No Other Gods Bible Study Week 1

Welcome back to bible study, as we discuss week one from No Other Gods by Kelly Minter. While reading my lessons, I was reminded of an experience I had at the shopping mall on the day before Easter. I went into my local tea store to replace a broken tea pot.  As I checked out at the register, I set my purse before a small statue of Buddha. It offended me because I was looking at an idol of a false god. I did what any good Christian would do, I immediately said a prayer to the Lord and rebuked the false god. Two days later, I found myself reading about false gods and idol worship. With certainty, that small statue crossed my path as a visual reminder that false gods exist even today. Some idols are obvious, and some are hidden inside our hearts. Our bible study is about the modern gods clogging our spiritual life.

On page 15 of the No Other Gods workbook, Kelly Minter writes “A professed god is who or what we say our god is; a functional god is who or what actually operates as our god.” We then examined the false gods of modern society and those with our own hearts. Once we identified these, we saw how these idols make us slaves. We’re slaves to food, family members, illness, technology and even ourselves, and we are no longer mastered by God. Kelly Minter digs deep when she says “The only thing worse than being under the control of something to no fault of my own is to be under the control of something I’ve actually created.”

Were you shocked to uncover hidden gods and did this week’s lesson take you down a path of discovery you had not expected? Did you find a smirking pharaoh at the end of your study? This week we unveiled our personal pharaohs and next week we’ll examine why we have these idols in our Christian lives. As we examine scripture, we examine our own hearts and draw near to Him.

Our Prayer Wall has many requests, so please print the page, place a copy in your workbook and pray for these women who are asking for your help. The best way to print the page is to copy and past the prayers into a Word document. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.

Kelly Minter Quotes

• God was getting my worship, but my gods were getting my service.
  • Our false gods have taken up our most treasured spaces, leaving little room for God to show Himself strong on our behalf.
  • As with anything human, church always mixes the glorious with the flawed.
  • Anything taking the place of God in our lives deserves our attention.
  • Having freedom from our idols begins by recognizing our powerless against them.
  • What we treasure apart from God is where we find our idols.

2. Complete this sentence by filling in the blanks:  _________ had become my pharaoh and it kept me  ____________.
  4. If you want, share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

In Him,

• yes I discovered what I already knew but would not face, Food is my pharaoh and I am in bondage to food and fat, I do not have a picture with my grandbabies because of my weight, and I do not go anywhere unless its a have to, I need help and feeling that God has lead me to… No Other Gods!! Pray for me and I look forward to this journey!!

• Carla says:

1. Yes. Dependence and comfort in those that i have on this earth (i.e. my mom, husband, brothers, MIL, family in general)
    2. Complete this sentence by filling in the blanks: ____school_____ had become my pharaoh and it kept me ____bound________.
    3. On page 23, Kelly Minter writes “Am I doing this for God’s glory, or for my own glory, pride, comfort, happiness or other selfish motives?’ Looking at your personal pharaoh in answer 2 above, which one of these motives feeds your pharaoh: My own glory
    4. Just being in this study has given me a sense of being back on track and in the will of God!

• Natale says:

1. Did you uncover hidden idols in this week’s study? Yes.
    1a. If so, what did you find? By using the definition by Ken Sande, I pretty much found that money is my functioning god. Being a single mother of two children, I have put my trust (peacefulness) in money to keep us fed, housed, and clothed instead of God who really is in control of those things.

2. Money had become my pharaoh and it kept me from enjoying time with God, my kids, friends, and extended family because I worked so fervently to obtain it.

3. On page 23, Kelly Minter writes “Am I doing this for God’s glory, or for my own glory, pride, comfort, happiness or other selfish motives?’ Looking at your personal pharaoh in answer 2 above, which one of these motives feeds your pharaoh: your own glory, pride, comfort, happiness or selfish motives? I would say comfort and happiness. Although my intentions were good by pursuing the money in order to provide for my children, the need for more became very inflated. I could have and still can cut back on some things so that the need is not as great.

If you want, share a favorite moment from this week’s study. I just loved the entire week. I enjoy how Kelly Minter breaks the information down and gives you a chance to reflect on what was just reviewed.

