Duty or Delight Online Bible Study Begins Today

Welcome to Summer bible study as we begin reading Duty or Delight- Knowing Where You Stand With God by Tammie Head. Our six-week womens bible study encourages us to delight in God by freeing ourselves from spiritual insecurities. The first three weeks of our study will focus on God’s pursuit of us and the last three weeks focus on our pursuit of Him. Please begin reading week one this week, and be sure to also read About the Author and the Introduction pages 4 through 9.

Each week there are five lessons in the Duty or Delight bible study. I found it a bit difficult to know where one lesson begins and the other one ends, because the days are not titled “day one, day two..” as other bible studies often are. Find a reading schedule that works best for you. For me, I read a few pages a day, five days a week.

The best way to stay on track and not fall behind is to wake up 30 minutes early each day. Get your hot coffee or tea, find a comfortable place to read and begin a  daily habit of spending your mornings with God. Put God first and begin your day in His Word. We know from past experience- those women who wait until lunchtime or evening to study the bible rarely finish the study. Life happens and it often interferes with bible study.

As you read your bible study, for six weeks you’ll put God first in your life. Your focus will be on Him at the start of your day. It’s interesting when we read in the morning, we’re often reminded of our lesson throughout our busy day. A verse or a phrase will simmer in your mind and then refreshes itself sometime in the day. For me, this is one of the greatest benefits of bible study and why I desire to share it with you as I lead the study.

Please pray for the 225+ women who are participating in the Summer bible study here at the Womens Bible Cafe. Pray specifically for the enemy to back off- and for each woman to grow in her individual faith journey.

We are having technical problems with the website (wordpress upgrade affected our site design) and hope to correct it soon. Pray our blog designer will find the time in her busy schedule to attend to our upgrade needs and for the process to flow without any major issues. For now, you need to click the category  link at the top of the page called Duty or Delight in order to find the latest updates. When the site is updated, the updates will appear on the front page as they normally do.

We will “meet” here again next week and have a group discussion about what you read for week one. I am praying for each of you as you begin your Summer Bible Study!

Our Prayer Wall has changed and now you can post prayers or praise reports as comments to the page. Please visit the prayer wall and cover these men and women with prayers. Thank you.

Homework for This Week

• Write a letter to God on the inside cover of your workbook. Tell Him where you are in your life right now, and where you hope He leads you during your 6-week bible study.
  • Complete Week One  in your workbook.
  • Watch the Free Video Sessions at Lifeway.com (the links are confusing and difficult to download, so this is optional)
  • If you are on Facebook and want to have mid-week conversations with women in the group, join our private chat room
  • If you want a photo next to your comments, visit the site Gravatar.com

Group Discussion- Please post a comment and answer these two questions

1. Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD.
  2. Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study.

• Jennifer D says:

1. Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD. Busy
    2. Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study. To not worry as much.

• Felicia says:

My life at this moment : NUMB

I would like to understand how to live my life in God’s way. And I want to be freed from my old self, I want to renewed, replenished. I want to be able to feel God’s love, grace, directions and blessings for me.

• Sheree says:

My life in one word: Busy

One specific goal I have for being in this Bible study is to take more time in Bible study. I feel rushed the majority of the time because I’m so busy with work and taking care of my family and home that I feel that I’m rushing through my quiet time in the mornings, and then my whole day is like that…rush, rush, rush!! Therefore, my goal is to let go and let God work, to help me to slow down and hear what He has to say to me. I need to listen to Him and the only way to do that is to slow down.

What I found is that when I read the bible and take time to study God’s Word, my day is less rushed and more balanced. I am at peace in my heart and I carry that peace through my day. When I place God first, i never feel rushed. Praying you’ll have a similar experience Sheree.

• Debbie says:

One word would be desperate

I long for a closer relationship with God, to know with certainty I have a true relationship with him, that He infuses my life and spirit, that I live out the gospel.

• Jessica says:

1- fragile

2- My goal for this study is to begin (again) to truly trust God with all the things I pretend that I can hide, and to also begin (again!) to trust others around me.

