Duty or Delight Bible Study Starts July 11, 2011

By popular request, our Summer Online Womens Bible Study has returned! One of the books we’ll be reading during our six-week bible study is Duty or Delight: Knowing Where You Stand With God by Tammie Head. During this womens bible study, we’ll explore the six steps to take us from duty to delight in our relationship with God.  We’ll break down these steps into weekly sessions- Chosen, Redeemed, Promised, Supplied, Commanded, and Secured Victory. Each week we will focus on one of the six steps. In the back of the workbook you’ll find “Confidence Boosters” based on scripture and small cards to carry with you as you memorize a scripture truth each week. When our online bible study concludes in six weeks, you’ll have learned how to stop the spiritual insecurities and ignite your faith. Author Tammie Head assures us “You can stop living in guilt, confusion and duty. You can delight in the God who delights in you.”

Please join us once a week on Monday as we have an online discussion of Duty or Delight. You’ll read your workbook at home each day, answer the workbook questions, and then join us on Monday’s to participate in a group discussion. There is no set time for the discussions, just show up and participate! We recommend you register for the Womens Bible Cafe by email so you’ll know when the discussion has started.

We’re leading two bible studies this summer. You are welcome to participate in one study or both, the choice is yours.  Pray over your decision and see where the Lord leads you.

About the Duty or Delight Bible Study (from Lifeway.com)

Tammie leads you on a journey of taking your relationship with God from a duty to a delight. This is a subject she’s lived, and you will enjoy her candid transparency. God is not looking for us to perform for Him, He’s looking for us to delight in Him. Many of us hit invisible barriers when we seek the Lord with questions like: Is God happy with me? Does He really love me? Am I doing enough? Why do I feel guilty all the time? Why can’t I seem to grow more spiritually? Join Tammie on a journey to overcome spiritual insecurity using six foundational truths from Ephesians 1:3-23. You will discover the beautiful news that God has not only chosen you for a deep, soul-satisfying relationship but He also constantly supplies everything you need to know Him this way. If you’ve been longing for a deeper relationship with God, this study is for you!

You need to have a copy of the member book in order to participate in the study with us. We will start reading week one on July 11, 2011

How to Participate in the Duty or Delight Online Bible Study

• Read the Bible Cafe Getting Started Page
  • Get a copy of Duty or Delight: Knowing Where You Stand With God
  • Introduce yourself: Post a comment below with your name, where you are from, and answer to this question- What challenges you most in your walk of faith: guilt, confusion or duty?

• Briget Beal says:

I know I’m jumping into this study three weeks late. But I’m here!

• Theresa Morgan says:

I’ve been feeling GOD tugging at me – you need to commit time to me!! And this study looks amazing. I know I am late but boy – there is so much GOD has to show me!

• Beth says:

Hi, my name is Beth and I was searching for an online bible study this morning and came upon Women’s Bible Cafe…so excited to have found exactly what I was looking for at this time in my life. I’ve just been through a big out-of-state move and am kind of confused about where my path in life is heading. Feeling more grounded in my relationship with God would be a good place to start. Ran out today to get a copy of the workbook and although I’m late starting, I hope to get much from this study!

• Cheryl Butterfield says:

There are times in my life that I struggle with duty. My head knows that I am chosen by God, but sometimes my heart does not keep up! I am so excited to participate in this study.

• Tammie says:

I want to turn Duty into Delight. I want that new feeling like I had when I first became a Christian.

• Tammie says:

Hi, I’m Tammie.I am from South Carolina. I posted a couple of days ago about receiving my book as a gift from my sister. I get a little confused when doing a bible study online. I have been playing around with the computer this morning trying to figure out where to post, sign-in, etc, and all that other fun stuff that comes along with computers. I have to finish week one and try to catch up with everyone else. Maybe I will cheat a little bit and just participate and fill in the blanks as I go along and get caught up that way.

• Stacey says:

I am starting this a little late, so I’ll have some catching up to do…but this study sounds so interesting! I’m from New Hamshire, and I definitely struggle with feeling an obligation or duty to my spiritual walk. I have known for some time that I am stagnant, not moving forward spiritually, and I’m not really sure how to get moving. I lack the motivation to read my Bible or devote to a prayer time, even I am involved in another study at church. I desire to know the Lord on an intimate level, to trust Him as completely as I do my own husband, and I know that kind of relationship requires intimacy. I am looking forward to what God has to show me through this study…

• Sheree says:

Hi..I’m Sheree from SC, and I just stumbled onto this awesome website. I actually purchased this Bible Study, Duty or Delight, a couple of weeks ago, and have been reading and studying on my own, and how awesome to find a group of precious ladies participating in this study online, so I hope it’s not too late to jump in there with y’all (my southern accent shows online as well…LOL). So the question is “what challenges you most in your walk of faith: guilt, confusion, or duty. I would have to say “duty” because sometimes I can get in such a routine, or should I say rut, that my beloved Bible studies and spending time with God becomes more dutiful instead of delightful. I want to turn that back around and hear fresh words from God that are soooo exciting and new!! I look forward to “chatting” with y’all online 🙂
    Many Blessings,
    Sheree <

• juley west says:

Hi! I’m juley from NC. I am very excited to have came across this website just yesterday! I look forward to jumping into a bible study head first. I want to deepen my walk with God. I have allowed life to lead me instead of God lead my life & I want to rearrange that phrase!

• Donna Banks says:

I’m Donna from Michigan. I am trying to move more to the delight side of my faith and less from the “duty”. I love spending time in the word, but my prayer life still feels more from duty than love.

• Gloria says:

My name is Gloria. I live in SE Wisconsin. I enjoy reading my Bible and discussing it with others.

• molly delong says:

HI,

I am Molly DeLong from Columbus, Ohio. I lead a small group ladies’ Bible study about 4 times a year. We are finishing Brave this evening and are looking for a study in the fall. I am going to do this one online and see if I think the group would like it. I think I am challenged by all three of these topics at different times in my life. Looking forward to doing this online study. This will be a first for me.