• Kami says:

1. Church work is my idol
    2. Church work had become my pharaoh and it kept me from taking care of myself, my family and my friends.
    3. “Am I doing this for God’s glory, or for my own glory, pride, comfort, happiness or other selfish motives?” I think I am doing this for selfish motives. I want to lead other women and will put all my time into that not realizing that I am a woman than needs growth, friendships and a personaly relationship with God.
    4. I loved the part of professed god versus a functional god. I liked what she said on pg 18 “…it could also be something incredibly good that has only turned bad by virtue of how much it consumes you.” How true this is. To admit that something good can become a god to me. What she said on the side of pg 19 “Achievement had become my pharaoh and it kept me anxious, self-centered, and generally discontented in life.” How true!! Being skilled and wise are worthy and desirable goals. They become a problem when we use these things to create false gods that we end up serving.
    I just loved the whole week. So much to think on and reflect and she had a way of explaining it and allowing me to get it.

• Lisa C. says:

1. Did you uncover hidden idols in this week’s study? If so, what did you find? (page 15 ) Media (i.e. email, FB, latest fun website) All is time consuming and takes away from my family and time I could be spending with God.
    2. Complete this sentence by filling in the blanks: I had become my pharaoh and it kept me from focusing on God rather than myself.
    3. On page 23, Kelly Minter writes “Am I doing this for God’s glory, or for my own glory, pride, comfort, happiness or other selfish motives?’ Looking at your personal pharaoh in answer 2 above, which one of these motives feeds your pharaoh: your own glory, pride, comfort, happiness or selfish motives? All of them. I’m so busy trying to get my act together that I can’t keep up. I waste time, I get involved in too many things which I don’t finish, and I am so busy trying to do what i want that I am not even trying to do what God would want me to do.
    4. If you want, share a favorite moment from this week’s study. 2 Kings 17:15 We become what we worship/treasure. We become what we follow.

• Jennifer D says:

4. If you want, share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    a) Is the way Kelly invited us into the bible study, making if felt that we were there with her doing the bible study.
    b) The definitions that are in book, for example on page 15 in top of corner.
    c) Page 19, when we had to write our own prayer.
    d) On page 23 listing the skills and how they glorify God
    e) The song on page 25

• Ashley E. says:

1. The desire to be married has been a hidden idol in my life. I never realized how strong the need to fill the hole in my life from not having a father was and even still is. I spent a long time searching for that special someone that God already had planned for me. I should have spent more time looking to God and waiting on Him to show me who my Earthly mate would be.

2. The need to have a male presence in my life had become my pharaoh and it kept me from truly seeking satisfaction in Christ alone.

3. I would have to say that jealousy and the desire for happiness were my motives. When I was young, I was jealous of all of my friends who had a dad. When I got older, I was jealous of all the people who had found someone to love them. I desperately wanted to be happy with someone else. It’s not that I didn’t want to be happy with Christ, I just wasn’t putting it first in my life.

4. My favorite moment from this week’s study was when I realized how much God still loves me. No, I haven’t ever really put Him first, but I honestly want to now. I want Him to be the center of my future marriage. I want Him to be the Master of my life.

1. My hidden idols are definitely books, TV and the dogs.

2. BOOKS, TV or anything that keeps me away from spending time with God.

3. Selfish motives.

• Leigh says:

1.Did you uncover hidden idols in this week’s study? If so, what did you find?
    I live in North Alabama and our area was hit with terrible tornados last week. We were very lucky and the storms missed us by about 15 miles. But we had no power for six days. I was doing this study during the storms and finished the day after sitting outside in the beautiful sunshine. I had answered all the questions that my idol was food. But after six days of no power, I realized TV, facebook and all electronics are definitely my HIDDEN idols. It was nice concentrating on God, my bible study and my family with no disctractions!! My eyes will be open for the rest of the study.

1. Did you uncover hidden idols in this week’s study? If so, what did you find?
    Although I have several idols, I think FAMILY is my biggest one.
    as a child I didn’t have a close family – – and so I always wanted the “perfect” family – – and over the past couple of years there has been much loss in my family – – and I have allowed the pain and loss to get in undermind my faith, my physical, emotional, mental and spiritual well being.

2. Complete this sentence by filling in the blanks: __FAMILY _______ had become my pharaoh and it kept me Loving God as much as I should____________.

I think it was a combination of things – -comfort, happiness, and a desire for unconditional love . .and aren’t they all selfish?

4. If you want, share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    I really liked where she discussed where you heart is there your treasure is also. I remembered the intensity of love I had for Christ when I first gave my life to Him. He was in First Place . . and then slowly that intensity dulled . .I don’t think I ever reached complacency – -because Christ has always been a priority – -but I think the focus shifted.