• Donna says:

One word- Hopeful. I feel God is working in my life right now & is preparing me for changes that are coming. I just want to learn to love Him & let Him love me.

• Tonesha says:

Expecting. I want to develop a closer relationship with the Lord.

• Sara says:

One word – grateful

Goal – to move deeper from confidence in God’s love for me to me being passionate about my love for Him

My one word: Living.
    My goal in this Bible Study is to continue to seek Him, to continue to grow closer to Him.

• Marci says:

I would characterize my season of life right now as “BLESSED” My goal is to stay close to God and to develop a deeper relationship with Him. Summer tends to present silly daily challenges in my life that try to get in my way from time with God. I chose this study to help me stay “connected” this summer even though I am traveling and my family schedule is chaotic. 🙂

• Sandee says:

One Word: CHANGE
    Goal: To learn to live “in the process” and to believe God’s word for what it really says, not just acting it out.

• Carolyn says:

(I posted on Tuesday, but I think it got lost)

One word: blessed.
    Goal: to get better practiced in following His leadership rather than being led by my emotions.

• Lisa says:

One word: Disconnected
    Goal: To get back to Him!

• Cyndi says:

One Word: Seeking

I hope to be in God’s word daily & to learn what His purpose is for me.

• Cindy H says:

My one word would be “transition”. Just retired less than a month ago and God is already showing me some “honeydo’s” Honey would you do this? 🙂

I do delight in God. Now that I have more “time”; I feel like a kid in a candy store! I can spend all day just being with God, thinking about him, listening to praise music, taking walks, talking to Him………heaven.

• Sheryl says:

One word: Relationship.
    I am seeking a more deeper relationship with God. Trying to really set aside time EVERYDAY to spend with Him-so He can fill me with His Sweet Spirit, Teach me His ways, lead and guide me in ALL THINGS!

• Carol says:

One word: Transitioning

Goal: To learn to set aside time each day to study God’s word,to build a stronger more meaniningful relationship with Him, and to delight in God and all his blessings.

• Debbie says:

one word: Empty
    Goal: finding where I fit into God’s plan, now that my children are grown and married. And it’s just us, my husband and me!

• Michelle says:

I know how you are feeling…one in college and the other two in high school. I feel left out and don’t know what to do next!

• Paige says:

My one word: KNOW

My goal: To KNOW who I am in Christ and always rest in Him, know He is all I ever need, want, desire. And help others KNOW Him too!!

• Monique L. says:

Just wanted to let everyone know the Suggested Service Opportunities link Tammie references in the book, lifeway.com/tammiehead has changed…the new link is:

• Kristi says:

Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD:
    Testing

Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study.
    For the past three years I have felt my walk with the Lord was a duty – I HAD to do it. I didn’t want to, didn’t enjoy it, did it with fight. Facing a divorce, for biblical reasons, I am now a single mother and learning to enjoy my relationship with the Lord again. This study came at a perfect time!

• Kelly says:

My word: Worry

Goal: To truly TRUST(have peace) God for everything in my life, and for my family. To truly believe that everything that happens is His will, and it is the best for us because He deeply LOVES us.

• Sarah says:

One word: Busy

Goal: To get back into regular study which makes God a delight instead of a duty (and the guilty feeling about not being in a current study).

• Carolyn says:

Blessed.

My goal for this study is to know Him better and purify my heart so that I can better listen to God’s word.

• Laura G. says:

My life in one word right now: SEEKING
    My goal for this study: 1) to stay connected to a group of ladies I do bible study with locally through this study 2) to continue to grow in my relationship with God to be all He created me to be

• Debbie says:

My word is Lost.

Goal: to be found again.

• Erika B. says:

My life in one word: FRANTIC!!!

Goal: To grow and mature in my walk with God.

• Becky says:

I just picked up my book yesterday. I’m in for this study. Becky from Indiana.

My one word is: Inconsistent. In many/all areas spiritually, physically, emotionally, financially… you get the picture.

• Rebecca says:

My one word: Anticipation
    Goal: Because of job changes I can no longer attend my women’s bible study group. My goal is to continue to draw closer to God while studying and sharing with other women who love the Lord.

