Brave Bible Study Week 4

By August 7, 2011Brave

Welcome back to our bible study on Brave by Angela Thomas. We just finished reading week four and learned how  trembling hearts find comfort and strength in a Sovereign God. Angela shared her personal story of fear and a beautiful story of comfort and bravery from knowing who we are in Christ. She writes “The physical body gasps for air when we cannot breathe, just as the spiritual body gasps for grace when we are in need.” We discover that God knows our need, even when He seems silent. Our fear draws us closer to the One who comforts and loves us by Grace.

Choosing to call upon God is a choice. You can believe that He hears and comforts His children, or you can believe that man determines your destiny. Throughout scripture we see evidence and examples of people calling out for God, and He answers. This is one of the reasons why bible study is so essential to spiritual growth. By staying in the Word and feeding from it, we stay out of the world and feeding on worldviews. Digest scripture words and live “under the authority of a loving, eternal God who does not flinch, doubt or guess,” as Angela Thomas recommends. Grasp the inner comfort that is given to you from a loving and knowing Father, the I AM.

Abba.

Please visit our Prayer Wall and post a prayer or a praise report. Before you leave, take some time and pray for someone’s need. Lift others up as God has lifted you up. Send up prayers for the Lord to hear and answer.

Angela Thomas Quotes

• Those who are in Christ are being made brave.
  • Our Conqueror is the only One who can save us from our fears.
  • Our God knows our great need.
  • Exercising your faith is a choice.
  • Even when God is silent and you can’t hear Him speak, He is still your only answer.
  • If God were going to abandon you, He never would have sent His son.
  • If God were going to abandon you, Jesus never would have gone to the cross.
  • The woman who believes in the sovereignty of God finds a quick comfort in her troubles.

1. How can you “be of good cheer” even when you are trembling inside? (page 89 )
  2. How has your suffering helped you turn outward toward others? (page 97 )
  3. What is your first response when trouble comes? (page 99 )
  4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

• Jennifer D says:

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. Page 91 at the bottom of the page. Reading Psalm 22. Page 104 the poem in the middle of the page by Hannah Whitall Smith

• Allison says:

One word: Faith

Since the Greek word for “be of good cheer” is “therasite which means be of good courage, we need to be strong and courageous in times of fear.

2. How has your suffering helped you turn outward toward others? (page 97 )

I became a good parent to my four children, breaking the chain of the abuses I suffered during a painfully dysfunctional childhood. I still have the scars of insecurity, but I have much to be thankful for in the 26 years since becoming a mother.

3. What is your first response when trouble comes? (page 99 )

I tend to over-react. I tend to be over-emotional. I tend to think about possible negative outcomes.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

To be reminded that God is in control of everything and that He is the God of all comfort. I pray that I will remember when trouble comes.

• Victoria says:

I know that I am about a week behind, but God is showing me so much and at the exact time that I need it. So here are my answers to the questions from Week 4! 🙂

1) How can you “be of good cheer” even when you are trembling inside? (page 89 )
    Smile through the pain–it helps it even just a little! If I make myself smile, thinking of the good things in my life, the blessings from God, like my children, my husband, the beautiful nature around me…I can breathe just a little easier!

2) How has your suffering helped you turn outward toward others? (page 97 )
    Give advice to friends and family—or better said as sharing my testimony may encourage friends and family…it’s not so much “advice” as it is sharing the great things that God has done in my life, even through suffering!

3) What is your first response when trouble comes? (page 99 )
    “Who to call?” “What can I do?” Google, Money, A Plan, etc. I always seem to reach for something tangible or worldly first…I have been recognizing this more and more and trying to stop myself. so that I call on God first!!

4) Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    Day 5 was AMAZING for me! Perfectly on time, even though I am a week behind in the study!
    “Sinful men or a fallen world do not determine my life’s destiny.”
    “He works out everything. He brings everything under His lordship. He sustains everything.”
    Also Day 4 pg. 103 was another confirmation answer to a prayer that I’ve been praying “my, friend, hold on.”
    It was a WOW God Bible study week for sure!!!!

• Rhonda says:

Being of an age where I have had as many downs as I have ups, I am able to see that The Lord has truly carried me through some desperate times in my life. God has used my weaknesses to show me His strength and when I was timid He was Bold enough for both of us. He has given me patience when I prayed for it and bravado when I needed it. I may not always look brave but with Him beside me, I have never fallen. My favorite part of the study was about David. I can so relate to his struggles and humanity. I want so much to do the right thing but struggle everyday with doing it, even with God’s help. I thank God every night that David was a man after God’s own heart, enabling me to know Rhonda can be a woman after God’s own heart!!

1.How can you “be of good cheer” even when you are trembling inside? (page 89 )
    Looking on the bright side of things… keeping a positive attitude by focusing on God.
    2.How has your suffering helped you turn outward toward others? (page 97 )
    It helps me not be judgmental and helps me be able to empathize.
    3.What is your first response when trouble comes? (page 99 )
    Distraction, do mindless things so I don’t have to think about it.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    JOhn 16:33; that is one of my favorite verses. Also, I liked the exercise on pg. 101-102 to help me focus on where God is and how I am not alone.

