Welcome back to our last day of the No Other Gods online bible study. On week eight of our study, Kelly Minter walks us into the pages of Ruth as an example of what might happen when we leave idols of the past behind and move forward in blind faith and obedience to God. If you have not read Kelly Minter’s second bible study called Ruth: Loss, Love and Legacy- I highly recommend it. We read this last summer with Beth Moore and it’s one of my favorite bible studies for women. As the title suggest, when we leave something or someone behind, we move forward with love and create a legacy. In our eight weeks of No Other Gods, we let go of functional gods and opened our hearts to more of God. God is love.
Like most bible studies written for women, I had a personal transformation while reading this study by Kelly Minter. When I started the study in April, I wrote inside the cover of my workbook “Dear Father, as I lead this study I pray that I will come to know and identify false gods hidden in my heart, see their potential destruction, and remove them from my life. Amen.” At the end of eight weeks, I saw how codependency became a functional god and I based many of my decisions around this false god. Saying goodbye to it allowed me the freedom to pursue God’s will for my life and to walk by obedience and faith, not by fear. A powerful moment in the study for me was when Naomi returned to her home and Ruth followed her heart, not her fears. As a result of their obedience to to the One true God, a legacy was created and retold more than 2,000 years later.
Kelly Minter writes “When it comes to our functional gods, God calls us to move away from them- sometimes its a physical move, but more often, it’s a heart move.” May your heart move each and every time you read scripture. Each woman completing this study will have a different experience and perspective of the study, because the Holy Spirit knows our hearts and our needs. I pray each of you will continue your spiritual growth and follow the path Jesus has placed before you. Please join us in future studies and grow together as women of faith.
Our Prayer Wall has many requests, so please print the page, place a copy in your workbook and pray for these women who are asking for your help. The best way to print the page is to copy and past the prayers into a Word document. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.
Kelly Minter Quotes
- Sometimes the best response is a peaceful, humble non-response.
- Not bowing to our idols can mean standing alone for a time.
- If we dwell on all we’ve left behind, we’ll be tempted to return.
- If it takes faith to say goodbye, it takes faith to say hello.
- The Lord will not allow us to be in the desert forever.
- Sometimes the new doesn’t present itself immediately, which is where faith comes in.
- With every bend, twist and dip in the road, we proclaim God faithful.
For Next Week
- Please register for our next next bible study
Group Discussion- Answer one question or as many as you like
- Since we started the study 8 weeks ago, in what areas of your life have you begun removing idols and creating room for God? (page 166 )
- Kelly reminds us that leaving our idols is not our final goal, making room for God is. What is one thing you can do today, to make room for God in your life now?
- Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
- Would you recommend this study to a friend? Why or why not?