• Rhoda says:

Another favorite moment was trying the Black Beans and Rice recipe at the end of Session One. I purchased my first rice cooker from Target which cooks white or brown rice and it is the easiest way to make brown rice. I used Hinode brown rice (in brown bag at Safeway) two cups rice and water to #2 line in cooker turn on and in one hour we had yummy brown rice to pour black beans over. I prepared bean dish while rice cooked. I had avocado slices. organic tortilla chips and pineapple salsa from Trader Joes and a salad with cilantro dressing also from Trader Joes and five family members enjoyed a healthy delicious cinco de mayo dinner! One member was last minute guest which I shared this Bible Study with as I told her where recipe had come from. She also thought it was delicious…her husband had just hurt his back earlier in the day while in Hawaii doing a tile job for a relative and we prayed and encouraged each other as I cooked and as we ate this meal had phone call that he was getting the medical attention and was doing better..she now could fly to Hawaii as planned…next Wednesday for one week vacation with her husband. I call these “ministry meals” when this happens. Having these recipes is an unexpected treat with this Bible Study and look forward to trying the next one and who I will share it with…

• Jenny says:

1.Did you uncover hidden idols in this week’s study?
    This study this week has made me take a total different look at idols. I think the main idol I discovered this week is by busy schedule and ability to fill up my time.

2.Complete this sentence by filling in the blanks: Business had become my pharaoh and it kept me from growing in my relationship with God and slowly impacting my marriage.

At all different times all four of the motives most likely comes into play. Pride keeps me from asking for help and handing this off to free up my schedule. Glory at times also plays a role in this. These are just two examples.

• Lynmara says:

1. This week I discovered that my idol has been work. For some reason I had in mind shopping, but the realized that I spend too much time at work and trying to please my boss. I have prayed and now feel better about following God’s plan.

This week has been hard. My husband confessed to infedility. I do not why but I feel calm (yes I am sad, but there is a peace in my heart) He accepted Jesus and had to confess. I am so confused. I just have to trust that I am in God’s hands.

• Lil says:

I just got my workbook should be caught up with everyone by Monday 😉

• Laura says:

1. Did you uncover hidden idols in this week’s study? If so, what did you find? (page 15 ) Exercise and longing for an equally yoked marriage
    2. Complete this sentence by filling in the blanks: stubborness had become my pharaoh and it kept me from finding my satisfaction completely in God.
    3. On page 23, Kelly Minter writes “Am I doing this for God’s glory, or for my own glory, pride, comfort, happiness or other selfish motives?’ Looking at your personal pharaoh in answer 2 above, which one of these motives feeds your pharaoh: your own glory, pride, comfort, happiness or selfish motives? the exercise is definitely pride. The desiring for my husband to be surrendered to God I think is comfort and longing to share the most important part of me with him. I guess that could also be selfish, but I just so long for him to love the Lord.
    4. If you want, share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    Reading about functional versus professed gods was eye opening to me. I don’t want anything to be a substitute for God and all that He has for my life.

• Sara Epps says:

I did not realize that my worry was a form of idol, and also the day to day like facebook tv etc etc. I have also notice that even work because money is a idol working all the time not because you have to but because you want more and more money I use to work alot of overtime until i got laid off and realize i can live within my means so now i only do overtime when work tells me too and not because i am so worried that i end up being so tired i don’t have time for anything else. This study is a eyeopener already.

• Margie says:

1.Did you uncover hidden idols in this week’s study? If so, what did you find? Yes, lack of trust in the Lord, maybe some impatience.

2. Impatience has become my pharaoh and it kept me from trusting God.

It seems that I would like to do things in my time frame (which is now) instead of waiting for God’s timing.

• Elle says:

1.Did you uncover hidden idols in this week’s study? If so, what did you find? Yes, I uncovered clothing, tv, internet, and my image/what others think of me.

2.Complete this sentence by filling in the blanks: __Fashion__ had become my pharaoh and it kept me unsatisfied_.

This is for my own glory, which is hard to say.

4.If you want, share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    After reading Exodus 20, I really went through the 10 commandments and study them and prayed to see where I needed to ask for forgiveness.

• Christine D says:

1.Did you uncover hidden idols in this week’s study? If so, what did you find? Yes, I found that my hidden idol is money and material “stuff”.

2.Complete this sentence by filling in the blanks: Material Stuff had become my pharaoh and it kept me from spending time with God.

I was doing it for my own happiness. I loved the rush of buying things. I loved looking online and placing items into my cart. I thought I needed more stuff….that I just had to have it. Or, that I had to “have” it because it was on sale….and so on. I can go on and on.

4.If you want, share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    This is a great study to do alongside with Breaking Free. I see similarities in both studies.

