James Online Bible Study Week 7

By January 8, 2012James

Welcome back to women’s online bible study as we discuss our final week of James, Mercy Triumphs by Beth Moore. This week was a bit depressing as we saw bible heroes executed or exiled and the Jerusalem church scattered. Yet as we learned from Beth, this scattering planted the seeds for a harvest of Christianity around the world. Imagine living in this time and listening to eyewitness accounts of Jesus and his resurrection. A face-to-face encounter with someone who had  a physical encounter with Jesus is jaw-dropping. More so, living with Jesus from childhood and knowing him through adulthood… is our protagonist James. We’ve just spent the last seven weeks seeing God’s kingdom through his eyes and heart. Wow.

From our study of James, we see a micro and macro view of his brother Christ. We see James the unbeliever evolve into James the martyr. His story is presented as historical fact.  When Beth asks the question “what would you most like to ask James should you meet him in heaven?” my immediate response is…How can I serve my Lord the way you did?

How can we serve the Lord as sisters of Christ. How can we continue the work of James, Peter and John through our own lives. How can we live unchanged after meeting James through the pages of scripture. How can we live together as a church, so the forces of hell cannot overpower us. We can do all things through the lessons learned in our study. Mercy triumphs.

Thank you for participating in the study with us!

There are some special prayer needs from members participating in this bible study. Please take some time this week and pray for them. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.

Beth Moore Quotes

• Maybe we were never meant to arrive at our destinations unblistered.
  • Whether or not James saw a glimpse of Jesus before he died, he most assuredly caught one after.
  • We have a Jewish Messiah, and his earthly heritage is our spiritual birthright.
  • To Christ’s great credit, we did not quit.

1. What question would you ask James should you meet him in heaven? (page 195 )
  2. What about James life impacted you most? (page 209 )
  3. What scripture reference from James stood out to you most and why? (page 209 )
  4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson.
  5. Would you recommend James Mercy Triumphs to a friend? Why or why not.

• Jennifer D says:

5. Would you recommend James Mercy Triumphs to a friend? Why or why not. Yes I would recommend James to all people. To learn about James is very important. We see that James was kind, mercy, and decent human. He spoke the truth and he listened to all. He cared about all people.

• Barbara says:

1.What question would you ask James should you meet him in heaven? (page 195 )
    How did you live with such kindness, such mercy. We all THINK we do, but few of us actually accomplish it. How did you so faithfully live in the Peace of the Lord, in all the turmoil and all the struggle. His example of a peaceful, Christ filled life just amazes me. I want to be in that state of belief, that I am peaceful no matter the outer turmoil. I would want to ask James to continue to show me how to live in my walk with Christ.
    James 1:19: Everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger.

• Marietta says:

What question would you ask James should you meet him in heaven? (page 195 )

What did Jesus say to you that changed your mind? Obviously your complete heart was won over.

What about James life impacted you most? (page 209 )

I love that James taught Christianity to his Jewish people. That is a full circle completion for me. It is right that our Jewish messiah should bring the world together and James contined to hold on to the Jewish faith while simultaneously embracing Christ, teaching others to do the same.

What scripture reference from James stood out to you most and why? (page 209 )
    “…Receive the crown of life …” I’m excited to persevere, to press on, as Paul says, to win the prize. It is not just life but life more abundant that Christ came to give us. Following him is the way.

Would you recommend James Mercy Triumphs to a friend? Why or why not.

I absolutely would recommend this study to a friend and have done so. The lessons James teaches are practical and bring together the concepts of faith and its completion in what we do. In this world, today, we are easily lead to rationalizing our actions. The book of James clarifies the importance of clinging to the word of God for His truth and leadership. I find peace in obedience and often think of “… Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.”

• Mindy says:

1.What question would you ask James should you meet him in heaven? (page 195 )
    I’d be very interested in Jesus’ early life and, as Jesus’ brother that grew up with him, I’d want to know a lot of details about those years.

2.What about James life impacted you most? (page 209 )
    I was struck by his non-wavering belief once he DID believe and his fearless pursuit to bring people together in God (Jews and Gentiles). I was struck also by his demeanor, intelligence and credibility while being compassionate and non-judgmental. He really was concerned of other’s spiritual and physical welfare.

2:22 “You see that his {Abraham’s} faith was working together with his works, and his faith was perfected by works.” I realize Abraham had faith in God. However, he believed so much that he took the next step in action/works – giving a major sacrifice (his son) to the Lord, trusting. And the Lord was faithful and used that action/work for good, which further increased Abraham’s original faith in God… that faith was perfected. I thought about this for quite awhile. While I certainly believe in God, I see that giving God something or doing something that may seem a sacrifice/scary/a risk is putting that faith into an action/work and trusting that God will use whatever I’ve done for his good, which will then increase the trust and faith I had in the first place. Awesome cycle!

4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson.
    I loved page 209’s exercise. It was great to read James out loud to God, and I really liked selecting a verse that particularly resonated in our hearts and writing it out for each chapter. I appreciate Beth’s studies so much. This exercise really helped summarize the study in a personal way, and was a great ‘take away.’

5.Would you recommend James Mercy Triumphs to a friend? Why or why not.
    Yes, absolutely. Not only do you learn so much about James, but there are so many important lessons and reminders that apply significantly to our own lives.

