Loving Well Week Three

By November 6, 2011Loving Well

Welcome back to the Womens Bible Cafe as we continue our study of Loving Well by Beth Moore. This study has fulfilled every expectation I had: it’s from the heart, it speaks to the heart and it brings light from the heart. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I’m enjoying the simplicity of the video format for bible study. It’s unique, and yet it works well. I can imagine how those 19,000+ women and men felt as they saw this live as Beth Moore spoke from the platform. At home with my computer screen I can still feel the power and weight of her words, enjoy the nonverbal expressions and let the teaching fall right into my heart. A few times I had to pause the video and shed some tears, or say a prayer. A few times I had to pause the video and re-play Beth’s words. I am so excited to watch the final video. Once we’ve finished, I imagine I’ll go back and replay the series over and over again- it’s just that GOOD!

Our guest post is written by Raye Holmes. Raye is leading a small group study in her home and sharing her experiences with us at the Womens Bible Cafe to create a more intimate community. We’ve encouraged her to get personal and share her story with you…a story of love.

Loving Well Bible Study has forced me to deal with some really deep roots and allow God to pull them out of me. Had it not been for the Power of God’s Love I know I would have never made it through. If my last week’s blog update offended any of you or if you felt it was not what you needed, please know I posted what was in my heart. Not as an “all about me pity party” but as a testimony to the Power of God’s Love for me.

As I think of the Power of God’s love I am reminded of the song Power of Your Love  that was written by Geoff Bullock and has been sung my many various other artists. I am sure most of you have heard and sung this song and if you have not I encourange you to listen. To those who have heard it; have we ever really listened to the words and mediated on them. This song goes so well with the Loving Well  Bible Study because it brings out what Beth Moore brought out, just differently. And that the only way we can love ourselves and others is by God’s power!

Before we can ever love, rather, it is ourselves or others we must first grasp that power of God’s love! That no matter our past or weakness or any other issues God’s greatest power  is there- and will always be there. When we struggle with the testy’s in our lives, that power of love is there. We must look at testy not with our own natural eyes, but with the power of God’s love. When we see a ‘foe’ – that enemy in the grocery store or even in church; we don’t go down another aisle, but we reach out to our enemys in the power of God’s love. When we feel as if we messed up once again, or may think God has abandoned us, we don’t allow the enemy to condemn us, but we look up to the mighty God and we call out to Him to pour down the Power of His Love in our hearts!

Once our hearts are full of God’s Love – it is then that love begins to leak out and goes to others. To the homeless person on the street, holding the sign up for food, we won’t look the other way, but we will roll our window down and give them money or go to the nearest fast food and bring them back some food. When our hearts are full of God’s Love – it is then we take testy out to lunch or day of pedicures and medicures and love on her. When our hearts are full of God’s love it is then we see that person whom we have hated, we embrace with God’s mercy and grace that He has embraced us with.

I pray as you go through your week that you ask God for the Power of His Love to be upon you and fill you up with such overflowing love that is spills out to everyone you come across this week!

~Raye

Homework For This Week

• Watch the last video session for Loving Well by Beth Moore
  • If you are using the Loving Well Journal, complete week four
  • Register for the new James, Mercy Triumphs online bible study

Group Discussion- Please post a comment and answer one or as many questions as you want

1. What can you do to minister to your testy or foe?
  2. How do you feel when you give, with no earthly possibility of being repaid?
  3. What might you gain by forgiving?
  4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson.

Author WBC

Find online bible studies for women at the Womens Bible Cafe. It's also a place where you can meet other Christian women from around the world and fellowship together. If you're unable to a attend a church small group bible study then the Bible Study Cafe is just right for you! Look under "Current Studies" to see what we're reading. Bring your book and let's study the Word together.

More posts by WBC

• erin says:

1.What can you do to minister to your testy or foe?

Love them regardless of how they may act or treat others. Love them not because you FEEL like you love them or even fake it, but pray that God helps you to love them the way HE loves them.

2.How do you feel when you give, with no earthly possibility of being repaid?

Good! It is a blessing to give to others and know that you (or I) had a part in showing God’s love to someone.

3.What might you gain by forgiving?