• Pat says:

1. Yes I found several idols even some that I would not have thought of as idols – Computer games, facebook, money (or lack of). It was all there smacking me in the face. I really didn’t like what I saw.

I am doing this for happiness and myself. I should have realized that my happiness is with God and not with the idols.

• Amy says:

Training for triathlon’s and working out in general has become a very big hidden idol. I can spend hours of my time doing these things and push through a grueling workout when I am tired and sick, but I don’t give God the same. Another hidden idol is control of things that might hurt me or my family.

Proving to others and to myself that I am a physically strong woman has become my pharaoh and has kept me from spending the time I need with God.

I am doing this first and foremost for myself, pride, happiness, and feeling of amazing accomplishment. I have failed to realize or understand that my races and my workouts are not accomplished by my own strength, even though I make them about me.

• Holly says:

1.Did you uncover hidden idols in this week’s study? If so, what did you find? (page 15

I did discover quite a few idols ….. I assumed, before starting the study, that my companionship/relationship with my fiancee, is an idol.I think this is my biggest idol…. I depend too much on my fiancee and my time spent with him, and i need God to be more important. I woudl not say that i ‘worship’ my fiancee himself, but the relationship and committment between us. I MUST become more independent of him and more dependent on God.

2.Complete this sentence by filling in the blanks: __My relationship_ has become my pharaoh and has kept me __distanced from God_.

3.I am doing this for my own comfort and hapiness, for the here and now.

• Davie says:

Man, do I have a lot of idols, some hidden and some so in your face no one could miss them! You name it, and I probably worship it.

2. Complete this sentence by filling in the blanks: The image I have created for myself, of what I should be has become my pharaoh and it keeps me chronically disappointed.

• Jayce says:

1. Did you uncover hidden idols in this week’s study? If so, what did you find?

Success, achievement, perfectionism. All relate to my issues of control.

2. Complete this sentence by filling in the blanks: ____Success_____ had become my pharaoh and it kept me _____letting go of control of things in my life that I should turn over to God_______.

My pride definitely feeds my need for success because I think that I can handle things on my own and think that I can always do things the “right” way. Comfort is also a motive for my need of success because I am very opinionated and feel comfortable making my own decisions.

• Jennifer Martin says:

1. Finances (money) seems to be my hidden idol. We are trying to pay off our student loans and house. And then we decide I should continue my education and take one step back financially.

2. Getting ahead had become my pharaoh and it kept me from being happy and praising God in the current moment.

3. Glory, pride, comfort, happiness or selfish motives are evident with my idol.

4. pg. 19 The deceiving element that the more I tried to control it, the more it was controlling me.

• Victoria says:

1. I’m gonna kinda copy from Shirley in saying that I knew I had idols, I just never called them that or acknowledged that is what they were.
    Some of mine are organization/clean house/perfection/food/body

Perfection or Measuring up had become my pharaoh and it kept me from truly enjoying God’s presence and grace.

Pride and my own glory feed my pharaoh. I like to be looked at as “put together” and I sure enjoy to be bragged on…so ashamed to admit to that…

My favorite moment was just diving into His Word and it was like we were seeing eachother for the first time in forever! I really got into it. I was reading out of Psalm 16 and there were so many verses that were jumping out at me that go hand in hand with this study…I could hardly contain myself, I was so excited to be making those connections and just communing with God!

My secret confession: If I did not feel “put together” wearing nice clothes that fit my overweight body, I did not attend church. That’s how powerful pride and perfection can be! I cared more about my self-image than about worshiping my Father in His house.

I’m going back to read the entire Psalm 16, thanks Victoria!

Thank you for this Christine! I cannot tell you how many times I have skipped church because I felt fat or felt that my clothes weren’t up to par. I never before this second realized that this was pride and that I was putting my self-image before my God. Thank you for your honesty, it made a difference in my life today.

You’re welcome Angie. By telling the truth, we humble ourselves and let go of pride

And those who walk in pride he is able to humble. Daniel 4:37 NIV

• Davie says:

I have to agree with Angie, thank you all for sharing. I too have “hidden” myself away from the world because I feel ashamed of the way I now look. I still expect to be the slender put together size two instead of the overflowing size eight that I am. I am too focused on what others see of me. I need to be concerned with how God sees me. Am I pleasing to Him? Am I placing Him where He needs to be? Sounds like I will be reading Psalm 16 right along with you ladies. Praying we all will receive freedom from our prideful self image!