• jEIPEL says:

Hi
    My name is Jeipel and I am from NYC I am looking forward to studying Duty or Delight and have God speak to me clearly. My struggle is not being sure if what I feel or hear is really God’s plan for me or my plan for myself.

• Dutchess says:

Dutchess of Winterville, NC
    Attempted to post earlier and got an error message so here I go again:
    One word: searching
    Goal: God has a plan for my life – of this I’m certain. I want to focus more on God and less on the plan, trying to figure it all out. Maybe distracted would have been a better word to describe where I am now…

• Rebekah says:

Hello!

My name is Rebekah and I’m from West Texas. This is my first online bible study and I’m so excited! I think the most challenging to me is duty. I often feel like it is my duty to serve God and spread his word but I must also remember to find delight in serving God. And find delight in everything that he has given us.

• Lucy says:

Hi my name is Lucy, I live in Maryland. For me the most challenging is duty.
    I feel I am not returning enough of what God has given me.

My life has been a roller coaster of challenges from which I have learned a lot. My challenge today is doing this study on the internet for the first time in my life.

Looking forward to it.

Lucy

• Kelly Dykes says:

Hello everyone! No doubt my biggest challenge in my walk of faith is DUTY. I am so very thankful for the immeasurable, uncountable gifts God has given me, and I KNOW I can never repay him. However, I want to learn any way that I can improve on Thanking Him, Honoring Him,Worshiping Him, an completely giving Him all the credit for each precious gift He’s given me. Praise God from Whom ALL blessings flow! In Christ, Kelly

• Melissa M. says:

I’m Melissa from Canyon, Texas. This is my first online Bible Study and I’m really excited and looking forward to what God has to show me through this!

• Melissa M. says:

oh…and what I struggle with most is confusion. I’m a teacher, mom to 3 girls and a pastor’s wife. Sometimes I let the daily demands of life get in the way of my most important relationship of all. I want to be able to slow down and enjoy my alone time with my Father.

• Sara says:

Hi everyone! My name is Sara, and I’m from Texas. I am going to go with guilt as the thing I struggle with most in my walk, because I am always telling myself that my heart is not pure enough, and my faith is not strong enough. But, I want to let go of this negativity so I can just be “delighted” in His presence.

• Jennifer says:

Hey! I’m Jenn. This study will be my first to do online and I am so looking forward to it!!

• Monique L. says:

Hello everyone. I am Monique and I’m from Maryland…also a first-timer to online bible study. Just back from vacation and I’m ready to get started.

For me, duty is the biggest challenge.

• Debbie says:

Hi! This is my first online bible study. I have done serval of Beth Moore’s bible study in last 10 years. My church is not doing a ladies bible study during the summer. I’m looking forward to this study, but at the same time a little apprehensive. Seems odd not being in the same room with everyone. God will help me work through it. He always does! I’m dealing with knowing “what now”. Two sons, grown and married. But our youngest has been the our LORD going on 3 years. I’m lost as to where do I go from here. Thanks for listening. Love in Christ, Debbie.

• Joan says:

Hello,
    I’m Joan from New York. (Upstate, not NYC). I am excited to take this Bible study with my sister, who has moved to Michigan. I am always struggling with guilt that I don’t serve enough. I can’t seem to get past that old guilt trip. I am looking forward to sharing this bible study with all of you too.

Joan

• Sandee says:

I’m Sandee from California. Getting beyond the past legalism in my faith and “acting” instead of “truth”. We started this study today in a small group at church and I am facilitating, so I thought it would be nice to do on-line as well. I know that God delights in me, I want BE delighted in Him all on the time, even when circumstances don’t seem easy. Sandee

• Mary Harmon says:

I am Mary from Michigan. I think the guilt and the lack of my own discipline and guilt over that. Can’t wait!

• Paige says:

Hello My Sisters in Christ;
    I am Paige from beautiful (also hot & humid) Birmingham, AL. I think we are truly blessed that we can connect with each other despite where we are located physically & spiritually. GOD is so good!!!

I was in an abusive relationship for a lonnnnnggg time, I let that man kill my hope. Though I wasn’t physically dead, at times I would have been better off. Many times I gave up on God. But praise His Holy Name He NEVER gives up on us. Not only was God with me everystep out of that pit, He brought a man into my life that has a heart for Him. I have my own King David & have been happily married for over 3 years now!!!

I am truly a blessed woman. But I also am a woman who struggles everyday. I need & want prayer partners. I know life in the pit without God and I know life and all the struggles with God. I never want to be without my Lord & Savior again.

Christine, THANK YOU for this study and site. You are a blessing!

Looking forward to growing in the Lord with all of you.

• Jessica says:

Hello ladies!

My name is Jessica, and this is my first study at the Womens Bible Cafe. I am a 22 year old college student, and I’m from Burleson, Texas. My ladies Bible study group at church is doing this study on Thursday nights and I can’t be there since I work on Thursday evenings usually. I’m looking forward to gaining a stronger relationship with God through this study and learning about how to make my relationship with Him a delight instead of a duty!

• Erika B. says:

Good Morning! I’m Erika from northern Virginia and I just stumbled across this website this morning as I was searching for an online Bible study. I’ve been searching for a Bible study medium that fit with my hectic lifestyle and was so happy and surprised to find that online Bible studies existed! I had no idea! What a blessing! I ordered my book this morning and was happy to find that amazon.com could get it to me by tomorrow. I’m really excited to begin this study.

I’d say I struggle with all three issues in my walk. I feel guilt that I’ve let lots of other things get in the way of my relationship with Jesus. I’m confused because even though I’ve been a Christian for 12 years now, I’ve been so busy having and raising children and homeschooling, that I feel like I’m still just a baby Christian. I need to move forward in my walk, but am really unsure as to how I should be doing this. I tried Bible study groups when the kids were younger as I knew that this would be helpful to a new Christian, but really stuggled to get the work done and actually make it to the sessions. Then I felt guilty for not being able to do it all. I’m really hoping that this study helps propel me forward in my walk. And the duty issue gets to me as well. I know as a Christian it is my duty to be more Christ like, grow in my walk and be a witness to others, but my lack of growth has led me to shirk my duty. It then leads to the guilt issue again. It’s an ugly cycle to be sure, and one I’d really like to break.