Forgiving is easier said than done. I don’t consider myself to have any enemies, but I do know what it’s like to have someone be rude or snide, snotty, catty, whatever. I can gain the redemption of being set free from a lifetime of anger and sin that creeps it’s way into our children and our home as well.

4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson.
    I love how she is passionate about Her relationship with God. Getting down on her knees to pray in front of crowds. She rocks!

• Christina says:

Oops I think I’m posting ahead of the study’s questions. Sorry!

• Christina says:

Thankful for this study 🙂 What a cool needed experience/study/community!

What can you do to minister to your testy or foe? Put myself in their shoes. And think about the love they need and aren’t getting and the love I need and am not getting from this world. Think and consider the ways God can pour into my heart and use me to continue to pour out His love and shine His light. Let my testy know that I love them for better or for worse. Be there for them. And go to God to find my ultimate love.
    How do you feel when you give, with no earthly possibility of being repaid? Better knowing my needs are already all met. But knowing that I also need God’s complete help for this humanly impossible task.
    What might you gain by forgiving? Getting to know what love is more and more.
    Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson. I loved Beth’s passion and how she shares about hearing and talking with God. I loved the story she told about the man’s hair that she brushed and how God used her faithful obedience and stepping out.

• Allison Mayes says:

What can you do to minister to your testy or foe?

I found it interesting when Beth said our testys have been chosen for us. She said they have been literally positioned in our lives…assigned to us for God to use to complete something that is lacking in us. She also said that if we never do stand up and have the character of Christ and allow the love of God to flow through us, we will continue to be tested. I am so glad that I am participating in this video study. I wish I would have been aware of this earlier in life…I am sure I would have handled certain situations and relationships differently. That being said, I feel I will be ready in the future to consider that the testy in our lives is an opportunity of growth for us. We don’t know what stuff the testy has been through that is keeping them from being a Joy. I also feel that my stuff made me a testy to others as well. I pray to be more tolerant of others and more willing to love because God first loved me.

How do you feel when you give, with no earthly possibility of being repaid?

I am guessing it is similar to a parent taking care of an infant/baby. The baby has no way to verbalize gratitude. In fact, all the baby does is cry, need a diaper change and keep you up at night needing to be fed. Testys can be needy as well, so we need to learn to love them no matter what they need from us and regardless if they even realize what we are doing for them because of God’s love.

What might you gain by forgiving?

I have to quote Beth again because she always says things in a way that gets right to the heart of the matter. If we don’t forgive it keeps the power over us. Forgiving those in our lives that have us in bondage sets us free from repeating the emotional abuse that we are replaying over and over again and again. We don’t necessarily forget, but we no longer allow them to have that power over us. I have gained freedom from that bondage.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson.

I learned that I was a testy to others because of the stuff in my life that I had not dealt with. Knowledge is power, so I feel I will be better equipped to deal with others in future testy situations and love them because God first loved me.

• Christy says:

1.What can you do to minister to your testy or foe?
    I chant “God is perfect love and I can love anyone through anything when I’m filled with his perfect love”!! This reminds me who I am in Christ and allows me not to be influenced by their negativity. I can then stay the course with the loving message I set out to share!
    2.How do you feel when you give, with no earthly possibility of being repaid?
    I feel like I get a glimpse of what Jesus felt while he was here!

1. What can you do to minister to your testy or foe? Just let them be testy, and thiersevles, some day hope that they will realize how testy they are. Keep prayiing for them and keep on longings them even if you want to just run away from them. I can be one testy person. Minister to a foe…….pray for them and forgive them. Remember to love them both.

2. How do you feel when you, give, with no earthly possibility of being repaid. When I can do this great and went not unhappy. Givings with knowing you will never be repaid is the best kind of giving there is.

3. What might you gain by forgiving? Peace and a feeling that it is all behind you. No mattere how long it takes to forget someone, and no matter how many times you have tired…..there just a hugh sight of relief from you.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson. Beth’s hair bush story in the DVD. It was so funny watching her face. I can see me trying to tell the Lord no. It would never work.