• Victoria says:

I am so right there with all of you! I’ve gotten so mad at times that I have thrown a temper tantrum hissy fit and by the time I was done, my bedroom floor was full of those too-snug clothes, just taunting me…cause then, I had a mess on top of everything else…justifying my skipping church with the mess and having nothing to wear.

Oh how we are so silly at times. 🙂

Hope you all enjoy Psalm 16! I really, really enjoyed it and was thankful my pastor had pointed it out to me.

• Shirley Coolidge says:

Thank you ladies. I will be reading Psalm 16 as well. I spend way too much time putting myself together and making sure that I am “perfect” before I step out that door. I like knowing that people see me….and I have placed too much value on that instead of them just knowing and loving me for who I am. It is a constant struggle….to find myself a “new creation in God” and know that God loves me just the way I am!!

• Shirley Coolidge says:

I found my hidden idols. I knew I had them, just never called them what they actually were. Food is an idol for me, the ideal weight. That ever elusive perfect body.

Weight had become my pharaoh and it kept me hostage by having me spend and spend trying to get the perfect weight

My own glory is the reason that I seek this weight loss. I do of course want to be healthy but if I am speaking honestly, it is because I want others to see me as beautiful and I ty all of that into my weight.

I love worshiping God with music, so hearing Kelly’s song and being able to just pray that to God was an awesome experience.

• Allison says:

2. Complete this sentence by filling in the blanks: Low self-esteem, Negativity and guilt have become my pharaoh and it keep me from feeling like a valued daughter of God.

4. An “ah ha” moment for me from this week’s study.
    “People who are obsessed with body image might excessively work out,
    spend their time and money on workout equipment, pour over fitness
    magazines, count every calorie, talk disproportionately about physical
    image, and become extreme in their pursuit of diets and weight loss.”

Unfortunately, this is probably how my family and acquaintances would describe me. I feel I cannot “fix” all of the things that are wrong with me on the inside, but I can control what my physical appearance looks like.

Wow Allison! That is a deep discovery for you. The Holy Spirit is moving in your life and once He convicts you, He leads you. Pray over this and He’ll teach you how to reclaim your identity as Daughter of the King and not Daughter of the Mirror.

• Rhoda says:

A favorite moment this week was reading Luke 12:29 “And do not set your heart upon what you will eat or drink: do not worry about it.” For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. But seek his kingdom and all these things will be given to you as well.”

It became very clear that if I worry about ANYTHING even a good thing as food and drink I am not putting God first. He so desires to give us all we need and all we need to do is seek Him first!

I liked this verse too. And you’re right, WORRY put’s God second in our lives.

“Worry cleavers the mind, splitting thoughts between today and tomorrow.” Max Lucado

• Brook says:

1.Did you uncover hidden idols in this week’s study? If so, what did you find? Yes, several. 🙁 Achievement – getting the best possible grades for my graduate classes; Good Reputation – drawing clients to our practice because of the experience other clients have had in the group I lead; and Whole Foods Diet – spending too much time researching recipes, preparing healthy foods and looking for the best ingredients to fit our budget. I am also processing a comment someone told me several years ago. They said I am materialistic. I believe this is because I enjoy crafting, repurposing and decorating our home. I still do not believe the comment is true, but I am seeking God on the matter once again because the comment still stings.

2.Complete this sentence by filling in the blanks: Success had become my pharaoh and it kept me busy looking for more and better ways to reach the clients in my care.

3.On page 23, Kelly Minter writes “Am I doing this for God’s glory, or for my own glory, pride, comfort, happiness or other selfish motives?’ Looking at your personal pharaoh in answer 2 above, which one of these motives feeds your pharaoh: your own glory, pride, comfort, happiness or selfish motives? In meeting with my supervisor today I was taken aback to realize that when I’m told that I do good work or complimented, I give God the glory. But when a client struggles and maybe has a set back, I feel guilty and take the responsibility. So, to answers shared would apply to my situation.

Brook, I wonder if perfection is the idol? Pray on this and see where it leads you. I saw this in myself when I took the Breaking Free study.

• Gwen says:

Did you uncover hidden idols in this week’s study? If so, what did you find?
    Oh yes. I knew about the TV and computer, but there is more. Since I have lost a lot of weight (almost 50#), I have been absorbed by clothes and makeup, spending money on that and not being faithful in my giving to God.

Complete this sentence by filling in the blanks: My obsession with my appearance had become my pharaoh and it kept me from_putting my God first before all else.

I think my own pride. I can’t say happiness, because happiness is long-term joy. Mine is more short-term pleasure, as in the TV and Facebook.