1. How can you “be of good cheer” even when you are trembling inside? (page 89) Knowing that Jesus loves and cares for me. Having joy in Him.

2. How has your suffering helped you turned outward toward others? (page 97) To offer people help in time of illness and pain. Be more compassionate toward others.

3. What is your first response when trouble comes? (page 99) Pray, call a friend or family……sometimes runaway.

• Jean says:

My sufferings have definitely made me more compassionate for others’ pain and struggles and to reach out and offer them compassion and help/encouragement.

My favorite part of the study: Knowing God sends comfort to us, that God has not forgotten us even when He is silent. I am in the “God is silent” time right now and it does get very frustrating at times. I know God felt abandonded on the cross but He was NOT abandonded. That is a good reminder that God never leaves us – it only feels that way at times. God is always faithful even when we don’t know/see/hear/feel it. I love that EVERYTHING is under his control (Phil 3:20-21, page 105). If we wait on Him, we will receive our answer….

• Yvette Clarke says:

I have to confess my favorite moment was knowing that we can take all our weaknesses to God and leave them there! and my favorite saying from Angela was faith is a choice…loved that! so I can be of good cheer, even when I tremble b/c of the God of comfort will comfort me and see me through. Its my choice to turn it over to HIM! this at times is easier said then done but I am learning. truly a blessing this study is for my spirit.

• Laura says:

How can you “be of good cheer” even when you are trembling inside? I can choose to be joyful and share love with others. As my husband sometimes puts it “fake it til ya make it.” Be strong in my faith, knowing that God will provide.
    How has your suffering helped you turn outward toward others? I find it interesting that many times we are comforted by giving comfort to others. Comforting others often reminds me that we are not alone and we can face our trials together, with God.

What is your first response when trouble comes? Well, I’m working on this. Often, my initial response is to fix the problem. I find that I’m actually regretful that I don’t turn to God first every time. What comfort I have in knowing that there’s still time!

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. I really enjoyed the discussion on David, that he chose to be faithful in his time of trouble. It is a choice, and this section has made me more conscious of making that choice and knowing that sometimes the answer is waiting.

• Julie says:

1.How can you “be of good cheer” even when you are trembling inside? (page 89 )
    I can show a positive attitude, be courageous knowing that God promises victory and I will overcome the trouble through God. Be comforted knowing that through Christ I will overcome.

2.How has your suffering helped you turn outward toward others? (page 97 )
    Remembering that my afflictions provide me the opportunity to grow closer to God, to become the person through the affliction that God wants me to be. My ability to comfort others comes only through the comfort I have received through Christ.

3.What is your first response when trouble comes? (page 99 )
    I am a planner and so my first response to any trouble is to map out a plan. I have found comfort in the knowing I have a plan. I would busy myself by researching options and talking to others. But in this week’s lesson I see that God wants me to turn to HIM, to seek him first and he will provide the plan and the path. That I should be comforted knowing that he does have a plan and that I need to let him control.

4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    In God’s always perfect timing, this week’s study showed me that in my troubles I need to be patient. I need to hold on and wait for God. Even when he is silient he hasn’t abandoned me. He is right here, he has not forgotten. I need to trust in him and know that he has control over everything. I need to put faith in God.

1.How can you “be of good cheer” even when you are trembling inside? (page 89 ) Ask God to give me courage and know in my heart that God will provide peace and comfort.
    3.What is your first response when trouble comes? (page 99 ) I usually try to solve it through analysis or research but know I should turn to God. I’m working on praying first during troubles and turning this into a habit so that it is a natural reaction.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. Day 4, When God Is Silent, hit home for me. You have to choose to recall who you are because of God or all you will think about is what others believe.

• Robin says:

My favorite moment was actually remembering all the difficult times I’ve had in my lfe and how far I’ve come. I’ve had to learn how to deal with a lot of stresses that terrified me, but I made it through. And just thinking about this really made me feel that I’m a lot stronger than I’ve ever given myself credit for.

• Carol says:

How can you “be of good cheer” even when you are trembling inside? (page 89 )
    You have joy (be of good cheer) and peace through the storms of life. Joy seems to me a more permanent mindset because it comes from the Lord than being happy which only last temporarily.

How has your suffering helped you turn outward toward others? (page 97 )
    I am becoming more of an encourager and compassionate person towards others who are going through things. I would like to instill more mercy and grace in my life towards other people.

What is your first response when trouble comes? (page 99 )
    I am starting to go to the Lord and just talking to Him more often. Also, I take a hike in the morning with my dog, Boone for exercise and I feel better and have a more positive outlook. This is also a time to praise and be in conversation with the Lord.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    It is very brave to give the comfort you have been given.
    Recently, cross paths with a Christian lady who is an acquaintance of mine and I shared my struggles, she totally understands because she went through the same thing I am going through 9 years ago. She gave me so much encouragement, that was a God moment!