• Carrie says:

One word: Burned out!

I’m returning to my first love! I want to “light up” that flame once again!

• glenda says:

My life in a word is: confused

Goal: To trust with all my heart,and soul believing god is in control and that he wants good things for me and my sons.

• Dutchess says:

Dutchess of Winterville, NC
    One word: searching
    Goal: I know God has a plan for my life. I hope to focus more on Him and not His plan. Maybe distracted would have been a better word for me…

• Nataiya says:

Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD.
    – Overwhelming

Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study.
    – My goal is to focus more on trusting God and relying less on my personal direction and fears.

• Lil says:

The one word that comes to mind is Revolution.

The Lord has brought me through so much in the past three years and I have been given a wonderful glimpse into his grace that I had not realized before. I want to continue to grow in that knowledge and abound in it.

• Kristin says:

One Word: Hungry

My goal is to keep the word of God in front of my eyes and hidden in my heart. To keep learning & studying. I feel so much closer to HIM when I take that time. Like MIchelle, I too am transitioning into empty nest from busy mom, and I know that I need to stay grounded in the Lord in order to keep my peace and joy.

• Sara says:

My life in a word is STAGNANT
    One specific goal for me in this study is to get my spiritual waters flowing again, and to jumpstart my walk with God (technically that’s two goals, but they’re really similar!).

• Crystal says:

One Word: Emotional

Specific Goal For This Study: Like the title of this study, I want to change from duty to delight. I want to have a personal relationship with God and not just check off items on a list once they are complete. I want to learn how to enjoy having a relationship with God.

• Melissa M. says:

One word: Anxious

Specific goal for this study: to draw nearer to God and feel more of the feeling that He is delighted in me. I feel like I am always trying to please other people, I can’t stand to let anyone down and will do whatever it takes to please people. Everyone from my daughters fiddle teacher to people in my church home. I want to slow down and just soak up His love and learn more!

• Rebekah says:

The first word that came to my mind to describe my life right now is STRESSED.

So a good goal for this study is that it allows me to slow down and breath. During all the running around and craziness I forget to find delight in life and serving God. Everything in life seems so meaningless sometimes, I hoping to find how to truly enjoy life because God gave life to us.

• Carrie says:

My life in this present season: WITHDRAWN

Specific goal for this study: I want to draw closer to God and get over my negative feelings I have about my church. I want to care again, because right now I feel like I don’t care about anything except God, my husband and my child.

• Debby says:

One Word: growing

I just want to continue to draw closer to God in my daily life.

• Monique L. says:

Today my one word is: Grateful

I want to continue growing in my relationship with God and along the way discover what I can do that will delight Him.

• Danielle says:

One Word: Busy

My goal is to get a better idea of what God’s plan is for me. This has been my quest for a little over a year now…beginning with reading “Purpose Driven Life.” At that time I was considering changing careers because the job I was in wasn’t going anywhere and I was miserable. My husband had been laid off for about 18 months and no job prospects in sight. Instead of trying to fix the problem by myself (I’m a “fixer”), I started praying and searching for answers in places I hadn’t before. I was finally in a church where I was learning and growing…instead of feeling condemned and guilty. Since this journey began, I found a new job (moved from Montana to Wisconsin) and my husband has a good job now…everything that has happened has God’s “handprint” all over it. It’s been so exciting and I know there’s more to come.

• Rhonda says:

One word: Frazzled

Lost my mother last month, am preparing to move cross county, have a very busy job. Need to regroup and find peace again.

1. One word…… Lost

2. Find my way back to God, and learn to listen for Him again.

• Debbie says:

One Word: Complacent
    Goal: Draw me close to you, O Lord. I want to live in your presence. and I want to get out of the comfort zone and into Kingdom work–to serve those around me. To have eyes to see and ears to hear the hurting voices.

• Lucy says:

One word: RELIVED

I hope to learn to listen to the Holy Spirit and follow my conscience. It will save me a lot of headaches and time.