Erika

• Sheryl says:

Hi Girlfriends! I am so excited to be able to participate in this online Bible Study-Duty or Delight by Tammie Head. I heard her in Louisville, Ky on June 12th – and she is AWESOME! I am looking forward to doing this Bible study. It will be the first one I’ve done online. I live in Cincinnati, Ohio. Guilt and forgiveness of self is probably one of the hardest things to come to terms with. Satan loves to use it on us at every opportunity too!
    Looking forward to MONDAY!!!

• Kristen Gilmer says:

Greetings!

My name is Kristen Gilmer and I am from Ham Lake, Minnesota. This is my first online Bible study and I am excited to share this journey with you all. I just bought my book today at my local LifeWay store and can already relate to the content within the first few pages. I decided to partake in this study because I struggle with feeling of failing as a Christian. No matter how much I try I feel so inadequate. I pray that through this study I will grow in my faith walk and delight in spending time with the Lord.

Peace and blessing to each of you!

• Janine says:

Hi!

I am so excited to start a new bible study, and this will be my first one on the internet. I know it is going to be great! I am walking through a new journey on July 11, and this is a perfect time to start a new bible study. I know finding this bible study at this time was a divine appointment. I deal with a lot of guilt when it comes to my faith.

• Beth says:

I’m Beth from WI and am still waiting for my book–I will probably have to catch up. I think I am struggling with duty and burnout. I would like to delight in the Lord and not feel so short on time.

• Carin says:

Carin from Northern CA. I am a regular here at the cafe. I am a few weeks behind on the last study but will join as soon as I can. I just recieved my book.

Everytime I think I know where I stand with God something happens that fill my mind with doubt, which leads to confusion.

• Renee says:

Hurray! My book is here. 🙂

Renee from TN, I thought I had posted already but 2x perusing the list doesn’t find me. Anyway, I think GUILT gets me at all times. If I’m doing quiet time, I think I should do more Bible time. If I’m reading the Bible, the laundry is calling. If I’m spending time with my husband…well, you get the picture.

Really looking forward to getting started.

• Lisa says:

Hi all,
    I’m Lisa from Alabama. I have gotten my book and looked through it. It is exactly what I need at this time in my life. I feel a huge disconnect right now with God and yes guilt for that and want to start enjoying Him. I look forward to this study and getting to know you ladies!
    Lisa

• yolanda says:

I am looking forward to this bible study as it is my first one. I hope by hearing the word I will start living the word. I look forward to our future discussions.

• Linda says:

This is new to me, but I’m looking forward to it.

• Jeanette says:

Very excited to do a on line bible stufy

• Kendrie says:

Hi, My name is Kendrie I am 30 years of age. I am married, and have a 2 year old daughter. I currently live in Memphis, TN. I was brought up in a Christian home, and always have had a love and desire for the LORD. When I moved out here my relationship with Jesus faded, and I am here to spark that fire again, I want to be a servant for the LORD, and hope and pray that his light will shine through me, to my friends and family, or anyone who needs the encouragement. I want to live for God, not just to be here. This is my first online bible study, and am looking forward to it.

• Mary Helen says:

Hello, I am MaryHelen from Texas.

The challenges I face the most in my walk of faith are probably all three of these in some sort of way.
    I feel guilty when I know I should be reading my bible.
    And other times I feel it’s my duty to make sure I read so many pages or pray so many prayers for God to be ok with me.
    So can you guess where the confusion plays a part? =:)

I want to “WANT” to be in his presence all day, so I am hoping this book gives me some insight on how to get there.

• Dana says:

Hello! Im Dana and Im from St. Louis,Mo. This is my first online bible study and Im so excited to get started. Guilt challenges me and Im hoping this bible study can help me build a better relationship with God and go where he takes me.

• tara says:

I want to join this Bible study. I just got the book in the mail. I am looking forward to studying with all of you. God Bless!

• Michelle says:

I am from a small rural town in SC. I have trouble with duty…I do things because I think I should(not necessarily want to do them). I want to get to the point where it is a delight to do work for the Lord!

• Kristin says:

Hi. I’m Kristin from Minnesota. I think it’s a combination for me as well. Guilt, am I doing what I’m suppose to be doing, and am I doing it correctly? Confusion – am I too legalistic, and I too relational, am I missing the obvious? Duty – did you pray enough, did you believe it? It can be overwhelming . . .and yet, I think that it’s really not suppose to be hard at all! I miss my Bible Study group, as we take a break during the summer, and I’m looking forward to digging back it! Bless your heart for creating this site:) Glad I stumbled onto it . . .or did I??:)

• Erika S. says:

Hi! God bless! My name is Erika and I am from Houston, TX. I’ve visited this site before and now I have decided to take part in the bible studies! I’m looking forward to this one in particular. I feel that my challenges are guilt and duty. Guilt for not doing my best or giving my all to serve the Lord. Duty,it feels like a routine. I don’t want a routine with God, a routine then becomes boring,dull,repetitive. I want to serve God with love, to seek him in truth and with desire. I know this will be a blessing for my spiritual life!

• Carol says:

I’m Carol from Fredericksburg, Virginia. I’ve never done an on-line study before but really like the idea of sharing with others and the flexibility of this type of study. I would have to say my biggest challenge in my faith is guilt over not doing the things I plan to or think I should be doing (I guess the second part are feelings of duty). So many times I have good intentions of reading the Bible, studying, praying, etc. and then life just gets in the way and I don’t do it. Then the guilt creeps and pretty soon I get feelings of defeat. Instead, I need to learn to just pick up where I left off – regardless of how long it has been – and continue going forward.

• Laurie says:

Hi. I’m Laurie from Oklahoma. I think all three are stumbling blocks for me: duty, guilt, and confusion.