If you want, share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    My “ah-ha” moment was when Kelly asked the question, “Are you still relying on yourself to conquer your pharaoh?” Well, duh. No wonder I am not succeeding in conquering these gods. I am trying to do it on my own. All I have to do is put my cares in God’s “In Box” and leave them there. Now to just do it.

When you put on your beauty, put it on for God’s pleasure, not yours or mans. It’s His temple.

Congratulations on the weight loss! Can you give me any tips, I’m adding pounds as I age and frustrated that I cannot win the health battle.

I love the image of the “God Box.” That’s a great quote:
      “All I have to do is put my cares in God’s “In Box” and leave them there. Now to just do it.” Gwen, Daughter of the King

• Debby says:

Did you uncover hidden idols in this week’s study? If so, what did you find?
    yes, putting efforts to have the life that I think would make me happy. If only I were doing this, etc.

Complete this sentence by filling in the blanks: Fear of stepping out and taking some risks had become my pharaoh and it kept me isolated.

On page 23, Kelly Minter writes “Am I doing this for God’s glory, or for my own glory, pride, comfort, happiness or other selfish motives?’ Looking at your personal pharaoh in answer 2 above, which one of these motives feeds your pharaoh: your own glory, pride, comfort, happiness or selfish motives? comfort

If you want, share a favorite moment from this week’s study. Just taking time to think about what my idols were.

Many of us are listing comfort as a motive for our idols. You’ve inspired me to scan scripture using this word, and see where the Holy Spirit leads me. 🙂 Thanks!!!

• Brystan says:

1. This helped me to finally admit that my boyfriend is my “idol” we’ve been together for a long time and I love him dearly and we’ve been through a lot…but he shouldn’t come before me and my relationship with God. I never thought I was “cheating” on him by becoming closer to God, but before starting this I hadn’t realized how I was “cheating” God by ignoring Him. and I should add that it isn’t his demanding I be with him all the time. Perhaps I should clarify that it is my relationship with my boyfriend that I put before my relationship with God.

2. My relationship had become my pharaoh and it kept me hidden from God.

3. Happiness? Maybe comfort would be a better word. I spend a lot of time making sure everything at home and with family and everyone else is comfortable and okay, so that I can be “comfortable and okay” but without God..I’m not really okay.

4. I was just really touched by the verse(s), and I’m paraphrasing but basically it is “An Idol is something other than God that we set our heart on (Luke 12:29; 1 Cor. 10:19), that motivates us (1 Cor. 4:5), that masters and rules us (Ps. 119:133; Eph. 5:5), or that we trust, fear, or serve (Isa. 42:17; Matt 6:24; Luke 12:4-5).

I understand perfectly Brystan, when I look back on my life I see how I put boyfriends on the throne and gave them more room and power over my heart than God. It’s an easy trap to fall into when humans affirm us and meet our emotional and tangible needs. I recently read Max On Life by Max Lucado and he said to marry someone who loves God more than you do. Good advice!

I like your verse collection, thank you for sharing it!

• Jessica says:

1. The idol that I undercoverd this week and one that I have battled with is Jealousy. I know that I should be happy with what I have but it often crosses my mind that I want what others have.
    2. Jealousy had become my pharoah and it kept me from seeing the true blessings that stand right in front of me.
    4. I am so thankful that I am doing this study because it has helped me to realize that the only person I should be worried about pleasing is my Lord Jesus Christ.

• SaVonni Yestanti says:

Hey, Christine!

I would love to join this study, if possible. If so, do I purchase the workbook in the same place as the last? Let me know! Blessings…

🙂

• Denise says:

1) Did you uncover hidden idols this weeks….the success of my business is my hidden idol. It’s not because I want to be a “successful business person”. I could care less about that, but I’m a single mom of 3 young boys and I work two part time jobs. I have a big desire to be home with them more. We also homeschool and sometimes I just don’t have enough time because I’m working. If my business was “more successful,” then I could be a full time stay at home mom! While I believe my intentions are good, my business is stealing time away from God!

• lauren says:

1.I think I have several areas that need work on. The biggest of these is facebook, as I mentioned before. I need to be deliberate in addressing this.
    2.Complete this sentence by filling in the blanks: _Insecurity________ had become my pharaoh and it kept me _from growing close to God___________.
    My own comfort. I am so insecure, which leads to me not stepping out as I should. I am uncomfortable in new situations and in many social situations. I have many “friends” but still feel lonely at times, and therefore I avoid new or uncomfortable situations.
    4.If you want, share a favorite moment from this week’s study.I’ve really enjoyed this week. I am a day behind in Breaking Free, but I think these two studies are complimenting each other. I really enjoyed Day 5.