• mala white says:

So exited to be apart of this beautiful study!
    One word for me would be…
    New beginnings!
    My goal is to fully commit myself to much needed time spent with the lord and his word. He has opened a door for me to have that time so I intend to respond with exitement!
    God speed to all of us

• Dawn says:

One Word: Blessed
    Goal: To draw closer and closer to Jesus as I walk out my faith in Him. I truly want Him to be my every moment delight and not just a duty. I truly want to find delight in Him.

• mayra says:

Stretching
    I want to be yield to Jesus and be willing to step out in faith in my life and in marriage.

• Laura says:

1. My life right now in one word is busy!
    2. My goal for this study is more joy and going deeper still in my relationship wth my wonderful Lord. I want to utterly and completely love Him above all else and to just delight in His Holy presence. What a blessing that He invites us to enter His very throneroom with thanksgiving and praise!

• Tami L says:

My 1 word: Ignition!
    My goal for this study is to press ever closer to the Living God. I am shaking out all the “yuck” in my life, on a mission for sanctification and purification. I want to deepen my roots, because I feel God is calling me out of my comfort zone and into a mission. He hasn’t revealed it yet, but I feel that pull, towards Him in a very real way. I desire to be ready in every way when He calls me forth! 🙂

• Monica, NY says:

One Word: Empty
    Goal: To hear a specific word of confirmation, direction & delight in doing it!

• Leigh Williamson says:

One word: LOST
    Goal: To KNOW I am in right relationship with God

• Jean says:

One Word: Hopeless (that my life will be more than just obligations and responsibilities)

Goal: To be joyful, at peace, know God’s Will for me, feel accepted, belonging, fulfilled… etc etc.

• Jessica says:

SERVANT

Exactly what this study is all about. Moving from doing things out of duty to a full fledge LOVE for God’s work!

• Stephanie says:

One word: struggling

My Goal: To develop a more intimate relationship with God, trust in him and put him first in my life so that he can lead me in the right direction.

• Michelle says:

One Word:lonely
    Goal:to find purpose and satisfaction as my life changes from busy mom to empty nest

1. My life right now in one word is wishful.
    2. My goal for being in this study is to have a deeper, more genuine relationship with God by getting a better understanding/grasp on where I stand with Him.

• Felicia says:

One Word: Melancholy
    Goal: To be reinvigorated

• Cara Louise Reitbauer says:

Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD:
    PERPLEXED
    Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study:
    To re-ignite a desire to be with God- not to check off a to-do list, but to enjoy being with Him.

• Kari says:

One word: Restoration

My goal in participating in this study is to find the delight in serving Christ; shaking off the obligation in serving, and finding the joy in the journey.

1. Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD: Blessed.

2. Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study. My goal for this study is to delight in God and spend more time at the feet of Jesus. I want to draw nearer than I already am, called by love in Jesus name.

• Mary Ann says:

One word: Sabbath-like (meaning, I am no longer able to be the worker bee in a fellowship. In trying to come up with one word, I searched the internet and found a great article on the Seasons of a Christian. I am in the Winter season, both chronoically and spiritually.)

My goal is to continue to renew and strengthen my relationship with God.

• Kerrie says:

One word: chaotic

However, I am really learning to lean on God in a way I never have before.

My Goal: I have been praying the really big prayers…the ones where you basically surrender your will, hopes and plans to God…and see where He will take you. I am also praying that I will not ever love anything or anyone more than I love God, and I am asking him to make that become a reality in my life. I want to love what God loves, and I pray that He opens my eyes to see what He wants me to see, and that He will guide me in the steps I need to take to move into action. I pray that He will give me boldness in my life so I can do this through Him. I pray that God will awake in me a Holy passion. I also pray for authenticity.

• Beth says:

My one word is transitioning
    My goal for this study is to be in God’s Word daily.If I am doing that, I know God will show me what he wants me to learn.

• Stacey says:

One word: renewal

My goal for this bible study is to be renewed by the holy spirit! I’m seeking a fresh start with God… I’m desiring a closer walk with Him…opening my heart and mind to hear what He’s saying to me.