• Debby says:

I got my book a few weeks ago and am looking forward to starting the study. this will be my third Bible Cafe study.

• Sandee Escene says:

Hi, my name is Sandee. I retired yesterday from a wonderful career and so am excited about the next phase of my life. I so want to move from duty to delight so that I started my day delighted to spend time with Jesus rather than a check off of something I have to do. I am so glad I found this website and can’t wait to get started. Praise God!

• Tricia says:

Hi! My name is Tricia and I live in Charlotte, NC. I’m not sure if Duty is what challenges me most in my walk of faith, but I would very much like to get to a point where I ‘get to’ do something for God, instead of that I ‘have to’ do something. It is a mindset that I would love to have. I took my first long-term bible study this past year and it finished up in May. Since it’s completion, I’ve missed the daily study and I look forward to this study this summer to bridge the gap between May and August!

• Adrienne says:

My name is Adrienne and I’m from Alabama. I’m really looking forward to this study! I’m going to pick up my book before the week is out.

• mala white says:

This on line study opportunity is an absolute blessing for those of us who need structured bible time, accountibility, a sense of community and fellowship with other women who share many of the same stuggles and desire to share the love of the Lord together! Thank you so much Christine for your commitment to this website and the love you have for all of us! It shows in all the creativity and design. It warms my heart to see the wordless Wednesday pictures and scripture verses.I pray for this study to have everlasting change in the lives of all of us.

Thank you Mala. Sometimes I feel as if I am not doing enough for the Kingdom, then I see a comment like this and God encourages me. To love Christ is to want to share Him with others, so they too will know His forgiving heart and unyielding friendship. This has become a passion for me since I started the Bible Cafe in 2009.

• Emily says:

Hi, I’m Emily in High Point, NC and I’m doing this study as well as Brave. These are my first online bible studies so I’m excited to see how it goes. I tend to be pretty all over the place when I study, so hopefully this will provide some much needed structure as well as encouragement for the days ahead.

• Kristi says:

I’m Kristi and new to this website. Live in Cleveland Ohio and I just ordered the book and hope to get it in time. This is a great option for me, since I am a workig mother – why are women’s studies only offered during the day at church?

Anyway, gonna see how this works for me.

• Sue F. says:

Maybe God is calling you to help start a weeknight/Saturday morning study in your area:) I’m not suggesting that you be a facilitator of the bible study (since you are plenty busy with a job and home to run), but just inquire at your church about this, and look for women’s bible study offerings in your area. My church started a weeknight bible study just for women who work outside the home. I love it!
      Sue F.

• Mary Ann says:

Hi, I’m MaryAnn from Maryland. I’ve been away from Bible Cafe studies for awhile and feel God calling me back. I saw this study and thought, only God would put this study in front of me when I needed it! Part of me is anxious to dig in and learn more about myself and my relationship with my Father in Heaven.

Looking forward to working hard, digging deep, and gaining perspective from others.

If you haven’t done a study before, Christine is AWESOME! (Not that others aren’t—but, I guess because I did my first online study with Christine I just gravitate toward her.)

Leaving for lunch and grabbing my book while I’m out!

I’m so excited to see you back Mary Ann! I see you on Facebook often, now we can continue our spiritual growth studies together. Thank you for the compliment as well. 🙂

• Mary Ann says:

I typed this all once and hit enter and lost it–I’m famous for that. I’m also famous for not answering the questions asked in the introduction. So here goes, again.

I was born at a time when only the wealthy sent their children to kindergarten. For some reason, my mother decided to have a local Christian School give me an intelligence test. When they told her that I had the intelligence of a 2nd grader, my parents decided to enroll me in kindergarten at that school.

I have only one memory of that experience. My teacher was Sister S.(they called themselves Sisters but this was not a Catholic school.) One day, she came over to me and told me I needed to stand in the corner, facing the wall. Later, she came to me and said that I needed to pray for forgiveness because God didn’t like little girls who smiled in school. Of course, what my tiny ears heard was that “God doesn’t like little girls…”

I began being molested by an uncle, further solidifying my feeling that “God doesn’t like little girls.” After all, if He did like little girls, why was this happening to me.

When the year ended, I began attending public school and my parents would drop me and my sisters off at a Church of God. I never felt like I belonged because “God didn’t like me.”

As a teenager, I began attending a Baptist church, accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior and got baptised. By that time, I had learned how to put an end to the molestation…lock the door when everyone was away. (We were not allowed to lock the doors at our house, my mother’s rule. She hated locked doors.) The guilt continued. I was not enough for God. I would never be good enough.

As a young adult, I began teaching Sunday School. I felt like a hypocrite because I was sure that I wasn’t God’s child—all of the children I taught were, but not me.

Eventually, I got away from the church. I retained my love for God, and the feeling that I needed to to more and more to please him — so He’d eventually love me.

From a teenager on, intellectually, I knew that God did like little girls–in fact, He loved them. But, that didn’t change my subconscious beliefs.

As I’ve aged, I’ve grown closer and closer to God. Inside, though, I’ve always felt as if I just didn’t do enough to please Him. During trials, I’ve reverted to the “God is punishing me for things I’ve done or things I haven’t done” it didn’t matter.

Anyway, that’s a long winded way of saying, I’m challenged by guilt and confusion. That’s why, when I saw this study, I was SURE God had a sense of humor!

Sorry for the long answer to a short question.

• Ginger says:

Mary Ann,

Thank you so much for your transparency! God so often uses the willingness of women like you to be open about their experiences to speak to the hearts of others. While I did not suffer like you did as a little girl, I have struggled for years with the “God is mad at me because of my sin” cycle. I say it is a cycle because it traps us (or at least me) into further wrong thinking. Mine always went like this: I would think that God was mad at me for my sin (even though, as you said, intellectually I knew Scripture said otherwise). So I would think I needed to do more to please Him. So my relationship with Him became a duty. Then I felt guilty about that, thinking he was even madder at me because I felt that way. This type of thinking caused my heart to harden, or at the very least to be prone to wander (as the hymn says – prone to wander, Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love). But God, in His great mercy and grace, always finds a way to draw me back. I pray for women like me who struggle with this cycle that this study will bring an end to wrong thinking and will set us free to delight in serving God! Again, thank you for your openness – it gave me much to think about!