Break down the many features of Facebook (games, chats, fellowship) and see if you can dissect what attracts you. When I found myself using Twitter too much, I would start having “social media fasts” and tell my friends I’d be offline. In the fast, I turned to the bible. I’ve now automated much of my Twitter posts, so I do not need to be online yet I’m still sharing God’s Word and quotes.

Insecurity stems from pride and fear. We don’t have enough confidence in ourselves and we’re afraid to make a mistake or be rejected. Even Moses was insecure! Look at scripture on pride or fear, find 3-4 verses and memorize them. (hint: search “not shaken”) At the end of the day, your relationship with Christ matters most. Draw strength from Him. Put on your royal crown, knowing you are a Daughter of the King.

Like you, I see parallels in Breaking Free and this study. 🙂

• Michelle says:

1. The most obvious idol I have uncovered so far is fear of failing as a mother.

2. Fear had become my pharaoh and it kept me constantly trying to maintain control.

3. Comfort feeds my pharaoh. If I am not in control, I am afraid, and if I am afraid, I am uncomfortable. Constantly doing everything possible to be the best mother to my children makes me feel like I can control this fear of failure.

4. My favorite moment was reading the following quote: “The only thing worse than being under the control of something to no fault of my own is to be under the control of something I’ve actually created.” No one has put pressure on me to be mother of the year. It is only about my own fears and desires for my children. I have created this pharaoh.

Thanks for sharing this- I too never imagined that we can be slaves to fear. It’s probably the root of my codependency, so I’m going to pray over this for myself. Your children don’t want your perfection, they want your love. Jesus does not want your perfection, He wants your obedience.

• Christina C. says:

1. I discovered that my hidden idol is perfectionism. I always have to be planning ahead for everything from cleaning the house, meals, family outings. I somehow feel a sense of comfort and security of being in control of what will happen next instead of leaving it in God’s hands. I have turned something good into something that controls me. I actually feel like all this planning and wanting things to be just right actually prevents me from getting as much done.

This bible study is really opening my eyes!

• Victoria says:

I so feel ya girl! I am the exact same way and you are right, this Bible study is eye-opening! Hope you don’t mind me saying this but: glad to be on this journey with a fellow control-freak!
      Praying we learn to let go of the reigns so that He can lead us!

I’m a recovered perfectionist…though there is still some lingering dust I need to clean. 🙂 After reading the book Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, I started to see my cleaning in a new light. 1) My home needs to be ready at all times for Jesus, and if it’s imperfect, I would not turn Him away 2) am I being a good steward of what the Lord has given me

So when I clean or plan, I look with spiritual eyes. “Is this pleasing to God,” is always on my mind.

You’ll like the FlyLady system of cleaning!!

• Victoria says:

FlyLady is great. I have not had the time to really get totally into it, but I have taken some tips from there. A lady at my church pointed me to the website about a year ago. And then my friend Cara that I am doing NOGS with, was directed there recently by the same lady! And she loves it!

I am going to have to look into that book…and thank you for saying “recovered perfectionist”. I so long for the day when I can say those words and proclaim that the transformation was all to the glory of God!

• Tara says:

1. An idol that came to light last week for me is my desire to please man rather than God. I am far too concerned with myself and how I look to other people than how God sees me. One area that this became glaringly obvious to me is that I have been considering homeschooling my children next year. Everything about it seems right for my family and the main thing that is holding me back, I am sad to say, is what will people think. I keep asking myself if I am really willing to sacrifice a great opportunity for my three sons just so I can continue to blend in with everyone else? I am so ashamed!

2. Pleasing man (and ultimately my pride) has become my pharaoh and it keeps me missing blessings from God as I seek myself rather than Him!

3. It is my own glory and pride that motivates my pharaoh. I long to be accepted and loved by all. This desire for self glorification drives me and has caused me to become someone I’m really not!

4. I really appreciated the definitions. It is easy to think you don’t struggle with wood and golden images! Now the truth will set me free!

It sounds like the Holy Spirit convicted you to homeschool, and then you were tempted with pride. Look UP and keep your eyes on God, not your extended family and friends. A horizontal view is when we turn to man for approval, a vertical view is when we turn to God. Reminder yourself that you serve an audience of One. Surround yourself with other homeschooling Moms, there are several with blogs and a few in this bible study too!

