Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World Week 6

We’ve just finished our online bible study of Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver. Congratulations to all of you who finished the study and explored your inner Martha and Mary these past six weeks! This week we learned about keeping balance between service and worship. Our focus is finding balance between our relationship with people and our relationship with God.

Like the tetertotter example in our book, we need to find a place of comfort so we are not burdened by weight or flying into the air! Joanna writes “we were created for the intimate fellowship of the Lord’s Prayer but also entrusted with the ministry of the Good Samaritan.”  As you go about your week, ask yourself if you are in balance or need to make an adjustment.You may need to respond “no” to some things in order to say “yes” to opportunities God places before you. Learn to discern between God’s will and your will, and follow His voice. Watch when the tetertotter tips and Martha or Mary begins to dominate your life. Pray for opportunities for both Living Room Intimacy and Kitchen Service. You’ll find resources in Appendix B and C for building up these two gifts. Another good resource is The Flylady. She teaches how to bless your home rather than clean it, and how to manage your time so you have more balance.  “As we spend time in the living room, walking and talking with him, we fill the hulls of our lives with the right things of God. Out of that abundance will come both a steadfastness in the midst of storms and a surplus we can share with others,” writes Joanna.

In our final chapter, Joanna reminds us to let go of the Super-Christian belief and embrace Christianity as a process. We grow into balanced lives, and once we find it, we need to work to maintain the balance. A single bible study or two hours in church on Sunday mornings does not complete the process. Our Christian life needs to include the daily and constant presence of Christ. Our focus needs to be off ourselves, our friends, our problems and our blessings and our focus needs to be on Him: in everything we do, say and think. Especially in the tests and trials that refine us for His glory. Focus on the journey and keep your heart in Jesus. May the Guest Book of your heart and home always have the name Jesus written inside it!

Please visit our Prayer Wall and post a prayer request or praise report. Take time this week to lift others up with your prayers.

Joanna Weaver Quotes

• We thrive on a life that is rhythmically balanced, not standing still.
  • Christianity is a process and not an event. It is a journey, not a destination.
  • If we want to be like Jesus, we won’t be able to escape the refining process.
  • Perseverance allows God to take our muddled messes and turn them into miracles.
  • We all want a testimony but we’d rather skip the “test” that gives us one.

1. Look at the chart called “Signs you may need more time in the  kitchen/ or living room.” Do you need to spend more time in Living Room intimacy or in Kitchen Service?  (page 182-183 )
  2. When you face a trial which approach do you take?  A) The All-Star Wrestling Approach of “God help me a little here!”  B) The Job Approach of “where are you God and why don’t you care?”  C) the Jonah Approach of “Forget this, I’m outta here!” or D) The Jesus Approach of “shape me Lord, I am yours!”
  3. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
  4. Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not?

• Melissa says:

1. This was very interesting! I see signs of both in my life. My current struggle seems to be in the kitchen as I battle most of those points at times.

2. Occasionally D but most of the time I try to solve it myself until I’m exhausted and THEN I bring it to Him. It’s frustrating. Why do I do this when I know He would have taken it from me all along?! Surrender, then surrender again. I’m working on learning to seek Him first!

3. So much! I loved the message that Christianity is a journey rather than a destination.

4. Absolutely! I have grown so much through this study and pray that others would experience the same.
    This format has been a perfect fit for me- Thank you!

I couldn’t agree with you more Melissa, I love this bible study format too. Thank you God and Christine for making this available to us!

• Jenn says:

Sorry, I missed last week. Things have been crazy, with computer problems and my Grandmother being in the hospital, but I am back for the last week!

Absolutely, I need to spend more time in Living Room intimacy. Irritability and frustration, low joy threshold, a sense of isolation, increased drivenness, sense of dryness and emptiness. I don’t really like looking at these signs.

2.When you face a trial which approach do you take? A) The All-Star Wrestling Approach of “God help me a little here!” B) The Job Approach of “where are you God and why don’t you care?” C) the Jonah Approach of “Forget this, I’m outta here!” or D) The Jesus Approach of “shape me Lord, I am yours!”
    I am working toward D! However, for the time being I too bounce around between A, B & C.

3.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    I love “The Lord Is My Pace Setter” on page 199. I am going to print it out and read it eveyday!

4.Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not?
    Yes, I would recommend this bible study to a friend, it is a great way to be able to connect to both God and other women.

1.Look at the chart called “Signs you may need more time in the kitchen/ or living room.” Do you need to spend more time in Living Room intimacy or in Kitchen Service? (page 182-183 ) Living Room. I am sometimes irritable and frustrated, feel empty and have a low joy threshold.
    I seem to bounce around between A, B, & C depending on the difficulty of the trial. My goal is D and I am working towards it but have a long ways to go. Thank God that one of my strengths is perseverence.
    3.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. The gift of the Sabbath rest. I work in the church on Sunday so I need to find another day for Sabbath rest. Another favorite moment was learning that Christianity is a process. I always felt that I fell short of the mark because I didn’t feel like I was in the same spiritual place as others around me. I am a work in progress and I no longer need to compare myself to others in this journey. I never should have compared myself to others but I did.
    4.Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not? Yes I would recommend this study. It’s a great book about self examination and how to balance our time and life. I feel that Mary and Martha became real to me.

We can all see ourselves as perfect Christians, in which case we would not need Jesus or the Holy Spirit to guide us. Or we can all realize we are imperfect Christians and we need the Light to lead us. I’m thankful to be an imperfect Christian, on a journey with God. 🙂 Lord, fill our hearts with JOY and let the cup overflow with your love and blessings.

• Jennifer says:

1.Look at the chart called “Signs you may need more time in the kitchen/ or living room.” Do you need to spend more time in Living Room intimacy or in Kitchen Service? (page 182-183 ) I need to spend more time in the living room. A sense of emptiness…with Jesus..needs to be filled. I need to take time and sit in the quiet.