• Lil says:

I’m a bit confused since this is my first study here at Women’s Bible Cafe… do we have the first chapter read before the start of the 11th of July?

We do not start reading until July 11. On that day, we “launch” the study and we all start reading week one. The following Monday, we gather online and discuss week one. You can visit anytime during the day to post a comment and join the discussion.

• Laura says:

Hi! I am Laura from Wisconsin. I struggle with worrying what people think in all facets of life, therefore good old guilt. That feeling that you are never good enough. I need to remember we live for an audience of ONE. And if My God is happy that is ALL that matters! Gal 1:10 I am really looking forward to doing this!!

• Kathryn Champion says:

YES!!!!! Just got my book ordered and look forward to receiving it and getting started on this study 🙂

• Renee says:

Hi, Renee from TN here. I did No Other Gods, it was my first online study. I’m looking forward to starting this one.
    Guilt is my constant companion. My dear sweet husband would never say anything but I feel guilty even if I stop working/house work for a few minutes. I certainly can’t sit down and read a book! I don’t know why I am this way. Then I get to the end of the day and feel that I didn’t do enough, so guilty again. lol

• Kristi says:

I’m Kristi from Georgia. I am new to online Bible study and looking forward to this discussion. I have a couple study group during the school year but we break in the summer.

I struggle with both duty and guilt and look forward learning how to break free from both.

Kristi

• stephanie ryan says:

Hello my name is Stephanie and Im from Texas.. Im looking forward to this Bible study so that I to like so many can stop feeling like its a duty and start delighting in spending time with the Lord. Nice to meet everyone.

• Sara says:

Been looking for something like this. Looking forward to this first study. Nice website too – THANK YOU!
    Oh yeah – guilt.
    Sara from Salem, Oregon

• stacey says:

I’m Stacey from Ms. I’m very excited about this study! can’t wait to get my book!

• Debbie says:

Hi y’all! I’m from Texas and I’m signing up for both bible studies that start on July 11th. I’ve had a lot of down time recuperating from a broken ankle and can’t get out much! This is great! I really needed this right now, I feel isolated from everyone including God. Thank-you Bible Cafe for the opportunity!

• Christina Tackett says:

I’m Christina. I’m from Lexington,KY. I am really looking forward to this study and diving into the Word of God. I have been craving/hunger after God’s word. I know that God is going to do amazing things through each of us completing this study.

• Christina Tackett says:

I am looking forward to do this bible study and growing in the Lord. I have been hungry for God’s word.

• Erica says:

Just ordered my book! Trying to find myself and God again after a 14 yr. marriage ended in divorce. Relationships with women, men, and God haven’t been the same. Hoping to be refreshed, renewed, and restored after this study!

• Barbara says:

Erica, Having been divorced for 30years after a 13 yr. marriage I can truly say the best path for you right now is building your relationship with the Lord as you are doing. He truly can heal your wounds and become your husband. God bless you in your walk!

Psalm 37:4: Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Isaiah 54:5 “For your Maker is your husband— the LORD Almighty is his name— the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth.

• Barbara says:

I am Barbara from Texas. I am a first to online Bible Study. I think this lesson will be a good start. I continue to strive to understand the sovereinity of our Lord and what I am suppose to be doing while He works.

• Carrie says:

Hi, I’m Carrie from South Carolina. This is my first time at Bible Cafe. I’m looking forward to doing this Bible study with other women who have a true heart for the Lord. I have been feeling lonely and isolated at my church and I feel like I don’t even want to go anymore. I’ve been considering doing “Duty or Delight” for awhile but I didn’t want to be alone in this journey. Now I don’t have to be!

• Michelle says:

I know how you feel Carrie…I feel like I am all alone in the world and at church! I hope this bible study helps!

• Laura G. says:

My name is Laura and I am from Oklahoma. The beginning of this year I was so keenly aware of God’s presence in my life as I participated in a church wide fast. At first I felt it a duty to do so but as I spent more time in God’s word and disciplined myself daily to refuse myself the fleshly desires and be aware of God’s presence and go there I felt so close to Him. Now that the fast is over I have not been as diligent in my disciplines and it definitely effects my daily walk with the Lord. Because of that I struggle with the guilt of feeling God is displeased with me in some way because I am not reading the word daily, not studying it deeply, not in constant communication with him through prayer, etc. This in turn makes me feel more like hiding from God then feeling the pleasure of going to Him. I am looking forward to this study. My prayer is that I will understand God’s love toward me and because of that my relationship is not a “duty” to be fulfilled but a “delight” in which like air I can not live without nor is it something I have to work at to get in my life! It just happens!!!

• Tracey says:

Hello,

I’m Tracey from Idaho. I would have to say for me it’s a combination of guilt and sometimes duty. Guilt that I let other things get in the way and duty in the sense that there is often so much to do that in order not to feel the guilt, I dutifully spend time in the Word, praying, etc., but the quality is not there. I also go through periods of time where this is not the case and my heart’s desire is to spend more time with Him. I’d love to recognize how and why I fall into the trap of the former. Looking forward to this!

Tracey

• Ginger Robbins says:

As a perpetually recovering performance addict, this study speaks so to my heart! I frequently find myself slipping into the “I need to try harder to be more godly” mode, when what I really need is to fall more in love with Jesus. While I know God loves me and has redeemed me in spite of my sin, like the father whose son was healed, I must say “I believe, Lord, help my unbelief.”

• Emily says:

Hi. I’m Emily and I’m actually signed up for the Brave bible study as well. This is my first time doing an online bible study so I’m excited to see how it goes. I relate so well to Ginger and I’ve quoted that scripture more times than I care to admit. But I believe the fact that I’m still breathing so God hasn’t given up on me yet. Prayerfully this will be another element of God’s perfecting work in me.