• Rhoda says:

Many parents choose to homeschool in this country…for different reasons.
      I have four adult children now and worked part time or full time as Christian school teacher once they were of school age. As infants I was stay at home mom which is a job in itself. They attended Christian schools, public schools and one year I home schooled my eigth grade twin daughters, second grade daughter and also had 3 year old son. We used Abeka and Bob Jones Christian school curriculum and connected with a home school group for information, accountability and record keeping. We had a wonderful, positive experience which our daughters still remember.All the materials we needed were provided even an algebra class taught by video. God knows I couldn’t teach Algebra to anyone! We chose to do it for that one year because of circumstances at the time and the following year we returned to the Christian school they were attending and I worked at. After raising our children to love God and His Word, education was a priority and each year we had to make the choice of what was best for our children. They are successful adults today who love the Lord and are now having and raising their children and one of the twin daughters has mentioned if needed will home-school our second grade and pre school age grandchildren.
      It sounds from your email that you are making choices for your children’s education and I just want to encourage you as Christine did to put God first in your choice and He will provide everything you need. He can lead you to the right home school group and curriculum for you. It was 1988-89 when I did it and there was a lot out there for home-schoolers then there must be a lot more now…

I homeschooled my daughter in the 4th grade while she was on a waiting list and transferring to a different Christian school. Like you, it was a “season” in my life and not my identity. I loved every minute of it and even learned some things myself as we studied together. I wouldn’t trade the opportunity for anything. As long as I remember my identity is in Christ, nothing else matters. I follow my heart as I follow my One true Friend.

• Lisa H says:

books, money, twitter

2. Complete this sentence by filling in the blanks: _Complacency_ had become my pharaoh and it kept me _powerless_.

my own comfort – there is a bunch of laziness in this complacency – the “I don’t want to do that, or I don’t care about that” thinking

1. Did you uncover hidden idols in this week’s study? If so, what did you find?
    Yes,for years I have desired to have a home of my own. I realized through this weeks study that I have allowed this to become an idol for me in that I have always thought that I would be satisfied and happy once I have a home of my own instead of finding my satisfaction and happiness in God right where I’m at.

2. Money (lack of) has become my pharaoh and it keeps me ashamed at being my age and still not any better off financially than when I graduated high school; discontent with where I’m at in life; and worried about how I will make ends meet.

4. If you want, share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    I really appreciated the definitions by Ken Sande and Richard Keyes. Both of these really helped clarify for me just exactly what an idol is.

When I was younger money was an idol in my life. I worked my way into an expensive home with a nanny, housecleaner and gardener. I was not happy and constantly in fear that we’d lose all we had worked hard to obtain. After attending a Focus on the Family Marriage retreat, my husband and I decided to downsize and I decided to be a stay-at-home mom. We sold the house two years after buying it, and I quit my 15 year career as a real estate agent. A few months later, the entire housing market dropped! If I had stayed in my dream home I would have lost it to a foreclosure and been unable to pay the mortgage or sell the home in a bad market. I put my faith and trust in money, not God, and when He showed me I was living a life not pleasing to Him, I rearranged it.

When the Holy Spirit convicts us, be obedient. What can you change about your view. I was raised in a wealthy community and started modeling my parents habits rather than modeling Godly habits. So I attended Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University and re-educated myself.

• Jenny says:

Is it too late to join this study?

Not too late Jenny, get a workbook and join us! The lessons are short and if you do 2 a day you’ll be on track with the rest of the group.

1. Did you uncover hidden idols in this week’s study? If so, what did you find? Yes, I was shocked to uncover codependency as my personal pharaoh. Keeping peace in my home while family members have diagnosed mood disorders has become a daily effort, as I depend on myself rather than God. I thought I had overcome this with counseling, apparently the little pest is still lurking in my heart. I’m thankful this study helped me realize the power it can have over my spiritual life.

2. Codependency had become my pharaoh and it keeps me overeating, isolated socially and generally unhappy.

3. Comfort feeds my codependency. I am not seeking peace for God’s glory, when I am codependent I’m seeking peace to avoid discomfort.

4. I liked the definition of a professed god compared to a functional god. My functional god is codependency. I did not realize this until after reading week one.

• Sandy says:

I too, am co-dependent! That is one busy job! My son is away at rehab and that has been a huge break not watching everything he does. He is due to come home in two weeks and the dread is setting in. My other son has anxiety issues, as well as myself. I’m exhausted just trying to hold everyone together. It is a huge challenge to try to continually, everyday, give it to God. But, really that is all we have. Thanks for sharing Christine. The personal things you wrote really struck a chord with me. I ditto most of everything you said. 🙂