• Jessica says:

My life right now: anticipation

Goal: To grow deeper in my relationship with God through this study, and to delight in Him as He delights in me

• Kathryn Champion says:

Sooooooo excited to start this study! I actually DO do my study in the evening – the first hour that I’m home is dedicated to Bible Study. My mornings is when I spend my ‘quiet’ time with Him

I’m basically on my own so I don’t have much to interefere with my first hour home Bible Study time

My life in this present season: UNCOMFORTABLE

My goal for this study is to learn the difference between serving Him due to Duty or Delight! The reason I said my season is UNCOMFORTABLE is because God is really moving me out of my comfort zone lately. Ever heard of the She Speaks Conference? Well, I’m still not sure why but HE paid my way to that conference this year and I will be heading there next week! I’m very excited to see what He has for me there but at the same time this is a HUGE step for me. I’m just tired of being ‘comfortable’ and I want Him to use me however and whenever He wants to.

I look forward to “meeting” all the other ladies along for this study

• Sharon Barnard says:

Faltering

To get back on track spiritually I have let life get in the way of my relationship with God. This book’s title seemed so appropriate have I been doing everthing our of duty or love for the Lord?

• Sue F. says:

my life right now in a word: transitioning.
    I want to learn how to give my concerns/worries to the LORD, FIRST, not third or 4th. trusting Him more.

• Ginger Robbins says:

My life during this present season: Changing.

What I hope to gain from this Bible study: Like others, I truly want to delight in knowing my Savior and in spending time in His presence. I do not want to see my walk with Him as duty or a checklist. I want to know Him more and more intimately and be free from the performance trap.

• jEIPEL says:

1.Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD

Hopefull

Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study.

I want to draw closer to the Lord I want to be able to learn how to hear his words clearly in my life.

• Amanda says:

My life right now – anticipation.

Goal – to learn to let go of the guilt of past sins, and move forward and grow in my walk with God and always be confident in my salvation.

• Renee says:

My one-word description: blessed

What I hope to gain from this study: Deepen my relationship with God. It’s not Him — it’s me. 🙁 I have many spiritual insecurities, and let my “busyness”, which isn’t real busyness at all, get in the way. As much as He has blessed me I should be praising HIM constantly.

• Rebecca Jo says:

My life in one word: Fearful 🙁
    My goal? Just to always learn more about God – draw closer to him. I saw Tammie Head at a Beth Moore conference as well & just was drawn to her way of words.

• Leigh Williamson says:

Rebecca: You aren’t alone….I’m fearful also and not in the way we should fear God….in the negative “I’m going straight to hell way” because I can’t “do” all that I need to to walk worthy….

It is very freeing to let go of spiritual guilt and claim God’s love for you. He adores His children…and when we let go of our shame or our junk from the past…we run to Abba the King.

• Jennifer says:

Leigh, I’m struggling right now with letting go of that mentality. I thought I had broken free of it years ago. Lately,I find myself at times doing things in order to gain and keep the acceptance of other Christians. At the same time, I know that Christ is my life and God is pleased with me because of the work He did on the cross. However,I am involved in a church where appearances reign supreme and I am fearful at times of what others may think of the freedom I have found in Christ. I do not fear God… maybe just His followers.

• Amber says:

My one word is busy.
    My goal for this study is to put fear in its place and to grab ahold of the Holy Spirits power in my life. I walk in the flesh too often due to fear,

• Linda says:

My life is Blessed right now.

What I would like to accomplish during this Bible Study is a closer relationship with God. I want to know Him better. I want Him to be an even bigger part of my life.

• tara says:

Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD : CHANGING

Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study: Exactly what is described in the book, To
    delight in God by freeing myself from spiritual insecurities and Let me tell you I have a basket full of them to be free from. Praise God for his Grace and Love for His children.

• Jennifer says:

My life in one word: Grace
    A specific goal for being in this study: I hope to be learn to walk out my personal relationship with Christ without fearing judgmental, self-righteous condemnation from legalistic Christians.

Share a comment with our readers!