• Rhonda says:

1.What question would you ask James should you meet him in heaven? (page 195 )
    What was it like when you realized your brother was the Messiah?
    2.What about James life impacted you most? (page 209 )
    The fact he grew up with a perfect brother and went on to become one of His most followers, and was willing to die to spread His message.
    The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. I think we all need to be reminded of this from time to time. I think if we don’t get a lightening bolt, we sometimes think God is not listening.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson.
    Love the history we read about, and really enjoyed Melissa’s contribution to this study.
    5.Would you recommend James Mercy Triumphs to a friend? Why or why not?
    Most definately! As one of the previous woman stated earlier, Satan has been working on me throughout this study. Some days, I had to make myself study. Other days, I couldn’t even make myself read! Yet, I persevered and finished up yesterday. I believe it is because Satan knew I really was going to benefit from this study and wanted to keep me from completing it. James has been the most useful studies I have completed here at womensbiblecafe. I have enjoyed and learned a lot from all of them, but James was what my soul has been thirsting for. Even though it has been a difficult time getting through this, I appreciate your commentary and hope your health improves before our next round of studies.

• Amy S. says:

I loved this study so much and am sad that it is over. I would highly recommend this study to others, because it is as encouraging as it is convicting and profound. I strongly feel that this is a book that I’ll want to keep forever to reference all that I’ve learned by studying James. I loved Day 5 when we filled in all of the rectangles of the scriptures that most stood out and all Beth listed that she wanted to happen to her after the study. “Will we simply have another study under our belts or will we have Scripture in our bones?” (p. 210) Whoa! I want the messages of this book to be embedded in me forever. This was a powerful study; at times it hit me hard but I know I’ll be better for it.

1.What question would you ask James should you meet him in heaven? (page 195 ) What did Jesus say to you when Jesus appeared to you following his ressurrection?
    2.What about James life impacted you most? (page 209 ) That James ardently supported Jesus’ teachings and became so influential in the early church.
    3.What scripture reference from James stood out to you most and why? (page 209 ) 1:23 – Be a doer of the Word.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson. The Legacy of James, pg 207 – Simply put, the faith James works out is Judaism perfected and fulfilled by the life and wisdom of Jesus.
    5.Would you recommend James Mercy Triumphs to a friend? Why or why not. I would definitely recommend it. My bible commentary indicated that the Epistle of James was known as Wisdom Literature. It is to the New Testament what Job, Proverbs and Ecclesiastes are to the Old Testament. I believe this study will stay will me for a long time.
    Thank you Christine for leading this study!!!

3.What scripture reference from James stood out to you the most and why? James 3: 5-12…..controlling the tongue….I have a hard time with that part of my mouth……I just unusally say what I want to say with no thought or care if I am mad or upset. This causes alot of trouble in my life.

Would you recommend James Mercy Triumphs to a friend? Why or why not? Yes, I would, this is a very good study…..even if Satan was in my playground most of it. Others too I heard.

I have more than one question for James, but the biggest would be WHY?

Blessing to all and see you at the next study.

As always thanks Christine for doing this study, being here for us, and keeping this site open for all of us.

3. What scripture reference from James stood out to you most and why? (page 209)

Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord’s coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains. James 5:7

Beth’s teaching on “Between the Rains” in the Session Seven video was incredibly encouraging and I will never forget it.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson.

The church history Beth gave on Day Three was awesome; I couldn’t get enough. I am very interested in reading more history now! Any suggestions on good books on church history?

AND

I did not even see the series conclusion coming in the Session Eight video! Oh my gosh, I had goose bumps!

5. Would you recommend James Mercy Triumphs to a friend? Why or why not.

I absolutely would recommend this study to anyone and everyone. This is good stuff!

I found the Jerusalem Church history fascinating as well and shared it with my kids last night. The awesome intelligence… that God would plan to send the church into exile in order to plant seeds…so AMAZING.

• Stephanie says:

I too am very sad to be at the end of this journey with James. This study has been so convicting and encouraging in my walk. I would most definitely recommend this study. It has been awesome. I think the scripture that stood out to me most was: Do not merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. James 1:22. For me that just sums it all up. We are to live out our faith and really walk the walk.

If there was one question I could ask James, I would love to know what it was like to grow-up with Jesus. Can you just imagine??

• Glynis says:

I am SO SAD to see our walk with James end! Although, I’m fortunate to be leading this study on Sunday morning at my church, so I get to stick with him a little longer! I knew a little bit about James before we started, but spending seven weeks getting to know this pillar of the faith has been amazing. The one thing I want to take from this is something that Beth said in the video for session 4 (paraphrasing): We should never get the point that the Word of God does not continue to TRANSFORM us. I’ve done a lot of studies; I’ve led a lot of studies; and sometimes I close the book and check it off my list. I want the life of James to make me see the world in a different way and to take root down in my soul. I loved this study a lot and I’ve already recommended it to every one I know!

• Annesta says:

For me, James 1:2-6 served to ground me in this study. I was behind most of the study but I persevered and was able to complete this endeavor that I began. what a blessing. I have learned to look for joy in trouble and to ask for wisdom…believing that God will come through.
    I loved this study and learned so much.