1.What can you do to minister to your testy or foe? I have a far testy and whenever we get together (about twice a year) I just want to run away screaming. I pray that God will guide me in loving her, that through God’s love I will become a different person – not wanting to verbally strike back. Realize that these are teaching experiences (as difficult and painful as they may first appear) and that I will become compassionate and understanding.
    2.How do you feel when you give, with no earthly possibility of being repaid? Selfless giving is a heart warming, joyful and fulfilling experience.
    3.What might you gain by forgiving? Peace and relief that the person no longer has control of me.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson. Beth’s videos are such treasures. My heart is touched by the power of her teaching. Also, pg 36 – ‘Thankfully, God never calls us to do something He doesn’t also empower us to do. Because His Spirit lives in us, we have to power to love beyond ourselves.’

1. What can you do to minister to your testy or foe?
    I can be patient with them; I can forgive them as often as necessary; I can ask God to show me what their need or hurt is and give them encouragement in those areas.
    2. How do you feel when you give, with no earthly possibility of being repaid?
    I feel good; I feel satisfied; I feel as if I’ve done something important; and I feel as if I’ve truly allowed God to reach through me to that person.
    3. What might you gain by forgiving?
    Freedom and peace; God’s pleasure
    4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson.
    I enjoyed giving thought to and listing some possibilities I can explore for ministry on Day 4 and I also enjoyed listing practical ways I can express love to the people in my life who are Joy, Testy, Foe and Far on Day 7.
    Dear children, let’s not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions. 1 John 3:18 NLT

• Caroll says:

1.What can you do to minister to your testy or foe? First I’ve really had to stand back and work on my own emotions to the situation. I remind myself of how I want to be treated and not judged by others and I am doing my best to give this to others. I honestly think some parts of my human’ness are simply dealing with my own bad habits of wanting to go the other way rather than dealing head on with “testy”. I pray and pray over this situation. I do not give reaction to testy and answer in soft calm words.
    2.How do you feel when you give, with no earthly possibility of being repaid? I always feel full and good to give and do not expect to ever be repaid…Paying if forward has always been a good way to live.
    3.What might you gain by forgiving? Freedom from nagging and negative thinking and peace of mind.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson. My own scarey realization that I can at times be testy and I don’t want to be testy!!!

• Julie says:

1.What can you do to minister to your testy or foe? (p. 39)
    Praying for testy daily that God provides strength for me to continue to share his love and trust that they are in my life to become a better me though God. Revealing my “testy” in me to ask for healing & strength through forgiveness in Christ.

2.How do you feel when you give, with no earthly possibility of being repaid? (p. 43)
    I feel happier when I give to others my time without expecting or receiving anything in return. Exercising selflessness is very rewarding — with knowing I displayed God to others through my actions.

3.What might you gain by forgiving? (p. 45) A stronger and better relationship both with testy and with God.

4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson.
    This week I learned more about loving different types of people. God asks me to share my love for him and His love for me to ALL types of peple I come in contact with. I know God has equipped me for each interaction and every type of person. God reveals in me — that I too can be all types and I need to recognize and ask for healing and strength. I found Testy to be the hardest for me as they are negative, energy stealers, depressing and try to draw me into their misery. My constant prayer is for God to provide me with the strength and knowledge to know how to respond to the negativity, the anger, the selfishness that surrounds me. I ask the Lord to give me his wisdom and power to show them love and kindness, to reveal my love for God to them in my ways, actions and words to live in the Spirit-filled life and not of the flesh.

1. I can minister to testy or foe by being aware of God’s love for me and letting His love pass through me to others. I can resist the urge to seek revenge or avoid the person; instead, reaching out with Christ-like love.
    2. For years I felt used when my giving to others was not repaid. It made me feel like a doormat. Then in bible study and reading scriptures I saw how Jesus gave from His heart, and it became my desire to be more like Him. So I let go of my self-centered needs and started submitting to God’s will, not mine.
    3. I have forgiven, and I’ve gained peace. I’ve allowed God the power to judge and punish, while keeping a pure heart freed of bitterness, anger, hatred and desire to get even. I keep my eyes on God and off the offender.
    4. My favorite moment was watching Beth’s body language. I enjoy the passion Beth brings into bible study. 🙂

• Allison Mayes says:

I guess I share your answer to question 2 – I can relate to what you refer to as a self-centered need to be repaid…or at least feel appreciated. Thanks for your honesty, Christine. I almost wrote something similar but, I changed my answer.