• Ginger says:

Emily,

I haven’t been on the site to read the comments since I posted my first one. On the one hand, it’s great to know someone else struggles with the same “performance addiction” that I do. But on the other hand, by prayer is that God will set us both free from it! I am constantly amazed at how easily it is to slip back into that mindset! I guess it’s because the good news of the gospel is SOOOOO good that it is truly impossible believe unless we are looking at it through spiritual eyes. If we allow ourselves to look at it through our fleshly eyes – measuring God’s love by the world’s definition of love – it is truly impossible to believe that a holy, just, perfect God would choose to sacrifice His perfect Son just so He could have a relationship with a wretched sinner like me! But that is the absolute truth of the gospel! Once again, I believe, Lord help my unbelief! And I think when we truly believe this, we will find serving God a delight!

• Sharon Barnard says:

I am Sharon, live in Fort Worth, Texas. I have to say after some challenging times I have lost my zeal and feel I am doing everything out of duty these days. I really need a study like this. Picking up my book today…

• Jessica says:

This is my first time here at WBC. I am very excited to go through this study!! I am from So Cal and very Blessed wife and mother of two young girls. I struggle with duty. I am looking forward to growing my relationship with the Lord!!

• Sue F. says:

I’m from a suburb of Baltimore, MD. Wife of a baseball coach, mother of 3 grown children, grandmother to 1.33 grandchildren. I’m a Martha (as in sister of Mary and Lazarus). Enough said…
    (Luke 10:41-42)

• comnurse1 says:

Hi Ladies! My name is Kerrie and I live in Alberta, Canada. What challenges me most varies from situation to situation. Sometimes it’s one thing, other times it might be all three.

• Rhonda says:

I am Rhonda from Middle Tennessee. I am very active in my church and love Bible Studies, especially Beth Moore. I am so glad to have a place to share what I’m learning, and am very excited about my first Angela Thomas study! This is going to be an awesome summer !!!

• Stephanie says:

Hello everyone! I am from Mississippi and this is my first online bible study. It sounds really interesting, and I’m looking forward to enhancing my relationship with God and just becoming more of the person he wants me to be.

• Danielle says:

Hi Ladies. My name is Danielle and I live in Wisconsin. This will be my first bible study online. Looking forward to it.

• Laura says:

HI Ladies! I am Laura from California. I just finished “No Other Gods” (AWESOME study) and am looking forward to this study. What challenges me the most? Well, praise God for forgiveness so I don’t have to live in guilt because I have made more than my share of mistakes in life. Confusion comes to visit fairly often, even though I know God is not the author of confusion. I do love my time in the morning with my cup of tea and the Lord when it is still dark outside, but I don’t want that to become duty instead of delight. My biggest challenge is the duty in prayer. As an intercessor, there are so many people I am praying for every single day that it can become I list I am praying through. I don’t want intercession to become a duty, almost rote going through the list. I want a deeper devotion and more delight in my prayer life. Blessings to all of you.

• Cindy H says:

I’m excited about this new Bible Study. My book just arrived last week! Looking forward to learning something new from the Lord. I’m trying to stay cool in a small town in Arkansas. Just retired and praying God’s guidance for the rest of my life! Am praying that God will direct me to a completely new ministry.

• Mayra says:

What challenges you most in your walk of faith: guilt, confusion or duty?
    My name is Mayra Wood. I live in a small rural town called Colbert, Georgia. I am a pastor’s wife. I often feel BOUND by duty! I love the Lord and desire to serve Him. There times though that I am jsut going through the motions…even faking it at times. I want to seek Him and delight in Him, not for selfish gains but just because.
    This is my first online study! Very excited!

• Sandy says:

Hi! I’m Sandy from Ohio and I just finished “No Other Gods” bible study which was great. Looking forward to “Duty or Delight”. I must be honest that “confusion” is where I stay. It seems that ever since I have been really trying hard to read the bible, pray daily and trust God that my life has been turned upside down. Gone are the carefree days. Maybe he is cleaning house here??? I’m not sure. But many of my christian friends are going through the same thing. Where is the victory and why as Christians are we not more victorius?? I struggle with being confused on trying hard to follow Christ but that this crazy life with all of it’s business, makes it challenging to try to hold it all together and lead a balanced life for our God, our families and friends. Don’t forget about the house, laundry etc. It’s an exhausting list and I’m exhausted…can you tell??? I’m not in a good place today but I do thank the Bible Cafe and Christine for greeting me every morning to help me put my spiritual feet on the ground and to keep trudging ahead.

• Esther says:

Hello all,

I am looking for a good Women’s Bible study group that will keep me focused and more immersed in God’s word. I do not spend enough time in the word and I thought maybe a ladies Bible study online will be the perfect solution. I hope I have found what I am looking for, I look forward to delving deeper in the Word with all of you.

Esther of Newport News, VA

The Womens Bible Cafe is a great place to join in the study of God’s word with a group of women. I have done 3 studies here and absolutely love this study/discussion format. It gives everyone the opportunity to speak and I have learned and been so encouraged by other’s responses. Glad you found the site; I think you will be pleased.

• Rhonda says:

I am Rhonda from Indiana and have recently lost my mother. I look forward to this Bible Study as a way to reconnect with God. I have not lost my faith but have found myself questioning many things in the past couple of weeks and have the need to feel God’s presence more strongly in my life right now.

Rhonda, I’m sorry for your loss. God is so good to lead you to this place. I believe you will be refreshed and replenished by studying and spending time here.

• Lil says:

Hi Rhonda,

I lost my niece, my sister (the niece was her only child) and my Mom within 11 months of each other and I can so understand what you are going through. I’m praying for you during this difficult time that God would shine through the darkness as you heal and grieve. I wouldn’t want to do that experience again, but looking back, it was a very pivotal time in my relationship with Him and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. God has been so good to us!

