with certainty that you finish every study you begin! You are loved.

• I am so thankful for this study. I have been longing to strengthen my relationship with God. I searched for an online Bibly Study due and found this site. This is my first study to commit to completing. I feel everything is happening at the right time. Yesterday, there was a new series of sermons was started at church about Pathways to God and how to get closer to Him, which has been on my heart for months. Hearing the message yesterday just reaffirmed by belief that I should be doing this.

What do I like to do with my hands? I love to cook for my loved ones. I love taking the ingredients and turning them into something delicious we all enjoy. I also used to cross stitch. I enjoyed seeing the fruits of my labor when I was done, but just didn’t have the time to devote to it. While I am not very good at it, I enjoy painting canvases. I try to take a class in my town as often as possible.

If given modeling clay, I would make a cross as a reminder of why I am living now. I don’t want to waste anymore of my life on trivial things.

• Christine Smith says:

Don’t feel bad about the studies you didn’t complete Lorrie, it might not have been the season for you to learn and the enemy was doing his best to push you away from your bible. If you feel called near God through His word then make it a first priority in your day. Nothing else matters except this closeness. If you remember the study of Martha and Mary…Martha would be too busy with her kids, her work, her social life and pleasing others so she had no time to sit and listen to Jesus. Mary had the same duties, however when Jesus walked into the room she dropped everything and gave Him her full attention. During this study, pray for a Mary heart and ask God to remind you daily to spend 20 minutes with him. Ask your small group to pray for you also, and do this every week- not just the first two lessons.

I like the image of modeling the cross from clay. I wounder if you’d make one big enough for any guest in your home to see…or small enough to carry in your pocket each day. Just a random thought!

• I would probably make a large cross out of clay to hang on my wall. Then, it would be a reminder for me and everyone else who comes in my house. I have a small coin I carry in my pocket. It has a cross engraved on one side and the other has the reminder, “Every day is a gift from God” on the other side.

• Anne Maxwell says:

Hello from down under it is now Tuesday for me and I am about to go to bed. I love to do any kind of craft. At the moment I am crocheting a blanket for the winter months ahead.
    Out of my play doh I would make a tree. I love how strong trees can be and how it can represent us and how we can have a roots centered in Gods word. The branches give shelter to people in my life that I can share life with
    Anne maxwell
    Australia

• Christine Smith says:

Hi Anne…it’s so exciting to “meet” someone from your part of the world. I love the idea that you are planning for winter by making something now….it reminds me of the sowing and harvest seasons in scripture. Making a tree from modeling clay is quite interesting and very symbolic of God’s word. I wish we were all inside a room together and could share our creations. It would be amazing…though we’d need to have a sleepover because we would not want to end the day!

• Stacie says:

I work with my hands everyday cutting and creating hairstyles. When I’m not working, im home with my four children creating masterpieces of mess(tye-dying t-shirts,making cookies or cupcakes,painting,etc). If given clay, I would make a heart out of it. I’m blessed to have so much enjoyment, so much love in my life…Loving God & making God the center of our lives has blessed me with so much opportunity I will forever be grateful for.

• Christine Smith says:

I admire anyone who can take womens hair and make us look beautiful! I tried tye-dying with my kids…once…and it was quite the adventure. I think we’ll give it another try…now that they’re older we might have better results. I like the image of making a heart from clay…goes right along with this study and what we’re about to learn.

• Laverne (Missy) says:

I would leave my lump as it is jump a lump, but in capital letters I would write “USE ME LORD”
    In this way God would know I am ALWAYS available to Him, even during those times i might forget to study the Word or worship in song..

• Christine Smith says:

Oh sweetheart…I am such a creative person! If we sat beside each other at a table in bible study I’d have my hands all over your modeling clay! I like your image of “use me Lord” inside that lump of clay! The designer in me wouldn’t sit still until I saw something useful come from the mess of clay. I did spend a few years as a volunteer art teacher in my kids Christian school…I could barely contain myself as I watched the kids express themselves. 🙂

• Sharon Lewis says:

I have never been much of a crafty person, nor have I created much visual art, but what I like to create with my hands is music. Music is my first love, and I enjoy playing the piano very much. I have a lot of fun playing contemporary praise music for church services, but I also enjoy playing piano solos that are more traditional, or even classical.

Something else I have enjoyed doing with my hands is making bulletin boards for school. I may not be very crafty, but I have had a blast making my classroom very bright and creative. The teachers are very competitive with this and with decorating their doors, so that makes it even more fun.

• Christine Smith says:

My 10 year old daughter just started piano lessons and her instructor is the worship leader at our church. She closes the door and sings and plays in private…it makes us crazy that she will not share her gift with us. Once we hid a video camera just to hear her playing! She is very shy…

I’m terrible at making bulletin boards and admire anyone who can accomplish it. It amazes me that I can be so artistic and yet fail in two key elements: room mom and bulletin boards. Not my gifts. 🙂 I’m appreciative of Moms like you- your work is not unnoticed.

• Laverne (Missy) says:

God bless all –

I’m not very creative with my hands, but I have received a gift to put pen to paper for many different reasons, I’m not sure if it is to write a book or to blog, I’m still in prayer about it..(smile)

I enjoy writing, I have scraps of paper with words on them from books I’ve read, things I noticed with nature or everyday living. I also like sending emails/mailing letters to my book club members. Just a letter of encouragement of “thinking of you” to break up their week/month.

• Christine Smith says:

Many authors begin by writing blogs and then as they create an audience and voice they have a market for their books! I recommend the book Problogger by Darren Rowse it will help you get moving on that blog 🙂

• tiffany newby says:

If I could do something with my hands I would reach out and help others. I would probably something that would show sadness and broken.

• Christine Smith says:

Praying that your brokenness is molded and shaped by Jesus and out of it will come something beautiful and precious to God. You are loved.

• Melissa W says:

I haven’t made anything with my hands in a long time. But I used to crochet a little about 8 years ago. I taught myself how to do basic crochet and made blankets and scarves for family, and then I had my first child and quickly ran out of time! I’ve always wanted to learn how to paint on canvas, or take a pottery class. If you gave me clay or play-doh to make something that represented my life, I think I would make a house. I’m a sahm to 3 boys with a girl on the way, and everything I do revolves around our home. I also home school my children and so we spend a lot of time inside our home learning, playing, growing and relaxing.

• Christine Smith says:

I remember making a quilt when I was pregnant with my second daughter…and it seems after that I was too busy to make anymore. Most of my crafts involve the kids and our home is filled with pain in every color. When their friends come over we pull out the craft box and everyone makes something to bring home!

• Janet Holman says:

Glad to have this study available. Thanks!

• Carrissa Kaser says:

I can’t express how excited I am that the study has started! The discussion questions for this week are interesting. God has blessed me with an “artist” heart, He led me to this study specifically and I’m so grateful to be here. A few things I love to do with my hands: paint (walls, canvas, faces), sew (not well), style hair, and cook. I’m sure this answer will change during the week as God reveals Himself, but my modeling clay would be a present to represent my life. Everything I have is a gift. I deserve none of it, but it has been generously given to me- friendship, family, adventures, guidance, Truth.

Share a comment with our readers!