4.Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not? Yes! I am actually giving this book to my mother. It realy helped me focus on where my time needs to be spent.

• Sheree says:

This is a very good question. My first humanly instinct is to flee, run from the trial and try to out-run it with all my might, but no matter how hard I would try to run, I always had to eventually come back to deal with it. So I have learned over the years to face it head-on by taking the “Jesus approach” and have Him to mold me into the person I need to be throughout the trial…I know He will see me through, He’s not going to let me burn in the fire, and I won’t smell like smoke. The experience is always a teaching lesson, makes me stronger, able to face the future without fear and to share with others who may be strugging with similar experiences. I have learned to “Consider it pure joy, Sheree, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything” (James 1:2-4).

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. I love the reading about “The Gift of Sabbath Rest” on pages 184-186. There is good reason why God gave us the Sabbath so we can just rest in Him, “cease all labor” and just enjoy being with my Lord and Savior by worshipping Him. My Sabbath consists of Sunday church worship, lunch out at a restaurant with my family (so I don’t have to cook) and home for a nice afternoon nap). This is the only day of the week that I actually get to take a nap. My batteries get re-charged, and I am ready to face another busy work week. We all need that…if we disobey God and not observe the Sabbath rest, we will eventually end up burned out and possibly end up in the hospital. To tell you the truth, it really is very nice to let everything go on the Sabbath and just concentrate on worshipping our Lord and Savior with a group of believers and rest. The chores will be there the next day I promise. We just need to believe God when He gives us these instructions because He knows what is best for all of us.

Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not? Yes, I have already recommended it to my Wednesday night Bible Study group. We are reading “Lazarus Awakening” right now, and it is an awesome study as well…goes perfect with “Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World.” I have really enjoyed reading and studying this book. 🙂

• Monica says:

1. I definitely need to spend more time in Kitchen service.
    2. A) The All-Star Wrestling Approach of “God help me a little here!” . But I realize when I’m asking Him for help like that, it probably means I need to spend more time with Him to see results.
    3. I really enjoyed the last chapter in general. It wrapped everything up quite nicely.
    4. Yes, I’ve been talking about this book to other Christian women. It definitely spoke to me and made me realize how much more I need to work on things with Him and with me.

1. Living room intimacy. I find signs saying that I am a grouch and have a temper more if I do not spend time in the Living Room with Jesus. I am a much happier person when I am there with Him.

2. B approach i think more…….were are you when I need you….please answer me please. I need more of the Jesus approach…….. I always need shaping up.

3. Being a Christine is a process…….I realize now it takes time to be what the Lord wants of you.

4. Yes, I would.

As always Christine thanks for doing this. I wish I could give you a big HUG.

Julie,

Good answers. Thanks for stucking this out. I am proud of you. Are you going to do the next study? Blessiing to you and yours.

Sue

1. Look at the chart called “Signs you may need more time in the kitchen/ or living room.” Do you need to spend more time in Living Room intimacy or in Kitchen Service? (page 182-183)

After reviewing this chart, I found that I need to spend more time in the kitchen. This was a surprise to me because at the beginning of this study, I believed I was already more of a Martha. I have realized throughout the study though that I was looking at Martha’s work all wrong. I was seeing it as just “work” and not necessarily in the aspect of “serving” (if that makes sense). I am a very hard and focused “worker” but I do not do a lot of “serving”. I spend the largest portion of my time studying the Word and now know that I need to lean into my weak side of service. Thank you Father for revealing this to me through this study; I am forever grateful.

My approach used to be “Forget Nineveh – I’m headed for the Bahamas.” but I really try now to go straight to God for his help and guidance, as in “I know that you have allowed this Lord, what is it you are trying to tell me or teach me?”

3. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

“Christianity is a process and not an event. It is a journey, not a destination.” (Page 195)
    This statement was profound for me. I have lived my entire Christian life as if it were an event or a destination to be reached and have been greatly frustrated at times due to this. I am so relieved to find out that I’m not doing it all wrong after all! I felt like a new woman after reading this.

4. Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not?

I would definitely recommend this bible study to anyone looking for more balance in their Christian life.

• Julie says:

1. Look at the chart called “Signs you may need more time in the kitchen/ or living room.” Do you need to spend more time in Living Room intimacy or in Kitchen Service? (page 182-183 )
    I need to spend more time in the Living Room. While I do feel the need for self-indulgence at times, I had more signs that I need to spent time in the living room, such as getting irritable and frustrated (although this is definitely getting better since I did this Bible Study), Increased drivenness, and sometimes being uncomfortable with quiet, although in the past few weeks I have actually enjoyed times when the television is turned off.
    2. When you face a trial which approach do you take? A) The All-Star Wrestling Approach of “God help me a little here!” B) The Job Approach of “where are you God and why don’t you care?” C) the Jonah Approach of “Forget this, I’m outta here!” or D) The Jesus Approach of “shape me Lord, I am yours!” I take the All-Star Wrestling Approach–urgently asking (or telling) God to give me some help. I’m still working on the Jesus Approach. It’s so hard to see trials as an opportunity to grow and it’s going to take a lot of effort for me to reach my goal of being able to take this approach. But, I have to remember that this is a process and I will achieve that in time.
    3. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. I really liked how Joanna said that being Christian is a process. I think that’s important to remember when we make mistakes. I am not going to be perfect. I am always learning and need to keep my eyes set on God and trying to live like Christ.
    4. Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not? I have already recommended this to a couple of friends. It really opened my eyes and motivated me to make some changes, such as relying on God more, giving worries up to him, so I can put more focus on my relationship with God rather than trivial things.