• Kelli says:

Hi! my name is Kelli. I am a pastor’s wife in a small town in Mississippi. I am seeking the Lord’s leadership of what Kind of Bible Study He would have me lead the women in our church with. I think today so many people do what they do in the church because its their duty and I am looking forward to a refreshness of the fact that it truly is a DELIGHT to serve God.

• Lil says:

It’s nice to see another PW here Kelli! 😉 I was thinking the same thing- about going through the book with our ladies as well.

• Rochelle says:

Rochelle from Texas
    I am so excited to find this site! I have needed to get back into God’s Word for some time. I struggle with consistency and self-discipline, and sometimes duty. I look forward to studying with you.

Sharon Warren
    Newport News, Virginia
    I feel guilty a lot that I am not spending as much time in Bible Study and God’s word as I should.

• Esther says:

Hello all,

I am looking for a good Women’s Bible study group that will keep me focused and more immersed in God’s word. I hope I have found what I am looking for, I look forward to delving deeper in the Word with all of you.

Esther of Newport News, VA

• Monica says:

Oh, I forgot to answer the questions! lol!

My name is Monica
    I’m from Hicksville, New York
    & I struggle with all in my walk of faith, but mostly I guess confusion instead of assurance & confidence in Christ @ times.

• Monica says:

Yay! Can’t wait to do the study with some sistas! I’m doing the study right now @ a ladies bible study @ my church & LOVIN divin’ deeper with God & Delighting in Him! A July study is perfect & will be a good review! Love & Prayers 🙂

• Pam says:

Hello from Louisiana! I bought this book and have been looking it over and I think it will be a great book. I can’t wait to get started.

• Allison says:

I am checking in from Arizona and I am also planning to participate in the Duty or Delight Study. I just completed the No Other Gods study and found this online study group very helpful to keep me accountable and consistent in studying the Bible and learning how to apply what I learn. This will be my 3rd Bible study…I also completed Beth Moore’s Breading Free last Spring (reviewed it in this online study as well). I look forward to continuing to overcome years of guilt for things I’ve already been forgiven for, doubting my salvation, insecurity, etc. and replacing it with self-confidence, self-assurance, and spiritual closeness with God.

• Cara Louise Reitbauer says:

MY BOOK IS HERE, MY BOOK IS HERE!
    am I excited?! oh yes!
    looking forward to studying with all of you!
    ~Cara Louise, from Eastern Pennsylvania

• Kelli says:

I am excited about this study! Looks like it will be great!

• Joann says:

My name is Joann. I am from Alabama. I teach at a Christian school and this summer I am spending 6 weeks recovering from a recent surgery – well, I’m SUPPOSED to spend 6 weeks recovering. I am not good at NOT doing things! I have never done an online Bible study before, but decided to jump in and give it a try. My book should be here by the end of the week. I am praying that God will speak to me through this study.

Looking forward to this one… Breaking Free and No Other Gods have both been so good!!! The more I am in His Word, the better I am. I’m fron Kentucky. I struggle most with guilt, beating myself up over my inadequacies.

• Dawn says:

Hi ~~ I’m Dawn from MO and I struggle most with guilt. Guilt of not spending enough time in the Word, or prayer; guilt that I’m not witnessing enough in the right ways and etc. etc. etc.

I am currently working through this study. I am really looking forward to participating in this study online.

Have a Blessed day,
    Dawn

• Jane says:

Jane from Eastern North Carolina
    At some point all three.

• Jennifer D says:

Jennifer D, San Antonio,

I am waiting on my copy of it.

What challenges you most in your walk of faith: guilt, confusion or duty?
    I think somestimes all.

• melody says:

I’M TRYING TO SIGN UP FOR DUTY OF DELIGHT IS THE THE WAY YOU DO IT??I’M NEW HERE…MELODY

• Joni Eastman says:

My name is Joni and I’m from a small town of around 4500 people in Texas. I’m a member of a really small church that my grandparents started some 50 years ago. I have had various duties in my church, such as SS teacher for children and young adults, and I currently play the piano for my church. I am so glad to get to go through this bible study and I feel I really need some guidance in having a joy filled relationship with God and not just a duty relationship in which I never feel I am doing enough. I have received the book I ordered and I am anticipating the start of this study. Thank you so much for making it available to us.

• Ginger says:

Joni,

I think I understand what you mean. For about four years, I worked at a very large church full-time. My duties at the church somehow became very confused with my own personal relationship with God. I am praying that all of us participating in this study will once again find delight in God rather than simply existing on the checklist mentality!

• Amy Cunningham says:

Hi my name is Amy and I live in Fort Mill SC. I am currently doing the Breaking Free study and I love it. I’m looking forward to learning more about God and my relationship with Him in this next study.
    God is good!

• Kathryn Champion says:

Okay – I’m back – LOL

My name is Kathryn and I am from LA – oh, not THAT LA – Lower Alabama – LOL

I think I would probably have to say that I also am challenged by all three at one time or another. Some days I feel guilty because I don’t feel that I spend the time in the Word that I should or in prayer, for that matter. I also feel ‘guilty’ on days that I don’t even take time to do my simple little devotional reading in the mornings! As for confused – honey, I STAY confused all the time! LOL

So, you can see why I’ve already been contemplating buying the book and doing it on my own. Now it will be much more fun and helpful since I’ll be able to do it with others. I’m truly looking forward to this and will get my book ordered pronto 🙂

• Lisa VanHaitsma says:

My name is Lisa, I live in West Michigan. I’m very excited about this Bible study. I feel very luke warm in my faith lately and I know that is not pleasing to the Lord. I want to reestablish my relationship and grow closer to God. I struggle most with duty but find all 3 areas a challenge for me lately.

• Marci says:

I’m Marci from Oklahoma. I love to study God’s Living Word with others. This is my first time in the Bible Cafe’ and I know this will be a HUGE blessing! My biggest challenge with my faith walk of the three listed would be duty. I feel a sense of duty more and more. God has opened my eyes to needs and directions that I never saw before. He has given me a confidence to open myself up to the Holy Spirit’s guidance and I feel a duty to share God’s love with others. I don’t feel like studying the Bible is a “duty” but rather putting Christ’s teaching into practice is a growing calling in my life. I am soooooo looking forward to this study!

• Ashaki says:

At this time I can honestly say at different times or different days I am challenged equally by the three. I am however so excited about this upcoming series.

• Debby says:

I name is Debby, I am from Texas. My challenge is duty. Maybe if I just pray this way, or I don’t have the right formula. I just want a relationship with God that is authentic. Looking forward to the study.

I’m Susan from Chesapeake and I am going to try my best to do both – -after doing the No Other Gods study, I want to fill up some of those empty places with a stronger relationship with God.

• Kathryn Champion says:

OOPS! I’m at work and just jumped on long enough to say how excited I was about the study – I just saw where it said to introduce myself, etc. – will get to that on my lunch hour 🙂

• Kari says:

My book just came! My book just came!! I am so excited…
    I am Kari from Canby, Oregon and this will be my first online Bible study. I look forward to meeting and sharing with other women.

• Kari says:

Lord, I am thinking this is just what I need to be learning this summer. How to have a delight in a relationship with you. Setting aside the judgments’ I imagine from others, and laying down my own judgments’ of myself and allowing myself to become a joyful believer, wife, mom and friend.

Just read the introduction to the study. I am so desperate for new life to be stirred up in me! Thank you new friends for encouraging, challenging, and supporting me on this journey.

• Kathryn Champion says:

WOO HOO!!!! I was sooooooooo excited to see this e-mail in my inbox!!! I am DEFINITELY going to take part in this one 🙂 I’ve been contemplating getting the book anyway and now I have others to go through it with so it will be even better! Can hardly wait to get started 🙂

Thanks!!!!!

• Sherri says:

Hi my name is Sherri. I’ve been going through a dry spell in my Christian walk and am looking forward to starting this study. I received a sales ad through the mail from life way and this book really just jumped out at me. I want to build my relationship with God and get off the religious roller coaster ride.

• Kari says:

Sherri,
      I understand both about the dry spell, and wanting to serve Christ without the feeling of being on a “roller coaster”. The most peaceful and excited I felt about Christ was when I was going through the Experiencing God Bible study. That was years ago, and that study was not well received by those around me. I am really looking forward to having new life breathed into me during this study, and allowing that to carry over into life around me. My biggest obsticale in my life is myself and my lack of discipline. I am hoping the structure of this study will help strengthen that skill in me.
      I am excited to learn with you Sherri, and hope we can become friends through this experience.
      ~ Kari

• Lil says:

This will be my first study here at Women’s Bible Cafe and I am looking forward to participating! I know what it’s like to do spiritual things because of ‘duty’ but delight is such a better motivator!

I will be posting here at the blog and hope to highlight snippets there.

• Amanda in NC says:

I’m Amanda from North Carolina. So excited to start this study. I want to make my relationship closer with God. I want a better prayer life and be more CONFIDENT in my salvation and not be asking for forgiveness for things I’ve already asked forgiveness for and carrying around guilt and “what if’s” in my mind! Prayers for a successful study for all!

Hi I am Sue Alice from Indiana and I am challenged most by my lost of faith and my prayer life going down hill. This study sounds like what I need at his time.
    I cannot wait to gey started!!! I need to get back were I need to be with the LORD. Blessing to all.

Hi I’m Angie from Missouri and I am challenged most by guilt in my walk of faith: guilt at not spending enough time in God’s word, guilt that I’m not praying right or enough, guilt that I’m not serving in some specific capacity, and on and on it goes. The description for this study sounds like just what I need and I cannot wait to get started!

Angie,

Nice to see you here with us. I will do better this time I hope. Blessings to you.

Good to see you as well, Sue Alice. I will be praying for you to persevere through your current struggle and for a renewal of your faith. Keep seeking hard after Him!

• Cara Louise Reitbauer says:

Hi,
    my name is Cara Louise, and I am from Eastern Pennsylvania.
    My walk of faith is challenged most by duty. A clear refrain has been ringing through my heart that I am to enjoy God’s presence, and in many ways I do. But I often feel that I haven’t accomplished anything unless I can check something off on some to-do list somewhere, that just ‘hanging out’ with God for some uninterrupted, unhurried, quiet time and ENJOYING it is of no use…and so here I am!

• Kathryn Champion says:

WOW Cara! That’s exactly how I feel sometimes – like I’m supposed to be able to “mark off” something on the checklist! Thank you for sharing! You put into words what I couldn’t 🙂

• Kathryn Champion says:

Okay – let’s try this again – I replied to you earlier Cara and it still isn’t showing up – hmmmmmmmm

Anyway – I was just really happy to see your comment because I can totally relate! I, too, feel like I’m supposed to be checking off something on a list! You put into words here what I couldn’t – thank you!

I’m truly looking forward to this Bible Study 🙂

• Cara Louise Reitbauer says:

Hi Kathryn! thanks for your comments (both of which came through by the way! a lot of discussion boards ‘hold’ a comment briefly before posting it…) I’m glad to know I’m not alone! You can find me on facebook if you are interested to chat further!

• Debbie says:

You said it perfectly….I want to enjoy God’s presence daily and hang out with God! This is going to be a great way to do Bible Study.

• Kari says:

My book is in the mail and should be here by the end of this week. Thank you for making this study possible. I am desperate for accountability and growth and have not linked into a local body where I live.

I am excited to grow with other women and make new friends.

• Rebecca Jo says:

I just saw Tammie at a Beth Moore conference this past weekend & so wanted to do this study. So to be able to do it with others just makes me excited. … for me – guilt is what challenges me. How can God forgive me? It doesnt make sense to me… I struggle with knowing that all is forgotten & the idea that we will still be judged. Excited to see where this study leads.

Christine S, California (San Francisco Bay Area), I’m reading this bible study because I’m challenged by confusion. There is so much information for Christians to digest, and often it will lead to religious debates. I seek to keep my eyes on God and off the disagreements. My duty is to Him and I want to delight in serving and loving Him more.